Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is section of 670-1 specific to medical personnel and hospital wear, if issues come up.

Does anyone know what TA-50 is issued at OBLC, or what we are authorized beyond what is on the packing list from the welcome letter. Says you can bring your own, but doesn't say what. I've seen pics, but I have no idea if these are RC folks or AD. Course length I'm sure changes what is necessary.

Are you scheduled for the June 30 - July 26 OBLC? If so where did you get a welcome letter and packing list? AKO?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you scheduled for the June 30 - July 26 OBLC? If so where did you get a welcome letter and packing list? AKO?

I am in an earlier one. It seems like I just googled "OBLC RC packing list" or "welcome letter". It is an older letter, but I bet the list is still current enough.

ohio23 said:
Does anyone have a realistic packing list for OBLC? For instance are 2 pairs of boots really necessary? Anything we should bring that isn't listed?

Any clue on the living arrangements and daily schedule?

See you all this summer!

"Realistic" means bring what they tell you to you to. Unless specifically mentioned as contraband, which I can't imagine AMEDD OBC having much on THAT list, you can add to, but take away from at your "peril". I am going to show up with what is on the list mentioned. I won't preach too much, but even officers don't get much leeway in choosing which instructions they get to follow.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a realistic packing list for OBLC? For instance are 2 pairs of boots really necessary? Anything we should bring that isn't listed?

Any clue on the living arrangements and daily schedule?

See you all this summer!

stick to the packing list. there's really nothing more irritating to training cadre than soldiers who cant follow simple directions. you will be issued stuff you need to play army and everything else you think you want, you can buy on post... its a big PX.

you might not need 2 pairs of boots...but you're gonna be super miserable if you only bring one pair and it rains. we will be playing outside, rain or shine.

first part of the cycle will be on post. PT in the morning followed by probably 9-5 in the classroom. toward the end of the cycle, we'll be going out to a training site out in the hills. we'll be sleeping in tents, eating MRE's... showers suck, no porcelain crappers... we'll probably be playing army from dark to dark so plan on not getting much beauty sleep. it gets cold at night so "snivel gear" is at your discretion...but i'm probably gonna bring mine. no cell phones, no computers, no alcohol while in the field...i think recently (last few yrs) they ok'd tobacco... i'm not positive but i think we'll be out in the field for 9 days. the link to the schedule is "under construction" so i'm not 100% on that but i'm pretty sure it's like 9 days.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/1RCOBLC.htm

also: be in somewhat good shape. at least be able to run a couple miles and do some pushups / situps. it'll make your life easier.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure where you got your info, iatros...but I received a schedule in my email for OBLC. According to this, we will be in the field for 3 periods of 5 days. 15 days total. Monday to Friday. Saturdays classroom all day. Sundays, half day off then classroom. Back to the field on Monday. PT is not required for those who pass the PT test when we arrive, it is optional. If you fail, you will be required to participate in remedial PT each morning. This is what I received from my CO. Hope it helps.

Not sure where you got your info, iatros...but I received a schedule in my email for OBLC. According to this, we will be in the field for 3 periods of 5 days. 15 days total. Monday to Friday. Saturdays classroom all day. Sundays, half day off then classroom. Back to the field on Monday.
This is correct. I'm not sure where iatros's info is coming from, but tylerh87's information is accurate as per the latest training schedules...

I think iatros was talking about the 9 week course, not the 3.5 week course ASRs attend.

ok i guess i should have prefaced my earlier comment

my assumptions are based on previous military experience. i went to AIT at ft sam a few years ago... so i'm not entirely sure what training looks like for officers but i was loosely basing my expectations on others' obc experiences.

i guess it woulda been more appropriate to say something along the lines of: here's my personal expectations of what we will be up to...

from the sound of things, i might be pleasantly surprised how this army school turns out.

edit: dont be surprised about the rain, tents, mre's, and outhouses. i dont think camp bullis has gotten any nicer in the past few years.

Last edited:
A woman in my program went to OBLC last summer. I sent her the doc from page 47, and she said that sounded about the same as her schedule. She said a surprising number of people failed the PT test (I can see that -- it's one thing to pass it up north, quite another to pass it in San Antonio), so when the people who failed it are doing PT, the people that passed it are doing self-defense stuff. ("You're not sleeping in," she said. Dang.)

