As a premed, what single value do you respect most in others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
non-cutthroatness

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really mind people who are competitive, I don't respect people who won't help others because it would allow people to catch up to them.

The qualities I most respect are compassion, humor, and friendliness

Members don't see this ad :)
Reliability... And for geez sake common sense is key! Personally, I respect someone that has a lot of life experience, and really I think you need a ton of it prior to becoming a physician...

Reliability... And for geez sake common sense is key! Personally, I respect someone that has a lot of life experience, and really I think you need a ton of it prior to becoming a physician...

About the bolded..One of my bosses told me something once that has stuck with me. He said; "You can teach a lot of smart people a lot of different things, but when it comes down to it, you can't teach anyone common sense." It is so true. People can have a bunch of degrees on their wall and lack common sense and emotional IQ.

About the bolded..One of my bosses told me something once that has stuck with me. He said; "You can teach a lot of smart people a lot of different things, but when it comes down to it, you can't teach anyone common sense." It is so true. People can have a bunch of degrees on their wall and lack common sense and emotional IQ.

Great that you mention that... I really hate it when people live in their bubbles and as long as nothing bothers them it's not important. I don't mean you should stop living your life because bad things happen, just to be aware of the world around you.

Reading physics books might help you get an education but I really like people who read the newspapers, stay up to date with new books, can appreciate music and art, etc. It says a lot about the person.

Number one has gotta be respectfulness.

But something else I really value is people who don't EXCLUSIVELY talk about things that affect their day-to-day lives (MCAT, homework, gf/bf, drinking, etc). I know this is gonna take up like 90% of all conversations, but if you can't talk about anything else, you're gonna bore the hell out of me.

The single value I most respect is someone who acknowledges their limits and is unashamed to admit their failures.

Also, a nice butt goes a long way.

Oh god...a 4chan meme....oh god

That's the second time you've referenced 4chan from one of my posts. You're obviously not aware...

Only certain kinds of people visit that site brah...

As for me, I take a multi, lift heavy, and stay 'hansome'

Come at me bro...

Last edited:
Atheist: persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief.

Clearly I cannot magically learn the meaning of your thoughts. In fact, no one can. Typically, this is why language has come to be used in a manor that accurately reflects your thoughts in a way that is commonly understood by everyone. So, while it is possible that by religious zealots you expected everyone to understand this included those who are...not inclined towards religion, I find it surprising that you would react so aggressively to someone thinking otherwise.

Again, I question the legitimacy of your feigned anger over bigots when you seem so unwilling to consider the viewpoints of others.
Damn, bro. You crying? :(

People who don't walk around with a stick in their ass. Non-cry-babies. :)

definitely well roundedness.

I respect the fact that some of my counterparts are multifacted; that they can work hard in school and also are aware of outside issues/culture....

an artist, a musician, a poet, other talents...i wish i did lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Reliability/dependability.

I like people that I know I can count on to get things done. I hate trusting anyone with an important responsiblity, so those handful of people I know I can are my favorite.

If you talk the talk, then you had best be walking the walk. If I hear someone say they do research, then I expect them to be able to explain their work. If I hear someone say they volunteer in medicine, then I expect some stories. Culture is also nice- foreign languages, worldly interests, etc.

An interest in Lil' Wayne, AC/DC, and 2009-2010 David Guetta are huge turn-offs. Lil' Jon, however, is acceptable.

In no particular order: intelligence, work ethic, and looks.

Actually, in that exact order.

Not being a bigot. If I get any sense of someone being homophobic, intolerant of other ethnicities and cultures, man/woman hating, or a religious zealot, that person has the same value of a piece of trash on the ground. :thumbdown:

If I remember right, weren't you the one that said on another thread Asians can't handle liquor because they lack a certain enzyme? Care to comment?

1. Compassion
2. Genuine personality (what you see is what you get)
3. Honesty
4. Humility
5. Empathy

Seriously, a doctor without compassion might as well just be a scientist and nothing more.

Humor is one of the more unique qualities to humans (from what we can tell conclusively at least :p ) and as such I respect someone who can laugh at both others and themselves.

Not being a super intense tool all of the time. Being capable of holding a conversation is also nice.

For real. I really appreciate it if the individual does not act like they are God's gift to Earth and act like a super tool most of the time. I have met many douches like this.

Honesty is PUUUUURDY GOOOD too.

congruancy. people who are the same to your face as they are behind your back.

If I remember right, weren't you the one that said on another thread Asians can't handle liquor because they lack a certain enzyme? Care to comment?
I'm usually pretty good at picking up sarcasm, but I can't seem to tell here. :laugh:

But to answer your question, yes. I think asians and alcohol should be segregated.

This is actually true. It's not bigotry, it's biochemistry. Hence why asian girls make cheap dates.

Kidding, kidding.....um...no, really.

Oops...just realized that OP said ASIDE FROM compassion. In that case, everything in my post still applies...but ignore the comments on compassion. :oops:

This is true actually.

Not being a super intense tool all of the time. Being capable of holding a conversation is also nice.
This.

Oh I also hate how a lot of pre-meds go on and on about how they love to help people and how compassionate they are. And then the next day they try to sink your battleship in biochemistry to skew the curves.

I think the hardest characteristic for a Pre med to attain would be humility. Especially when your goal in life is to be better than the next in order to gain a acceptance.

That's the second time you've referenced 4chan from one of my posts. You're obviously not aware...

Only certain kinds of people visit that site brah...

As for me, I take a multi, lift heavy, and stay 'hansome'

Come at me bro...
repped.

Honesty + Good sense of humor = my favorites.

Gosh, I couldn't tell you. I've been thinking this over quite a bit lately, because I've come to the sort of crossroads where I'm not all that sure what I want out of life anymore. I'm strangely, perhaps eerily sure of where to go and what to do, but I have no idea what I want or intend to get out of it. Tell you what OP, why don't we do a rain check and I'll come back and tell you in a year or so when I've figured it out a little more?
That's such a strange answer, bro. :laugh: