Arranging Rotations (How is it done?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hello,

This is something I've been wondering for awhile. During the 3rd and 4th years everyone talks about how they can arrange their own rotations in other states in other hospitals. Well how does that work? Do you have to get permission from the places that you want to rotate at way in advance? Do they welcome anyone? A description of what is involved would be super cool.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, your school will organize the core rotations of your 3rd year. Most of the 4th year is up to you...where-ever you wish to go. Though some of the freedom depends upon your school, you are typically free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply,

Okay we've established that you can set up your own rotations in your fourth year, and maybe even some electives in the third year. From what I hear it depends on the school.

So now I ask... What is involved in setting up your own rotations. Surely you don't just look in the phone book, pick some groovy hospital, and show up on Monday morning and say you are ready to rotate.

So what sort of application process is there for being able to rotate in a certain place for a certain rotation? Is it difficult to arrange? Is there people who help arrange these sorts of things?

And... NurseyK... I'm doing well. I'm *STILL* not in medical school, but that is a story unto itself. How are you?

Originally posted by Freeeedom!:
•Usually, your school will organize the core rotations of your 3rd year. Most of the 4th year is up to you...where-ever you wish to go. Though some of the freedom depends upon your school, you are typically free.•••

Sometimes, you DO call the Med-ed department of the hospital, it may be just that easy. Other times, you may wish to call the university affiliated with that hospital. Typically, the internet is the easiest way to go about this. You go to the programs web page and call the number that is listed.
Honestly it isn't difficult. And, for someone not in med school yet, it may be something you shouldn't quite worry about. Regardless, I hope you make it to that point.

Wow...I didn't mean any of that in that way. I am sorry you took it like that. I just wanted to say that getting a hold of rotation offices change all the time and what may have been true for me last year, may not be true for your case in 3,4,5 years from now.

Honestly, I didn't mean it like you stated, it was an honest miscommunication.
But you will get no further help from me.

Err.. I have to say that response by Wish was somewhat uncalled for. I thought it was an honest miscommunication.. one of the unfortunate drawbacks of communicating over the internet is that "tones" can't always be accurately relayed.

I thought Freedom's statement regarding not worrying how to set up rotations in the present time was legitimate in a sense. Of course, you could use the methods in which a school allows students to set up rotations as a way to possibly distinguish between schools you're interested in so I see that being a good reason to learn about the process in addition to it just being good information to know ahead of time.

That being said, I hope you eventually clear up all the details on learning how rotations work. I certainly don't know all the details, but as a first year student, I have more pressing things on my mind like finals. :D Please try to remember this is all free unwarranted advice given to help others. Thanks!

Freeedom,

I'm sorry to be a bit snippy. That really was a bit out of character for me. I feel bad that I blew up at you.

I've been a bit stressed lately with some sick family members. My personal life should not be a reflection of the way I present myself to others. I was having a bad day, but it doesn't justify being rude.

Accept my apology? I deleted the offensive post.

Everyone is allowed bad days. Your apology is accepted, and I wish you good luck in your career.

Melancholy,

You are right about the e-mails, message boards and their lack of tone. Maybe that is why we have the Instant Graemlins. ;) :D :D

Yeah.. didn't you know that's why I like to put smilies in once in awhile to let people know no harm is intended? :eek: :eek: gee this is kinda fun :cool: :( :)

Wish - I hope everything works out for you in the end and you learn a great deal about the rotations procedure. I should probably figure it out sooner or later too.. heh heh.