She also said there were no showers in the field, and though there was talk about adding some, she said don't count on it. She said bring baby wipes and sunscreen.

Hey guys I'm applying for medical school this summer and just started looking into the ASR program. From what I've been told it almost looks like a no-brainer to me to sign up as long as I know that I'll get it. This is what a combination of recruiters (my regular recruiter and the Texas NG medical recruiter) told me, just wondering if you all think it holds up. This is for Texas right now:

First, I was told that I shouldn't sign up until I get a letter of acceptance for medical school, which makes sense because it would be dumb of me to sign up before I am sure I will be eligible for the medical school funding. After I get accepted to an accredited school, I was told that the ASR program is actually not too competitive. The medical recruiter (who seemed to know the most specific information) said there are five open spots now, and twelve people on the wait list (nationwide). But that with people graduating in the summer more spots will open up. He said a few more would open up in Texas so multiplying that small number by a large percentage of the states has a good number of spots opening up.

After I get accepted to medical school I can immediately begin filling out the load of paperwork required and sign up. Then (I think) I can go to basic training if I want and then to officer training...I'm not sure how long each of these will be. It seems like there might be two different officer training programs, a shorter one and an extended one?

The benefits (here in Texas) seem to be:

- $1500/month housing allowance (non-taxable)
-- I'm not sure if this whole sum can only be spent on housing or if I can pocket the difference. Anyone know?
- about $2000/month basic pay
- GI Bill funds to cover books and lab fees (anyone know how much this usually is?)
- the Texas component of the NG will cover $4500 of tuition per semester, while the Federal component will cover $4500 of tuition annually
- full free health insurance for myself and any dependents
- free stand-by flights for myself and dependents on military planes with room to anywhere in the world
- free admission to Disney World and SeaWorld :D
- the order that completing medical school or residency is my top priority (so if I have tests coming up I can call in and miss the monthly training...I was told that in reality medical students rarely go to training)
- the ability to go to any civilian residency I choose
- and I won't get called for an active duty assignment until AFTER my three year residency

They did say that the program may change a little between now and when the funds will come through in October so I need to recheck all the facts after I get into medical school before I sign up.

That's all I can remember right now, I have it all written down at home.

Does this sound like correct information? Both the recruiters I talked to sounded very knowledgeable (especially the medical recruiter since programs like this are his sole responsibility)

Hey guys I'm applying for medical school this summer and just started looking into the ASR program. From what I've been told it almost looks like a no-brainer to me to sign up as long as I know that I'll get it. This is what a combination of recruiters (my regular recruiter and the Texas NG medical recruiter) told me, just wondering if you all think it holds up. This is for Texas right now:

A Texas NG recruiter is useless for AMEDD recruitment. No disrespect to them, but it is not the area they specialize in.

First, I was told that I shouldn't sign up until I get a letter of acceptance for medical school, which makes sense because it would be dumb of me to sign up before I am sure I will be eligible for the medical school funding. After I get accepted to an accredited school, I was told that the ASR program is actually not too competitive. The medical recruiter (who seemed to know the most specific information) said there are five open spots now, and twelve people on the wait list (nationwide). But that with people graduating in the summer more spots will open up. He said a few more would open up in Texas so multiplying that small number by a large percentage of the states has a good number of spots opening up.

Last I have heard, ASR is suspended. I believe that Texas is working on building up a waitlist so they can show NGB a reason to bring back the program. I may have dated information, though.

After I get accepted to medical school I can immediately begin filling out the load of paperwork required and sign up. Then (I think) I can go to basic training if I want and then to officer training...I'm not sure how long each of these will be. It seems like there might be two different officer training programs, a shorter one and an extended one?

Get the paperwork and fill out what you can now. Send it in to your TX NG AMEDD recruiter once you get the letter. The paperwork takes a bit of effort to fill out and you might as well get started while you have time.

As an NG AMEDD officer, you will not go to basic. You will go to a 26 day Officer Basic Leadership Course (OBLC) in San Antonio at some point. The course is filled for this summer, so you're probably looking at going the summer between MS1 and MS2.

