A's on Bio tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in most classes, tests aren't the whole grade. You have participation , HW, attendance, so generally if you make mid-high-eighties on the tests, you can get an A/A-. I'm wondering- have any of you guys really gotten A's on tests in Bio classes? I feel like everyone I know makes A's in Bio classes but getting 80's on the tests and A's on everything else. I haven't gotten above a 90 on a Bio test since AP bio...It's like, no matter how much you study, you still drop the ball somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had my fair share of A's in classes that I didn't have an A average for my test scores. However, most of my classes don't have anything other than the tests so getting A's is pretty much required.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My bio 1 class grade was like 90% exams and 10% participation/attendance.
Our Biochem classes are like that, but then the tests are much more doable- like, the averages on them are 78-82 and it's a junior level class. So I guess for classes where tests don't count for as much- they are harder? The average on my latest genetics test was a 69, and I got an 85. But all three tests together are 60 percent, so I can still get an A , easily. The last few questions were DESIGNED to trick us ._.

Our Biochem classes are like that, but then the tests are much more doable- like, the averages on them are 78-82 and it's a junior level class. So I guess for classes where tests don't count for as much- they are harder? The average on my latest genetics test was a 69, and I got an 85. But all three tests together are 60 percent, so I can still get an A , easily. The last few questions were DESIGNED to trick us ._.
Our tests were challenging but not terribly difficult. He always threw an extra credit question that was super hard. But it was EC so it didn't matter if you got it wrong, which most people did.

Our tests were challenging but not terribly difficult. He always threw an extra credit question that was super hard. But it was EC so it didn't matter if you got it wrong, which most people did.
Hm. I think if you score a good 10-15 above the class average, then I think a A- at least is possible. Mostly because if the average is less than 75 percent, our prof makes the next test easier, or may even give a small extra credit assignment.

So, in most classes, tests aren't the whole grade. You have participation , HW, attendance, so generally if you make mid-high-eighties on the tests, you can get an A/A-. I'm wondering- have any of you guys really gotten A's on tests in Bio classes? I feel like everyone I know makes A's in Bio classes but getting 80's on the tests and A's on everything else. I haven't gotten above a 90 on a Bio test since AP bio...It's like, no matter how much you study, you still drop the ball somewhere.
My animal physiology class literally had no points given for participation, HW, attendance, etc-attendance was optional and there was no homework. I was still able to do well in the class and get A+'s on the exams. My suggestion would be to write down everything the professor says. I personally typed my notes, it is easier to capture things that way. If your school records the lecture, use that to re-listen and catch any details you may have missed. Study the notes in and out-know everything on the slides, and not just memorize but also understand them. If you have questions then go to office hours and get them answered. You want a framework of how things work. If practice exams are given out/available then use them-once you have studied, that is-to test your knowledge and any possible gaps. It will take some time but an A generally will be doable in bio classes :) good luck! PM me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help

My animal physiology class literally had no points given for participation, HW, attendance, etc-attendance was optional and there was no homework. I was still able to do well in the class and get A+'s on the exams. My suggestion would be to write down everything the professor says. I personally typed my notes, it is easier to capture things that way. If your school records the lecture, use that to re-listen and catch any details you may have missed. Study the notes in and out-know everything on the slides, and not just memorize but also understand them. If you have questions then go to office hours and get them answered. You want a framework of how things work. If practice exams are given out/available then use them-once you have studied, that is-to test your knowledge and any possible gaps. It will take some time but an A generally will be doable in bio classes :) good luck! PM me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help
By my calculations an A is still possible. I never heard of anybody getting above 80's on his tests but because homework is such a huge part of the grade, most people can end up with a grade wayyy above their test average. I was very close to acing this one, but I dropped the ball by not studying the last chapter closely enough ( we also missed a class because of a snow day). I feel like I can do better on the next one, I'm just asking what other people's experiences are.
I took thorough notes, did the practice test, but didn't do enough practice for darn Chapter 7 :arghh:

By my calculations an A is still possible. I never heard of anybody getting above 80's on his tests but because homework is such a huge part of the grade, most people can end up with a grade wayyy above their test average. I was very close to acing this one, but I dropped the ball by not studying the last chapter closely enough ( we also missed a class because of a snow day). I feel like I can do better on the next one, I'm just asking what other people's experiences are.
I took thorough notes, did the practice test, but didn't do enough practice for darn Chapter 7 :arghh:
I'm sorry to hear that! But it's good to hear that you have the study skills down-maybe you can do well on the next one :)

Bio lecture averages for professor typically 60-77 range in my lectures for exams meaning those exam averages.
So the exam averages are in the 60's? Or the test averages? So confused ._.

