[Article] “AMA officially recognizes COMLEX equality with USMLE”.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to add in I’m pretty sure the people who write nbome questions are people who barely passed boards and are fm docs that love omm

Not bashing fm but the fm docs that teach at my school are barely more intelligent than the average midlevel which is saying a lot so if these people write our questions then mother of God take USMLE and not just comlex

They say if you can’t do, then teach and if you can’t teach then brag about how awesome you think you weee in residency and how (insert X specialty that you probably didn’t match into) thanked you so much for you saving their patient on a daily basis instead of actually teaching us. And then continue to brag that fm is hardest specialty and that you literally do everything every other doc does and only refer out for insurance reasons (lol my @SS)

That’s how it was at my school anyway
I see the OMM COMAT went how it does. I can't wait till these first semester 'believers' get to take that masterpiece.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I see the OMM COMAT went how it does. I can't wait till these first semester 'believers' get to take that masterpiece.

Personally I can't wait, I just hope my faith has grown enough by then to truly understand the ways of our savior, AT Still MD DO.

Reactions: 5 users
Personally I can't wait, I just hope my faith has grown enough by then to truly understand the ways of our savior, AT Still MD DO.
You know he was an MD back when barbers were your surgeon. That legitimizes OMM!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly he stillmeister was probably ahead of his time. Unfortunately Real medicine has evolved and OMM has remained the same stagnant fart it was in the 1800s

Honestly he stillmeister was probably ahead of his time. Unfortunately Real medicine has evolved and OMM has remained the same stagnant fart it was in the 1800s
The whole degree was founded on someone realizing what they’re doing isn’t working. It’s time to try something new. It’s rather inspiring when you think about how strongly he must have fought trying to get other physicians to stop treatments he knew were harmful or ineffective.

In medical education today, it’s clear that osteopathic medicine’s model is ineffective and something needs to be done. Those who would argue for change are stonewalled against the same types Still rebelled against in the first place , and they even quote him to do so. A sad, albeit ironically fitting end to the DO degree.

Reactions: 10 users
The whole degree was founded on someone realizing what they’re doing isn’t working. It’s time to try something new. It’s rather inspiring when you think about how strongly he must have fought trying to get other physicians to stop treatments he knew were harmful or ineffective.

In medical education today, it’s clear that osteopathic medicine’s model is ineffective and something needs to be done. Those who would argue for change are stonewalled against the same types Still rebelled against in the first place , and they even quote him to do so. A sad, albeit ironically fitting end to the DO degree.
Just like most new religious reformers, when the founders pass away the followers regress back to the mean and end up worse then what they were trying to reform.

Oh man that thing was horrifying. It's an odd feeling to sit for an exam where 80% is topics never before taught to us or found in any review source.

The disdain that I and many others have about DO schools is that many of us were blatantly lied to. When I applied, the motto of our school was to create good doctors to help the people of strongly underserved regions. It did not have any emphasis on that being specifically via primary care - in fact, both in my personal statement and my interview I had mentioned that I was interested in a surgical subspecialty. As the AOA got closer and closer to completion of the merger, so too did the attitude of my school change. Unfortunately at that point, I was already a 1st year and it was too late to go to an MD school.

And for the 1st year wondering why we bitch about OMM and not just do research about it - it is because there is no interest to sponsor research in the first place. If you look at the type of papers that are submitted and accepted to the JAOA, they’re completely atrociously done studies that would have never been approved for publication in any other reputable medical journal. Secondly, because of the nature of OMM, it makes actually studying it difficult due to how subjective the effectiveness of it is. Just because a patient says it makes them feel a little better after you do it does not mean it is objectively good for patient care. Patients will tell you that getting antibiotics for their viral infections makes them feel better, which we know is bogus. To put it simply, OMM relies on an outdated, pre-evidence based approach and is by today’s standards, BAD MEDICINE.

Reactions: 7 users
Secondly, because of the nature of OMM, it makes actually studying it difficult due to how subjective the effectiveness of it is. Just because a patient says it makes them feel a little better after you do it does not mean it is objectively good for patient care. Patients will tell you that getting antibiotics for their viral infections makes them feel better, which we know is bogus. To put it simply, OMM relies on an outdated, pre-evidence based approach and is by today’s standards, BAD MEDICINE.
That's why God invented the blinded study...

Reactions: 1 users
That's why God invented the blinded study...

It's notoriously difficult to conduct scientifically rigorous, low-bias blinded studies on the effectiveness of OMM. For example, there has yet to be a concrete standard set for what "sham therapy" is, and it's challenging to come up with sham therapies that contain no elements that contribute to OMM's supposed effectiveness.