The benefits (here in Texas) seem to be:

- $1500/month housing allowance (non-taxable)
-- I'm not sure if this whole sum can only be spent on housing or if I can pocket the difference. Anyone know?
- about $2000/month basic pay
- GI Bill funds to cover books and lab fees (anyone know how much this usually is?)
- the Texas component of the NG will cover $4500 of tuition per semester, while the Federal component will cover $4500 of tuition annually
- full free health insurance for myself and any dependents
- free stand-by flights for myself and dependents on military planes with room to anywhere in the world
- free admission to Disney World and SeaWorld :D
- the order that completing medical school or residency is my top priority (so if I have tests coming up I can call in and miss the monthly training...I was told that in reality medical students rarely go to training)
- the ability to go to any civilian residency I choose
- and I won't get called for an active duty assignment until AFTER my three year residency

I'm going to ignore the fringe benefits (e.g. SeaWorld) and focus on the key stuff.

In ASR, you would be on AD for three years. This entails $3600 a month and full health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your immediately family. The roughly $2000 in base pay is taxable, the housing is not. You get a check for the full amount and can do as you please with it.

If not in ASR, you would get paid based on how often you drill. I think it starts out at around $370 a weekend for a new 2LT. Note: You can't double up and get drill pay while on active duty for ASR since you are already being paid.

As a Guard member, regardless of ASR or not, you get $4500 a year in Federal Tuition Assistance. I haven't heard of an additional $4500 a year from the state. There are some Texas specific educational programs, but from what I've looked into most either require a federal deployment or federal active duty (ASR falls udner state active duty) or don't apply to medical school. I'm not certain that I haven't missed anything, but I have yet to find anything additional. You would be eligible for the reserve GI Bill after completing the OBLC which pays out a few hundred a month.

I've been meaning to check how using the reserve bill affects eligibility for the active duty versions. It's worth clarifying before taking the much less substantial reserve version, but this is a distant issue.

You do get to go to a civilian residency and the current atmosphere in the Texas NG is definitely one of prioritizing school for medical students. The officer currently in charge has made this clear both through action and word and he should be around a few more years. Admittedly, this could change during the course of your obligation.

For the last point, I find it a bit silly to say you can't be deployed during medical school or residency when dealing with an organization that can draft civilians. At the end of the day, you are an officer and your protections from deployment are at the whim of the government. That being said, protection from deployment up through internship is about as assured as you can get. They've made a large investment in you as a physician. There is no real reason to be concerned about being pulled from residency, but if WWIII breaks out it is more plausible that resident will be deployed than interns and medical students. With two decade long wars going on, I've yet to hear of a resident pulled from training.

Long story short, telling you it's guaranteed is not true, but with the probabilities we're talking about you're better off focusing your energy on not dieing in a car accident than worrying about your education being itnerupted.

They did say that the program may change a little between now and when the funds will come through in October so I need to recheck all the facts after I get into medical school before I sign up.

That's all I can remember right now, I have it all written down at home.

Does this sound like correct information? Both the recruiters I talked to sounded very knowledgeable (especially the medical recruiter since programs like this are his sole responsibility)

Think I hit the major points. I'm an ASR in Texas so feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just post them here. I check the forum pretty frequently.

Last edited:
Think I hit the major points. I'm an ASR in Texas so feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just post them here. I check the forum pretty frequently.

Is the course really filled for this summer? I'm trying to get into the August 10 start course, hopefully that ones not filled yet.

With a slew of folks hitting OBLC in the coming months, I'm hoping we'll have a couple of volunteers keeping daily/weekly diaries of the experience to post on the OBC sticky. ASR's OBLC has been notably absent from there for years...

Members don't see this ad :)
With a slew of folks hitting OBLC in the coming months, I'm hoping we'll have a couple of volunteers keeping daily/weekly diaries of the experience to post on the OBC sticky. ASR's OBLC has been notably absent from there for years...

I'll try to get something like that going while I'm there

I'll try to get something like that going while I'm there

See if you can find out what changes they're making for the FY2011. I know they have added the phase 1 online course for me and it seems like the dates are 2-3 days longer than before. I'm going to the first class in FY 2011 in Nov 2010.

See if you can find out what changes they're making for the FY2011. I know they have added the phase 1 online course for me and it seems like the dates are 2-3 days longer than before. I'm going to the first class in FY 2011 in Nov 2010.
I don't think the course is adding days. If you look at the other 2011 course offerings, it seems to still be the standard 26 days.

