Army Surgery. Incite PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hadouken

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I'm a 3rd year medical student right now and I have fallen in love with my surgery rotation. I know that they offer 4-5 slots at the 6 major Army hospitals around the country. Although I am not sure about surgery, I feel this is where I'm leaning towards. I'm wondering about my chances of matching in surgery. I have a very mediocre boards score however I have good LOR's and a good work attitude.

1. Can anyone give me some insight on things such as competitiveness of surgery in the army?

2. Are there any requirements or certain things I can do that will better my chances of matching into surgery?

3. Is their a website or place I can find more information about matching in the military? Seems there are lots of information about there about the civlian match but nada for military. I need statistics such as what fills, how many, gender.

I feel knowing the in's/out's of the competitiveness will greatly influence what I will go into. Thanks for your time and apologies for all the questions.

had

P.S. What are some of the better hospitals for surgery out of the main 5 (don't count Walter Reed please a little too hardcore for me)

Members don't see this ad.

Good stuff Deegs.

Had, your doing yourself a disservice by not wanting to go to WRAMC. Within 5 miles there is NNMC, NIH, AFRRI, NMRC, WRAIR, AFIP not to mention Georgetown, American, George Washington, Howard....list goes on and on. For trauma surgery experience NO place beats DC. Best to get in here before DC changes...not alot of white on white crime among professionals.

The other places I mentioned are research places. Not sure if you're interested in getting into a little bit, little bit, of research but it's there. The NIH also has a slew of physicians who work there not many surgeons but enough.

By the charts that Deegs posted it looks like things are on the upswing but I'd be interested in what 2005 will show. Notice that the competitiveness decreases as the number of applicants decreases as well... :idea: In other words you never know how competitive things will be unless you know how many are applying...so why worry?