Army-Baylor DPT applicant (applying 2020 - 2021 cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bretwalker1

Reaction score
Creating this thread for anyone that is pre-PT looking to collaborate together about the next Army-Baylor DPT application cycle.

Please post here!

Members don't see this ad.

Creating this thread for anyone that is pre-PT looking to collaborate together about the next Army-Baylor DPT application cycle.

Please post here!

Hey thanks for making this thread! I am not applying for this cycle, as I begin my application process next year summer. I am here just to get an insight as to what to expect. However, good luck to you!

I'm applying this cycle! Currently an active duty MI officer hoping for a career change. Been taking several online classes to try to boost my pre-req and cumulative GPA (my undergrad GPA was...not great). Also taking my first attempt at the GRE from home in a few weeks.

If anyone is on here who has applied before and has any advice please share! Thanks! Good luck to you all. -Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this cycle! Currently an active duty MI officer hoping for a career change. Been taking several online classes to try to boost my pre-req and cumulative GPA (my undergrad GPA was...not great). Also taking my first attempt at the GRE from home in a few weeks.

If anyone is on here who has applied before and has any advice please share! Thanks! Good luck to you all. -Dave
Dave

Same here actually. 1st time applying this cycle, Active Duty MI officer, night classes/online classes, GRE at home in a few weeks. I may ping you here and there over the next couple months, just curious how you're navigating through all of it-feel free to do the same.

Good luck everyone, and while I obviously don't have much experience in this process, I'm more than happy to answer any military questions if you got em. Good guy to ask the dumb ones lol. I've kept people on the phone for hours asking my own so I'm happy to return the favor.

Thank you for making this chat @bretwalker1

I’m applying this cycle as well! I’m a second time applicant. I’m currently an active duty LG officer. I’ve been working on improving my GRE score and pre-req gpa this past year.

If anyone has any questions I will try to provide answers the best I can. I look forward to going through journey with you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for making this chat @bretwalker1

I’m applying this cycle as well! I’m a second time applicant. I’m currently an active duty LG officer. I’ve been working on improving my GRE score and pre-req gpa this past year.

If anyone has any questions I will try to provide answers the best I can. I look forward to going through journey with you all!
Absolutely. I want to get like minded people together in hopes that we can help make each other stronger.

Good luck on your GRE scores. I used Manhattan prep and highly recommend it. I scored a superscore of 313 and may work to enhance it if I have time between shadowing hours and finishing up 2 classes.

My biggest hurdle is finding a place to let me get inpatient volunteer shadowing hours at the moment. Covid is really making things difficult.

Brett

Hey thanks for making this thread! I am not applying for this cycle, as I begin my application process next year summer. I am here just to get an insight as to what to expect. However, good luck to you!
Thank you! Check out last year's forum too. There is a ton of good info.

Bret5

Dave

Same here actually. 1st time applying this cycle, Active Duty MI officer, night classes/online classes, GRE at home in a few weeks. I may ping you here and there over the next couple months, just curious how you're navigating through all of it-feel free to do the same.

Good luck everyone, and while I obviously don't have much experience in this process, I'm more than happy to answer any military questions if you got em. Good guy to ask the dumb ones lol. I've kept people on the phone for hours asking my own so I'm happy to return the favor.
Let us know how the GRE goes

Let us know how the GRE goes
Bret,
It went well. Super convenient being able to take it at home, but my brain was definitely fried. Ended up with a 323 combined and 4.0 writing. Probably won't retake it this year since I'm already taking an online prereq this summer and working. Hoping my score makes up a little for my lackluster GPA (3.1 cumulative, 3.5 prereq). Ultimately I know that my GPA is what's most detrimental to my application, but putting effort into other areas and hoping for the best.

I also saw on the Baylor website that they're doing an online tour via Zoom later this month. If anyone is interested it's posted on their admissions portal!