The November course looks about two days longer, but that might be due to Thanksgiving falling in the middle and a couple of days liberty given?

Random Question:

Is it in bad taste to conduct military business without meeting military grooming standards?

I've been letting a beard grow. Obviously I'll shave it off the second I have to put on a uniform, but is it in bad taste to leave it if I'm just going on base to buy a uniform or helping with recruiting while in business attire? It's not a big deal, just something I've been curious about.

Is it in bad taste to conduct military business without meeting military grooming standards?
Yes.

Once you start drawing ASR pay, you are considered a full-time Army officer. Beards are a no-go. You're also required to meet height/weight and physical standards.

I had to shave off a goattee I'd had for many years for swearing in. I'd grow it back in a heartbeat if I could.

Once you start drawing ASR pay, you are considered a full-time Army officer. Beards are a no-go.

Even when not wearing a uniform or doing anything related to the military?

Edit: Well, I guess you can make the argument that our military duties include medical school and so we are on duty every day of ASR, even if not actively participating in a recruiting even or such.

Last edited:

Edit: Well, I guess you can make the argument that our military duties include medical school and so we are on duty every day of ASR, even if not actively participating in a recruiting even or such.

No one knows your status and you could very well be on leave...do what you gotta do. I keep facial hair most of the time now while in school because I don't feel like running a lawn mower through my face every day if I don't have to. When times for duty or OBLC, that's a different story.

Exactly. I'm getting paid by the Army to attend medical school, so I try to look the part since you never know when you have the chance to get someone interested in the Guard.

That said, weekends? Breaks? Step I madness? Fuggedaboudit...

In fairness, keep in mind that I started ASR pretty far into my second year and once third year rolls around, you more or less have to shave every day anyway if you want to look professional to your patients. So I might have a different attitude if my school schedule made looking like a wookie during the week a realistic option...

Does anyone know if they are planning on opening up ASR any time soon? Seems like a fine program.

Random Question:

I've been letting a beard grow. Obviously I'll shave it off the second I have to put on a uniform, but is it in bad taste to leave it if I'm just going on base to buy a uniform or helping with recruiting while in business attire? It's not a big deal, just something I've been curious about.

I'd say yes it is bad form. The way I look at it is I am paid extremely well to represent the army to my classmates, and not do much more than that. I shaved the day before I swore in and anytime I'm out in public I make sure I've shaved in the last 24-48 hours. It's a pain in the butt but worth the paycheck.

Hi. new here. Potential med student Interested in the national guard mdssp program. Couple of questions?

What does a student/physician do in drilling?
Once graduated can you be deployed out of the state? out of the country?

I am in pennsylvania.

Thanks

I'd say yes it is bad form. The way I look at it is I am paid extremely well to represent the army to my classmates, and not do much more than that. I shaved the day before I swore in and anytime I'm out in public I make sure I've shaved in the last 24-48 hours. It's a pain in the butt but worth the paycheck.

I see your point and agree that we have a more or less constant obligation to carry ourselves in a respectable manner. I agree that we're obligated to not look like a slob, stay in decent shape, act friendly and courteously, etc. I just question whether a clean shave versus a well groomed shave is necessary (barring a uniform or acting in a direct military duty like being at a recruiting event).

I think you can look professional without a clean shave and isn't that ultimately the point (again, outside of wearing a uniform when the goal is also uniformity)?

I haven't decided which answer I agree with, just a curious question...

I see your point and agree that we have a more or less constant obligation to carry ourselves in a respectable manner.
We're under a constant obligation to carry ourselves as an Army officer. We didn't sign up to be respectable. We signed up to be officers.

I think it's basically up to interpretation. If we think of ourselves as Joe Public except for one weekend a month of drill, you can look like a slob, act unfriendly, and be rude unless you're at drill.

We're either soldiers or we're not. If we are, we have to behave as such, and part of that is looking the part.
I think you can look professional without a clean shave and isn't that ultimately the point (again, outside of wearing a uniform when the goal is also uniformity)?
You might be overthinking it. If we're not a soldier when we're not in uniform, we can behave and look however we like. The beard can be beaded and down to our clavicles. If we are a soldier when we're not in uniform, our opinion of how a beard looks is irrelevant. Beards are against regulation.

We're under a constant obligation to carry ourselves as an Army officer. We didn't sign up to be respectable. We signed up to be officers.

