Army-Baylor PT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mccoolsa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the application deadline being pushed up? I was on OML last year and the application is due this week according to my recruiter. Is this just for last year's OML's, or everyone? Pretty confused by this. My recruiter just now told me everything is due.

Members don't see this ad.

No that December 1st deadline is for everyone (though it wasn't widely broadcast). I won't go into too many specifics, but I've found this whole process to be less than clear. For example, I think the Army-Baylor program informed the recruiters last week that the previous application checklist would need to be modified - we are now required to submit five (5) letters of recommendation instead of three (3).

This has proven to be a very stressful process for me (and I'm suspecting a lot of the other applicants).

As far as I know, Dec. 1 has been the deadline all year, from the time we first started looking into it in July or so. I don't know anything about five letters of recommendation. My recruiter hasn't mentioned anything. From what I know it's still three.

We submitted the last few things we needed yesterday. The recruiter said she would submit it all and let me know if anything else needed to be done. The last thing we have to do is the interview. I think that's going to be what makes or breaks me. I have 3.88 GPA, 4.0 prereq GPA, and about 225 observation hours. I think my essays and LORs are pretty good, so I'm kind of sitting on the borderline when it comes to stats from past accepted applicants. I want to prepare as well as I can for the interview. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on what to expect? What types of questions and things like that? Any help would be much appreciated.

Update: My recruiter sent me an email today with the application checklist attached, asking us to go over it and report to her on what we're missing. I double checked, and it still says three LORs. Maybe they're changing it to 5 for next year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email today and it is in fact three letters of recommendation. I sent my recruiter five just in case, but she said it was unnecessary, so the best three are going to the board Luckily, my recruiter has been fantastic as far as getting my OML packet refreshed and ready to go. Just pending two more documents, which will be finalized tomorrow morning.

I have a 3.4 GPA and last year when I was OML'd, my recruiter told me the thing that held me back was my observation hours because they were all at one location and they were all civilian. My recruiter said the board didn't mind the lower GPA because of all of my activities, including tons of volunteer hours outside of just observing and the fact that I have balanced a demanding job and intercollegiate football. They want more than just numbers. He said they need people who can handle the demands that the program entails and my schedule and grades exemplify that.

This year, I went to the VA and observed with a former instructor there for the summer. Hopefully it's enough to go from OML to acceptance. One of last year's accepted applicants' parents worked at the same VA that I observed at and when I spoke to her, my stats were very similar to hers, but she had time at the VA for observation. It may have been the deciding factor, or at least I hope so this go around.

I cannot say much on the interview as mine was pretty much shot because my interviewer somehow did not have my packet...it's difficult for them to interview you when they don't have your information to ask questions about.

Good luck to you guys!

That checklist was sent to me as well back in August but according to my recruiter (Midwest region), the requirement has been changed to five letters of recommendation, even for this current cycle. Now there might be a mistake somewhere along the line, but as mccoolsa said, I have submitted five just to be safe.

And I really do think that getting accepted comes down to military-specific observation hours and maybe even a military letter of recommendation. Army-Baylor is fortunate to have among the top applicants with the highest of stats and the best extracurriculars. A knowledge of military physical therapy (and it's very different than typical civilian outpatient orthopedic), even if only gleaned through a few months of observing at a military site could make all the difference.

In reference to pegasuscvc's question about the the interview, based on my conversation with one former (just graduated) Army-Baylor student and one still in the program, the interview will focus on some of the same things emphasized in the letter of intentent (what will you bring and do for AMEDD?, why are you a good candidate for the Army specifically?) and will heavily stress that the applicant is aware that he/she will be a soldier and will most likely be deployed several times. The students noted that you'd be surprised how many applicants reach that point in the process (the phone interview) and are taken aback by the overseas active duty service component. The interviewers will be trying to get a sense of whether you're committed to serving your country or whether you're only in it for the free ride.

