As a premed should I do Aerospace or Biomedical engineering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbytheTourG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I'm sort of undecided between the two. I would enjoy aerospace engineering much more than biomedical, but a BME degree could open up more doors for me in the medical field. I'm leaning towards aerospace and i need to decide for next semester. I am a freshman first semester btw right now. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Now I'm sort of undecided between the two. I would enjoy aerospace engineering much more than biomedical, but a BME degree could open up more doors for me in the medical field. I'm leaning towards aerospace and i need to decide for next semester. I am a freshman first semester btw right now. What should I do?

I've gotta ask. . . your post begs the question:

If you would enjoy aerospace engineering much more than biomedical engineering, why do you want to study medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter, study what you enjoy in undergrad, as long as you can get the pre-req's in.

Medical schools could care less about your undergraduate major... So if you like Aero/Astro, do that! (Make sure you love your physics/math classes before going into engineering!)

If you're smart enough to do well in aerospace engineering, then go for it! You should enjoy your major.

your major has no impact on being accepted. while the biomedical may prepare you more for the MCAT, I think aerospace would get you more interviews because it makes you stand out.

do whatever interests you more

BME would be arguably better if you want to take minimal extra classes to pursue the pre-med requirements. Aerospace would be cool, though, so do something you're interested in!

Both will be interesting/somewhat unique when it comes time for interviews. I've been asked about my BME major quite a few times, honestly.

people always say that your undergraduate degree does not matter. My experience has been different. Throughout all my interviews engineering was brought up as a very good thing. Personally I like biomedical a little more but one of my best friends is aerospace and some of the classes they take are pretty flipping cool

underwater basketweaving

I have heard references to studying "underwater basketweaving" many times before. Where did the idea of this fictitious major originate? I don't think that it's merely by coincidence that so many people have landed on "underwater basketweaving" when trying to name a non-existent, fictional academic discipline.

who started this one?

I have heard references to studying "underwater basketweaving" many times before. Where did the idea of this fictitious major originate? I don't think that it's merely by coincidence that so many people have landed on "underwater basketweaving" when trying to name a non-existent, fictional academic discipline.

who started this one?
I'll take the credit for this one.

if you were smart enough to do well in aerospace OR BME, then you'd be smart enough to be an english major instead...

who started this one?

No idea where it came from, but I Wikipedia'd it and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_basket_weaving

For a short time back in high school, I investigated pursuiting this intellectually stimulating field. My plan was to eventually attend a school along the lines of NYU's Gallatin School of Individualized Study, where they encourage students to design their own multidisciplinary concentration.

A little bit of Physics, some Fluid Dynamics, a touch of Materials Engineering, a course or two in Computer-Aided Design, some Stress Analysis, a spritz of Marketing and a little bit of Painting to top it off, and voila -- I have a degree in Underwater Basket-weaving.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. As others have said, Biomedical engineering would be more relevant to medicine. Additionally, you would likely knock out some of your prereqs just by following your major.

On the other hand, a doctor I once shadowed told me, somewhat bluntly I might add, that if I follow medicine, I'll be studying Biology the rest of my life. This is fine, he continued, if I really, truly enjoy Biology. Otherwise, he advised, I should study as much of everything else that I enjoy now, while I've got the time. As a little bit of background, he studied Psychology in college.

So, take that for what you will. Basically, just study whatever you like! This will likely afford you a greater benefit, measured in happiness, than would a course of study designed with your best-chances in mind, in my opinion.

If you like aerospace...go for it!

I'm a bioengineer...I really like it. There are people in my classes that don't really like engineering, and as a result don't do so well. So pick the major that you are enthusiastic about. It's much easier to do well in something that you actually like.

If you want to integrate medicine in there somewhere, I'd advise mixing in some mechanical engineering courses as part of your major and taking a biomechanics class at some point. I'm taking a biomedical engineering course that is taught through the mechanical engineering department right now, and it's really interesting stuff.

Ignore the posts about "why do you want to major in engineering if you want to be a doctor?" You can major in anything and be premed...you might as well explore your personal interests while you're in college.

If you've got the interest, and willing to work hard, then go for it.

If you like aerospace...go for it!

I'm a bioengineer...I really like it. There are people in my classes that don't really like engineering, and as a result don't do so well. So pick the major that you are enthusiastic about. It's much easier to do well in something that you actually like.

If you want to integrate medicine in there somewhere, I'd advise mixing in some mechanical engineering courses as part of your major and taking a biomechanics class at some point. I'm taking a biomedical engineering course that is taught through the mechanical engineering department right now, and it's really interesting stuff.

Ignore the posts about "why do you want to major in engineering if you want to be a doctor?" You can major in anything and be premed...you might as well explore your personal interests while you're in college.

If you've got the interest, and willing to work hard, then go for it.

Thank you! A breath of fresh air among the few nay-sayers.

lmaooo

Underwater Left Handed basket weaving ... it shows Adcoms a sense of determination and commitment when right handed pre-meds choose this major :laugh:

Agreed. It totally doesn't matter. Major in underwater basketweaving. Nobody is going to care.

I'm currently an underwater basketweaving major and a lot of people forget that before you get accepted into most programs you have to get scuba certified, so don't go to school one day thinking its going to be an easy laid back major, those scuba instructors will tear you apart because they don't want you going into UBW if you think its all fun and games, because its not.