I think it's basically up to interpretation. If we think of ourselves as Joe Public except for one weekend a month of drill, you can look like a slob, act unfriendly, and be rude unless you're at drill.

We're either soldiers or we're not. If we are, we have to behave as such, and part of that is looking the part.

You might be overthinking it. If we're not a soldier when we're not in uniform, we can behave and look however we like. The beard can be beaded and down to our clavicles. If we are a soldier when we're not in uniform, our opinion of how a beard looks is irrelevant. Beards are against regulation.

Maybe I've missed something, but the only regulations I've seen say beards are a no go when in uniform or when in civilian clothes AND on official duty. That basically comes back to whether you would consider us on official duty at school...

The issue of looking and acting professionally has more to do with the same principles that expect us to do so as physicians though I'm sure there is something in writing somewhere telling us we have a legal (rather than just social or professional) obligation, but I've never seen anything specifically against facial hair outside of wearing a uniform.

All I know is that the ex-jarhead at the gun range always gives me and my rockin beard a funny look when I show my ID for half-price range time.

Don't mean to be a stickler, but we are on active duty whether we are in uniform or not.

I guess it is up to you, but it seems like the whole "interpreting regs on your own" when no one is watching doesn't fly well in the Army/ That pattern could come back to bite you....ie you run into another officer / superior.

Again, not trying to be the D bag here, but for what we get, I really feel we should set an example. Just my $0.02

You never know when you're going to bump into someone who will notice you're military. This can lead to both positive and negative conversations. I wear a digital camo backpack, a digital camo scrub cap in surgery, and have a licence plate. All three things have struck up conversations with people about being in the military. I even had a sandwich artist at Subway tell me she wanted to enlist when she saw my t-shirt one day. I got her info and sent it to an enlisted recruiter.

BTW: Does everyone know you can get 10% off at Lowes on your entire purchase if you show your ID. They don't seem to care what it is you're buying or even question you.

I will be attending medical school in Georgia beginning August 2010 (MS1). I'm working with the medical recruiter of the Georgia National Guard. I had my MEPS physical on March 24th and passed! Yeah! Not bad for a 52-year-old guy.

My recruiter is now submitting my "package" to the Army Medical Board and the board meets in April (perhaps the 7th - I'm not sure). What is the Board looking for? What are the odds of selection or rejection? When do I find out their decision?

I understand that if selected I then have State Guard Board and a Federal Recognition Board to appear before on the same day and commissioning in the National Guard usually the same day.

Having passed the medical exam, what are my chances now? If it matters, I am prior service enlisted - Hospital Corpsman U.S. Navy.

I am hopeful that new ASR funds/slots will be authorized or current slots will open up due to projected graduations.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
The boards are little more than a bureaucratic red tape for medical students and professionals. If you have something to worry about, it's such a major issue you would be well aware of it.

Just sit back and wait. Eventually you'll go before a state board. Act professionally and answer the questions with the same basic level of social interaction you surely must have displayed to get into medical school and you'll be fine.

The boards are really nothing to worry about. The medical screening is the big issue for most medical folks...

BTW: Does everyone know you can get 10% off at Lowes on your entire purchase if you show your ID. They don't seem to care what it is you're buying or even question you.

My cousin is active duty Air Force. She always goes to Lowes. One time there was a new guy ringing her up, and he refused to give her the discount. He said, "I think that's only good on Veterans Day." She said, "EVERY DAY is Veterans Day." He gave her the discount, and she hasn't had a problem since. :)

Having passed the medical exam, what are my chances now? If it matters, I am prior service enlisted - Hospital Corpsman U.S. Navy.

Thoughts anyone?

As prior service I know your application is more complex since you have to have nearly twice as much paperwork to cover your prior service. I'd guess if your prior service record has no reason for them to reject you and you haven't had any legal problems since you left there will be no problems.

Good luck.

I had a nightmare last night that I was in uniform, but with white socks and hadn't shaved. For real. :scared::scared::scared:

I'd say it was this thread, but this is the third time it's happened. Feel free to interpret. I actually prefer my recurring drowning/buried alive nightmares to these.

As prior service I know your application is more complex since you have to have nearly twice as much paperwork to cover your prior service. I'd guess if your prior service record has no reason for them to reject you and you haven't had any legal problems since you left there will be no problems.

