[Article] “AMA officially recognizes COMLEX equality with USMLE”.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the COMLEX were abolished, schools would still find a way to jam OMM down our throats somehow. Probably in the form of an 'OMM Boards' that all students must pass before being allowed to graduate.

That wouldn't be so bad. As an incoming DO student, I understand that I have to take both USMLE and COMLEX to apply to my field of choice, anesthesiology.

However, I would much prefer if COMLEX was abolished, all DO students had to take USMLE instead, and then DO students also had to take some type of an OMM annex to graduate. That would make much more sense to me, instead of two separate exams that have overlapping material for the most part.

Why can't DO and MD students take the same USMLE exam, and then DO students take a separate exam on OMM only?

COMLEX isn't OMM only, COMLEX is USMLE + OMM. And I just don't see the reason for COMLEX anymore, especially after the merger.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why can't DO and MD students take the same USMLE exam, and then DO students can take a separate exam on OMM only?

Because then the blowhards at the NBOME would lose out on that sweet cashflow.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not if they would be the ones to develop and administer the "OMM annex" to USMLE.
all the people that develop and manage the regular exam science content would be fired, all the people who update, statistically measure, create reports, management, etc would be fired. The revenue of 3 exams vs the revenue of 1 exam. Never going to happen unless they are forced.

Reactions: 1 users
Not if they would be the ones to develop and administer the "OMM annex" to USMLE.

You forget they make a mountain of cash off of all 3 levels of COMLEX, not to mention all the different practice tests they sell. 1 OMM exam wouldn't bring in even a quarter of how much they currently get.

Reactions: 3 users
At the end of the day, it's all about money. The frickin' pope could take the COMLEX and pass it and residencies would still care about USMLE.
DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR SCHOOL. They only care about their attrition rate and care about placing you all in FM, Peds, and community IM in places in the middle of nowhere.

Study for both USMLE and COMLEX and don't chicken out of taking the USMLE. It's a doable exam. Just focus and think of the comlex as equivocal of the "High school exit exam" where you actually have to take it to pass and get a license.

The USMLE is equivocal to your SAT/ACT that determines what schools you can apply for.

It's bull but it is what it is. As I progress through my years at my DO program, the more I have become shocked and appalled at the BS they shove down our throats. There are truly more hurdles that MD folks just don't have to deal with.

• Haha
As I progress through my years at my DO program, the more I have become shocked and appalled at the BS they shove down our throats. There are truly more hurdles that MD folks just don't have to deal with.

I despise OMM with all my heart and cannot wait to dump it the second I graduate.

• Haha
I might be a bit slow, but it's always my weakest section.

Because everyone spends their whole time ****ting on it so they don’t take the time to learn it. It’s easy memorization to get easy points. I treat it like an art history class. Memorize and regurgitate “facts”.

Because everyone spends their whole time ****ting on it so they don’t take the time to learn it. It’s easy memorization to get easy points. I treat it like an art history class. Memorize and regurgitate “facts”.
And it's not even that hard to memorize either. There's a lot of repetition plus some basic anatomy stuff. The only true thing you're gonna have to memorize is probably Chapman points.

And it's not even that hard to memorize either. There's a lot of repetition plus some basic anatomy stuff. The only true thing you're gonna have to memorize is probably Chapman points.
Can’t get it to make sense...

You forget they make a mountain of cash off of all 3 levels of COMLEX, not to mention all the different practice tests they sell. 1 OMM exam wouldn't bring in even a quarter of how much they currently get.

Why don't they just charge the same amount for the single OMM exam that they would for all 3 COMLEX exams combined? That way they would still get the money and students wouldn't have to take 2 sets of boards. Win/Win

Why don't they just charge the same amount for the single OMM exam that they would for all 3 COMLEX exams combined? That way they would still get the money and students wouldn't have to take 2 sets of boards. Win/Win

Cause then it can be called out as a farce

That's easy enough for you guys to say. Some of us here are unlucky enough to have most of our OMM questions be on proper treatment positioning of obscure techniques and counterstrain positions over Chapman's and viscerosomatics. OMM is only easy points if you're lucky enough to get the questions that are easy to study.

That's easy enough for you guys to say. Some of us here are unlucky enough to have most of our OMM questions be on proper treatment positioning of obscure techniques and counterstrain positions over Chapman's and viscerosomatics. OMM is only easy points if you're lucky enough to get the questions that are easy to study.

Counterstrain is even easier it’s literally anatomy. Shorten the muscle. If you did well in anatomy aka real medicine then you should be able to get every single cs question right. Even if you don’t know the technique.. shorten the muscle.

Counterstrain is even easier it’s literally anatomy. Shorten the muscle. If you did well in anatomy aka real medicine then you should be able to get every single cs question right. Even if you don’t know the technique.. shorten the muscle.

You think I didn't know that counterstrains involve shortening the muscle? I indeed employed that strategy alright, but alas, woe is me, for it was not enough...

Not when they ask you freaking cervical counterstrains that have possible mavericks or when two multiple choice indeed involve shortening the muscle but they both have minor differences that you have to pick up which can only be done so if you have a freaking Ph D in counterstrain.

And yes, I was very good at anatomy thank you very much. In fact, those were my easiest sections on both level 1 and level 2. However, like I said, most of my question involve obscure treatment positioning.