Army OBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smmossey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just recently accepted the Army HPSP scholarship, and was sworn in. I am matriculating to WVSOM in early August and was wondering if anyone knew the dates for OBC? I know it is a six week course, but wasn't sure of the dates on it. I was curious because I am planning an excursion to Japan for 2 weeks prior to starting school. Also I know most of the time OBC is done between MS1 and MS2, but my recruiter said if I act fast I can get it done and over with. Not currently thrilled with my job at UNO's :( I figured I would get this done so I have other opportunities during my summer between MS1 and MS2. I found a great amount of detail on the program but not the actual dates it usually occurs.

Also any info on OBC would be appreciated i.e. schedule for the six weeks, what to pack, and daily schedules. I found some old threads on the topic, but I am not sure if things have changed at all.

Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

The first 3 weeks you spend at FSH. You attend a lot of lectures on Army stuff (different branches, customs and courtesies, writing for an officer, etc) and then on medical operations (different levels of care, evac, etc). We had PT a couple times a week but most of it was done on our own. Classes usually started at 0800 and we were done most days by 1600-1730. After that, we were free to do whatever we wanted. For PT we had to be in formation with accountability done by 0515-0530. At the beginning, we had more formations before classes just to get used to the commands and marching. The day after the 4th of July weekend, we were driven to Camp Bullis. We stayed 5 days, 5 days and then 4 days over the last three weeks. The first week in the field, we did marksmanship (M16, M9) as well as land nav (day and night) and other tasks like assembling a radio and making a call, disassemble/reassemble/functions check of the M16 and M9, etc. The second week we did the gas chamber, convoy training (including using the virtual combat trainer) and litter carries. The third week we learned about the different levels of care (BAS, CSH, etc). We were able to triage patients and move them to the next level. It was pretty fun.

In the field you stay in tents at the FOB. There are no showers so bring wet wipes. It's not that bad but when you get back to FSH after your week at the field, you grab your gear and run to take a shower (or two or three). We also did PT at the FOB. Some of us did combatives while others did actual PT. It depended on if you passed your PT test.

Also we had 1 day where representatives from the different MTF's and ACH's talked about their program and location. Then another day, we went over to BAMC to listen to residents talk about their program and we could ask questions. At the end of that day, there was a meet and greet with the PDs from BAMC. It was very informative and interesting to listen to the benefits of each location/program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses this is a huge help for me. :)

smmossey,

My advice for timing is to get it done before school starts. My school started too early and first year went too long to do it, so I'm going this summer, before 3rd year. As much as you want a long summer before school, it might be nicer to have a long vacation during school and not sweat any of the scheduling.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

I was thinking the same, plus I have no current responsibilities. I work at a restaurant and substitute teach, two jobs I could leave early and really not feel too bad about. I am planning on maybe doing my trip to Japan in May, and then heading to MODS in June-July...that would also give me time with my family before I leave for school. Get it done early sounds like a plan :), now I just need to get the paperwork in.

smmossey,

My advice for timing is to get it done before school starts. My school started too early and first year went too long to do it, so I'm going this summer, before 3rd year. As much as you want a long summer before school, it might be nicer to have a long vacation during school and not sweat any of the scheduling.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

I'm starting MS1 this August and wanted to do early entry BOLC (seems like the smart way to go if you can) but my sgt isn't getting back to me with questions and I don't want to loose my spot so maybe you know; for early entry I know you request the ADT through MODS like normal, but I thought we had to call Ft Sam or something and get approval/clearance to attend? Anybody with an idea, please let me know.

Oh, and I bought my boots; I feel cool.

I'm starting MS1 this August and wanted to do early entry BOLC (seems like the smart way to go if you can) but my sgt isn't getting back to me with questions and I don't want to loose my spot so maybe you know; for early entry I know you request the ADT through MODS like normal, but I thought we had to call Ft Sam or something and get approval/clearance to attend? Anybody with an idea, please let me know.

Oh, and I bought my boots; I feel cool
Nice!:thumbup:

I don't know what early entry is. (Is is just doing it before first year?) They only authorize us to do the June 12- July 26 OBLC, so that's the only session you can do. If you requested it on MODS, I would pester your recruiter to get in touch which whomever he needs to to find out. Try posting this as a question on the MODS discussion forum. I am consistently amazed at how quickly my problems get fixed by Arthur and his team vs trying to do it on my own. They do great work at getting you what you need.

Oh, and I bought my boots; I feel cool.

Early entry is a term the Army uses that allows students to complete the BOLC pror to MS-1. After you have pre-enrolled on MODS you can then request the BOLC there as well. From that point on, it's up to your recruiter to ensure that your packet gets to his command in Fort Knox. Fort Knox prioritizes what they send to the HPSP office with requests for early entry BOLC at the top of the list.

