Are you a vegetarian?

Started by q1we3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Honestly, you suck as a troll. I would rate you at a 1 on the troll scale... I just like to hear what other stupid things you can say to make yourself look more like a complete doofus.

I would rate you much higher on gullibility scale, a perfect 10.
 
I would rate you much higher on gullibility scale, a perfect 10.

Honestly, when you said the bit about just getting a reaction out of us, it made me think you that you aren't actually a vegetarian. And if this is the case, I think it's sort of pathetic to come onto another forum to start a debate in an uneducated manner just for entertainment. If you actually wanted to discuss the topic, I think doing so intelligently would have been fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate these threads. Mostly because of the anti-vegetarianism/veganish satire or whatever you call them. I have reached the point in my vegetarian career that if one more person makes a crack about vegetarians to my face, I am going to deck them. 🙄 It gets old.

Cue meme:

BEEF_c_138165.jpg
 
That's why asked if they tasted good, meaning would you eat them for pleasure. And the answer was yes. Eating due to starvation is a whole another issue. The fact that matters is we are not starving nor we are stuck with animals as the only protein source. Don't try to justify that we are eating them so they don't take over the world.

How do you know we're not starving? Have you seen the bills for vet school?

There are a lot of people in the US that do starve, so I don't see a need to completely shut down that market here.

What makes this troll even better than some of the previous ones is that she STILL USES ANIMALS FOR HER BENEFIT but fails to see it..

She wants the world to go vegetarian not vegan... big differences.

👍

Honestly, you suck as a troll. I would rate you at a 1 on the troll scale... I just like to hear what other stupid things you can say to make yourself look more like a complete doofus.

😍

I hate these threads. Mostly because of the anti-vegetarianism/veganish satire or whatever you call them. I have reached the point in my vegetarian career that if one more person makes a crack about vegetarians to my face, I am going to deck them. 🙄 It gets old.

I think vegetarians are awesome. I tried it but didn't enjoy it and became so mad about things quickly that I stopped. I know that's my own fault, but.. Kudos to you for being able to do it! I do eat less meat since I tried it though!

I think they should post in the Lounge... :meanie:

Too scared.
 
Dyachei -

Please close this thread. OP has essentially admitted to trolling.

And give him an infraction:
Serious thread should be serious.
Obnoxious joke threads belong in the lounge.

Someone posting to just rile up a group should be infracted.

SOV, the matter has been handled.
 
Last edited:
Interesting, so it doesn't bother you that in several countries people eat dogs, cats, horses as delicacies. Aren't you people all pro animal rights and such? I thought this field would have the most empathetic people towards animals. Animals are not to be harmed for human taste buds, you know that sort of thing.

My whole undergraduate degree is in animal agriculture, so I am familiar with this.

There is a BIG difference between animal rights and animal welfare. Animal rights activists tend to equivocate animals with humans. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying animals are not important, I highly respect animals, but their needs are always exactly not the same as a humans. People make the mistake of thinking that the animal's life must always be like a humans in order for that animal to be happy, when that is not always true.

Each vet has their own opinions, but our career focuses more on improving animal welfare, not animal rights. Basically, improving/maintaining the environment, conditions and health of the animal so that the animal has the highest quality of life possible (and unfortunately we do have restraints on certain things ... like funding/money. economics is a big factor). But we do ensure that animals are raised humanely for consumption. There are laws that protect animal welfare too.

Plus if all people didn't eat meat, most of us would be out of a job.
 
Were we can have them as pets but not allowed to use them as food.

Don't think that'll ever happen. Have you ever been to a third world country? Where the soil is too poor to grow enough crops to feed everyone, or the soil is too rocky to cultivate?

So solution, they gather all the plant matter they can and raise animals that can create food for them out of poor land. Those people eat meat.

I studied abroad in South Africa. I've seen it there.

Plus: Humans are natural omnivores, it is possible to survive on a vegan or vegetarian diet if it is done correctly, but this doesn't work for everyone. You need critical vitamins that you can only get from animal sources like B12. And people in other countries don't always have access to those supplements, so they MUST eat meat if they can afford it.

Second. Sure it's good to be nice to animals, but just because I'm nice to an animal does not mean that they will always be nice to me. There's nothing stopping that lion from wanting to kill me or any other human because he's hungry (there are cases of lions eating humans in South Africa, a vet there showed me pictures of human body parts he pulled out of a wild lion's stomach for a legal case). There's nothing stopping a mother cow from trying to kill me if I get too close to her newborn calf. It's the circle of life, animals kill each other to survive and that's the way its is. It's nature.

I think it's okay for people to have their own opinions, but OP I feel like you are condemning some of us for eating meat. And some of your comments are slightly misinformed.
 
Harvesting of fruits and vegetables don't require the plant to be killed, meat does.