That's my two cents at least. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get military observation hours because of where I live: Pocatello, ID =(. There's not much of anything here when it comes to military besides an Armed Forces recruitment center, which is essentially a building with four offices in it, LOL. I had to go to Salt Lake City, about 2.5 hours south, to get my physical. I put in quite a few hours in the physical therapy wing of a hospital, but that's about as good as it gets. Either way, the deadline is tomorrow. There's nothing that can be done about it now, so no use stressing over it. Thanks for the tips on the interview. I already knew about the deployment stuff, but it does help to know that they use my packet and specific info. to ask questions. Thanks!

I just wish there had been more information going into this process. As I said, much of what I know is only what I've been able to get from current and former students and even then, there seems to be quite a bit of variability. Take for example the interview notification timeline and the interview length itself. Some have told me that you'll have up to a month's notification before your phone interview. Others have said that your recruiter may call you as little as a week before. And the interview length could range from as little as ten minutes (I kid you not) to 45 mins or even an hour.

So the best council I can provide (obviously not having gone through this process yet myself) is find your story - your selling point - and make sure it aligns well with the Army's values. Understand that what might have got you into a civi DPT program will probably not work in this case. While it has been said ad nauseum, you are being interviewed by a potential employer who is looking for a very particular skill set and already has a population it needs you to treat. You are not being trained to be a generalist; you are and will likely always be (as a result of your education) an orthopedic/sports-centered therapist.

The board convenes the first week in February. Decisions are usually made the first week in March. Interviews will probably then be scheduled through January (given that the recruiters' deadline to have all of our things in is January 1).

Just got an email from my recruiter saying that she needs best days,times,etc..for interviews by tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

I just got that email as well. Who's your recruiter? Good luck to you too!

CPT Cisco out of Las Vegas. Last year when I got OML I worked with Major Johnson out of Chicago. However, between him going back to being a PA with his unit and me relocating back to Arizona after graduation (next week!), the general consensus was that working with CPT Cisco this year would be the best option.

I received the e-mail on Tuesday as well and will be going in for my physical (MEPS) on Tuesday morning. It's definitely nice to have the process moving along.

Have fun! Being in Fort Wayne, I went to Indy MEPS and it was a long day! Luckily mine lasted from last year, so as far as things look, I won't have to do it again. Very thankful for that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me a bit of what to expect?

Edit: And we must be in the same region! I'm headed to Indy MEPS too!

Last edited:
Can you tell me a bit of what to expect?

Edit: And we must be in the same region! I'm headed to Indy MEPS too!

It's basically a bunch of hurry up and wait. Piss test, vision, hearing, blood...then 1 on 1 with 1 of the docs, flexibility/movement testing, then 1 on 1 with the main doctor. A lot of paperwork before and after as well.

Have fun!

We went through the physical back in October. We're also going through Cpt. Cisco, but we went to the Salt Lake City MEPS. Basically they test you for everything you can think of. We got there at about 6 am and left at about 2 or so. Was a long time, but our baby daughter was a hit in the waiting room! Have fun!

Exactly as you described, pegasuscvc and mccoolsa. I think the most daunting thing was getting myself to urinate while someone intently watched. :)

Glad you got through it ok. I know some took all day to get theirs done because they got so nervous. Personally, after being tested with college football the past 5 seasons, you kind of get used to it lol. You learn not to be shy anymore haha

Has anyone heard anything more about interviews? Last year I heard back almost immediately when my time was.

Nothing about interview dates yet (at least not for me). The deadline for the recruiters to have all the materials in is January 1st, I think. Would they need to have the materials submitted before interview decisions are made (or is everyone put forward to the Board interviewed)?

If I recall correctly, everyone or almost everyone who is qualified to this point gets an interview. I believe that some don't make it to the final board review though, but don't quote me on that. It's been a long year, so I don't quite remember it all step by step. Not to mention everything is being turned in earlier this year, so that's throwing me off a little too...

