Are you females carrying bags/purses to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineForLife 777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm preparing for my first interview, and I was wondering if females should bring bags and/or purses to the interviews. I was thinking I could bring a nice professional bag since I'll have papers and such with me. Any suggestions one where I could find one?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a girl but at the the interviews I've been to the girls were using one or the other. In all honesty it doesn't matter as long as the bag is professional looking. It's not necessary though, alot of girls simply had leather portfolios and a small purse. THe large bag just lets you pack extra things in case something goes wrong

i'm taking my giant mom purse. it will make me feel safe. i'll probably take the diapers and nuks out of it first though. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm preparing for my first interview, and I was wondering if females should bring bags and/or purses to the interviews. I was thinking I could bring a nice professional bag since I'll have papers and such with me. Any suggestions one where I could find one?

i bring a portfolio for all the important papers and such and a small/medium sized purse for other essentials like cell phone, keys, altoids, tums, ect. good :luck: on your interviews!

I'm a girl and I didn't bring a bag. Many of the other women there did though so I don't think it would be a big deal to bring something, again, as long as it is somewhat professional looking.

They're kind of pricey, but I'd suggest coach. I bought a large leather tote there two years ago and it's amazing. Their bags look professional, polished, and have a lifetime warranty to fix absolutely anything wrong with the bag as long as you bring it back to the store. Their bags are the sort that you'll have for a long time and feel comfortable bringing as a bookbag or to an important conference.

Something like:
http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=8704&category_id=546

or:
http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=8034&category_id=546

I was wondering this in the beginning, but after going to 4 interviews (and 3 more to go), I have really observed a variety of options. In my opinion, it's best to have either one professional bag or portfolio. Coach (professional ONLY, not the ones with Cs all over them), Franklin-Covey (great choice, a little high though), or even Wilson all are great options. Trust me, you can squeeze all of your important items into a bag of this type. I also bought a cell phone holder that matches my portfolio. Maybe I'm being anal about this, but at my last interview there was a girl in a gray dress, black shoes, black portfolio, blue blouse, and a brown coach purse (with the Cs). There was just too much going on there. I say keep it simple and professional.

I always bring my small black purse and my leather portfolio to interviews. As long as the color or design of the bag is not too loud, it's ok to bring it to interview.

I always bring my small black purse and my leather portfolio to interviews. As long as the color or design of the bag is not too loud, it's ok to bring it to interview.

I agree, handbags are fine. Maybe a plain 1-color-only bag is the best kind, but it really doesn't matter. Just leave the shiny/flashy handbags at home.

After spending so much on my interview suit, I didn't want to plunk down another several hundred dollars on a purse, so I got a really nice looking Liz Claibourne purse at Marshall's for $30. I'd recommend checking out stores like Marshall's, Filene's Basement, an TJ Maxx because you can find some very nice purses for a lot less money. I got a large purse that fits papers/pamphlets/folders as well as snacks, pair of more comfy shoes, and other supplies. And unlike the suit, I can actually use this purse on a daily basis if I want!

I recommend the leather portfolio to carry your applications, secondary, directions, etc. I also had a black leather messenger bag (was tad smaller), but that allowed me to put my wallet, a hairbrush, mints, and other stuff...:)

glck :luck:

I've been switching between borrowing my sister's Coach tote bag and a black leather bag I picked up 2 years ago. My sister's bag is gorgeous, black leather with white stitching, and it doesn't have the C's on it. My other bag is just a plain leather structured bag. Since I have to fly or take a train to most of my interviews, I use it as my carry on and put a book, mp3 player, snacks, etc. in there as well.

Burlington coat factory has a huge assortment of cute purses. It took me forever to decide...and they're really affordable. But I agree. I spent so much on my suits that I really didn't want to spend anymore on accessories.