Army/Navy consider big buck sign ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Army and Navy (translate Marines) are having difficulty meeting their goals for physician and dentist accessions. The Air Force seems to being doing ok. Congress is concerned enough to be considering legislation to allow the Army and Navy to offer $200,000 accession bonuses to physicians and dentists and $400,000 sign on bonuses for those willing to be stationed in areas such as Iraq.

Members don't see this ad.

source? thanks. interesting if it's true.

groundhog said:
The Army and Navy (translate Marines) are having difficulty meeting their goals for physician and dentist accessions. The Air Force seems to being doing ok. Congress is concerned enough to be considering legislation to allow the Army and Navy to offer $200,000 accession bonuses to physicians and dentists and $400,000 sign on bonuses for those willing to be stationed in areas such as Iraq.

Members don't see this ad :)
tludy said:
This would imply that you can "choose" to join the military and not be available for combat duty. I don't buy that.

I would tend to agree. But then again, we don't have the draft anymore. Today is all volunteer. If the Air Force is able to meet its quota but not the Army or Navy (Marines) one might suspect that it is due to the higher risk of getting stationed at the front in someplace like Iraq. So congress may be considering an incentive....sign up with guarantee to remain behind the lines $200,000.....willing to go anywhere on the front ...$400,000. This is still a work in progress in the congress and could go nowhere...stay tuned.

OK just found a better source for this report than my local newspaper. This comes from "The Stars and Stripes" (the military newspaper). It talks about both physicians and dentists, but I'll stick to the dental part. This bill is now before a joint Senate/House of Reps committee which means it is pretty far down the pipeline. Sign up bonus increases from $30,000 to $200,000 for dentists. The $400,000 bonus would likley be for just OMS's as it relates to dentists. The bonuses have nothing to do with choice of assignments as was implied in my local news article. Other incentives which impact annual pay will also be increased

As usual, it is probably a bunch of empty promises just waiting for a naive civilian to buy into :cool:

groundhog said:
When legislation is in front of a joint Senate/House Committee it is quite far along the process.

You sure? Have you watched C-Span lately? :laugh:

tom_servo_dds said:
You sure? Have you watched C-Span lately? :laugh:
Good point. Being far along in the process does not always equate to timely closure in the US Congress. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: