As a premed, what single value do you respect most in others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biodreamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beyond the clichéd hard-work and compassion.
Just curious what others think.

Members don't see this ad.

easy.

1. Honesty
2. Accountability
3. Sense of Humor

Members don't see this ad :)
I've really come to value those who:
1) Lack certain pretenses/fake enthusiasm
2) are socially aware and don't live in an artificially constructed world of their own

I mention the second as I was volunteering with another premed yesterday who couldn't stop rattling off to patients about how he's a premed and how much he studies etc etc :smack: STFU!!

being normal.

People who have a short fuse when it comes to bull****.

I've really come to value those who:

2) are socially aware and don't live in an artificially constructed world of their own

I mention the second as I was volunteering with another premed yesterday who couldn't stop rattling off to patients about how he's a premed and how much he studies etc etc :smack: STFU!!

I agree with this. I can value a person that realizes there is a world outside of pre-med. It is okay to be involved and enthusiastic abut your future plans, but dont overwhelm other by ONLY rattling off about being a pre-med or med-school.

I also value honesty. Just say what you think, who cares if not everyone else agrees. Be who you REALLY are!

Agree with the person a couple posts above. It bugs me so much when pre-meds flaunt the fact that they're pre-med to other people.

Humility and awareness of the greater world. The pre-meds who flaunt being pre-med make me chuckle. Most of 'em have "FAILURE" written all over them, I find.

-Good work ethic outside of school, volunteering, and the usual pre-med stuff / ability to function well in a crappy job like most other people have
-Social awareness
-Humility

Members don't see this ad :)
-respect
-humility
-genuinity

Aside from the usual, the above qualities are NOT seen in everyone. Look closely and be picky--there aren't many people that encompass all of these qualities.

In other pre-meds:
People who have interests outside of medicine and studying - athletically/artistically/musically talented.
Socially adept and still spend time with friends.
Ability to know when to be serious and when to mess around.

1. The ones that don't give up when **** gets hard
2. The ones that know how to be nice despite whatever **** befalls them

I'm goin to echo what others have said before, but here's my top list:

1. Humility
2. Wisdom
3. Integrity/Honesty
4. Compassion about those around you (very similar to the comments earlier about not being self-centered)
5. Teamwork
6. Leadership

The two most critical of the human senses:

Humor and perspective

1. Honesty
2.Perseverance
3.Empathy (this goes along with being non-judgmental)
4.Humility
5.Humor

Among others. These are just things I admire in people period.

Comprehension.

As in being able to comprehend simple requests, such as if someone were to ask you what single value you respect most in others you would actually reply with a single answer.

;)

1.Honesty
2.Loyalty
3.Responsiblity
4.Humor
5.Being Fit (cuz if you have time to look good and be on top of your game, then your legit)

Comprehension.

As in being able to comprehend simple requests, such as if someone were to ask you what single value you respect most in others you would actually reply with a single answer.

;)

Style... :laugh:

I'm playing
I respect pre meds that are well rounded.

Somebody's got their posting privileges back I see...

+1 for trustworthiness, not because I'm premed, but because I'm human.

lol. you missed me? I spouted too much information about the MCAT, so they took away my posting privileges for 1 week...

Not being a bigot. If I get any sense of someone being homophobic, intolerant of other ethnicities and cultures, man/woman hating, or a religious zealot, that person has the same value of a piece of trash on the ground. :thumbdown:

There's no such thing.

Agreed :thumbup:.

Comprehension.

;)

Well... um... I value those who break the rules, you know.... that going beyond conventions and thinking outside the box stuff :).

It may not be the value I respect the most, but modesty has to be high up there for me.

Sincerity is a big one for me. Too many fake people and too many hypocrites these days.

I also value friendliness a lot. People who are genuinely friendly to the people they meet, regardless of their social status or appearance or what faculty you're in. I don't like it when someone changes completely once they're in a professional program and act like they're suddenly better than you.

Humility is important too. Always good to stay grounded.

A nice butt.

to-wink.gif

Last edited:
Not being a bigot. If I get any sense of someone being homophobic, intolerant of other ethnicities and cultures, man/woman hating, or a religious zealot, that person has the same value of a piece of trash on the ground. :thumbdown:

Let's not forget the atheistic zealots who are intolerant of people's religions :rolleyes:

As a side note, for someone that is so against intolerance, you have a very low tolerance for others.

Let's not forget the atheistic zealots who are intolerant of people's religions :rolleyes:

As a side note, for someone that is so against intolerance, you have a very low tolerance for others.
What makes you think I'm atheist? How do you know I wasn't referring to staunch atheists when I meantioned religious zealots? You do realize there are religious people who aren't religious zealots, don't you? Do you even know the definition of zealot? You're not gonna cry are you?
3133p8p.gif

Last edited:
What makes you think I'm atheist? How do you know I wasn't referring to staunch atheists when I meantioned religious zealots? You do realize there are religious people who aren't religious zealots, don't you? Do you even know the definition of zealot? You're not gonna cry are you?
3133p8p.gif
Jeez, defensive much?

You could have just said "You're right -- let me clarify, by religious zealots, I meant both staunch atheists and religious fanatics"

No need to incite a flame war -- save your energy for the actual bigots :)

Jeez, defensive much?

You could have just said "You're right -- let me clarify, by religious zealots, I meant both staunch atheists and religious fanatics"

No need to incite a flame war -- save your energy for the actual bigots :)
You mad, bro? :(

3133p8p.gif

Atheist: persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief.

Clearly I cannot magically learn the meaning of your thoughts. In fact, no one can. Typically, this is why language has come to be used in a manor that accurately reflects your thoughts in a way that is commonly understood by everyone. So, while it is possible that by religious zealots you expected everyone to understand this included those who are...not inclined towards religion, I find it surprising that you would react so aggressively to someone thinking otherwise.

Again, I question the legitimacy of your feigned anger over bigots when you seem so unwilling to consider the viewpoints of others.

A sense of humor...like mine. Some people on here have them, but a lot of people have this...tunnel vision mentality that procludes them from relaxing.

That and humility. Nothing pisses me off more than lacking of these two.

A nice thick a** and a pair of juicy thighs.

Not intelligence or skill.

Good character qualities. Being a good person.