So ATwantingtobePT, were you OML'd last year? Is that why your interview date is scheduled so early?

Our recruiter told us that our interview probably wouldn't happen until after the holidays. She just wanted to get an idea of our schedule and what day of the week was best so she could schedule it.

Funny question for everyone. I have a prereq, Bio 101, that I took in 2003, so by the time the program would start, it will be "expired" because all prereqs have to be less than ten years old. I'm registered to take Bio 101 next semester to remedy that, but it's hilarious because I'm just finishing up Gen. Chem. 2 and A&P 2 right now. Will they really insist on me taking Bio 101 right after finishing the classes that usually come AFTER it and are more advanced? Has anyone here had a similar experience and know if Baylor has a waiver of some sort for this situation? I'll take the class if I need to. I could pull off an A in Bio 101 in my sleep, but it would save us some money if I didn't have to.

Now, I'm not sure about this, but it was my understanding that prereqs needed to be no more than 10 years old at the time of applying to the program. That said, it's a real possibility that any of us here could receive an OML this cycle; there are just so few spots and so many of us. If you do plan to apply to Army-Baylor (and other civilian schools) next year if you get OML'd this year, your BIO 101 prereq will be too old for all of them at that point. I know it sucks to consider the possibility of not getting in, and maybe you'd rather sign up for the pre-req only if you have to, but those are just my thoughts.

Obviously, your recruiter is the best person to talk to about this.

I have my interview scheduled for tomorrow. I've been told the same thing, that depending on who is on the panel and who conducts the interview, will determine what parts of your packet are emphasized. Good luck to everyone.

Does your handle mean that this is your third time applying to Army-Baylor's program? If so, I commend and respect your dedication. I plan to apply again myself next year if I'm not accepted, but I don't think I'd have it in me to try a third time.

Thanks for your reply. Baylor is actually the only school I'm applying to that has the 10 year stipulation. I'm retaking Bio solely for Baylor.

How did your interview go, ATwantingtobePT? Do you have any tips?

I think the interview went well, I was a little nervous, but I think that is to be expected. Be prepared to answer the standard questions why PT? specifically why military PT? strengths/weaknesses? and it always looks good to have a few questions for the interviewer, imo. You can PM me if you have any specific questions, but just try not to be to nervous and you will do great. Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Good luck guys and gals. I'm seriously considering applying next year. I'm currently on deployment #3 right now with the Army. I'm hoping that experience will be a plus. My problem is going to be observation hours. I've been either deployed or training for deployments since the beginning of 2009. I've been able to get some classes in but I haven't been in one place long enough to get any hours in. That will be my big push when I get home next month.

Any tips you can give me on the application process would be great. One question for you, who all did you have to get recs from?

Good luck!

Thank you for your committed service! As far as recs go, I'm pretty certain that this year's applicants (class of 2015 January) will need 5 letters of recommendation. One needs to be from an educator, (I think now) two from physical therapists, one from a supervisor and the final one is up to you. Best of luck to you and stay safe!

Don't mean to hijack your thread, just have a quick question. I emailed a recruiter but I'm sure they are slammed with this year's board. Does the packet use regular letters of recommendation or do they use a military form? I just finished a Kinesiology class that I did very well in and my professor has offered to write me a letter of recommendation. I want to get it done as soon as possible so that his memory of me is fresh.

For this applicant cycle there was no specific recommendation form per we; all that they asked was that the letter be written on official letterhead. That said, the letter needs to speak to a variety of Army-specific qualities. These qualities can be found on a supplemental form (I'll look up the exact number later) that can be included with the rec if it was written by someone in the military. But having your recommender look at that form can be very helpful. The other thing you might consider is giving your recommender a list of talking points. This can be risky and you have to know your recommender (and their opinion of you) well but most recommenders appreciate the help in my experience; you then have a rec that speaks to the qualities (w/ examples) that the military is looking for.

