Are you a vegetarian?

Started by q1we3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You killed the apples?? You ripped the seed bearing uterus off the tree!! That poor apple tree put a lot of energy into that apple, to regenerate, to continue the generation of apple trees and then you come along and take away all its hard work... How dare you. And don't get me started on carrots... poor roots.


The tree is still alive, isn't it. I am the guy that drinks the milk from the cow. You on other hand would like that cow to be made into a burger. Big difference
 
The tree is still alive, isn't it. I am the guy that drinks the milk from the cow. You on other hand would like that cow to be made into a burger. Big difference

Oh yea. Big difference. Do you know that cows are treated badly on some farms, too? Yea, they don't get killed but that doesn't mean they're happy. So you're contributing to their unhappiness. Sometimes their calves are used for meat. So you're contributing to the meat market.

Wow, you must be such a good person.
 
I can't really contribute to this from the point of a vet or vet student. I am vegetarian myself, but strive to be a plastic surgeon. Strange combination, I know.

With me, I come to the belief that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. We have alternatives, there is no reason to contribute to the horrible conditions of factory farming because you crave a steak. I wouldn't be so harsh if animals were treated properly before being butchered. Sadly, they usually are not. So I practice the belief that I have alternatives that keep me alive and well, but also do not contribute to imprisonment and torture.

I see there is some recruiting going on...

anyhow... some veterinarians inspect slaughterhouses and ensure that animal welfare is up to standard....

there is a constant update to the regulation of slaughterhouses and conditions have gotten better over the years.... the USDA has inspectors to ensure this as well....

I do not really eat much meat, but I think it is pretty silly to condem people who do.... our bodies were meant to process protein and we need a fair bit of it. It is very hard to get that on vegetables alone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh yea. Big difference. Do you know that cows are treated badly on some farms, too? Yea, they don't get killed but that doesn't mean they're happy. So you're contributing to their unhappiness. Sometimes their calves are used for meat. So you're contributing to the meat market.

Wow, you must be such a good person.


I still rather not be the guy stuffing chicken, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, horses or whatever floats your boat, down my throat.
 
I still rather not be the guy stuffing chicken, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, horses or whatever floats your boat, down my throat.

Oh. So you're the guy that says "Let me look the other way. If I don't look at it, then it's not there. It's not my fault" as you drink your glass of milk that should have been for the calf that's on the plate of the guy sitting next to you.
 
So don't. Nobody's asking you to.

I am asking you to go back to your own forum.

👍 x 1,000,000

gtfo1.gif
 
Oh. So you're the guy that says "Let me look the other way. If I don't look at it, then it's not there. It's not my fault" as you drink your glass of milk that should have been for the calf that's on the plate of the guy sitting next to you.

Who says calf doesn't get enough milk to survive, it might not be as much as he/she wanted but enough to grow. Farmers want to keep the calf alive. But at the end of the day, your way of helping animals by eating them makes less sense than mine.
 
I'm thinking about being an inspector for slaughterhouses as part of my job. We'll see how that goes.

And why do some doctors smoke? It's unhealthy and yet they still do it.
 
Who says calf doesn't get enough milk to survive, it might not be as much as he/she wanted but enough to grow. Farmers want to keep the calf alive. But at the end of the day, your way of helping animals by eating them makes less sense than mine.

The point is that the calf doesn't stay alive often times.

And if they do use it for milk production, then it doesn't get milk from its mom because you get it.

But at the end of the day, you still cause harm but look the other way.
 
I'm thinking about being an inspector for slaughterhouses as part of my job. We'll see how that goes.

And why do some doctors smoke? It's unhealthy and yet they still do it.

That always baffles me.



Also, I don't think anyone was arguing the healthiness of being a vegetarian (when done properly) or anything like that. Although, to counter that, the paleo diet does the exact same thing for a lot of people and that is very meat/fish oriented.
 
The point is that the calf doesn't stay alive often times.

And if they do use it for milk production, then it doesn't get milk from its mom because you get it.