Good luck.

Thanks EMH. No worries on the prior service. Honorable Discharge, E-5 in first enlistment, no Article 15 stuff, top evaluations, "Sailor of the Month" at two commands.

No legal trouble except a few speeding tickets in my entire life. I am playing the "hurry up and wait" game.

Those of you going to OBLC this summer, what are your plans for getting a uniform? Just wait and get it there? Internet?

I recommend you get them before..if you plan on buying them there you won't have much time. Date of arrival is 06/30 and course starts the next day. If you arrive late and clothing&sales is closed for the day then you're SOL..or they might be out of your size. Just buy some online and you should be good to go. Don't forget all the other things that you need....army green socks, belt, shirts, boots, acu head cover, baret. Make sure you order the right color for everything...ie don't get a black belt I think that's phased out by now. There should be pictures online of what color everything has to be, let me know if you need something specific

I recommend you get them before..if you plan on buying them there you won't have much time. Date of arrival is 06/30 and course starts the next day. If you arrive late and clothing&sales is closed for the day then you're SOL..or they might be out of your size. Just buy some online and you should be good to go. Don't forget all the other things that you need....army green socks, belt, shirts, boots, acu head cover, baret. Make sure you order the right color for everything...ie don't get a black belt I think that's phased out by now. There should be pictures online of what color everything has to be, let me know if you need something specific
Don't sweat it if you show up to OBLC without uniforms. Last year they had people walking around in civies for almost a week until they acquired everything. That said, I would definitely try to buy most items before arriving, preferably at your nearest Army post, but online will work as well. Ordering online you take the risk of incorrect sizing. I recommend rangerjoes.com, uscav.com, and genjax.com. I have ordered a bunch of stuff with great success at all three sites.

Those of you going to OBLC this summer, what are your plans for getting a uniform? Just wait and get it there? Internet?

Are you not going to drill right now? I'm just curious cause I'd thought everyone was drilling in uniform.

Are you not going to drill right now? I'm just curious cause I'd thought everyone was drilling in uniform.

I am not. Current CO is not interested in making us drill. He has recommended coming down voluntarily from time to time simply for the sake of getting to know people and I will probably do so, but I've been putting it off until after OBLC...

Does the MDSSP pay all 12 months of the year?

I just got this from my recruiter. What is he talking about with the 120,000 dollar loan repayment?? that might be enough for me to join if I can have that and also hope for the ASR program to open up. Anyone care to confirm/punch holes in this email for me?? i'd appreciate it greatly!!

Good morning! The status of the ASR program is a little bit different than it
was a few months ago. It is currently a waitlist program. As people are added
to the waitlist, they receive a number and when there is an open slot, they
then receive that slot. There is no jumping or moving up In the line unless
someone declines the program.
Besides that program we were able to get approved a program where we now pay
off up to $120,000 on student loans when the person has obtained their
license. This program works well for paying off student loans accrued while
someone is waiting for ASR.
The mandatory service obligation for any initial contract is 6 years drilling
time and 2 years in the IRR. While a person is enrolled in medical school, PA
school and/or a residency program, that individual is non deployable. The
advantage here is that the sooner you are in the sooner your time is paid off
without being deployable.
Let me be clear, if you choose to wait until the ASR program is open...we do
use our wait list first and foremost. We get new applicants every month
across the nation and those individuals are the first ones to get the new
seats as people graduate.

I just got this from my recruiter. What is he talking about with the 120,000 dollar loan repayment?? that might be enough for me to join if I can have that and also hope for the ASR program to open up. Anyone care to confirm/punch holes in this email for me?? i'd appreciate it greatly!!

Good morning! The status of the ASR program is a little bit different than it
was a few months ago. It is currently a waitlist program. As people are added
to the waitlist, they receive a number and when there is an open slot, they
then receive that slot. There is no jumping or moving up In the line unless
someone declines the program.
Besides that program we were able to get approved a program where we now pay
off up to $120,000 on student loans when the person has obtained their
license. This program works well for paying off student loans accrued while
someone is waiting for ASR.
The mandatory service obligation for any initial contract is 6 years drilling
time and 2 years in the IRR. While a person is enrolled in medical school, PA
school and/or a residency program, that individual is non deployable. The
advantage here is that the sooner you are in the sooner your time is paid off
without being deployable.
Let me be clear, if you choose to wait until the ASR program is open...we do
use our wait list first and foremost. We get new applicants every month
across the nation and those individuals are the first ones to get the new
seats as people graduate.

