Arrested/Criminal Background Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This incident happened this past weekend. I was going from my home to a different state to meet up with a friend. While on the way, I was stopped by a cop for unsafe lane change (I was in the cash lane and did not pay attention to the dashed vs. straight line before changing lane to EZ pass). I stopped by the side of the highway and got my registration from my glovebox while leaving the glovebox open. He approached from the passenger side and I gave him an envelope with my license and registration. He asked me to take it out of the envelope and while was taking it out, his eyes went to the glove box and he took out a used marijuana paraphernalia which did not belong to me and was not aware was in there (it must've been at the bottom as I didn't see it when I took out my registration). I immediately rejected that it was mine and was willing to go through any drug tests. However, he did not care and charged/arrested me with possession of paraphernalia and suspected marijuana (there was nothing in there, but was used). It was by far the scariest incident that I have been through (it was the first time even being stopped by a cop ever). I contacted everyone who I have given rides to/ gave my car to and the person who it belongs to, is taking ownership of the paraphernalia. After talking to my attorney, he said that the ownership definitely will help to hopefully drop everything, but is not definite. No matter what, the charges/ arrest will be expunged but I told him this matter is extremely time sensitive. This is because I am currently in the application cycle and have been waitlisted at my four MD schools post-interview. Everyone that I have asked told me to wait to see if I'm accepted off of a waitlist before letting medical schools know. After a lot of research, I saw that waitlisted applicants can be asked for background checks after May 15th. Does anyone know more about this? What if some schools pull students off the waitlist in June? I don't want this unfortunate incident where I'm innocent to affect my chances of being pulled off the waitlist! Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's pretty careless that you are that unaware of what people are leaving in your car. It's hard to buy. But with a good and expensive lawyer I bet you'll get off.

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty careless that you are that unaware of what people are leaving in your car. It's hard to buy. But with a good and expensive lawyer I bet you'll get off.
It was in my glovebox which I never check or put anything in. I hope I don't get punished for being unaware. I'm more worried about the timeline of the criminal background check. Do all schools ask a criminal background check from their waitlisted students on May 15th? or only they're thinking about accepting? What if they are pulling someone off in June? In that case, do they ask for criminal background check in June? I feel like if I'm given a chance to explain after an acceptance, the offer might not be rescinded for a crime I did not commit and when someone took ownership of it. I don't know but this has been extremely terrifying

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This sucks!! I feel for you. It takes usually a couple months to a year in my experience to get things expunged... I'm not sure what the right answer is but I feel like you should get ahead of the situation and let those schools know?

This sucks!! I feel for you. It takes usually a couple months to a year in my experience to get things expunged... I'm not sure what the right answer is but I feel like you should get ahead of the situation and let those schools know?
I've thought about this but why would they pull someone off of the waitlist who could have an issue, even if I'm innocent, when they have people with none. I have been wondering why this happened to me because I don't even smoke!@@@ The biggest fault was that I was friends with some people who does, but who am I to judge?

Last edited:
If you get accepted, you will have to notify the school eventually about this arrest. The best thing to do now is to start writing an EXTREMELY well-written letter incase you will need to notify a school. Make sure you include what happened, how you learned from it, and how you are still 100000% about becoming a doctor. Find people to proof-read it and edit it so if you need to send it, it is PERFECT. No guarantee this will prevent schools from rescinding your acceptance, but at least you can say that you tried your best. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
If you get accepted, you will have to notify the school eventually about this arrest. The best thing to do now is to start writing an EXTREMELY well-written letter incase you will need to notify a school. Make sure you include what happened, how you learned from it, and how you are still 100000% about becoming a doctor. Find people to proof-read it and edit it so if you need to send it, it is PERFECT. No guarantee this will prevent schools from rescinding your acceptance, but at least you can say that you tried your best. Good luck!
Before this, I was bearing the weight of all these waitlists, but now I'm afraid what might happen if I'm accepted :(

Expungement may be by state but I know in my state (OH) you had to wait a minimum of 1 year from conviction date to apply for expungement, and then I think this took a couple weeks

I've thought about this but why would they pull someone off of the waitlist who could have an issue, even if I'm innocent, when they have people with none. I have been wondering why this happened to me because I don't even smoke!@@@ The biggest fault was that I was friends with some people who does, but who am I to judge?
While I empathize with you for getting into trouble for something that didn't even belong to you, part of being an adult and a professional is that you will be judged by the company you keep, and you're likely to be held responsible for anything illegal in a car you're driving regardless of whether or not it belongs to you. Hopefully this won't ruin your chances of going to medical school in the near future, but you will almost definitely have to disclose this unless it gets thrown away altogether. Your best bet is to wait until you are accepted and explain the situation then. Good luck!

