Army Reserves to Navy Reserves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if it's possible for an Army Reserve doc to transfer to the Navy Reserve? Would you keep all of your benefits? Would your time count towards the next promotion in the navy? Or should I stick it out with the Army Reserve?

The reason is I'm tired of driving all the way to the army base, while there is a navy nearby. It's much more convenient for me to go there instead of the army base. Doing this month after month is tiresome and if I plan to do the 20yrs, I'd want something closer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if it's possible for an Army Reserve doc to transfer to the Navy Reserve? Would you keep all of your benefits? Would your time count towards the next promotion in the navy? Or should I stick it out with the Army Reserve?

The reason is I'm tired of driving all the way to the army base, while there is a navy nearby. It's much more convenient for me to go there instead of the army base. Doing this month after month is tiresome and if I plan to do the 20yrs, I'd want something closer.

Any advice is much appreciated.
How much longer is your service obligation to the Army Reserves? Will the Army Reserves release you with an existing service obligation? Have you received any benefits? If you don't have any service obligation left it will be easy. You would have to submit a DD368. https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/forms/dd/dd0368.pdf

How far is the drive to drill?
You might be able to be attached to APMC and could drill with the Navy while still in the Army.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just started this year, so I have not received any benefits (eg. LRP) but I hope to put the 20yrs in for a pension. My army base is 4 hours drive. There is a navy base that's about 1.5hrs away.

If you just started, you have most of your initial 6 year active drilling obligation. It's going to be up to your leadership to decide if they want to conditionally release you early. If you've taken any bonuses or other incentives, it's unlikely they will release you early as the Army will want what it paid for. If you're not under any incentive obligations, they may consider it but APMC might be a path of less resistance.

This all also assume the Navy needs and wants you in the nearby unit.

APMC is gonna be your best answer. It sounds like your recruiter did you disservice by not working on that on the very front end. I would contact him or her first