Army AEGD value for Civilian Endo Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohwhencherry

Reaction score
Army dental HPSP student c/o 2026 here, I've got a quick question for those who have experience in this area:
Do you think doing the 1 year AEGD is a major factor for getting accepted to a civilian residency right after doing my HPSP payback? I realize it's pretty key if I want a shot and in service endo residency, but how about civilian residencies? For context, I'm ranked 2/75 in my class, don't do a lot of extracurriculars, and am really enjoying spending time in the Grad endo clinic. Is the extra year in the army worth the benefit of the AEGD for my civilian endo application, or could I have a good chance of getting into endo right out of the service without doing the AEGD?

Thanks for the thoughts/opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Most endodontic residencies want applicants who completed an AEGD or GPR so I would highly recommend doing 1 year AEGD in the Army.

Most endodontic residencies want applicants who completed an AEGD or GPR so I would highly recommend doing 1 year AEGD in the Army.
4 years of practice, which the HPSP requires, will outweigh any GPR / AEGD. Applicants who are trying to get into Endo right out of school benefit from the AEGD/ GPR. Obviously an AEGD or GPR doesn’t hurt, but if OP is sure they want to get out after 4, then don’t do a PGY 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4 years of practice, which the HPSP requires, will outweigh any GPR / AEGD. Applicants who are trying to get into Endo right out of school benefit from the AEGD/ GPR. Obviously an AEGD or GPR doesn’t hurt, but if OP is sure they want to get out after 4, then don’t do a PGY 1.
Yup.

I’ve seen navy colleagues get into civ endo without it. At that point it doesn’t matter.

It’s a waste of time as in the fleet, you’ll do the same job regardless of pgy-1 or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m all about getting out ASAP but I think an AEGD may have value here. If you draw the short straw and get sent to a crappy Army location or training installation without an AEGD you’re likely to get stuck doing amalgams and exams all day every day. If you get assigned to an intake clinic you could be literally doing trainee exams only for a year plus. At least with an AEGD you’ll get to do endo. The Army’s AEGDs are legitimately good programs. We aren’t as lucky as the Navy folks who can get a credentialing tour that’s probably as good as a civilian AEGD/GPR