I really hope this doesn't stop you from getting accepted. I know so many meds students who do weed every once in a while. Only difference is they don't get caught.

Reactions: 1 user
While I empathize with you for getting into trouble for something that didn't even belong to you, part of being an adult and a professional is that you will be judged by the company you keep, and you're likely to be held responsible for anything illegal in a car you're driving regardless of whether or not it belongs to you. Hopefully this won't ruin your chances of going to medical school in the near future, but you will almost definitely have to disclose this unless it gets thrown away altogether. Your best bet is to wait until you are accepted and explain the situation then. Good luck!
I understand what you are saying, but I've been friends with this person since 9th grade and I couldn't stop being their friend because they decided to pick something up that certainly does not define themselves completely as an individual or as a friend to me. My question was regarding the specific May 15th alleged date when they ask waitlist students. I know I need to disclose this information but I was wondering if the schools that ask for this report do it after they pull people off the waitlist. For instance, if someone is getting pulled off in June, will they have to provide the report on May 15th as well or in June after they're accepted

Before this, I was bearing the weight of all these waitlists, but now I'm afraid what might happen if I'm accepted :(
Chill out. If you're accepted you will notify the school by emailing the ADCOMs the story about your arrest. I would start writing it soon. Think of it as a tertiary application for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're accepted off the waitlist you'll likely get the background check request sooner than May 15th. In completing the background check they make clear that you only answer YES if you have a conviction that has not been expunged. Being arrested and having the charges are dropped or being found "not guilty" don't count --part of the whole "innocent until proven guilty" concept.

I haven't looked back at what AAMC had us sign with regards to reporting pending charges. They probably say to report immediately but if they don't/only want convictions, I'd say hold off on telling the schools for now and try to get those charges dropped. If charges are dropped, it never happened.

What terrible luck. I hope you have better luck moving forward.

Last edited:
If you're accepted off the waitlist you'll likely get the background check request sooner than May 15th. In completing the background check they make clear that you only answer YES if you have a conviction that has not been expunged. Being arrested and having the charges are dropped or being found "not guilty" don't count --part of the whole "innocent until proven guilty" concept.

I haven't looked back at what AAMC had us sign with regards to reporting pending charges. They probably say to report immediately but if they don't/only want convictions, I'd say hold off on telling the schools for now and try to get those charges dropped. If charges are dropped, it never happened.

What terrible luck. I hope you have better luck moving forward.
Thank you very much! I called AAMC today and they read me something about ten business days to let schools know if you are convicted, they didn't say anything about charges or arrests. The person on the other side of the line was not very helpful or empathetic. This has been a rough couple of days

All for something that's outright legal in 4 states, legal with restrictions in over half the country, and something that more than 50% of Americans admit to having done themselves. Including our past 3 presidents. Sorry this happened to you. The only thing I'd add is that sometimes it can take quite a while for that paperwork to go through. I had something similar happen to me and I didn't hear from the courts until nearly a year after the case. Not sure if that delay in proceedings meant that I would have had a clean background during that year long waiting period. As long as you're not obligated by amcas to report right away, I'd also hold off on telling schools until they pull you from the waitlist.

Perhaps one of the schools you're waiting on is in WA, OR, CO, or DC! Good luck.

All for something that's outright legal in 4 states, legal with restrictions in over half the country, and something that more than 50% of Americans admit to having done themselves. Including our past 3 presidents. Sorry this happened to you. The only thing I'd add is that sometimes it can take quite a while for that paperwork to go through. I had something similar happen to me and I didn't hear from the courts until nearly a year after the case. Not sure if that delay in proceedings meant that I would have had a clean background during that year long waiting period. As long as you're not obligated by amcas to report right away, I'd also hold off on telling schools until they pull you from the waitlist.

Perhaps one of the schools you're waiting on is in WA, OR, CO, or DC! Good luck.

Alaska is now on that list!

Check each schools policy - do they want to be notified of convictions or pending charges as well?