But at the end of the day, you still cause harm but look the other way.

And those cows are often milked for upwards of 300 days (unnatural) and when they stop being high producers they are not turned out to pasture.

Dairy cattle can also be treated poorly and it is surprising how many farmers don't understand that this actually decreases their milk production.

Dairy calves are usually ripped away from their mothers at an early age so we can have the milk and are turned into veal, hamburger, or bred for more milk at a later date.
 
I'm thinking about being an inspector for slaughterhouses as part of my job. We'll see how that goes.

And why do some doctors smoke? It's unhealthy and yet they still do it.

If they do doesn't mean its right or you should. And good for you for looking into being a slaughterhouse inspector. Shut them all down, there is no way animals are enjoying it there.
 
3. Legislation is constantly changing. Some better, some bad. Recently, a bill was passed that allowed horses to be bred here and shipped to Mexico for slaughter, when originally that was illegal. Now, Iowa is trying to pass legislation that bans undercover agents from Peta and other activist groups from getting videos of abuse in factory farms and using it against them in court. This is one of the only ways to actually catch people. Yet, Iowa government continues. Reason: Iowa makes most of their money off taxing these farms. They don't want them shut down. Government is corrupt. Some laws help, some don't. It doesn't really mean it is moving fast enough or even in the right direction.

I don't have time to look it all up right now - it is 3 AM where I am....

But on this point... you have your facts wrong.... in November the ban on horse slaughter was lifted in the US meaning slaughterhouses could be re-opened within the US borders. Prior to that any horses headed to slaughter had to be shipped to Canada or Mexico which meant very long travel in trucks and horrible conditions. The slaughterhouses in Canada & Mexico also had different regulations so the conditions were even less optimal then the ones that were originally in the US. Now slaughterhouses can be opened within the states and horses going to slaughter will not have to travel as far.


Yes vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters will continue to disagree on which is the most healthy option for living. I think the best goal is to work towards the most humane death possible for the animals going to be used for food.

This is not directed at you, but the OP - I think for a poster from another forum to come in here and go all self-righteous on us - that is where I draw the line..... at least come in here willing to have a well-informed discussion and do some research otherwise STFU
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is not directed at you, but the OP - I think for a poster from another forum to come in here and go all self-righteous on us - that is where I draw the line..... at least come in here willing to have a well-informed discussion and do some research otherwise STFU

Research on what? You can make all the excuses you want. Oh maybe if we slaughtered them at a certain angle or with a certain knife, they will enjoy it. No they won't, they will never enjoy being killed and put together with lettuce and tomato. So you can have a tasty meal.
 
1. I stand corrected. Well-researched.

2. I agree. I would rather see us agree to treat animals better before slaughter than to disagree and accomplish nothing. 👍

Which is why we want the OP to be well-informed. Animal rights would assert that having animals as pets infringe on their freedom. Animal welfare is trying to do the best for every animal, even if they have a purpose other than pleasure.
 
Research on what? You can make all the excuses you want. Oh maybe if we slaughtered them at a certain angle or with a certain knife, they will enjoy it. No they won't, they will never enjoy being killed and put together with lettuce and tomato. So you can have a tasty meal.

I think it's sad that you're so ignorant and yet wanna be a doctor. You should know better than that.

And that you just keep ignoring the pain that you inflict upon those poor dairy cows. They don't enjoy having their calves taken away either and being milked so much.
 
Which is why we want the OP to be well-informed. Animal rights would assert that having animals as pets infringe on their freedom. Animal welfare is trying to do the best for every animal, even if they have a purpose other than pleasure.

I agree with animal welfare in certain aspects and animal rights in others. Why can't there be a happy medium? Were we can have them as pets but not allowed to use them as food.
 
Research on what? You can make all the excuses you want. Oh maybe if we slaughtered them at a certain angle or with a certain knife, they will enjoy it. No they won't, they will never enjoy being killed and put together with lettuce and tomato. So you can have a tasty meal.

