Argh! Sick during finals week, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I came down with the Flu (or cold) around the end of last week. I've spent the entire weekend in bed deperately trying to get well for finals week. Guess what? I'm still sick!

So... I have undoubtely have quite a bit of studying to do. We all know it's hard as ______ to study when you're sick, SO does anyone have any advice for me? :(

Members don't see this ad.

SUCK IT UP....that's gonna be my advice as a future physician to all my patients who come in with a cold.

get more rest. I got sick through last exams and finals plus an interview in between and it wasn't pretty. "STRESS"

Members don't see this ad :)
MrDreamWeaver said:
I think I came down with the Flu (or cold) around the end of last week. I've spent the entire weekend in bed deperately trying to get well for finals week. Guess what? I'm still sick!

So... I have undoubtely have quite a bit of studying to do. We all know it's hard as ______ to study when you're sick, SO does anyone have any advice for me? :(

One time I had really bad food poisoning for around 2 or 3 days in college, and I had two major tests in the same week. I couldn't keep anything down. I just kept throwing up! Just study as much as you can and do your best. It's all you can do. Good luck.

have u tried nyquil? that stuff works for me. Sudafed also works for me! along with sleep........ I tend to get hellla hungry when i get the flu or cold and so i eat a lot. Try gargaling (sp?) with warm salt water in the morning and evenings...
some poeple say getting excersise helps.... i tried running around one time and it didnt make me better or worse...so use that one at your own risk.....

get better!! :)

jon stewart said:
have u tried nyquil? that stuff works for me. Sudafed also works for me! along with sleep........ I tend to get hellla hungry when i get the flu or cold and so i eat a lot. Try gargaling (sp?) with warm salt water in the morning and evenings...
some poeple say getting excersise helps.... i tried running around one time and it didnt make me better or worse...so use that one at your own risk.....

get better!! :)

or maybe dayquil if you're gonna be studying instead of sleeping :)

Reactions: 1 user
chamomile tea with honey has been making huge difference for my sore throat. that and lots of over the counter drugs, because the prescriptions I got aren't helping.

best wishes for finals!

I think that Airborne stuff does actually help with colds.

If you're really sick, maybe your professor will let you delay it. One time I was sick with food poisoning, and my professor let me delay my final a day.

fluids and rest are about all you can do.

Do what I did, defer all of your exams. Ok maybe not all of them, I deferred one.

Down some IL-2 to activate your T-cell army.

Definitely take nyquil at night so that you get sleep, and you're not waking up from coughing and pain. During the day have water, but also soup that will help with your throat (something about the salt does the trick). And watch Full House re-runs all day long.

Whenever I'm starting to get sick, I run to the store and pick up a carton of Orange Juice with Vitamin D and Calcium added into it (since you don't want to hae dairy products). Drink a good majority of that in one day and soon the vitamins and fluids will kick in and you'll get better much quicker.

shantster said:
Whenever I'm starting to get sick, I run to the store and pick up a carton of Orange Juice with Vitamin D and Calcium added into it (since you don't want to hae dairy products). Drink a good majority of that in one day and soon the vitamins and fluids will kick in and you'll get better much quicker.

i like how they made reduced acid OJ finally, OJ is back in my life!

you can def. get 1 or 2 exams postponed,
dont ever take sleep time medicine ie tylenol pm or nyquil. if you dont get the full 8 hr. recommended of sleep i gaurentee you, you will be drousy and angry when you wake up.
Also spend some money, buy alota soup, lemons and honey, make tea,
money should not be so much of an issue as long as the stuff you buy is rich in vit. C and etc.
constantly eat vit C halls candy, overload daily recommended value of vit. C
becarefull not to take more than recomended tylenol cuz the acetomporphin? wutever is shown to cause liver cancer in several studies.
By tylenol day time FlU, helps with the common cold symptons as well, more conc. then cold medicine as well.
Look for non-drousy medication. Carry alota tissue
elevate ur head if you have a sore throat while u sleep.
gargle with salt water two-three times a day.
try not to get close friends sick (unless you wanna mess up the curve hahah)
carry tissue handy in ur back pack,
bring alot of water with you, and keep drinking away, itll help with ur headaches and itll help your throat wash out bad stuff in there.
be warm at all times, sleep early! wake up early! most important
sleep at 12 wake up at 4 or 5 instead of sleeping late and waking up late to study.
study ahead of time, and take a thirty minute break before each exam so you dont get a headahce right before or during the test. Save up your recomended tylenol dosage and take em an hour before the test. Take the max capacity right before the test.

I love tylenol..more than advil er anything else dunno why.
Psychological.

NO i am not a doctor at all...
but i get sick before EVERY FINAL and Midterm season
why because my immune sys. is weak and breaks down right infront of stress.
born that way, i have a weak one, been working on it.

TIPS to help you stay awake from sickness for next quarter

work out, eat healthy sleep right

THOSE three are super essential. or they make the world of diff. to me
and if you really have a weak immune sys or stress severly effects you, you can buy vit.-C tablets that are super conc. like 3Xdaily rec. dose.
i take em a lil before finals.
!!!!but becareful, taht there isnt too much Vit-A in there which can get dangerous, forgot why but i remember hearing that from my intro bio class.

AND GET OFF THE COMPUTER. for some reason i found staying ont he computer weakens ur immune sys. Maybe b/c the dust from typing fast helps increase your symptoms, or u loose sleep time. your not active. dunno why
but i found from personal reflection staying on the comp. whilee your sick makes things worse. AND when your resting to get better. Do not watch TV.
just fall asleep
let your brain turn off and your immune sys. start to kick in.
Take adv. of all free ttime to get rest. rather than relaxation (internet, tv, friends, Etc,)

why am i mentioning such a long reply
1) i get sick ALL THE time i dunno why, right before exams esp. i think i dont follow most my rules i listed.
2) you cant tell med school, oh yeah that quarter i was sick so i didnt do as good blahblahbalh.

Get better, look foward to christmas, stay focused on finals, be a soldier
and do what yah gotta do for one more weak then CHRISTMAS!!!
:D

Hi, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Just try to get as much rest as you can and take breaks in between studying, drink fluids, take some OTC flu medications, and try not to stress out your already stressed out body. I think if you feel totally overwhelmed you might want to try contacting your professor to see if you can possibly delay some of your finals and give you some time to recover.
Feel better soon. Good luck :)

push fluids and 10 ccs of ativan. STAT!

-mota

sorry i got carried away there

Reactions: 1 user
MrDreamWeaver said:

ZICAM for colds will do it. I was really, really sick with body ache, congestion, etc and this worked like majic. Try it. It is a homeopathic remedy that can be found at your nearest drugstore.

god yeah a flu one quarter "ruined" my gpa :(