Army Army Reserves MDSSP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidey066

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to start MDSSP in the Army Reserves and wanted to hear from those physicians who are currently in the Reserves. My recruiter informed me that the way deployment works is that as a physician you are attached to a unit that is involved in a 5 year cycle. For 3 years of that cycle you are "not up" for deployment (as other units are on different cycles of deployment and would be called up first) and for 2 years you are eligible to be deployed. Deployment can only be a max of 3 months long (you can voluntarily stay for longer if you want) but they cannot make you stay for more than three months. Also once you come back from deployment you cannot be deployed again for another 3 years (since you are a physician with civilian responsibilities). Assuming what I've been told is correct, is it safe to say that if you owe back 7 years of payback after residency that you cannot be deployed more than twice?

Also I've been told that currently HRLRP has been taken off the table for those who are enrolled in STRAP for residency. But that there's been a motion made to reinstate it so that HRLRP and STRAP can be done at the same time for those who previously did MDSSP. Does anyone know how likely the chances are of it being reinstated? Being able to do HRLRP while doing STRAP was playing a big factor on deciding whether I should do MDSSP or not. Thanks in advance for the help.

For reference my plan was to do MDSSP for 2.5 years and then do STRAP for 2 years during residency (hopefully while being able to do HRLRP at the same time) . So I would be looking at a 7 year payback in total after residency. I'm leaning towards doing EM for residency, maybe surgery but leaning towards EM. If I decide against doing MDSSP for now my other plan was just to do HRLRP right after residency for a year to year contract in order to get 40k paid towards student loans each year.

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter informed me that the way deployment works is that as a physician you are attached to a unit that is involved in a 5 year cycle. For 3 years of that cycle you are "not up" for deployment (as other units are on different cycles of deployment and would be called up first) and for 2 years you are eligible to be deployed.
Don't know about the 2 year thing after signing up. I've heard that rumor for folks switching from active to reserve, but not new accessions. It would be moot for you, since you'd have your first years under MDSSP and not eligible for deployment while a medical student and resident anyway.

The 3 year cycle is incorrect. While that may be the op tempo for a particular unit, as a physician, you can always be an individual augment and be sent over as a resource to backfill in another unit. This happens frequently. Someone I just did a training with was doing just that. And with the Army Reserve, that means you back fill at places like Fort Hood or the like.
Deployment can only be a max of 3 months long (you can voluntarily stay for longer if you want) but they cannot make you stay for more than three months.
90 days boots on ground, but it can be up to 120 days with pre and post mobilization responsibilities (away from home).
Also once you come back from deployment you cannot be deployed again for another 3 years (since you are a physician with civilian responsibilities).
Most physicians aren't going to be deployed more frequently than q3 years, but that's because of need, not because of "civilian responsibilities" as a physician. "Civilian responsibilities" are not limited to physicians, and god knows the trigger pullers were deploying more than every 3 years.

When your recruiter tells you things like this, ask for the regulations. And if they don't have them, it's because they don't exist. And keep in mind that if he shows you policy, that can be changed with the stroke of a pen. Folks used to pay back MDSSP obligation while in residency (not starting after residency). That was policy. And it changed. So will deployment tempo and possibly (though less likely) the 90 day boots on ground policy.
Assuming what I've been told is correct, is it safe to say that if you owe back 7 years of payback after residency that you cannot be deployed more than twice?
I would not assume what you were told is correct until you get the regulations. And I would definitely not say that this is "safe." It's pretty likely, but if you need to definitely be limited to 2 deployments over 7 years, I personally wouldn't sign up. It's a risk you'll deploy more often, particularly now that the break-the-glass threshold for deploying Reserve Corps is lower.

Also I've been told that currently HRLRP has been taken off the table for those who are enrolled in STRAP for residency. But that there's been a motion made to reinstate it so that HRLRP and STRAP can be done at the same time for those who previously did MDSSP. Does anyone know how likely the chances are of it being reinstated? Being able to do HRLRP while doing STRAP was playing a big factor on deciding whether I should do MDSSP or not. Thanks in advance for the help.
Highly unlikely. They are reducing incentives lately, not increasing them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, As I interpreted the reg/policy I read a few weeks ago the 90day boots on ground only applies at battalion surgeon and below. If you take a higher leadership role (brigade etc) you are not protected for limited deployments

Again, that was how I read it, no I can’t remember the reg/policy number, and always remember the .mil can change the rules

I believe this was recently changed so you now can get HPLRP with MDSSP or STRAP during residency. They have changed this multiple times.