It is actually quite scary you are studying to be any type of doctor at all...... :scared:

But anyhow.... in order to have a proper debate about any subject it is best to do proper research on your topic so as not to look like a complete and utter asshat (which BTW you look like right now)......note that for future discussions, may come in handy.

Now, I understand you are a vegetarian and want no animals being used for food whatsoever - congratulations! give yourself a really big pat on the back! well done! No one here gives a flying feck..... we all have different views and the way you are trying to get yours across is not going to change anyone's mind here... so talk crazy someplace else, we are all stocked up here.

And if you are so worried about animals suffering - why not look a bit closer to home in the profession you will be entering - they are torturing animals for your benefit...to further optometry.... does that not bother you? do you not take issue with chimpanzees going blind from very painful procedures just to further your future career?
 
I think it's sad that you're so ignorant and yet wanna be a doctor. You should know better than that.

And that you just keep ignoring the pain that you inflict upon those poor dairy cows. They don't enjoy having their calves taken away either and being milked so much.

Do you eat animals? Yes or No?
 
I agree with animal welfare in certain aspects and animal rights in others. Why can't there be a happy medium? Were we can have them as pets but not allowed to use them as food.

Why can't you understand that eating meat is important for some people?

Your opinions don't equal what should happen worldwide. It's why it's an opinion.

I think we can have pets and eat them. I think breeding animals for meat can be humane and pain free. I'm sorry you seem to think I shouldn't eat meat, but vegetarianism is not right for everybody.
 
I agree with animal welfare in certain aspects and animal rights in others. Why can't there be a happy medium? Were we can have them as pets but not allowed to use them as food.

So, in other words, you are in support for puppy mills and breeders who create unhealthy mutations in order to satisfy the desire for humans to have furry companions, but not the humane slaughter of a protein source that sustains the vast majority of the world?
 
It is actually quite scary you are studying to be any type of doctor at all...... :scared:

But anyhow.... in order to have a proper debate about any subject it is best to do proper research on your topic so as not to look like a complete and utter asshat (which BTW you look like right now)......note that for future discussions, may come in handy.

Now, I understand you are a vegetarian and want no animals being used for food whatsoever - congratulations! give yourself a really big pat on the back! well done! No one here gives a flying feck..... we all have different views and the way you are trying to get yours across is not going to change anyone's mind here... so talk crazy someplace else, we are all stocked up here.

And if you are so worried about animals suffering - why not look a bit closer to home in the profession you will be entering - they are torturing animals for your benefit...to further optometry.... does that not bother you? do you not take issue with chimpanzees going blind from very painful procedures just to further your future career?

I'm getting you to respond, that's the whole point.
 
Do you eat animals? Yes or No?

Yes, I do.

But I want to work in a field that will ensure that these animals are treated correctly before and during slaughter. I don't pretend to be oh so holy while still supporting an industry that has many faults when it comes to how to treat their animals. I actually want to make a difference.
 
So, in other words, you are in support for puppy mills and breeders who create unhealthy mutations in order to satisfy the desire for humans to have furry companions, but not the humane slaughter of a protein source that sustains the vast majority of the world?

I never said that. Also, there are other protein sources out there besides animals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Humans are a type of high functiong animals we belong to the Kingdom Animalia, like many millions of other creatures. In that we are similar to chimpanzees, rhinos, lions, wildebeest, zebra, tigers, bears, etc. Granted we are high functioning creatures, but we still share things in common with these other creatures. We must eat to survive and we must reproduce to keep our species alive. Considering that quite a few of our human counterparts in third world countries are starving and that in many of these places it is difficult for them to grow the vast amounts of vegetation they would need to sustain a healthy lifestyle, they do eat meat, why shouldn't they? It is a way to keep themselves fed and alive. The lion does not think about if it "humanely killed the zebra." It simply knows that it needs to eat the zebra to survive and therefore the zebra must die. The zebra does not think about ripping the grasses out of the ground when it munches on it. The zebra then dies when the lion kills it and the plants that grow where that zebra died don't realize they are using dead zebra minerals/vitamins for a source of food for themselves either. Yes, I know we are not lions, hence my high functioning mentioning at the beginning. We try our best to make sure that the animals we do kill for food are treated as humanely as possible. We should have the right as animals to eat what we want, when we want with about being judged by others. You would not judge that lion for killing and eating the zebra so cruely so why judge another human for doing the same to a cow or chicken, at least our methods arent as cruel as the lion's. Humans will never completely stop eating meat.
 