Are you kidding me? Do you not garden or work on a farm either? Of course the some plants are killed when they are harvested. Or damaged at least.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You may have whatever discussion you wish. If it were otherwise, the thread would be closed

Oh ok. Sorry then. It just sounded like it when you said it's taken care off. I did like the discussion though between the people who actually thought about stuff before they wrote it down.
 
I wish local food was cheaper. Then it'd be easier to eat meat that's raised right (and I'd know where to make sure). But I just can't pay for it. But I do eat a lot less than I used to because I just thought it wasn't necessary to eat as much of it as I did.
 
I wish local food was cheaper. Then it'd be easier to eat meat that's raised right (and I'd know where to make sure). But I just can't pay for it. But I do eat a lot less than I used to because I just thought it wasn't necessary to eat as much of it as I did.

I'm just sucking it up. I like meat, I just don't eat it all the time because I don't want it all the time and because of $$$. I've found that organic produce isn't generally that much more expensive than conventional produce. It also generally lasts longer in the fridge (at least for me). I try to get it as often as I can. I'm even able to get organic Oxbow products for my guinea pigs!

Oh and the funniest thing I've ever heard about being an omnivore was said by my artist sister. If God didn't mean for us to eat meat, He wouldn't have given us these. She pointed to her canine teeth. :laugh: Even my vegetarian/PETA friend laughed.
 
I found a new farmers market close to my house and I'm gonna see what they have there and how much it costs. 🙂
 
I adore my fish. Still don't like any others, but how could you not like a fish that so obviously loves people attention and begs for food! :laugh:
 
Man. I really want a burger right now. Maybe some pâté. Ooh and some chicken fried venison.

I can't remember if it was SDN or real life where the discussion of selling yourself to a cannibal came up. Like just taking little filets from your arm or leg. Letting it heal, then doing it again.

Speaking of- anyone watch the IT Crowd? The cannibal episode is great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't care about the terms or useless definitions, if animal welfare or whatever you want to call it doesn't promote animals not being slaughtered for food then its a useless welfare. Just a excuse to eat animals for pleasure.

Why are you here? It's not going to change anything. Check this website out:

http://www.ncraoa.com/AR_AW_WhatYouShouldKnow.html

If you are vegetarian or vegan congrats!

Don't be a jerk.
 
Person who eats fish, but no other meat is pescetarian, not vegetarian.
Anyone who eats fish and calls them self a vegetarian obviously craves some sort of attention and/or does not know how to use google to figure out what the diet is called.

Technically, people who eat anything with rennet, lard, gelatin, etc. is not vegetarian either. Makes me chuckle to see "hard-core" vegetarians roasting marshmallows or eating Jello.
 
I adore my fish. Still don't like any others, but how could you not like a fish that so obviously loves people attention and begs for food! :laugh:

My fish does this too! he will swim back and forth at the front of his tank when I pick up his food. we call it dancing 🙂 lol
 
My fish does this too! he will swim back and forth at the front of his tank when I pick up his food. we call it dancing 🙂 lol

Mine doesn't just do it when we pick up the food. He does it whenever someone gets within a few feet of the tank in hopes we feed him constantly. :laugh:
 
I'm a little late to the ballgame, but I want to say that it warms the cockles of my cold, cold heart to see that the rational, positive veg*ns posting in this thread vastly outnumber the nutty, negative ones.

I've been both; it's easy to get angry and frustrated when you realize your system of ethics is so different from most of the people you meet. It is not, however, a fulfilling or sustainable way to live, and is futile, regardless. There have been very few people who have stopped eating animals/animal products by being argued or berated into it. Being friendly and polite when someone wants to have a discussion? Much more effective. I've found learning how to bake badass vegan cupcakes helps too. 😉

I don't agree with everything they do, but Mercy For Animals is spot on with the advice in Step 6 on this page: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/effective-leafleting.aspx
I particularly like this part: "You're an ambassador for a vegetarian diet and are a face of animal activism. Always be positive, polite and encouraging. You might be the first vegetarian this passerby has ever met – leave them with a good impression."
 
I agree with that. I think a lot of people don't want to try it because they only ever see those grumpy vegans/vegetarians. I am much more likely to try something if they are friendly.
 
I don't agree with everything they do, but Mercy For Animals is spot on with the advice in Step 6 on this page: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/effective-leafleting.aspx
I particularly like this part: "You're an ambassador for a vegetarian diet and are a face of animal activism. Always be positive, polite and encouraging. You might be the first vegetarian this passerby has ever met – leave them with a good impression."

👍

Except when a bunch of goof balls tease you with "For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat THREE."
 
I am also one of those people who eats meat but makes every effort to buy the meat from local farmers who raise their livestock in a manner I agree with. I also firmly believe in hunting, especially where I live the deer population is out of control. But I am also a weirdo who won't turn food down if it's made with meat from animals raised in a way that I don't agree with as throwing the animal's life away by refusing food (that will then be likely thrown away) is more degrading to the animal, in my opinion, than at least using the nutrients that have already been harvested to nourish my body.

