Army Reserve MDSSP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osckey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going in for my physical at MEPS this Friday and wanted to get some questions answered before I sign on the dotted line. Some geographic info: I am in the South Florida region and will be attending school in Miami. Now the questions:

1. My recruiter says I have no drill obligations during medical school. Has this been anyone else's experience?

2. I'd love to do BOLC this summer before going to medical school. I'm in some of the best shape of my life right now and would rather get it out of the way before stress, school, and sleep deprivation take its toll on my body. Is going to BOLC something I can do before MS-1?

3. When does pay for MDSSP usually begin? As soon as I'm commissioned or as soon as school starts? I have to come up with money for an apartment this summer and could use the money before I start school for living expenses.

4. Are there any questions I should ask my recruiter before swearing in?

I'll be following up with my recruiter and asking him these questions this Friday but wanted to check with the community here to see what your experiences were.

On a side note, I've got to say that I'm so happy and excited to be joining. Sure, there are less than glamorous aspects of military service, but this is definitely one of those life long dreams I've had.

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon,

Is your recruiter a Medical Recruiter or Enlisted Recruiter?
If your recruiter is a Medical Recruiter you going to MEPS for your physical you are not signing on the dotted line. You actually will have to submit your packet to a Board and based on their decision for selection is when you Commission into the Army Reserve.

Good afternoon,

Is your recruiter a Medical Recruiter or Enlisted Recruiter?
If your recruiter is a Medical Recruiter you going to MEPS for your physical you are not signing on the dotted line. You actually will have to submit your packet to a Board and based on their decision for selection is when you Commission into the Army Reserve.

You're absolutely right. My recruiter is a Medical Recruiter (for all I know, you're probably my recruiter).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not your recruiter. I have seen in the past enlisted recruiters would not know any better or think being a Medic is the Army Medical Department. Just wanted to make sure you were headed down the right path. You may want to ask your Recruiter what happens if you do not match into a Critical Area of Concentration?

Reactions: 1 user
You do have drilling obligations unless your local unit is breaking rules. You are allowed to miss up to every other month if your unit allows. It is not a "right" to miss drill

Your recruiter is either wrong or lying....neither of which is helpful to you

Also, there is a rather annoying 40-60hr online phase1 to bolc that has to be done before you enroll in phase2 and many states want a years notice to trap funding. Unless your state has money lying around and wants to send you to ling course bolc, you aren't going this summer, sorry

#3.....your stipend will be back dated so you end up with all your money but it takes forever to get processed. Mine took 4months and I was the fastest of my group to get stipend.

Drill pay, however, has been solid and reliable

You do have drilling obligations unless your local unit is breaking rules. You are allowed to miss up to every other month if your unit allows. It is not a "right" to miss drill

Your recruiter is either wrong or lying....neither of which is helpful to you

Also, there is a rather annoying 40-60hr online phase1 to bolc that has to be done before you enroll in phase2 and many states want a years notice to trap funding. Unless your state has money lying around and wants to send you to ling course bolc, you aren't going this summer, sorry

#3.....your stipend will be back dated so you end up with all your money but it takes forever to get processed. Mine took 4months and I was the fastest of my group to get stipend.

Drill pay, however, has been solid and reliable

Thanks for the response. Concerning drill, I'm assuming I can't drill until I go through BOLC and that I can't go through BOLC until summer after MS-1. So no drill pay throughout MS-1? Am I right or wrong?

Thanks for the response. Concerning drill, I'm assuming I can't drill until I go through BOLC and that I can't go through BOLC until summer after MS-1. So no drill pay throughout MS-1? Am I right or wrong?
you get drill pay every day you show up as ordered regardless of BOLC....you get the stipend regardless of BOLC once they finally get their paperwork processed........all BOLC does is clear you to promote to 1LT during school (you'll go to CPT at graduation either way) and make you eligible for some version of the gibill

you get drill pay every day you show up as ordered regardless of BOLC....you get the stipend regardless of BOLC once they finally get their paperwork processed........all BOLC does is clear you to promote to 1LT during school (you'll go to CPT at graduation either way) and make you eligible for some version of the gibill

Interesting. What is your rank before BOLC?

You will have drilling obligations during school. If you don't drill you will be a non-participant and probably kicked out.

You basically have 2 options when joining the Army:
1. Work with an Army Reserve medical recruiter and get attached to the APMC unit in Georgia. The APMC has you submit a monthly 1380 form for drill pay. You will not drill with a unit and will submit credit for school work (lectures). If you're lucky like me, this will continue into residency and you will still not drill with a unit and will continue to submit monthly 1380 forms for drill pay for education activities with your residency program. The APMC requires you to attend an orientation at the unit for 3-4 days within a few months of being attached. Your BOLC obligation will have to be completed within 3 years after you finish your program.

2. Join the Army from the National Guard. You will have to show up for drill monthly or every other month throughout medical school and residency. sb247 has been talking about NG MDSSP drilling requirements.

Also, you might consider just doing MDSSP for 3 years. It will still pay about 1/2 of your medical school and you will have 2 less years of contract time. Glad to see that you want to join the military even though you know its not always glamorous.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies. @DMBandFan86, I suspect it's the first scenario that I'm getting myself into. My recruiter mentioned a "ghost" unit in Georgia that I would be attached to. I wonder if I can ship to the unit for the first 3-4 days this summer or if I have to wait for a long time because it's a long process.

That just about covers all my questions. Thanks to all of you for helping make this a more informed process.

Does anyone know how prior commissioned service works if you go into MDSSP? Are you locked as a 2LT regardless? Does Saved Pay (ala USUHS and HPSP) apply here as well?

Does anyone know how prior commissioned service works if you go into MDSSP? Are you locked as a 2LT regardless? Does Saved Pay (ala USUHS and HPSP) apply here as well?

I specifically did not take the MDSSP because I was BZ for MAJ when I joined the Guard. Was told I would lose half time in grade (almost six years as CPT) and most likely would be "stuck" as a 1LT at best...or damn, as a shaved tail Louie!

I also would lose flight orders, flight pay, and obviously IDT pay as a "senior" CPT or fresh MAJ.

I still drill as my previous AD AOC (67J) and attend medical school. It's been working thus far and the pay ain't bad!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I specifically did not take the MDSSP because I was BZ for MAJ when I joined the Guard. Was told I would lose half time in grade (almost six years as CPT) and most likely would be "stuck" as a 1LT at best...or damn, as a shaved tail Louie!

I also would lose flight orders, flight pay, and obviously IDT pay as a "senior" CPT or fresh MAJ.

I still drill as my previous AD AOC (67J) and attend medical school. It's been working thus far and the pay ain't bad!

I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it, too. Ah well.

I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it, too. Ah well.

I love the AMEDD. The funniest thing about it is that I'm already branch qualified AMEDD since we are not part of AV branch. We are MS officers, just like the Bravos, Kilos, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I love the AMEDD. The funniest thing about it is that I'm already branch qualified AMEDD since we are not part of AV branch. We are MS officers, just like the Bravos, Kilos, etc.

I'm looking forward to the move to AMEDD, although as basic branch choices go I'm fairly content with my current one. All things considered, I'd take a hit on IDT pay, but the overall compensation per month is much better once stipend is added in. The caveat, of course, is that I'm pretty much obligated until almost hitting MRD if I do STRAP along with it. At this point, I actually don't mind doing so, all things considered.