Buying the boots is great, but wear them and break them in between now and BOLC.

Speaking of boots, does anybody have input on what a good pair would be? I've done some asking around, and the danner rough out TFX look good, and the belleville 390's were recommended by someone I talked to.

I've read the obc sticky and plan to get the ASU tailored at Ft. Myer in DC before I go, along with the 2 sets of ACU. Besides that, does anybody have uniform/general packing list advice?

Speaking of boots, does anybody have input on what a good pair would be? I've done some asking around, and the danner rough out TFX look good, and the belleville 390's were recommended by someone I talked to.
As you look for boots keep in mind that there are two kinds: the kind you can wear and the kind you can wear at BOLC. There are some minor regs related to boots that aren't really enforced too hardcore, but they will call you out at BOLC.

I don't think the Danner's you're talking about qualify for BOLC. Technically, any boot with the sole rising up to protect the toe at the front is against regs. I doubt anyone would care, but they will at BOLC. They called a bunch out on it when I went and folks had to buy new boots. The Belleville's are fine and are lovely boots. I was hoping to buy them, but they don't fit everybody.
I've read the obc sticky and plan to get the ASU tailored at Ft. Myer in DC before I go, along with the 2 sets of ACU. Besides that, does anybody have uniform/general packing list advice?
They should send you an official packing list and an "unofficial" packing list as well when you get closer to your departure date. Most of it is common sense stuff. Be aware that they issue you the wet gear, so don't go out and buy the Goretex jacket/pants since they'll give it to you. That wasn't too clear in the packing list.

In the field you stay in tents at the FOB. There are no showers so bring wet wipes.
Good summary, but believe it or not, showers have come to Camp Bullis. Not sure if they are working yet or not, but they were installed this past fall. There's a culture change...

Members don't see this ad :)
Good summary, but believe it or not, showers have come to Camp Bullis. Not sure if they are working yet or not, but they were installed this past fall. There's a culture change...

Interesting. They told us this summer that the Army wasn't gonna put showers in because the FOB was built on flood plains and it would cost a lot to get them set up. But it seemed like the AF was doing a lot of stuff at Bullis so maybe they footed the bill. I would like to thank the AF for the sweet convoy simulators. They were a lot of fun

I'm attaching a file I received for boot selection. I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna violate any policies or give out sensitive information. Also, I'm gonna paraphrase the email I received from our class advisor last summer at BOLC in regards to boots:

Unauthorized boots typically either have have zippers, buckles, are not at least 8-10 inches in height, or the front of the toe comes over too much like a running shoe. Also, do not get the boot with straps and buckles on the first page...this boot is for tankers.

Attachments

• Army Authorized Boots.pdf
    426.3 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for the input on the packing list and boots. I'll wait on the gortex stuff, thanks for the tip

Anyone know how long it takes to get approved on the MODS site to register? Its been almost 2 weeks now, and still no verification or word. Does my recruiter need to verify this? If I wanna do OBC I should probably figure this out haha!

Anyone know how long it takes to get approved on the MODS site to register? Its been almost 2 weeks now, and still no verification or word. Does my recruiter need to verify this? If I wanna do OBC I should probably figure this out haha!

Stay on ur recruiters...if they cant fix it they usually know what to do to find someone who can

I'm attaching a file I received for boot selection. I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna violate any policies or give out sensitive information. Also, I'm gonna paraphrase the email I received from our class advisor last summer at BOLC in regards to boots:

Unauthorized boots typically either have have zippers, buckles, are not at least 8-10 inches in height, or the front of the toe comes over too much like a running shoe. Also, do not get the boot with straps and buckles on the first page...this boot is for tankers.

So the pair on the bottom row far right, on the second page of your attached file of "good" boots it looks like those are the Danner boots I linked to above. So they are good to go for BOLC?

So the pair on the bottom row far right, on the second page of your attached file of "good" boots it looks like those are the Danner boots I linked to above. So they are good to go for BOLC?
I know that folks who wore the Blackhawk's were told they needed to be replaced due to the toe guard rising up from the sole. The Danner's look like they're sporting the same style. Caveat emptor....

That said, you can wear either pair to your heart's content when you get out of BOLC, so there you go...

I need some help if someone would kindly assist me.

1) I have finally signed up for the OBC course via the MODS site my recruiter sent me to.

