-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are you really non-traditional?
Started by mk04447
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm to be 22 . If everything goes according to plan I'll be 28 graduating from med school and around 35-37 done with specializing.
Usually med students in my european country start at ages 18-20 and also have a specific schooling which I did not have. Took the side-road.
They told me I was not smart enough for medical school. Now that I'm close to applying and all of that, all of them have suddenyl changed their minds.
Simple minded fools.
Usually med students in my european country start at ages 18-20 and also have a specific schooling which I did not have. Took the side-road.
They told me I was not smart enough for medical school. Now that I'm close to applying and all of that, all of them have suddenyl changed their minds.
Simple minded fools.
31 with a house and two mutts. Currently working full-time while getting a masters in public health in epidemiology. Will apply as soon as that's finished and I have my finances in order. Looking to be in academics.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How old are you?
Dog years or horny old bastard years?
26 and I have the MCAT, 1 more pre-req and 1 retake to go. I've also had a few crazy experiences that might tack on a few years to my perceived age. Although I'm a non-trad, I'm not at LEVEL: INSPIRATIONAL yet.
I agree with a previous poster that this isn't all about age. I've seen some 22 year olds who seem more non-trad than myself because they overcame teen pregnancy, drug abuse, STDs and prostitution before getting on the straight and narrow.
I agree with a previous poster that this isn't all about age. I've seen some 22 year olds who seem more non-trad than myself because they overcame teen pregnancy, drug abuse, STDs and prostitution before getting on the straight and narrow.
Last edited:
:O ...Uhh...people you've met IRL or on here? People in medical school?26 and I have the MCAT, 1 more pre-req and 1 retake to go. I've also had a few crazy experiences that might tack on a few years to my perceived age. Although I'm a non-trad, I'm not at LEVEL: INSPIRATIONAL yet.
I agree with a previous poster that this isn't all about age. I've seen some 22 year olds who seem more non-trad than myself because they overcame teen pregnancy, drug abuse, STDs and prostitution before getting on the straight and narrow.
I'm going to throw this out there...Having herpes doesn't make you a nontrad. [Cringing in anticipation of Google content-smart ads switching over to "Valtrex"]
How's medical school treating you?
Honestly, it's been really tough but I'm still glad I'm doing it. We moved in the middle of the school year and I probably took on too much with a full kitchen renovation and some other home improvement projects. Those are really fun things for me so helped me stay sane, but it's been quite the juggling act to get everything done. I've passed all my classes but am starting to get freaked out about Step 1. We are in the process of hiring an au pair and will hopefully have one in place before my study period, which should help ease the family responsibilities somewhat.
Ah - well that's pretty out there - even by non-trad standards. I agree that it sounds improbable. Kudos if he or she did it. Regardless, I don't think you should lump teen moms in with drug addicts, and sex workers. Pretty sure we have successful candidates and forum members who are from the former category but do not know of any (off the top of my head) from either of the latter two.It was actually a girl on the Canadian forum for premeds and student doctors called premed101.com
In 2007 or 2008 she posted a long biography that involved moving to a different province to become a high class escort. She had some 'out there' experiences and was wondering how to approach her application. It could be fake but her story isn't all that far-fetched. It is no revelation that drug abuse, STDs and prostitution go together.
Sweet! Well, one foot in front of the other - of course! If you can swing the au pair I'll be jealous! Sounds like a wise move!Honestly, it's been really tough but I'm still glad I'm doing it. We moved in the middle of the school year and I probably took on too much with a full kitchen renovation and some other home improvement projects. Those are really fun things for me so helped me stay sane, but it's been quite the juggling act to get everything done. I've passed all my classes but am starting to get freaked out about Step 1. We are in the process of hiring an au pair and will hopefully have one in place before my study period, which should help ease the family responsibilities somewhat.
Will turn 35 the week before matriculation. Got a degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and worked for 8 years. Didn't turn out to be what I wanted so I started working on pre-reqs 1 class at a time, took me 6 years. I'm ready to move on.
33 in 29 days. Half-way through Y2 of med school. Four years as a computer programmer followed by five years as a Navy Fire Controlman followed by 5 years as a research chemist while getting my degree. Started at 31, married with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. Dear God just get me through Step 1 unscathed!!!!!!
27 years old
Single father of 3 year old German shepherd
Single father of 3 year old German shepherd
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
26 y/o married no kids. Will be 27 when I start in the Fall. Theoretical physics degree and was getting my PhD in physics as well when I changed courses.
How old are you?
30 as an MS1. Graduated from UG in 2005, MSPH in 2007. Joined the Army as an officer specializing in environmental health. Deployed to Iraq in 2009-2010. Already had taken my pre-reqs as an UG, but didn't get in after an abbreviated application cycle post-UG. Took the MCAT again in 2011 and got in last year!
No kids yet, but I have a cat and a boyfriend. 😉
I am 44 - and considering pre dental - to start post bac sciences this fall. Hoped to connect with some who maybe had a similar timeline - there do not seem to be many : ) ... Obviously the $ is a concern. I am ONLY looking at public schools for classes and preferably for Dental school, though I want to stay close to NY area so I may think about PA.