-Dave

Reactions: 1 users
Bret,
It went well. Super convenient being able to take it at home, but my brain was definitely fried. Ended up with a 323 combined and 4.0 writing. Probably won't retake it this year since I'm already taking an online prereq this summer and working. Hoping my score makes up a little for my lackluster GPA (3.1 cumulative, 3.5 prereq). Ultimately I know that my GPA is what's most detrimental to my application, but putting effort into other areas and hoping for the best.

I also saw on the Baylor website that they're doing an online tour via Zoom later this month. If anyone is interested it's posted on their admissions portal!

-Dave

Whoa! Congrats on that score! I take mine in a few weeks at home as well. Do you mind sharing the resources you used to study?

Whoa! Congrats on that score! I take mine in a few weeks at home as well. Do you mind sharing the resources you used to study?
Thanks. Honestly I just used a Kaplan study book. It was a few years old, but the test doesn't change much so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on the most up-to-date book. Main advice would be really learning about the test itself. There's a number of "test-isms" that will equate to easy points if you just learn about the test. As far as the writing, I have no clue lol that was my worst score. Good Luck!

Bret,

-Dave
Niiice. Include that and the Clean in your application and all set haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up guys second time applicant, has anyone been able to obtain observation hours? Whether its Military or civilian?

Hey everybody! I am a member of the upcoming class at Army-Baylor DPT. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the application cycle. I may or may not have an answer for you, but I'm happy to help. Good luck applying!

Reactions: 2 users
Good afternoon all!

I applied to the last cycle. I didn't get selected due to having too many outstanding pre-requisites. I am just waiting on some updated GRE scores before I submit my application for this cycle. I made as many improvements as I could over the last year, we will see if it helps! I look forward to seeing how everything goes for everyone. I am currently an Active Duty Physical Therapy Technician so if anyone wants to know a bit more about a day in the life of an Army PT, feel free to ask!

Congrats @TheDevLee! Hopefully I make the cut this year!

Greetings all!

Similar to @DPT_here_i_come, I won't be applying this cycle - aiming for the 2021-2022 cycle, but looking to be kept in the loop for those going through this current cycle! Still needing to take the GRE and re-up on some prerequisite courses before submitting my application next year.

A little bit of background of myself: Currently Active Duty in the Air Force looking to make a career change from flying into the world of PT! Similarly to the folks above, feel free to reach out to me if you have mil questions!

Cheers!
Marc

Whats up guys second time applicant, has anyone been able to obtain observation hours? Whether its Military or civilian?
It's been a mixed bag for me. I was fortunate to have our own Battalion Physical Therapist allow me to shadow although it halted during the most restrictive COVID periods. I also drove about an hour several times a week to Fort Stewart to observe there-I just went up to the front desk and asked for a point of contact to email. I also approached physical therapists for teleshadow hours in other states (one was a family friend, one is currently treating my sister, and none of the others ever responded). None of these are traditional..no one was willing to let me creep on FaceTime in the corner at appointments. It was usually a creative agreement of some sort that intended to provide a similar learning experience. I'm not sure if Army Baylor will accept it, but I've denoted it in the application and I think will at least show effort. If you DM me your email, I can send you the email blast I'd send for teleshadow hours. It has options/request of the DPT.

It's been a mixed bag for me. I was fortunate to have our own Battalion Physical Therapist allow me to shadow although it halted during the most restrictive COVID periods. I also drove about an hour several times a week to Fort Stewart to observe there-I just went up to the front desk and asked for a point of contact to email. I also approached physical therapists for teleshadow hours in other states (one was a family friend, one is currently treating my sister, and none of the others ever responded). None of these are traditional..no one was willing to let me creep on FaceTime in the corner at appointments. It was usually a creative agreement of some sort that intended to provide a similar learning experience. I'm not sure if Army Baylor will accept it, but I've denoted it in the application and I think will at least show effort. If you DM me your email, I can send you the email blast I'd send for teleshadow hours. It has options/request of the DPT.

I am currently on the wait list for shadow hours at Ft. Carson, they are currently only allowing active duty personnel to shadow due to COVID-19. I have a good amount of VA hours from last cycle.

