Army Endo Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ_Doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!
I’m a current 3rd year student and I got really interested in Endo this past year being in clinic and starting to do a few root canals. I was never a great student and had a tough time with school, I’m sitting around bottom 30% of my class and was wondering options for either an army residency or civilian. would love some advice for either one. I’ve heard doing the army AEGD and networking into an endo slot is a typical feeder route. Do civilian residencies value military experience? I would prefer a civilian residency with the GI bill but don’t know how competitive getting in will be with my stats. Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Scroll down the page a bit. There are 3-4 threads asking about the same stuff. No, you aren’t competitive enough to get in service endo. Yes, programs like military experience. Bottom 30% is pretty low though. You’ll have to have some awesome recs and experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Scroll down the page a bit. There are 3-4 threads asking about the same stuff. No, you aren’t competitive enough to get in service endo. Yes, programs like military experience. Bottom 30% is pretty low though. You’ll have to have some awesome recs and experience.
I was under the impression that military would be easier than civilian based on previous threads? Also what would good experience be for civilian or military residency as an army dentist? Thanks!

I was under the impression that military would be easier than civilian based on previous threads? Also what would good experience be for civilian or military residency as an army dentist? Thanks!
In service residency is a reward for those who have done deployments and hardship tours and to incentivize people to stay in.

The army already owns you for the next 4 years, why give you a residency spot?

Some (lucky) exceptional applicants get in service residency. Endo is a pretty chill specialty and the only military dental specialty not prone to skill rot.

Reactions: 1 user