23, fresh out of 5 years in the Army as a medic. Married, kid on the way, junior at UTSA.
I'm 36. My kids are 2, 8, and 10. If all goes well, I hope to start med school at age 39.
32 year old mother to one year old boy and married to full time engineering student. ESL, moved to US at 17, went to CC, graduated at 26, started postbacc thereafter. Been working as FT MA for private practice since age 27. Reapplicant and may have to apply again. Determined to become physician, healer and leader in my community. It is my calling and makes me whole for the benefit of all around me. Thanks for starting this thread. Glad to see so many others link minded and behaved. Cheers to all!!
32 year old mother to one year old boy and married to full time engineering student. ESL, moved to US at 17, went to CC, graduated at 26, started postbacc thereafter. Been working as FT MA for private practice since age 27. Reapplicant and may have to apply again. Determined to become physician, healer and leader in my community. It is my calling and makes me whole for the benefit of all around me. Thanks for starting this thread. Glad to see so many others link minded and behaved. Cheers to all!!
I meant *like-minded and behaved*!!
27 years old. BS from an Asian country. MS in math from a large state university in U.S. Live in a Midwest city under a working visa. Struggling to get a green card in next 6 years while doing my second bachelor's degree in biology. I think I'm qualified for being nontrad...
I'm 29 and an MS-3. I'll be 30 when I graduate. I'm also married and have two kids (5 and 2). I have always felt like part of both worlds because I'm still pretty young but my UG degree was completely unrelated to medicine, I spent 5 years in my early 20s getting ready for/applying to medical school, and I have a lot more adult responsibilities than most of my classmates (spouse, kids, house...).
Ok it helps that i saw this post...Im 26 and I thought my dream in pursuing medicine was coming to an end, 19 is first year of college, being that my mom held me back a year in HS when we came to this country, graduated college at 24, got my licensing in Allied health and started working...now applying to med school. I tell you learning English was/still is a challenging task.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will matriculate to med school this year at 34 y.o. I've been married for almost 13 years, and we have 4 living children. We have 3 biological children (1 deceased from HLHS), and 2 children adopted from foster care. I was an LPN for 1 year, and I've been an RN for 8 years. My first bachelor degree is in history (I briefly wanted to be a HS teacher), and my second is in nursing.
no way that is too cool! congrats! what is your secret? 🙂<---- 30ish, married, mother, non-science background (BFA), starting med school fall of 2014!!!
we gotta start somewhere right? that is really cool how they were able to relax and talk to you, have a normal conversation rather than all serious and freak out hahaha30ish. I know age doesn't matter, I just wish I was a bit younger is all 😉
hey i am applying too!! It helps so much to come here and see these posts when I feel like Im ready to throw in the towel. Keep going guys! somewhere and someone will accept us.27 yo, born and raised in England, prior US air force medic, mother of 3yo twins, graduating this semester. It's been hard, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Applying this next upcoming cycle. 🙂
That is why I have waited 2 years after my BS to apply. I had enough of school and If i went to med school right after bac, i would had dropped out...Yep, truth is, I couldn't have done this process when I was younger. I don't think I was strong enough then.
You and I are very similar!<---- 30ish, married, mother, non-science background (BFA), starting med school fall of 2014!!!
My BFA is in theatre.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
,
Last edited:
I'm 28. Finished undergrad in 2008. I was pre-med in undergrad (Economics major) and always wanted to be a doctor (and had always been interested in law & medicine), but health and personal problems created financial burdens so I ended up working for 4 years after a disastrous MCAT (due to many distractions, poor studying, and being naive and not voiding the exam). Then I went to law school (where I am focused on healthcare law & policy/public health). I have dreamed of being a doctor my whole life, and I've decided to give it another shot after I graduate from law school. Would hopefully matriculate into medical school when I'm 30 if I get accepted (since I need a year off to work after taking the bar exam, which is taken about a week before medical schools begin).
Nope, I don't really qualify as 'nontraditional'. I'm 23, graduated almost 2yrs ago...but I had absolutely zero intention of being a doctor until after graduation. I was just kind of wandering the country, living out of my car, kicking around job prospects when I stayed with a friend who was gearing up for med school. I realized how interested I was, and eventually got up the courage to ask my parents if they would mind me staying with them while I sorted out this whole new 'med school' idea. Still in the process...
So, yeah...I'm hardly a nontrad, but I'm not really a trad either. Quasi-trad? It'll probably be ~3yrs between uG and med school (if I get in...which I likely won't on the first try due to my low uGPA and noted crazy-as-in-call-a-shrink status during undergrad)
So, yeah...I'm hardly a nontrad, but I'm not really a trad either. Quasi-trad? It'll probably be ~3yrs between uG and med school (if I get in...which I likely won't on the first try due to my low uGPA and noted crazy-as-in-call-a-shrink status during undergrad)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 12K