Members don't see this ad :)

Uh what... every bio class I had in undergrad was like 95% midterms 5% Iclickers (just for the people on the border between grades) . Class average was 60-70% range on midterm and final. You got it good m8.

Haven't taken an exam in bio for 2 years ;) gotta love project based colleges

Bio lecture averages for professor typically 60-77 range in my lectures for exams meaning those exam averages. 77, 66, 73, 62, 56, 67 all exam averages in simultaneous order meaning exam 1 average 77 exam 2 average 66 and etc but last 67 is average of cumulative final. 5 exams one final

Uh what... every bio class I had in undergrad was like 95% midterms 5% Iclickers (just for the people on the border between grades) . Class average was 60-70% range on midterm and final. You got it good m8.
That's similar averages
To my bio lectures

What? Apart from lab courses, most of my grades were only based on exams. I didn't know some places still included attendance in lecture-based courses...

College "kids" are adults and should be treated as such. Professors shouldn't be responsible for keeping you engaged with the class.

My bio was 85% tests, 15% lab (which was just lab tests). I worked my butt off, and managed an A on every semester exam. This allowed me to "slack" a little on the final as a C would still keep my A in the class. I studied almost exclusively by reading the text book, and watching Crash Course/Kahn Academy videos.

What? Apart from lab courses, most of my grades were only based on exams. I didn't know some places still included attendance in lecture-based courses...

College "kids" are adults and should be treated as such. Professors shouldn't be responsible for keeping you engaged with the class.
Homework assignments are also a huge part of the grade- and those can take a whillleee

Homework assignments are also a huge part of the grade- and those can take a whillleee

Professors should provide practice problems and other resources to help students work through concepts. Again, those shouldn't be for grade/mandatory. If you don't get something, it's up to the student to seek help.

Nobody in the real world is going to hold your hand. That's not how any job works. You get some in-person training and supervision, but for the most part, you're expected to be self-initiating and able to figure out problems yourself. Of course seeking help when you truly can't figure something out is a positive as well.

I'm not trying to bash you or your institution. I just have a pet peeve when people haven't tried to understand something themselves but ask for help, especially if the question is answered by a simple Google search.

Professors should provide practice problems and other resources to help students work through concepts. Again, those shouldn't be for grade/mandatory. If you don't get something, it's up to the student to seek help.

Nobody in the real world is going to hold your hand. That's not how any job works. You get some in-person training and supervision, but for the most part, you're expected to be self-initiating and able to figure out problems yourself. Of course seeking help when you truly can't figure something out is a positive as well.

I'm not trying to bash you or your institution. I just have a pet peeve when people haven't tried to understand something themselves but ask for help, especially if the question is answered by a simple Google search.
Dude. His tests are specifically tricky, even if you do study everything. I put like 6-8 hours a week into this class, and so did my peers. I'm talking about classes where the tests are very hard, but not worth much overall. ( hard even if you study/do hw/ come to class/take notes.) geez

Dude. His tests are specifically tricky, even if you do study everything. I put like 6-8 hours a week into this class, and so did my peers. I'm talking about classes where the tests are very hard, but not worth much overall. ( hard even if you study/do hw/ come to class/take notes.) geez

Frankly, I only skimmed this thread. I apologize if I offended you in any way.

If the whole class is underperforming (i.e. many many students will fail), then it's an issue with the Professor. If the average is kind of low but people are getting by, then there's not much you can do about it. At some point effort doesn't matter nearly as much as results.

