Armed Forces Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JANPLME

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a college senior entering med school in the fall and I'm thinking about doing an army medical scholarship. Does anyone know anything about them? Have any horror stories or positive stories? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was considering the same thing until I really pressed my recruiter for answers on tough hypothetical questions. On my interviews I also sought out students on the HPSP and solicited their opinions. DON'T DO IT, is the best advice I can offer you. That is, unless you are considering aerospace medicine (which I was), or pathology, both of which they kick ass at. Truth about HPSP:
1. They can match you to any specialty they desire, according to the Army's needs.
2. The pay is not really as great as they say it is.
3. You could be stuck in a residency commitment to a program you are not interested in, for 4 years.
4. You could be sent overseas for 18 months as a GMO (general medical officer) after medical school, AND BEFORE you get a chance to do a residency. (go ahead, ask your recruiter, I'm sure s/he will downplay this, but when pressed, they'll admit it.)
5. If you are really serious about serving your country, then take out the loans on your own, go to med school, do the residency of your choice, and THEN sign on and they will pay back most of your loans, plus you will be working in the area of your choice.
6. Do you really want to spend your last summer before med school in officer's basic training?

If you want more info email me and we'll chat.

7 of 12 3rd and 4th year med students I spoke with admitted that they would NOT have accepted the HPSP scholarship if they had to do it all over again.

[This message has been edited by jpc (edited 05-06-2000).]