Would you eat a dog or a cat if they tasted good?

In many countries, these animals are eaten because of the issue of starvation. I am not sure I understand what you are attempting to achieve with your presence here. Yes, there are sources of protein that can sustain a person that comes only from plant sources, but you are forgetting that the current population of the world is 7 billion. There has not been enough advancement in agriculture to be able to farm enough soybeans and other protein rich plant sources to ensure life. Attempting this would also have a huge disadvantage due to the depletion of soil nutrients even if good rotation management practices were in effect. I believe that your assertion that the choice of not eating animals would lead to a perfect world for animal kind is naive. I would also like to know what would happen to the population of food animals if we did not eat them. They do not make good pets, so I suppose that we would keep some in a zoo for novelties sake and let the rest move on into extinction. This is why those of us are attempting to get you to look into the heart of what it is that you are accusing meat-eaters of. It is fine that you would like to live in a world where there is no animal suffering, we are not arguing that fact. But to state that everyone should be a vegetarian has major consequences.
 
In many countries, these animals are eaten because of the issue of starvation. I am not sure I understand what you are attempting to achieve with your presence here. Yes, there are sources of protein that can sustain a person that comes only from plant sources, but you are forgetting that the current population of the world is 7 billion. There has not been enough advancement in agriculture to be able to farm enough soybeans and other protein rich plant sources to ensure life. Attempting this would also have a huge disadvantage due to the depletion of soil nutrients even if good rotation management practices were in effect. I believe that your assertion that the choice of not eating animals would lead to a perfect world for animal kind is naive. I would also like to know what would happen to the population of food animals if we did not eat them. They do not make good pets, so I suppose that we would keep some in a zoo for novelties sake and let the rest move on into extinction. This is why those of us are attempting to get you to look into the heart of what it is that you are accusing meat-eaters of. It is fine that you would like to live in a world where there is no animal suffering, we are not arguing that fact. But to state that everyone should be a vegetarian has major consequences.

According to an animal rights activist, zoos are not permitted as well... We should just let those cows run free... A whole lot of good that would do... 🙄
 
According to an animal rights activist, zoos are not permitted as well... We should just let those cows run free... A whole lot of good that would do... 🙄

HA HA!! Then they would be eating the crops and another ethical dilemma would crop up. Do we starve and refuse to interfere with the animals' right to live as it would naturally?
 
According to an animal rights activist, zoos are not permitted as well... We should just let those cows run free... A whole lot of good that would do... 🙄

I love when animal activists follow this train of thought and "free" animals from research labs and what not. And then they all end up dead from predation or they die of starvation later...
 
HA HA!! Then they would be eating the crops and another ethical dilemma would crop up. Do we starve and refuse to interfere with the animals' right to live as it would naturally?

Exactly... We can't just confine them to a certain area because that would be cruel too and we can't kill them and we can't scare them away because that would be evil too... we would just have to let them do as they please because they are cows and should not be harmed/hurt in any way but us humans can starve because those poor cows are eating all of our food.
 