Your recruiter is correct. If ASR isn't expanded beyond the currently filled 300 slots, then one person graduates and another is added from the "Merit List" in the order put on the list. I am in the process of applying. All the paperwork is done. I had my MEPS medical exam two weeks ago. I passed except I take medicine for high chlolesterol. A waiver has been requested and I'm told it will be no problem. My Recruiter expects that my package will go before the Army Medical Selection Board on May 4th. If selected, I have State Guard and Federal Recognition Boards on May 19th and commissioning the same day. Then I start drilling. I'm hoping for ASR money too. At the very least, I get drill pay and pay for OBLC next summer, $4,500 a year in tution assitance plus loan repayment after medical school and residency. I have been told that some 40+ folks are scheduled to graduate in May or June and less than that number are on the waiting list so there is a good chance of getting ASR for 2010 - 2011 school year. We shall see. I'm doing it. :xf: :thumbup:

I just got this from my recruiter. What is he talking about with the 120,000 dollar loan repayment??

That's the new Health profession loan repayment program $. It used to be $75,000 and just went up. How it works: Once you are board eligible (post residency) you can sign a contract to receive that $ over 3 years as long as you stay in for those years. It kind of encourages you to go ahead and take some loans while you're in school even if you don't need to.

However, this is not something that is in your contract when you join (I don't think officers can stipulate terms in their contract). There are some conditions that you have to meet to be eligible and the program can change between now and the time you are board eligible.

That's the new Health profession loan repayment program $. It used to be $75,000 and just went up. How it works: Once you are board eligible (post residency) you can sign a contract to receive that $ over 3 years as long as you stay in for those years. It kind of encourages you to go ahead and take some loans while you're in school even if you don't need to.

Ok, so, the contract starts after residency. I'm not sure if that sounds like a good gig anymore, I was under the impression it started after medical school. Also, what do you think the chances are of applying and getting picked off the waitlist?? I originally wanted to join to do ASR but then it went on hold, and now it's based off of a waitlist (correct?). I'm accepted to matriculate next year so do you think I should wait and see if ASR is reinstated and then apply after MS1 since it is a 3 year program anyway? I just wonder what you guys would do in our shoes.

Thank you,
Monkey.

If ASR isn't expanded beyond the currently filled 300 slots, then one person graduates and another is added from the "Merit List" in the order put on the list.
People, please keep in mind that this is the "idea" and it's funding permitted dependent. There has been nothing that I've seen in writing about this.

A couple of tips:

1. DO NOT JOIN the National Guard unless you will be satisfied drilling for 6 years without ASR. Whether slots will open up as people leave is the hope right now, but it hasn't happened yet. So don't sign on the dotted line unless you'd be happy staying in the Guard even without ASR.

2. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR MDSSP thinking you can switch over to ASR, as this is currenlty prohibited.
At the very least, I get drill pay and pay for OBLC next summer, $4,500 a year in tution assitance plus loan repayment after medical school and residency.
Good attitude. If you're happy with that, it's a good reason to join. Think of ASR as the cherry on top, should it open up again.

Ok, so, the contract starts after residency. I'm not sure if that sounds like a good gig anymore, I was under the impression it started after medical school.
When you graduate residency, you submit for loan repayment. Once approved, a clock starts and one year later, you're given $40K in loan reimbursements. This happens twice more for a total of $120K, paid out over three years.
Also, what do you think the chances are of applying and getting picked off the waitlist?? I originally wanted to join to do ASR but then it went on hold, and now it's based off of a waitlist (correct?).
No, now people are hoping to do ASR and recruiters are signing them up letting them know they'll be in a queue for ASR. Are recruiters going to offer up slots based on whose joined when? I think that would be logical.

If this were a true waitlist, folks would be issued "control numbers." These are essentially formal spots in line for ASR when they open up. This is not happening. Right now, it's dependent on hoping that recruiters will keep track of whose applied when and will be drawing off of that list accordingly.

I may be wrong, but if I am, I sure haven't seen anything in writing on it. The official word that I've heard is that we can sign people up and will try to get them in ASR slots if they open up, but for now, ASR is closed.