It's notoriously difficult to conduct scientifically rigorous, low-bias blinded studies on the effectiveness of OMM. For example, there has yet to be a concrete standard set for what "sham therapy" is, and it's challenging to come up with sham therapies that contain no elements that contribute to OMM's supposed effectiveness.
Well if its difficult

Surgery seems to have figured it out so...

OMM latches onto literally anything. I mean I had a lab dedicated to cupping, lectures on acupuncture. I wouldn't even be surprised if there wasn't homeopathy stuck in those PowerPoint somewhere.
Cupping?????????????????

Do they have a lecture on leeches? Trepanning? Exorcism?

Do these fools have any idea how much damage they inflict upon the profession?

You have to complain about this!!!!

I was just reading a good article last about the uselessness of acupuncture (except as a placebo).

Members don't see this ad :)
Cupping?????????????????

Do they have a lecture on leeches? Trepanning? Exorcism?

I was just reading a good article last about the uselessness of acupuncture (except as a placebo).

I kid you not - we had a lecture where they brought toilet plungers in and made us toilet plunger each others backs.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
The disdain that I and many others have about DO schools is that many of us were blatantly lied to. When I applied, the motto of our school was to create good doctors to help the people of strongly underserved regions. It did not have any emphasis on that being specifically via primary care - in fact, both in my personal statement and my interview I had mentioned that I was interested in a surgical subspecialty. As the AOA got closer and closer to completion of the merger, so too did the attitude of my school change. Unfortunately at that point, I was already a 1st year and it was too late to go to an MD school.

And for the 1st year wondering why we bitch about OMM and not just do research about it - it is because there is no interest to sponsor research in the first place. If you look at the type of papers that are submitted and accepted to the JAOA, they’re completely atrociously done studies that would have never been approved for publication in any other reputable medical journal. Secondly, because of the nature of OMM, it makes actually studying it difficult due to how subjective the effectiveness of it is. Just because a patient says it makes them feel a little better after you do it does not mean it is objectively good for patient care. Patients will tell you that getting antibiotics for their viral infections makes them feel better, which we know is bogus. To put it simply, OMM relies on an outdated, pre-evidence based approach and is by today’s standards, BAD MEDICINE.

I disagree with this. Your sham study can simply be a technique that is not taught to be the valid treatment for condition X. I don't know, let's say some rib raising for knee pain.

Your objective analyte could be joint motion, rather than simply a pain score.

I think OMM can be tested on a bunch things. Cranial for PTSD, for example.

As I have mentioned previously, the galling thing is that our OMT colleagues are loathe to test out the hypothesis that their treasured techniques might actually not work (which simply means you throw them out and try something else).

Your generation is the last best hope for instilling true scientific rigor into OMM/OMT. Not all of your Deans are fools or True Believers...work on them.

Otherwise, suspend you disbelief and try to see if you can learn something useful, and just consider OMM classes as the tax you have to pay for f'ing up your GPAs and/or MCAT scores. You still get to be doctors.

Last edited:
I kid you not - we had a lecture where they brought toilet plungers in and made us toilet plunger each others backs.
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F267762%2Ffacepalm-emoji-ios10-emojipedia.jpg

Do they have a lecture on leeches?

Ironically leeches are extremely useful in the right clinical scenarios and are still used.

One of our professors literally made fun of someone wearing KT Tape in lab "placebo anyone?!" right before he went on to teach us about how the chapman's point of the cerebellum is on the coracoid process...

Ironically leeches are extremely useful in the right clinical scenarios and are still used.

One of our professors literally made fun of someone wearing KT Tape in lab "placebo anyone?!" right before he went on to teach us about how the chapman's point of the cerebellum is on the coracoid process...

This is so much LOLs. I was lucky and didn’t have an extremists teach me. I had one of the heads of the department tell me he just crams the chapmans points every time before boards

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

lol

Your school should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh man that thing was horrifying. It's an odd feeling to sit for an exam where 80% is topics never before taught to us or found in any review source.

You can find at least 80% of the material in Savarese

Nope. I read savarese. I did combank. And yet there were very few questions where I felt like they were testing something that seemed familiar. I admittedly don't have the most amazing memory but you can tell when a test is giving you a question and you think "oh shoot I've seen this before but I dont remember exactly" vs "I know that I have never seen anything remotely like this in lectures or board resources."

But if you did well then good on you bro. Keep that aoa dream alive.

I will say, you basically just described my comat experience so far. My surgery and IM shelfs contained atleast 50% material of things I’ve never even heard in passing and I did all the necessary readings/ q banks etc

Not that I'm defending them, but if I wanted to be fair, I'd mention that IIRC somewhere in the NBOME site, they actually do recommend what resources we should be using for our COMATs. Again, I don't care much about it since I think COMATs are as dumb as COMLEX but that's what they would say if you complained about our current resources not helping us.

