Army becomes even more like the Marines...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.army.mil/symbols/uniforms/

The Army has decided to ditch the greens and start using the blues as the standard service uniform.

What do you guys think? I think the blues look pretty sharp, but is the Army copying the Marine Corps? :D

Members don't see this ad.

HooahDOc said:

The Army has decided to ditch the greens and start using the blues as the standard service uniform.

What do you guys think? I think the blues look pretty sharp, but is the Army copying the Marine Corps? :D

Huh, last time I checked the USMC still issued green (designated originally as Forest Green, now Marine Corps green) service uniforms. Blue Army dress looks nothing like Marine dress blues and they have had versions of that since the Civil War. If anything, the penny pinching bastards are trying to save money by having to issue less gear.

I don't care if they issue me an Armani Tuxedo, that wouldn't get me back into uniform :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously.

who the **** cares.

SCS

HooahDOc said:

I think you are talking about the new digital cammies(or BDUs to the Army). Love the MC digies. They are like pajamas and you are not allowed to iron them.

NavyFP said:
I think you are talking about the new digital cammies(or BDUs to the Army). Love the MC digies. They are like pajamas and you are not allowed to iron them.

You supposedly not allowed to iron the old BDUs, the thermal dispersion system they claim to have placed in the fabric to avoid Soviet style nightvision was sensitive to extreme heat. I always thought that was total BS.

NavyFP said:

Apparently, the whole idea of pixelated camo was around with the Germans near the end of WWII and the Russians subsequently messed around with it as well. Of course they didn't use computers to make it. The Army played around with if for quite a while in the 70s, but it was first adopted by the Canadian forces in the mid-late 90s. Marines followed suit with Digicam, and now the Army has the ACU to replace both desert, woodland, and woodland cold weather. The marines still have separate desert and woodland uniforms.

NavyFP said:

This is different; you're talking about changing from BDUs to ACUs.

I'm wondering what the new class B uniform is going to be? Is it going to be something with the blue pants, or will we keep the greens around for just class B use?

colbgw02 said:
This is different; you're talking about changing from BDUs to ACUs.

I'm wondering what the new class B uniform is going to be? Is it going to be something with the blue pants, or will we keep the greens around for just class B use?

My impression was that there would be no more Class B uniform. In situations where you would normally wear class B, you would wear your ACU, like all the doctors in clinic. You would then wear your dress blue (or Army Service Uniform) whenever class A was previously required and for more formal events as before. Though I would love to wear those blue pants with the really tight butt and the waist up around my armpits with just a white dress shirt, no tie, open at the collar while rounding.

My question is whether we will wear the beret or the bus driver hat with the new blues.

HooahDOc said:
Hopefully the bus driver hat. I think the beret would look incredibly stupid with the blues.

Yeah, but we need the beret for our acu's, so we might as well use it for the blues too.

HooahDOc said:

My husband is pretty excited about it, he thinks the current Class A's are like wearing a ridiculous green suit and is excited about the new Blues. I personally am partial to green because it is my favorite color but I can understand that it could be considered out-dated. Especially when they are changing all the other uniforms out (BDUs for ACUs) etc. Since he has done several Soldier-Leader Boards in the past, his dress attire is very important to him. This link was the first time I actually saw what they have in mind for it.. I think they look pretty high-speed, personally. :D

I really wish they would let the officer finish OBC before they make them buy the blues. 1/4 of them are either going directly to Iraq or Korea anyway.

They'll either never wear them in Iraq or they can get them for cheap custom made in Korea.

Jeru said:
My husband is pretty excited about it, he thinks the current Class A's are like wearing a ridiculous green suit and is excited about the new Blues. I personally am partial to green because it is my favorite color but I can understand that it could be considered out-dated. Especially when they are changing all the other uniforms out (BDUs for ACUs) etc. Since he has done several Soldier-Leader Boards in the past, his dress attire is very important to him. This link was the first time I actually saw what they have in mind for it.. I think they look pretty high-speed, personally. :D