In many countries, these animals are eaten because of the issue of starvation. I am not sure I understand what you are attempting to achieve with your presence here. Yes, there are sources of protein that can sustain a person that comes only from plant sources, but you are forgetting that the current population of the world is 7 billion. There has not been enough advancement in agriculture to be able to farm enough soybeans and other protein rich plant sources to ensure life. Attempting this would also have a huge disadvantage due to the depletion of soil nutrients even if good rotation management practices were in effect. I believe that your assertion that the choice of not eating animals would lead to a perfect world for animal kind is naive. I would also like to know what would happen to the population of food animals if we did not eat them. They do not make good pets, so I suppose that we would keep some in a zoo for novelties sake and let the rest move on into extinction. This is why those of us are attempting to get you to look into the heart of what it is that you are accusing meat-eaters of. It is fine that you would like to live in a world where there is no animal suffering, we are not arguing that fact. But to state that everyone should be a vegetarian has major consequences.

That's why asked if they tasted good, meaning would you eat them for pleasure. And the answer was yes. Eating due to starvation is a whole another issue. The fact that matters is we are not starving nor we are stuck with animals as the only protein source. Don't try to justify that we are eating them so they don't take over the world.
 
All right! The more I sit here thinking about all the animals taking back over the planet while we try to live off plants is bringing me joy!! I convert! I'm ready to give up my hamburger just to see the utopia that could be if everyone follows the optometrist's deepest desire for the world to go veg!
 
That's why asked if they tasted good, meaning would you eat them for pleasure. And the answer was yes. Eating due to starvation is a whole another issue. The fact that matters is we are not starving nor we are stuck with animals as the only protein source. Don't try to justify that we are eating them so they don't take over the world.

What!!?? Cows are taking over the world... where did you get that from Lupin's post that you quoted.... I don't believe you are an optometry student I believe you are a bored 13 year old who is high on a "I have become a vegetarian and I am oh so much better than everyone else because I don't kill animals only plant oh look at me. I only use cows for milk and not meat because milking cows is so much less painful and evil than killing them with one straight shot."
 
All right! The more I sit here thinking about all the animals taking back over the planet while we try to live off plants is bringing me joy!! I convert! I'm ready to give up my hamburger just to see the utopia that could be if everyone follows the optometrist's deepest desire for the world to go veg!

What makes this troll even better than some of the previous ones is that she STILL USES ANIMALS FOR HER BENEFIT but fails to see it..

She wants the world to go vegetarian not vegan... big differences.
 
That's why asked if they tasted good, meaning would you eat them for pleasure. And the answer was yes. Eating due to starvation is a whole another issue. The fact that matters is we are not starving nor we are stuck with animals as the only protein source. Don't try to justify that we are eating them so they don't take over the world.

Ok. This is the last time that I will bother with you, and I plead with the rest of the vet forum to follow suit. This is incredibly arrogant of you to say that "we" are not starving. Neither you or I are, but a great number of the rest of the world is. You are also choosing the wrong portion of my reply to justify not using animals as a food source. I never said that we eat them because we don't want them to take over the world. I said major consequences would result if the world suddenly decided all at once that everyone should never eat a piece of animal flesh again. I also acknowledged that animals were not the only protein source. However, again, the problem lies in producing enough non-animal nutrition for the world, which the greatest minds in the world have not been able solve. So by all means, maybe you should change your major and go into biochemistry in order to find out how to create sustainable crops that would leave the rest of us with no other argument for eating meat other than "it tastes good." Then present a solid presentation and I will again give you the time of day.
 
What makes this troll even better than some of the previous ones is that she STILL USES ANIMALS FOR HER BENEFIT but fails to see it..

She wants the world to go vegetarian not vegan... big differences.


So you think I am female and a vegetarian?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Come on guys, be strong.... Resist the f**ktard....

:troll:
:troll:
:troll:

I know.... I posted that earlier but then I couldn't resist... We haven't had a good troll in a while...

I think my favorite troll was the podiatry student (Brodiatrist... that was some good entertainment).

Off Topic: My computer keeps getting mad at me because I am not putting a "u" in some words. Such as: color and favorite.
 
You have already made your claim quite clear as being a vegetarian.

About the female part, meh that is just standard around here for the vet forums. Very possible you could be male as well... Maybe you are a hermaphrodite for all I know.

oh no, here comes the sex jokes.