I think this post should be a sticky in the premed threads when they ask whats wrong with DO schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Disagree, at least half of mine was material straight out of made-up-ville. Savarese and me are besties, and I still scored decently (a SD above average), but that COMAT was a fine pile of garbage.

We really should start making a tier list for DO schools.

Surgery seems to have figured it out so...
Yep.
One of OMM profs does a lecture on the research behind cranial and sites a study he conducted that had “equal improvement between treated and non-treated groups” with regard to vision tests, and so he actually tries to convince the class that the only factor both groups had was the initial checking of CRI, so EVEN THE ACT OF FEELING FOR CRI will improve one’s vision.

We really should start making a tier list for DO schools.

Only 4th years and recent alumni should be allowed to make the tier though.

I've heard way too many 1st and 2nd years on this site emphasize a school on this site and older students know the deal.

Only 4th years and recent alumni should be allowed to make the tier though.

I've heard way too many 1st and 2nd years on this site emphasize a school on this site and older students know the deal.

I cannot help but concur because that is so true.

Yes we used plungers lol

Ready to put lmu on the naughty list goro?

Plungers? I go to a notoriously hardcore omm school and there’s just no way that would fly.

Plungers? I go to a notoriously hardcore omm school and there’s just no way that would fly.
I am sure all the COMs will have that 'one crazy OMM faculty' who will be picking this up soon. They feed off each other. Soon DO's will be correcting your CRI's with toilet plungers everywhere, and a new 'medical grade' plunger will be added onto the required equipment list (for only $30, a bargain!)

The future:
doctors-that-do.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. I read savarese. I did combank. And yet there were very few questions where I felt like they were testing something that seemed familiar. I admittedly don't have the most amazing memory but you can tell when a test is giving you a question and you think "oh shoot I've seen this before but I dont remember exactly" vs "I know that I have never seen anything remotely like this in lectures or board resources."

But if you did well then good on you bro. Keep that aoa dream alive.

maybe my school stresses OMM more than yours then. I didn't say I did exceptionally well on it- I just thought it was pretty straightforward for most of the questions- diagnosing, set up, Chapman's, sympathetics... I'm the last person to dream about AOA, bro.

Why are we even talking about the OMM comat? It’s just a pointless hurdle where a low pass means you studied enough, a high pass means you wasted too much time studying for it, and a fail means you just burnt tf out and was done w omm in oms2.

Why are we even talking about the OMM comat? It’s just a pointless hurdle where a low pass means you studied enough, a high pass means you wasted too much time studying for it, and a fail means you just burnt tf out and was done w omm in oms2.

Guise, what's better MD or DO?

I hear DOs treat the whole patient

Reactions: 6 users

I am still on toilet plungers. You did get the P on the comat tho right? This comment is getting kinda salty :hungry:

I am still on toilet plungers. You did get the P on the comat tho right? This comment is getting kinda salty :hungry:
Haven’t taken it yet haha. Was gonna this month then opened savarese and put it right back

I really want to just leeeroy it but 40 bucks to retake meh

Haven’t taken it yet haha. Was gonna this month then opened savarese and put it right back

I really want to just leeeroy it but 40 bucks to retake meh
Chatmans points of the knee. Just gonna throw that out there. I don't know them either. I did find a COMBANK question on it, but there really is no agreement on anything other than the high yield ones.

My personal thought is focus on the high yield that everyone else will know, and make sure your good on that. The rest is guesswork anyway.

Chatmans points of the knee. Just gonna throw that out there. I don't know them either. I did find a COMBANK question on it, but there really is no agreement on anything other than the high yield ones.

My personal thought is focus on the high yield that everyone else will know, and make sure your good on that. The rest is guesswork anyway.

Yeh that sounds about right lol. Banking on nobody opening the atlas of osteocraptic medicine and memorizing it prior to

• Haha
As much as I love OMM basing as the next guy, anyone try OnlineMedEd's new OMM section? REALLY hoping I don't have to buy anything OMM related this year.

As much as I love OMM basing as the next guy, anyone try OnlineMedEd's new OMM section? REALLY hoping I don't have to buy anything OMM related this year.

The guy that does the OMM videos for OME helped teach my class. He's knowledgeable about it and explains it well. If he doesn't cover it, chances are it's not anywhere other than an obscure dedicated omm text.

Wait hold up...

Did homeboy say TOILET PLUNGERS?

WOW.

GTFOH.

You have GOT TO BE JOKING.

I'm logging off.

I can't right now.

FRICKING RIDICULOUS.