To each their own. Hakuna matata or something 😀

Glad you guys shut the OP down!
 
I wish being a hunter here was more like being one in Germany. There, most hunters are assigned/buy a forest and are responsible for its care. You do things like wrap young trees in chicken wire so that the deer can't eat it to make sure there are always new trees growing in your forest. You feed the deer and other animal population if it's a rough winter. There are troughs throughout the woods for that. Not too much though because you don't want them to get used to the help. In the fall, you go hunting and primarily shoot those deer that look sick and weak because they most likely wouldn't make it through the winter (keep them from a slow death). And if there's too much deer, then you can hunt them more because you don't want them taking over the forest and not giving it a chance to always regrow etc.

Being a hunter in Germany means that you take care of a forest (both plants and animals) and that's what I love. 🙂
 
Hey, did anyone make the "People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA)" joke yet? I swear, it's really clever and I'm the first person to ever make that reference to a vegan!
 
Who says calf doesn't get enough milk to survive, it might not be as much as he/she wanted but enough to grow. Farmers want to keep the calf alive. But at the end of the day, your way of helping animals by eating them makes less sense than mine.

Not the bull calves on dairy farms. There are numerous types of cows on a farm: Heifer's, which are the young female calves, waiting to be milked; older female cows: which get milked after their first birth. Depending upon the decision of the farmer him/herself, when it's time (due to age/illness), that older female cow is sent to slaughterhouses for burgers. Finally, there are bull calves, which are the males the cows have. These bull calves are useless to most dairy farmers, as they cannot offer milk; so, they send the bull calves to slaughterhouses to veal.

Dairy goes hand-in-hand with meat-eating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Except when a bunch of goof balls tease you with "For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat THREE."

Hey, did anyone make the "People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA)" joke yet? I swear, it's really clever and I'm the first person to ever make that reference to a vegan!

Sometimes, when I'm in less of a *~*~Sunshine & Lollipops~*~* mood, I strongly relate to Steven the Vegan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpHF2a-IJY

If I had a dime for every time I've heard the desert island and sandwich monkey questions...
 
Sigh. Things always get so much more complicated when there's a name for it.

I don't really eat meat unless my body lets me know I need to. I stopped eating beef and pork when I was 12 and on some crusade, but it's been so long since then I'm afraid to start up again. And unless it's superbly cooked, I'm not a huge fan of poultry.

On the other hand I love sea food, and I'm perfectly happy using that as my source of protein. =)

Drives hubby up the wall, though... I'll probably never be able to make the perfect steak for him. :laugh:
 
My manager used to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, then gave it up because her husband eats meat.

Our boss wanted us to watch Food Inc. It didnt happen right away, so she watched it. She couldnt even bring herself to eat the local, grass-fed steak at our staff party. Watching the downed cow being poked with a forklift really got to her. She signed up for a farm that participates in Community Sustainable Agriculture (local farms will drop veggies and meat off at her door).

We are very lucky where I live. The number of small, family run farms and markets is large.

The boyfriend is interested in CSA when he moves next month.

A few months ago, a prevet on here got all up in my face because I don't like the industry and don't want to be a part of it. The person argued that every slaughterhouse they have been in is perfect with no flaws. After watching Food inc again, I find it hard to believe that the system is that perfect in every single place. Especially when they talk about the exploited immigrants working in slaughterhouses in the deep south. I find it hard to believe that try can make that stuff up!

Sort of went off on a tangent. Watching the movie and the reaction of my coworkers really got me thinking about it!
 
My manager used to be vegetarian for ethical reasons, then gave it up because her husband eats meat.

Our boss wanted us to watch Food Inc. It didnt happen right away, so she watched it. She couldnt even bring herself to eat the local, grass-fed steak at our staff party. Watching the downed cow being poked with a forklift really got to her. She signed up for a farm that participates in Community Sustainable Agriculture (local farms will drop veggies and meat off at her door).

We are very lucky where I live. The number of small, family run farms and markets is large.

The boyfriend is interested in CSA when he moves next month.

A few months ago, a prevet on here got all up in my face because I don't like the industry and don't want to be a part of it. The person argued that every slaughterhouse they have been in is perfect with no flaws. After watching Food inc again, I find it hard to believe that the system is that perfect in every single place. Especially when they talk about the exploited immigrants working in slaughterhouses in the deep south. I find it hard to believe that try can make that stuff up!

Sort of went off on a tangent. Watching the movie and the reaction of my coworkers really got me thinking about it!

You also have to realize that Food Inc is a very biased movie that will only show the views that the movie maker wants you to see. Not every slaughterhouse is good but there are those out there that strive to treat their animals with respect and with humane principles. That movie shows one extreme to try and influence people to their cause. I respect you for your views, though.