However, It asked for my AKO account which was never approved though I have signed up for one twice now. It asks for my sponsor...I put my recruiter and then never get my password or a confirmation email. As of now I have no AKO email and therefore cannot check for any updates, or confirmations on OBC. My recruiter says he is doing all he can and never got any notice and has apparently called. It's been close to a month now...I really want to do OBC this summer. Can I contact Fort Sam possibly or does anyone have any advice on who I can contact to at least maybe hold a spot till this all clears up?

I need some help if someone would kindly assist me.

1) I have finally signed up for the OBC course via the MODS site my recruiter sent me to.

However, It asked for my AKO account which was never approved though I have signed up for one twice now. It asks for my sponsor...I put my recruiter and then never get my password or a confirmation email. As of now I have no AKO email and therefore cannot check for any updates, or confirmations on OBC. My recruiter says he is doing all he can and never got any notice and has apparently called. It's been close to a month now...I really want to do OBC this summer. Can I contact Fort Sam possibly or does anyone have any advice on who I can contact to at least maybe hold a spot till this all clears up?

It took almost til March or so until I was confirmed and had orders for BOLC. I signed up when I received an email telling me to submit my ADT request which I think was around Thanksgiving or Christmas. You don't need an AKO account to receive information on BOLC. Whatever email you have listed on MODS will be fine. They will snail mail you orders and then you book your flight. If you have signed up then I wouldn't worry about it. There were people who were notified within 48 hours of having to report that they were needing to make arrangements to attend BOLC. I wouldn't bother calling Ft. Sam. If you wanna verify your information, call the HPSP office or submit a thread on MODS.

Also, when you receive your orders and book your flight, make sure you fax/scan your orders to Carlson-Wagonlit ASAP. Don't wait like I did. My travel arrangements got messed up and I ended up having to buy my own flight to BOLC. It was my fault though. I thought I could fly out of where my parents live but my orders said I was supposed to fly out of my home base which is where school is located. I didn't have enough time to have my orders amended so I could fly out of a different locale and I had to pay my way. If you have ANY questions or are not sure if you are allowed to do something, do not hesitate to call the HPSP office. It will make everything so much easier.

I got an email through my MODS email (not AKO) that said "Course Reservation Verification", It have me the class number and a bunch of websites to verify my reservation. My question is whether this email are a kind of artificial orders and I for sure have a spot this summer, or does the email just mean they got my reservation and they will get to me if they have room. Anyone else remember getting this email and what it means?

On a side note, I was lucky enough to be part of the google chrome os pilot program (not spamming, i swear). i am using the laptop right now, it works great for this site. uses the chrome browser, formats fine.

How did everybody get to BOLC? Did you guys drive or fly there?

Is there a shuttle from the airport to Ft. Sam?

Are distances on base walkable or do you need your car to get from the BOQ to classroom buildings? Is there a shuttle on base? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need my F-150 while I'm there, because if I don't I'll just fly there out of Jacksonville.

How did everybody get to BOLC? Did you guys drive or fly there?

Is there a shuttle from the airport to Ft. Sam?

Are distances on base walkable or do you need your car to get from the BOQ to classroom buildings? Is there a shuttle on base? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need my F-150 while I'm there, because if I don't I'll just fly there out of Jacksonville.

You take a taxi from the airport. It will cost around $20 so hopefully you can share the cab with other people.

You don't need a car at FSH. You can walk everywhere and that's what most people do. There are taxis on base that give you a ride anywhere on base for $5 per trip. Walking is good because you acclimate to the heat quicker and you burn off some calories. The distance from the "hotel" to the classrooms is a bit less than a mile but easily walkable. The only time a vehicle would be helpful is if you wanna go off base somewhere but most of us just piled into a taxi.

I think the regs stipulate you are not allowed to drive if you live more than 350 miles away. There were people that drove and I'm not sure if they were allowed to or did it anyways. I know some people were PCSing to their next duty station (mostly dentists) so they drove because it was on the way to their duty station.

I got an email through my MODS email (not AKO) that said "Course Reservation Verification", It have me the class number and a bunch of websites to verify my reservation. My question is whether this email are a kind of artificial orders and I for sure have a spot this summer, or does the email just mean they got my reservation and they will get to me if they have room. Anyone else remember getting this email and what it means?

On a side note, I was lucky enough to be part of the google chrome os pilot program (not spamming, i swear). i am using the laptop right now, it works great for this site. uses the chrome browser, formats fine.

I second this if anyone knows an answer. Not sure if this means I am going to Fort Sam this summer or not. Got the email with reservation and class number. Just curious if I should buy a ticket, order my uniform, and start making preparations.

I second this if anyone knows an answer. Not sure if this means I am going to Fort Sam this summer or not. Got the email with reservation and class number. Just curious if I should buy a ticket, order my uniform, and start making preparations.

