Army General Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

surgeryquest

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! As a med student approaching my residency decision point, I’d be grateful to hear anyone’s experience with Army GS residencies. How is the work compared to non-military residencies? Is it more laid back/fewer hours due to the lower volume seen at military hospitals? I know that many rotations get sent to non-military hospitals, but while at the military hospitals is it lighter work and then heavier work at non-military rotations since there is at least the perception of a healthier patient population? Surgery is tough in general, but I am wondering if military hospital rotations push up against the 80 hour maximum regularly. If it is lighter, are surgeons who graduate still adequately trained for the skills needed to be a good surgeon? I’m not looking to do a fellowship, just bread and butter GS.