For reference my plan was to do MDSSP for 2.5 years and then do STRAP for 2 years during residency (hopefully while being able to do HRLRP at the same time)

Can you take 1/2 year increments for MDSSP? If you take STRAP after MDSSP can you choose how many years you take or is it for the entirety of residency?

I believe this was recently changed so you now can get HPLRP with MDSSP or STRAP during residency. They have changed this multiple times.

For reference my plan was to do MDSSP for 2.5 years and then do STRAP for 2 years during residency (hopefully while being able to do HRLRP at the same time)

Can you take 1/2 year increments for MDSSP? If you take STRAP after MDSSP can you choose how many years you take or is it for the entirety of residency?

HPLRP and STRAP was never taken off the table, they did pass a rule that you had to attend BOLC before getting paid student loans. That rule was just taken out last week so now you can apply for both and get both at the same time. It changes all the time though. You can do 1/2 increments for HPSP. It is one year for every six months, however if you go 1 day over the 6 month it adds a year of commitment so make sure you sign your contract correctly. For instance if you sign your contract for 12 months 1 day you owe 3 years.

Army health- Can you post the policy doc on this?

It used to be that you could take HPLRP and STRAP concurrently in PGY-3 and beyond if you were in a critical specialty. Is this the policy that is in place?

I question if when people say you can take HPLRP and STRAP they mean this. And if so, it’s important to point out that this may help during residency, but you can not take HPLRP while you are in the payback portion fo the drilling years owed for MDSSP and/or STRAP, which for something like a 3 year residency can mean that you can’t take HPLRP again for 10 years after you finish residency. Or has this changed?

Last edited:
Army health- Can you post the policy doc on this?

It used to be that you could take HPLRP and STRAP concurrently in PGY-3 and beyond if you were in a critical specialty. Is this the policy that is in place?

I question if when people say you can take HPLRP and STRAP they mean this. And if so, it’s important to point out that this may help during residency, but you can not take HPLRP while you are in the payback portion fo the drilling years owed for MDSSP and/or STRAP, which for something like a 3 year residency can mean that you can’t take STRAP again for 10 years after you finish residency. Or has this changed?
I think you mean the hplrp gets delayed at the end and noot strap

You are correct. Just changed my post for clarity, thanks bud...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a couple more questions. Let’s say I sign up for MDSSP for only years 3 and 4 of medical school (incurring a 4 year obligation). Now lets say after medical school I match into a 3 year EM residency. Would it be possible just to take out STRAP/HRLRP for the last year of residency? If so, since I'm taking out STRAP after doing MDSSP my obligation from MDSSP would go from a 2:1 to a 1:1 ratio, meaning I would owe only 2 years instead of 4 correct? So my total would be 2 from MDSSP and another 2 from the one year of STRAP for a total of 4 years payback after residency. Just wanted to check if my logic is correct on that.

Also I read online that while in school with MDSSP you can receive extra drill pay (other than the $2000 monthly stipend) simply just by going to class and filling out forms called 1380s and sending them in to your training manager. Can someone comment on the accuracy of this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a couple more questions. Let’s say I sign up for MDSSP for only years 3 and 4 of medical school (incurring a 4 year obligation). Now lets say after medical school I match into a 3 year EM residency. Would it be possible just to take out STRAP/HRLRP for the last year of residency? If so, since I'm taking out STRAP after doing MDSSP my obligation from MDSSP would go from a 2:1 to a 1:1 ratio, meaning I would owe only 2 years instead of 4 correct? So my total would be 2 from MDSSP and another 2 from the one year of STRAP for a total of 4 years payback after residency. Just wanted to check if my logic is correct on that.

Also I read online that while in school with MDSSP you can receive extra drill pay (other than the $2000 monthly stipend) simply just by going to class and filling out forms called 1380s and sending them in to your training manager. Can someone comment on the accuracy of this? Thanks in advance.
I have no idea on the first question.