I got a hold of my recruitment sergeant and he told me that yes this means we are going to BOLC, but that the right hand moves faster than the left and we should be getting orders in a couple weeks.

Start making preps, but don't buy your ticket. Wait for orders and then call the travel agent, that way you don't have to get reimbursed.

Yes you will be attending BOLC this summer. You need your orders to get a plane ticket through Carlson-Wagonlit. There's no need to rush and get your tickets now because the Army will pay for it regardless of the cost. If you purchase the ticket, it is much more difficult to get reimbursed so just let the Army pay for it upfront.

When you schedule the flights, try to get to San Antonio in the morning (1100 or 1200). We didn't check in to the "hotel" right away. We had to wait for a bit before we got our rooms. After we did that, we went and checked in with the cadre. They did height/weight and had you make sure your information was right in their computers.

You take a taxi from the airport. It will cost around $20 so hopefully you can share the cab with other people.

You don't need a car at FSH. You can walk everywhere and that's what most people do. There are taxis on base that give you a ride anywhere on base for $5 per trip. Walking is good because you acclimate to the heat quicker and you burn off some calories. The distance from the "hotel" to the classrooms is a bit less than a mile but easily walkable. The only time a vehicle would be helpful is if you wanna go off base somewhere but most of us just piled into a taxi.

I think the regs stipulate you are not allowed to drive if you live more than 350 miles away. There were people that drove and I'm not sure if they were allowed to or did it anyways. I know some people were PCSing to their next duty station (mostly dentists) so they drove because it was on the way to their duty station.

Depending on what time your flight gets in you can catch a shuttle if they have it again this year. Last summer it was the first time they provided a shuttle to FSH....I was able to catch it and there were some 60 of us that got it...it was a big bus...in april you will hear from your class adviser in regards to this. You may have to wait an hour or so but it is better than burning 20 bucks you can later spend on the riverwalk haha

Sounds good I bought my boots already and will probably order my ACU's and other uniform items, but I'll wait till I get my orders to do anything for the plane ticket.

Depending on what time your flight gets in you can catch a shuttle if they have it again this year. Last summer it was the first time they provided a shuttle to FSH....I was able to catch it and there were some 60 of us that got it...it was a big bus...in april you will hear from your class adviser in regards to this. You may have to wait an hour or so but it is better than burning 20 bucks you can later spend on the riverwalk haha

Yea the shuttle wasn't available so it was highly recommended we take a taxi. You get reimbursed for taxi's per day so it wasn't a huge deal plus if you get 4-5 ppl in the taxi you can split it. The worst part was waiting to check in to the hotel. It was so hot in the lobby. I was surprised how easily the ACU's wicked away sweat and heat once you acclimated to the temp. I miss BOLC sometimes. It was great walking so much and doing some pretty fun stuff. Much better than sitting in my room studying all the time.

JMa did you hear they put showers at Bullis? Someone on here said they finally put some in. If that's the case, then that's BS.

Sounds good I bought my boots already and will probably order my ACU's and other uniform items, but I'll wait till I get my orders to do anything for the plane ticket.

Get your ACUs, PT gear, boots, etc now. I'd wait on anything for the ASU (if your class has to buy them) because they need to have a certain fit and it's better to do it in person. If you can make it to a Clothing Exchange and get the ASU ahead of time then that will save you a ton of time. I wouldn't buy more than one pair of boots. Make sure you have enough socks for when you go to the field. You can probably get away with only 3 PT shirts, 2 pairs of shorts and some socks but make sure the PT socks cover your ankles. I would just let the shirt air out and then rotate which ones I wore since I only did laundry once a week. Don't forget the yellow reflective belt. You won't need to buy a backpack unless you want one. You will be issued a pack that will easily hold all your gear, camelback, books, etc plus they are waterproof. I bought a cheap ($15) backpack just to carry some things in at the beginning. I didn't want to buy a camo pack since I would have no use for it after BOLC. Plus they are really expensive

Also, buy a camelback. You will use it and it will be a lifesaver. Just make sure its either black or desert camo. When you go to the field, they will give you canteens. Go buy your own. They are about $5 a piece. I always had my two canteens and camelback full of water to stay hydrated and I would fill them up at least 3-4 times per day. I do sweat a lot and get thirsty often. The reason you should buy your own is bc you don't know how clean the ones they give you are. I've been told by many people (including my brother who did basic) that the canteens weren't always used to hold water, if you catch my drift.