If people are leaving stuff like that in your car, you should get some new friends. Not because "drugs are bad mmkay," but because they obviously have no regard for your future

Lol telling OP to get new friends is not helping him right now. Save the lecture, the person already knows that hi friends effed him over. Also...all you people who say he needs to get better friends...you're telling me all your friends are pristine clean that they don't smoke weed/have drank underage/done something questionable? A person who smokes marijuana is not a "bad person" by any means. Many of my friends, and many of my friends in medical school smoke marijuana, but they aren't bad people or act as though do not have any regard for my future. It was an honest mistake that somebody more than likely forgot and accidentally left that object there. Hell the person who did it according to OP even is willing to own up to it. I think that shows that his friend has regard for his future and is a good human being

Reactions: 5 users
...and something that more than 50% of Americans admit to having done themselves...

While I don't necessarily disagree with the bulk of your post, nobody has done such a wide scale survey from which you could claim greater than 50% of Americans admit to anything. This is at best someone's guess, at worst a made up statistic.

...A person who smokes marijuana is not a "bad person" by any means...
First, someone who hides drug paraphernalia in someone else's car might be a bad person-- we don't know enough of the story. Second, if it's in the car that may suggest they were getting high while behind the wheel, so they may be a bad (or at least reckless) person for that reason. Defending unknown people just because they (also) use drugs might not be the right bias.

Reactions: 3 users
All for something that's outright legal in 4 states, legal with restrictions in over half the country, and something that more than 50% of Americans admit to having done themselves. .

According to the government, most recent epi studies show that 23% us marijuana between the age of 18-20, and the same number follows for the age group of 21-25.

First, someone who hides drug paraphernalia in someone else's car might be a bad person-- we don't know enough of the story. Second, if it's in the car that may suggest they were getting high while behind the wheel, so they may be a bad (or at least reckless) person for that reason. Defending unknown people just because they (also) use drugs might not be the right bias.

I agree to an extent. You're assuming this person is hiding drug paraphenilia in his car which maybe an erroneous assumption. Saying that they are "hiding" it implies they intentionally performed this action.

Also, we are innocent until proven guilty. Just because somebody has drug paraphenelia in the car does not imply that they are driving impaired or recklessly at that moment in time. I do not think it's our right to completely bash unknown people and OP because of this incident.

OP how many schools are you WLed at? Call those schools anonymously and ask 1) what they want done if new charges appear on your record and/or 2) when do they do Background Checks for WLers. Nobody here can answers those questions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I agree to an extent. You're assuming this person is hiding drug paraphenilia in his car which maybe an erroneous assumption. Saying that they are "hiding" it implies they intentionally performed this action.

Also, we are innocent until proven guilty. Just because somebody has drug paraphenelia in the car does not imply that they are driving impaired or recklessly at that moment in time. I do not think it's our right to completely bash unknown people and OP because of this incident.
They are "not guilty" until proven guilty ("innocent until proven guilty" is colloquialism and not actually part of our laws) but can certainly still be a "bad person" even if never brought up on charges. I think you realize that quite a few people who get off after being arrested are, in fact, very bad people. And the fact that OP is in the hot seat now means someone is being punished for these actions so effectively there's some punishable guilt associated here, just maybe not attributed to the right person (and if so, not coming forward and trying to accept blame again makes such a person a bad person)

And yes it's not an unreasonable inference to think that someone who left drug paraphernalia in a car may have used it while operating the vehicle. In many states there are similar inferences when you have an open container of alcohol.

The bias in this scenario should be against the person who got OP in trouble.We can think that person a bad person. We just can't send them to jail without proving it.

Damn man. I'm so sorry. A very similar thing happened to me. I bought a used car and the previous owner had pot hidden in a secret compartment behind the glove box. Cop found it, but luckily let me off without writing it up. Your guy sounds like a huge ass.

Let your lawyer do the best he can, he'll be able to help way more than we could

Bring your friend with you to court and ask them to tell the judge the paraphernalia was theirs. It would be tough to convict you for something another person is standing there admitting was his.

Reactions: 4 users

I'm all for people doing what they want with their lives and legalization. That being said - having paraphernalia in a car is not okay in my eyes at all and I can see why a cop would bust you without question. I would want anyone busted with a bottle of liquor or beers in the car if it is in plain view of a cop under any circumstances, even if the bottle was empty.

Edit: Check out this article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26891425). I'm not sure about the amount of carryover this data has in the US, but would be interesting if the method was replicated here in a few cities.

Last edited:
I'm all for people doing what they want with their lives and legalization. That being said - having paraphernalia in a car is not okay in my eyes at all and I can see why a cop would bust you without question. I would want anyone busted with a bottle of liquor or beers in the car if it is in plain view of a cop under any circumstances, even if the bottle was empty.