Just submitted my application. The wait begins...

Submitted my application last night! Here is to a long two months of waiting

Last year, a few applicants were contacted for interviews around mid to late September. Maybe we will get lucky!!

I'm a little slow getting my application in and will submit it in a few days. What nuggets did you guys write about in the:

Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experience with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career.

I'm a little slow getting my application in and will submit it in a few days. What nuggets did you guys write about in the:

Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experience with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career.
Brett, for me it was a few things. 1) a buddy got blown up overseas and lost a few limbs...wanted to help people like him; this confirmed my decision. 2) then I talked about being impressed by the medical technology, human competence saving his life, his road to recovery, and wanting to contribute to it...the story encompassing those 2 was about half my essay...3) a couple cool rehab examples from within my own battalion, 4) my hobbies in various physiology stuff, and 5) some recent innovation/policy endeavors i want to explore.

From what you've mentioned before, I think you have strong application metrics and would benefit most from showing your passion for it. (happy to talk more if you want)

Anyone else been contacted for an interview?? I got the e-mail last night.

Hey guys I am a first time applicant and could not be more anxious to hear back. For those reapplying how would you say the application process is like after submitting? As well as are there areas you decided to improve in? I feel like everyone applying has like 1000 VA hours and a perfect score on the GRE. Is that truly the case for those who have been accepted to the program?

Scholastics are definitely important. They aren't everything though. The process is slow going and there is really know way of knowing whether you meet the requirements they are looking for. I squared away some prerequisites and took my GRE again. I don't know if that did the trick but it got me an interview this cycle. Just dedicate your application to explaining why you want to be a physical therapist in the Army. That is what they are looking for overall.

Nice! Me too!
Congratulations on the interview! Just curious when did you send in your application? I submitted min last night so I'm sure that it would be a while before I get a response if I were to get one. I also applied for Baylor's hybrid program and they sent an interview email almost the next day.

Congratulations on the interview! Just curious when did you send in your application? I submitted min last night so I'm sure that it would be a while before I get a response if I were to get one. I also applied for Baylor's hybrid program and they sent an interview email almost the next day.
Thanks! Mine was early August ish, so it might be awhile.

Scholastics are definitely important. They aren't everything though. The process is slow going and there is really know way of knowing whether you meet the requirements they are looking for. I squared away some prerequisites and took my GRE again. I don't know if that did the trick but it got me an interview this cycle. Just dedicate your application to explaining why you want to be a physical therapist in the Army. That is what they are looking for overall.
Thank you for the advice! I guess we will see then I submitted my complete application around the first week of September, so I am now just patiently waiting. I believe that my essays really capture my desire to be a military PT, so I guess I’ll continue to patiently wait haha.

I have my interview tomorrow! Best of luck to everyone to get an interview email and to do well on the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread! I had my interview last week! I hope everyone else does great on their interviews!

What was the timeline between hearing you received an interview and then your scheduled interview? Was it a couple days or weeks?

What was the timeline between hearing you received an interview and then your scheduled interview? Was it a couple days or weeks?
I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but it was less than a week.

What’s up guys. I’m new to the thread. I too am an applicant for the ‘20-‘21 cycle.

Any current ROTC peeps that applied to this cycle? Anyone know how much of a leg-up ROTC peeps may have?

Congrats! How’d your interview go?
It went pretty great I think! I was pretty nervous going into it, but it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be

It went pretty great I think! I was pretty nervous going into it, but it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be
That’s great! I assume they try to get to know us for the most part?

Also, how long after the interview invite did they contact you to actually schedule it?

Any current ROTC peeps that applied to this cycle? Anyone know how much of a leg-up ROTC peeps may have?
I commissioned through ROTC, currently in ARNG, my mentor is a professor there and prior service/ROTC is taken into consideration, along with good GPA, GRE, and LOR!

I heard back for an interview today and I submitted the day before the deadline!
Did that include your GRE scores? Mine were just received and I'm not sure if they were waiting for them or not!