Army Dental Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRDDS2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im a 3rd year dental student starting to consider my options upon graduation. I am planning on working with my dad at his private practice, but his practice is fairly small and he pretty much works part time since he is close to retiring. He is planning on handing the practice over to me when I graduate and working with me for a year or 2 before retiring. However, the practice is not big enough at this point to be my only source of income (id have to find a 2nd job elsewhere as an associate as I build this one up a little). Because of my large debt load (dental school is crazy expensive), I am debating if joining the army reserves, along with working as a private practitioner, is a feasible option due to the following:

PROS:
40k loan forgiveness per year of army reserve duty up to 250k total
Still have the opportunity to own a private practice and build it up
relatively small time commitment of 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year for the army reserve (along with possibility of deployment)
low cost health insurance and other benefits
75k bonus (25k per year for 3 years)

CONS:
possibility of deployment for 3 months seems logistically difficult as a future practice owner (if not impossible)
6 year commitment
low base pay (but the other benefits and loan repayment are great)

The loan forgives aspect is the main reason I am considering joining, since 40k per year of debt repayment would be a huge burden lifted off my shoulders. But how do those who own private practices manage them while they are away on the 90 day deployment/the 2 week service period? For those with first hand experience, if you have any insight or feedback id love to hear it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a good idea if you're going to own and your dad is not willing to work full time in the event you're called upon.

Reserves are great from those I know who are committed but they are in public health where their employer is required to be understanding. PP owners are not going to be as accommodating (they can't afford to be). I would not join the reserves with COVID right now because the likelihood of being required to leave PP is high, but you do not get a hiatus from the bills associated with PP if you've bought into one. I have met 2 oral surgeons who were in the reserves and were pulled away from their practices during their careers and it ended up being a huge financial burden because they owned the offices. Both had deep regrets because their referral sources found other surgeons and did not return to their normal referral patterns once they made the switch (Southern CA though so there are a lot of surgeons to choose from). What do you do with your employees if you need to leave for 1-3 months? Fire them all? Then what do you do when you get back? Hope to rehire them?

Your best bet is to join your dad's practice and then acquire a nearby practice as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 users