All Branch Topic (ABT) Army HPSP Questions

Started by washhyyy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

washhyyy

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to medical school this cycle and have recently started the process of applying for the HPSP. I just have a few questions and would appreciate any help.

1. I was invited by a medical recruiter to interview next week. I am unsure if this is is a formal interview or more of an informational session. Also, he mentioned I would be getting a physical so I am unsure of what to wear. Any insights into the initial interview would be appreciated.

2. I may be getting ahead of myself as I currently have not been accepted to a medical school, but does the tuition of my medical school affect my chances of being awarded the scholarship? (i.e. is the government less likely to pay my tuition if it is very expensive?)

Thanks in advance! Any other info about HPSP or the application process would be greatly appreciated!
 
this all sounds fishy the way your describing it

Don’t sign anything. Just don’t, until you have a medical school acceptance which is needed to apply to hpsp. Always, always, read every word of every document the army military asks you to sign

make sure this is a medical recruiter for officers and not the rando recruiter down at the mall. They are different. Do not let anyone tell you to sign up now and just transfer into
 
this all sounds fishy the way your describing it

Don’t sign anything. Just don’t, until you have a medical school acceptance which is needed to apply to hpsp. Always, always, read every word of every document the army military asks you to sign

make sure this is a medical recruiter for officers and not the rando recruiter down at the mall. They are different. Do not let anyone tell you to sign up now and just transfer into

I’m sorry.. what about this sounds fishy?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to medical school this cycle and have recently started the process of applying for the HPSP. I just have a few questions and would appreciate any help.

1. I was invited by a medical recruiter to interview next week. I am unsure if this is is a formal interview or more of an informational session. Also, he mentioned I would be getting a physical so I am unsure of what to wear. Any insights into the initial interview would be appreciated.

2. I may be getting ahead of myself as I currently have not been accepted to a medical school, but does the tuition of my medical school affect my chances of being awarded the scholarship? (i.e. is the government less likely to pay my tuition if it is very expensive?)

Thanks in advance! Any other info about HPSP or the application process would be greatly appreciated!
What branch of service? Army, Navy, or AF? Some medical recruiting offices do allow the application to begin before the medical school acceptance - Army Medical recruiting in Los Angeles for example. A physical with MEPS without a partially complete application is unusual though. It's possible they want to go over the basic medical and other disqualifiers (asthma after 13, previous orthopedic surgery without full recovery, felony convictions,..) that require waivers. As sb247 says - be cautious - make sure this recruiter isn't actually trying to get you to enlist. It is likely an informational session but have a few questions ready - double check the answers provided by recruiters.

Tuition won't affect your chances.
 
I have reached out to a Navy medical officer recruiter, and the process can begin before you have a medical school acceptance; however, I believe your package won't be submitted to the boards until you have an acceptance.
 
I have reached out to a Navy medical officer recruiter, and the process can begin before you have a medical school acceptance; however, I believe your package won't be submitted to the boards until you have an acceptance.

This is what I am expecting. Just starting the process so everything is submitted and ready for review once I get an acceptance. Thanks!