Some national guard states make you actually show up for drill to get your drill pay

If you join the AR you will be required to turn in 1380's during medical school as well. If you don't, you will have a bad year and you will also miss out on all the drill pay. You can't get out of drilling. NG you will have to show up to drill.

If you join the AR you will be required to turn in 1380's during medical school as well. If you don't, you will have a bad year and you will also miss out on all the drill pay. You can't get out of drilling. NG you will have to show up to drill.

Is the drill pay I'll be receiving by turning in 1380's separate from the $2000 monthly stipend that I'll be getting from being enrolled in MDSSP? Or are you saying that I need to turn in 1380's in order to keep receiving the $2000 stipend every month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the drill pay I'll be receiving by turning in 1380's separate from the $2000 monthly stipend that I'll be getting from being enrolled in MDSSP? Or are you saying that I need to turn in 1380's in order to keep receiving the $2000 stipend every month?
Drill is seperate from stipends

Thats right, if you join the reserves, soon you will be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

No, but you will get an extra 400-500 per month on top of your stipend payment depending on your rank and debits. You will also get a small initial uniform allowance that you will need to apply for from your unit (likely no-one will tell you about it) which will help because it costs quite a bit up front to buy everything.

Last edited:
Thats right, if you join the reserves, soon you will be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

No, but you will get an extra 400-500 per month on top of your stipend payment depending on your rank and debits. You will also get a small initial uniform allowance that you will need to apply for from your unit (likely no-one will tell you about it) which will help because it costs quite a bit up front to buy everything.
Officers in the guard don’t get the uniform allowance until bolc. Go to an army surplus store and buy used camos/boots. One set will suffice for drill and you can be done under $100

Does anyone know the exact eligibility requirements for the MDSSP?

Does anyone know the exact eligibility requirements for the MDSSP?
Med school acceptance, can pass physical entry requirements to army or get a waiver for whatever conditions that don’t meet requirements

little more than just that. If you are interested, I would contact an AMEDD recruiter and look through the application process.

Med school acceptance, can pass physical entry requirements to army or get a waiver for whatever conditions that don’t meet requirements

So no gpa, mcat, or letters of recommendation are required?

Hello I am new to this forum and have a question regarding "When to start the application process for a military scholarship or even the reserve MDSSP one". An Air Force Recruiter told me to contact him as soon as I am officially accepted into a medical school.

So my question is: Is that exactly what I do or is there a way I can start the application process or papework prior in order to hit the ground running once accepted? (Sorry if this question relates to another thread in the forum).

Hello I am new to this forum and have a question regarding "When to start the application process for a military scholarship or even the reserve MDSSP one". An Air Force Recruiter told me to contact him as soon as I am officially accepted into a medical school.

So my question is: Is that exactly what I do or is there a way I can start the application process or papework prior in order to hit the ground running once accepted? (Sorry if this question relates to another thread in the forum).
After you get accepted

We actually prefer you to contact as you start applying for school. The process takes some time so we can get your packet 100% ready for MDSSP or HPSP and as soon as you get that first letter of acceptance we can send up your packet. Now this info is for the army. Not sure what the air force or navy prefers.

We actually prefer you to contact as you start applying for school. The process takes some time so we can get your packet 100% ready for MDSSP or HPSP and as soon as you get that first letter of acceptance we can send up your packet. Now this info is for the army. Not sure what the air force or navy prefers.
Thank You.

Drill requirements for NG are 1x quarterly. You can choose to do the 1380's which helps toward having a good year and will get you an extra ~$400-500 a month.

Drill requirements for NG are 1x quarterly. You can choose to do the 1380's which helps toward having a good year and will get you an extra ~$400-500 a month.
Unfortunately not the case in every state, some states have a strict show up or no pay/points policy

This is incorrect. The Flexi-Training policy (which used to be quarterly) is now every-other-month minimum. And as sb247 mentioned, the 1380's-for-nothing thing is very state dependent.

Basically, the larger the state or the larger the state Guard, particularly one that actively deploys, you'll find less of the money-for-nothing type thing.