Yea the shuttle wasn't available so it was highly recommended we take a taxi. You get reimbursed for taxi's per day so it wasn't a huge deal plus if you get 4-5 ppl in the taxi you can split it. The worst part was waiting to check in to the hotel. It was so hot in the lobby. I was surprised how easily the ACU's wicked away sweat and heat once you acclimated to the temp. I miss BOLC sometimes. It was great walking so much and doing some pretty fun stuff. Much better than sitting in my room studying all the time.

JMa did you hear they put showers at Bullis? Someone on here said they finally put some in. If that's the case, then that's BS.

Yeah that is BS. That is part of the whole experience! Plus, I dont see the point really. Are they going to wear those 3 nasty ACUs for 3 weeks without being washed? Come on, everyone smelled so bad on the bus ride back after one week we had the windows open HAHA Again part of the experience...I am prepping my 1st year students to go to training and I am so jealous I want to go back with them...I had a blast! lol

Also, buy a camelback. You will use it and it will be a lifesaver. Just make sure its either black or desert camo.
Meh, if you are the type that uses camelbak already, I say bring it, but I wouldn't go out and buy one for BOLC. Even in the bush, you're no more than an hour from a water buffalo. And 95% of the time at BOLC, you're within a 5 minute walk.

About 1/3rd of the folks brought camelbak's and of those, about half stopped using it through BOLC. It's irritating to have one more thing to carry around. I stopped bringing mine and I drink water like a fish and sweat like a sinner in church.
When you go to the field, they will give you canteens. Go buy your own. They are about $5 a piece.
This is good advice. They have plenty at the PX. The one's they issue are hit and miss but more were on the side of nasty.

Get your ACUs, PT gear, boots, etc now. I'd wait on anything for the ASU (if your class has to buy them) because they need to have a certain fit and it's better to do it in person. If you can make it to a Clothing Exchange and get the ASU ahead of time then that will save you a ton of time.
Bleeker,

I've been putting together my ASU and I have some questions. For Class B's, I need to have the AMEDD crest pin, correct?
Also, for the ASU jacket, what exactly do I need to put on that? Name plate, shoulder rank, AMEDD crest pin, Medical Corps (or MSC?) lapel pins, U.S. lapel pins... anything else? Beret or fancy hat?

Also, are we going to be getting a packing list with our orders? When do we find out what we need to take with us? For a camelbak, the only colors available are black, Coyote brown (Marines?) and ACU camo. Is the dark brown kosher for OBLC? Or do I need ACU/black?

Thanks for the advice.

Meh, if you are the type that uses camelbak already, I say bring it, but I wouldn't go out and buy one for BOLC. Even in the bush, you're no more than an hour from a water buffalo. And 95% of the time at BOLC, you're within a 5 minute walk.

They only took the buffaloes out a few times (range, litter carry, etc). If we did anything within walking distance of the FOB, you would have to go to the water buffalo but you can't just leave anytime you want to get water. If you keep water in the camelback, you don't have to worry about running out if the buffaloes aren't nearby. I'd say at least half of the people had camelbacks last year if not more. You don't really need a camelback the first 3 weeks when you are at FSH. I'd rather have more water and not need it then run out and fall out due to dehydration. Any chance I had, I filled up my canteens and camelback even if they weren't empty. Staying hydrated is the name of the game in the heat.

Mama Snack's was a lifesaver though. I don't drink coffee so I really cherished when she would show up so I could buy 2-3 pops to use throughout the day. Warm pop is still better than none at all. I tried to avoid eating food from her just so I'd save money and wouldn't put on weight when I was trying to cut weight. MRE's got old somedays, especially if they were crappy flavors. I found it funny that whenever there was a meat MRE (beef patty, etc), it was a chunk of meat with different "sauces". I thought the pasta MRE's were the best. I always made sure to load up on fruit so I could snack on those throughout the day.

Bleeker,
Also, for the ASU jacket, what exactly do I need to put on that? Name plate, shoulder rank, AMEDD crest pin, Medical Corps (or MSC?) lapel pins, U.S. lapel pins... anything else? Beret or fancy hat?

Just use the beret. Don't buy the cap. You need the Medical Corps crest pin, shoulder boards (maroon medical w/ butter bar), U.S. pins, MS lapel pins (once you graduate you wear the MC pins), Army Service ribbon and National Defense Service ribbon on a two ribbon rack, and your last name.

Also, are we going to be getting a packing list with our orders? When do we find out what we need to take with us? For a camelbak, the only colors available are black, Coyote brown (Marines?) and ACU camo. Is the dark brown kosher for OBLC? Or do I need ACU/black?

Thanks for the advice.

You will get a packing list from your class advisor, not with orders. I'd expect something in a couple months about that. I would go w/ black or ACU camo, not the coyote brown.