Army specialty pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s42brown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that we won't get our specialty pay( i.e. ortho is like 32,000) until after we have completed our residency. However, I was talking to someone the other day that was under the impression that we start receiving our specialty pay after our intern year. Which is true?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by s42brown
It was my understanding that we won't get our specialty pay( i.e. ortho is like 32,000) until after we have completed our residency. However, I was talking to someone the other day that was under the impression that we start receiving our specialty pay after our intern year. Which is true?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

You don't receive specialty pay until after completing your residency.

I'm looking forward to the $28,000 for ophthalmology.

It'll be sweet if I get approval from GMESB to do fellowship during active duty. The Navy currently sends ophthalmologists to civilian fellowship training programs.

Thats what I thought. You bring up another question, if a doc does a civilian fellowship after a military residency does that count toward your years of service ( orth=5years +1year spine fellow---->six years of service and promotions)?:clap: :clap:

Time spent at a civilian facility for training does not count for "Time in Service."

It does, however, count for "Creditable Service." This is the amount of time since you graduated from medical school and is the basis for promotion within the military medical community. Once you have been out of medical school for 6 years, you will be promoted to O-4 (Major or Lt. Commander in the Navy). Unless you've really screwed something up, this is basically automatic at the 6 year mark.