I know that for this year (the pool of applicants going to the board next month), we had to have three letters of rec: One from a PT, one from a college professor (or some type , and then one from whoever we wanted, but it was recommended either another PT or professor. There's a rumor that they're going to start requiring 5 letters soon. I don't know one way or the other on that, only that our recruiter hasn't given any indication that we need more. As for the form, there wasn't one that had to be included with the letter, BUT our recruiter sent us a form for the people writing our letters to reference. She said that it wasn't for them to fill out. It was there to give them guidelines of what they needed to address in their letter.

She sent me the initial packet over the weekend, but it didn't say much about references. I sent her the prescreen so hopefully I get more info in the near future. I know it's a long way to go but I want to knock everything out ASAP. My overall and prereq GPA are around 3.8, but I haven't taken the GRE yet. I'm also a little nervous about getting enough observation hours. I should be able to get 100 but I want to get at least double that. Anyhow, don't want to jack your thread. Good luck and let us know what you hear.

Sorry. Evidently my mind wasn't working quite right at all with my last post. I missed entire words! I meant to say "college professor (or some type of educator)" and that she sent us a form for letters of recommendation, not reference. Your references won't have to write letters, but you sure have to have a lot of them! By the way, my interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone else scheduled yet? Good luck on interviews everyone!

Sorry. Evidently my mind wasn't working quite right at all with my last post. I missed entire words! I meant to say "college professor (or some type of educator)" and that she sent us a form for letters of recommendation, not reference. Your references won't have to write letters, but you sure have to have a lot of them! By the way, my interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone else scheduled yet? Good luck on interviews everyone!

Is the form a DA or DD Form? If so I can look it up on the APD site.

Good luck with the interview. Did you have a chance to check out the school in person by any chance?

Best of luck today, pegasus! And to scrawny guy, there are two forms. Your recruiter should provide you with both USAREC Form 195 as well as a 1 page general instruction guide to completing that form (this latter one doesn't have a form number as far as I can tell). But again, this form is optional and as long as your recommender writes his/her letter on official letterhead, you're fine.

How did the interview go?

I feel it went fairly well. It lasted about twenty minutes. She didn't have my packet, so she didn't ask any questions that were specific to me. That wasn't such a bad thing though. There could have been some difficult questions if she'd had it. A lot of the questions were typical ones from any physical therapy school. Some were specific to the Army, like why army PT instead of civilian PT and why it was important to me. Things like that.

I just got an email today to schedule a meeting with a sergeant next week for me to sign the DA 61. I think that's the last thing.

I also talked to my recruiter, and there is a waver for that Bio 101 class. That means I get this semester OFF for school!! Yay for me! I think I'll just take it in the summer if I don't get accepted anywhere so I have it for next year.

Good luck with interviews everyone. Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you in person in August (fingers crossed).

I'm so glad to hear that your interview went well, pegasus! I'm really eager to get mine done in the next couple of weeks and to have my packet complete (so I can sit back and wait for the Board's decision). I'm hoping that we'll begin to hear word on February 21st - 1 week after the board finishes - but realistically that'll probably stretch into the first week of March. And I too hope that we get a chance to meet each other in the fall!

I signed the last form today, so nothing to do now but sit, wait, and pray. However, I wanted to share something important the recruiter told me today - not the one I've been working with all along but the one from this area that came to my house so I could sign the form. I asked him when the board meets, and he told me February 4th. He wasn't at all hesitant or guessing either. He told us we could expect to hear the results middle to late February.

PS: One more thing I forgot to mention. He also said that their deadline to have all our stuff in is the 28th.

That's really strange because my recruiter gave me the 4th as the date that all recruiting stations must have their documents submitted to Army-Baylor. She then said that the board will be meeting from the 12th through the 14th. (I'm secretly hoping you're right, though, pegasus.)

Is anyone still waiting for the phone interview? Starting to feel like I may have been skipped this year.