Empty liquor bottles actually aren't illegal, nor is paraphernalia if done right. I was once pulled over with an empty vodka bottle in my mess of a backseat and a used pipe. Lo and behold, there was no marijuana to implicate me or my cohorts - I had smoked it all, driving earlier that night. The pipe was a wooden one, clearly intended for tobacco. Since the officer had breached consent to get in my vehicle and prove nothing, he let me off. I was lucky enough that the friend I had just dropped off had thought to take his opened booze and his pot with him or I would've been busted for sure.

OP, if your drug-using friends are being careful (as any guest should be in someone else's home or car) you shouldn't run into situations like this. I'm not going to tell you to drop them, but if I were them I'd expect to be paying my dues for a little while.

Thank you everyone! To clear up any doubt, they were NOT using it in my car and did not leave it in the glovebox to purposely get me in trouble. He's willing to write to the court and take ownership. I didn't post here to be judged (even though my friend who told me to post here said there is a high chance that I will be, regardless of the situation because everyone is faultless online and might not sympathize). I posted here to hopefully get more information on those dates and if I might have to disclose it sooner than I thought. I truly appreciate everyone who has provided me with some valid information.

Good news your friend is taking ownership... I have friends who do the same thing and if they put me in the situation that you are in I would hope to god they would own up to it... I hope it gets cleared up for you but make this a learning moment and be much more careful and aware!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

While I don't necessarily disagree with the bulk of your post, nobody has done such a wide scale survey from which you could claim greater than 50% of Americans admit to anything. This is at best someone's guess, at worst a made up statistic.

So i looked and you're right, the latest studies range between 44% and 49%. I think the point remains the same.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/184298/four-americans-say-tried-marijuana.aspx
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/6-facts-about-marijuana/
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...adults-say-theyve-tried-pot-but-not-recently/

Edit: Check out this article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26891425). I'm not sure about the amount of carryover this data has in the US, but would be interesting if the method was replicated here in a few cities.

I don't understand...you don't think it's appropriate to have liquor or beer in your car? How do you propose one gets it home from the store? Or is it only acceptable to walk your liquor home? Or perhaps public transportation? But then liquor would be on a bus...does the bus driver get in trouble then? Further, this isn't even the drug, it's paraphernalia. So that's like saying it's a crime to have shot glass in your car. Or a beer cozy. You must have a rough time moving...Intoxication is the crime and we have ways to test for that.

And your link seems a bit gratuitous. No one said the person was intoxicated so i don't see the relevance. And do you really think that no one in the US has looked at the at the rates of intoxication amongst traffic fatalities?

OP how many schools are you WLed at? Call those schools anonymously and ask 1) what they want done if new charges appear on your record and/or 2) when do they do Background Checks for WLers. Nobody here can answers those questions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I was waitlisted at 4 schools and unfortunately not in those 4 states. I called another school that I have not heard back from and they said they cannot let me talk to the admissions without releasing my AMCAS ID and name (I called anonymously) thus, they were not able to provide any helpful information. I was hoping to hear from some people who have gotten off the waitlist or from some Adcoms on SDN who might have some helpful information

So i looked and you're right, the latest studies range between 44% and 49%. I think the point remains the same.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/184298/four-americans-say-tried-marijuana.aspx
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/6-facts-about-marijuana/
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...adults-say-theyve-tried-pot-but-not-recently/

I don't understand...you don't think it's appropriate to have liquor or beer in your car? How do you propose one gets it home from the store? Or is it only acceptable to walk your liquor home? Or perhaps public transportation? But then liquor would be on a bus...does the bus driver get in trouble then? Further, this isn't even the drug, it's paraphernalia. So that's like saying it's a crime to have shot glass in your car. Or a beer cozy. You must have a rough time moving...Intoxication is the crime and we have ways to test for that.

And your link seems a bit gratuitous. No one said the person was intoxicated so i don't see the relevance. And do you really think that no one in the US has looked at the at the rates of intoxication amongst traffic fatalities?

The exception, of course, is unopened bottles. Do I have to write everything out for people to get it?

God - I am not a square and I love drinking. Use some common sense. Anyone who knows someone who's lost a family member to someone drinking and driving understands. For those in this forum who have, I feel for you.

I am not the police, I am just a premed and a citizen. I want officers to arrest anyone who provides them suspicion of driving while intoxicated with any substance. OP got caught with a used pipe in car. Even if OP did not smoke it, and even if it wasn't OP's pipe, as a citizen I would want the police to still arrest under these circumstances.

