This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firenation1254

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to first start off by saying that I've always wanted to serve, so no I would not be applying just to "pay for med school". Now that that's out of the way lol, I am considering applying for the HPSP scholarship with the Army, I've read about the problems with not getting the residency you want but I would ideally like to do family medicine, is that a hard residency to get into? I've read that if you don't match with your preferred residency you do GMO tours and I've heard the horror stories about the GMO stuff but is it really that bad, I say this because before I decided to pursue medicine, I wanted to do special operations. I guess you can say I still have that desire within me, I've read of soldiers being both tabbed Rangers (not just Ranger School but 75th Ranger Regiment) and doc's, I also saw a video of a doc who was also a Green Beret. What would be the path to becoming a special ops doc? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They almost 100% earned their tab as an enlisted soldier before going on to become doctors. The ONLY way to GUARANTEE that you ever get a shot at earning the tab is by enlisting for a shot. I believe it's called an Option 40 contract. You can't even get a guarantee as an officer.

I have known one tabbed (SF) doc. He enlisted out of HS, did the high speed stuff, ETS’ed, went to college/med school, and came back in as a doc in the reserves.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. 100% sure that's how it works. As a doctor there's no reason to ever send you to the Q course or Ranger school.
My first job out of residency, so it was 2007, I worked with a guy that had an army GMO tour with Special Forces. He told me about a class he took, where they shot a dog, and the person had to keep the dog alive for 5 day or a week. He told me that someone had gotten the CO's dog, and that one was one student's dog. If this rings a bell, that was it. He told me that, if the Army gave him a residency, he would have stayed. This was sometime in the 90s, or, maybe, the late 80s. So, he didn't do the Q course, I believe. But, as is clear, I don't know.

I knew 3 army docs with sf tabs, all got them prior to med school

I know a doc that earned an SF tab after residency. It was quite a while ago and I don't know the circumstances surrounding it, but he is the only one I have met.

I have a friend that was in Ranger Bat, he said whoever goes gets a tab or you're out.

I don't know where you are in the med shcool process, but there is a good chance you change your mind on what specialty interests you. If you want to be a battalion doc for one of those units sometimes you get lucky and you PCS there. If you want to increase your odds, let people know your aspirations and try to network with those that are over there and when a slot opens you might get lucky. If you get your shot, don't be a ****bag, prove yourself.

Thanks for all the responses! Seems like the only way to get in would be to have earned the tab before med school. Will do more research and ask around.