If you get off scott free OP - that is totally fine, I'm not here to judge you personally and I am absolutely fine with people smoking, or doing whatever the hell they want. I am just saying that I understand why the cop did what the cop did and I would have the cop do it again if the exact same scenario presented itself again.

The exception, of course, is unopened bottles. Do I have to write everything out for people to get it?

God - I am not a square and I love drinking. Use some common sense. Anyone who knows someone who's lost a family member to someone drinking and driving understands. For those in this forum who have, I feel for you.

I am not the police, I am just a premed and a citizen. I want officers to arrest anyone who provides them suspicion of driving while intoxicated with any substance. OP got caught with a used pipe in car. Even if OP did not smoke it, and even if it wasn't OP's pipe, as a citizen I would want the police to still arrest under these circumstances.

If you get off scott free OP - that is totally fine, I'm not here to judge you personally and I am absolutely fine with people smoking, or doing whatever the hell they want. I am just saying that I understand why the cop did what the cop did and I would have the cop do it again if the exact same scenario presented itself again.

Hmm, your argument reminds me a lot of a broken bong. Leaky, messy, and should probably be tossed out.

You may not think you're a square but you do come off as a square.

Damn man. I'm so sorry. A very similar thing happened to me. I bought a used car and the previous owner had pot hidden in a secret compartment behind the glove box. Cop found it, but luckily let me off without writing it up. Your guy sounds like a huge ass.

Let your lawyer do the best he can, he'll be able to help way more than we could

What was the cop doing behind your glove box?

I don't understand...you don't think it's appropriate to have liquor or beer in your car? How do you propose one gets it home from the store? Or is it only acceptable to walk your liquor home? Or perhaps public transportation? But then liquor would be on a bus...does the bus driver get in trouble then? Further, this isn't even the drug, it's paraphernalia...
In some states having an open container in your car is a crime. Similarly in some states having drug paraphernalia can be a crime or grounds to search the car, particularly if laboratory testing ultimately shows residue. I didn't make up the laws but if you live/travel in a state with such laws, you need to be aware.

Lol telling OP to get new friends is not helping him right now. Save the lecture, the person already knows that hi friends effed him over. Also...all you people who say he needs to get better friends...you're telling me all your friends are pristine clean that they don't smoke weed/have drank underage/done something questionable? A person who smokes marijuana is not a "bad person" by any means. Many of my friends, and many of my friends in medical school smoke marijuana, but they aren't bad people or act as though do not have any regard for my future. It was an honest mistake that somebody more than likely forgot and accidentally left that object there. Hell the person who did it according to OP even is willing to own up to it. I think that shows that his friend has regard for his future and is a good human being

Bro I live in Oregon, don't pull that card on me. There is a difference between someone breaking a law, and someone breaking said law while dragging their friend into it. Leaving paraphernalia in someone else's car just reeks of irresponsibility

I feel for you OP, and I hope this works out okay. But this stood out to me:

I understand what you are saying, but I've been friends with this person since 9th grade and I couldn't stop being their friend because they decided to pick something up that certainly does not define themselves completely as an individual or as a friend to me.

I grew up in one of the most "dangerous" urban areas in the country. I made it out, but I've seen so many people ruin their chances to make a better life for themselves, because of this feeling that they can't "turn their backs" on old buddies. If you are in a position where you could lose a lot, sometimes you have to cut ties- or at least distance yourself a bit. It's a bummer but it doesn't do anybody any good to sacrifice your own opportunities for the sake of childhood ties. I have family members whose homes I do not visit anymore because they have had multiple home raids for drugs and continue to use/deal. I have a medical license to think about these days.

I'm sure your situation is anything close to all that, but it's worth thinking about.

Reactions: 7 users
I think OP established that he made all this stuff become plain sight when he went to get his registration. If not there may be a defense to the search.

OP did, but I was replying to another commenter who said a cop found marijuana in a "secret compartment behind my glovebox." That implies a pretty thorough search imo.

OP did, but I was replying to another commenter who said a cop found marijuana in a "secret compartment behind my glovebox." That implies a pretty thorough search imo.
In most cases when police ask if they can search the individual says ok, not realizing it's their right to say no, or hoping it will help his cause by being cooperative. And if they say no, sometimes in traffic situations there's probable cause for an arrest, in which case the car to be impounded and they would do an "inventory search" so you don't later accuse them of losing whatever was in the car, and they'd find it this way. The only way to win is to not have drugs or paraphrabalia in your car.