The ones who got A+'s on the tests were the ones who took AP bio in my class. Average was mid B's though. Online HW was 20% and extra credit could be up to 2%
THANK YOU

Wow, your Bio class includes participation like that? Mine never do that. My classes are solely based off of exam grades. I've gotten A's on all of them but that's because I liked studying the material, and didn't find it a burden or drag if you know what I mean.

Just keep plugging away buddy, all you need is the will and the drive

6-8 hours a week? Lol I put in 4 hours-5 for one class, in a day if it's science. If it's a stupid history class I don't study until the night before

If 6-8 hours isn't getting the results you want, you either need a different study method, or more study time. 6-8 Hours a week isn't really that much. I studied 21 hours a week when I took organic chemistry.

If 6-8 hours isn't getting the results you want, you either need a different study method, or more study time. 6-8 Hours a week isn't really that much. I studied 21 hours a week when I took organic chemistry.
It was more like 8 hours but since I feel like I'm a little slow studying I said 6-8 hours. ._. I mean, most people bomb the first test in genetics, and do way better on the next one, so I can definitely get an A on the next one and make an A in the class with the HW/participation, etc. I was just wondering if anybody shared my experience with A in the class not necessarily meaning 90's on the tests.

Last edited:
Btw, it wasn't even the difficulty of the test. It was just the volume of the information. There are only two tests besides the final, so it was practically a midterm.

In my experience none of my science classes include participation, hell the majority of them say "class is optional, you know what chapters you will be tested on". That being said, people do get As, even 100s, on science tests, even if the average is 70-80 as it usually is (no curve)

In my experience none of my science classes include participation, hell the majority of them say "class is optional, you know what chapters you will be tested on". That being said, people do get As, even 100s, on science tests, even if the average is 70-80 as it usually is (no curve)
It's not the participation, its these lengthy hw assignemtns that buffer out your grade. They're 35 percent, and they include these pain-in-the-ass quizes that are weighted to accuracy. Participation is 5 percent.

It's not the participation, its these lengthy hw assignemtns that buffer out your grade. They're 35 percent, and they include these pain-in-the-ass quizes that are weighted to accuracy. Participation is 5 percent.
I never had biology classes like that, but I did have an astronomy class I took as my easy interesting class that semester that turned out to be the most difficuly class ive taken in college (calculus in space sucks): one of the reasons it was difficult was 30 percent of your grade were problem sets that took 7 hours a week to finish. So I feel you on that.

For lower level bio classes, I memorized the powerpoint slides back and forth. Upper level bio, end of chapter practice problems were the best bang for buck.

Any of you guys who are saying that your Bio classes were all exams and had averages in the 60-70 range, was there a curve? My bio classes don't really scale at all, genetics scales just the teeeennnsiest bit.

Gen Bio 2 class had a curve of +[however many percentage points separated the top scorer from the 2nd highest scorer] for tests. Final grades weren't curved.

Gen Bio 2 class had a curve of +[however many percentage points separated the top scorer from the 2nd highest scorer] for tests. Final grades weren't curved.
Well then that at least balances it out. What am I doing on SDN. I have a philosophy paper to write but I am SO.DROWSY.Despite plenty of sleep

Well then that at least balances it out. What am I doing on SDN. I have a philosophy paper to write but I am SO.DROWSY.Despite plenty of sleep
What would be really ironic is if you were writing a paper on cognitive dissonance.

Edit: Definitely read "psychology" instead of "philosophy."

What would be really ironic is if you were writing a paper on cognitive dissonance.

Edit: Definitely read "psychology" instead of "philosophy."
........that was a little rude, don't you think?

........that was a little rude, don't you think?
Oh no I wasn't trying to be mean! Sorry you took it that way. You said you know you should be writing a paper but you're choosing to be on SDN instead and that's what came to mind. The term doesn't always need to have such a serious tone as it does when people smoke despite knowing the risks, eat fried food despite being obese, etc. No hard feelings I hope!

My bio 1 class grade was like 90% exams and 10% participation/attendance.
Mine were 100% tests, but 30% of the questions were directly from the lecture (not recorded, no powerpoints provided), which forced attendance.

That being said, I got an A in every prereq except physics, which I think I landed two A minuses because I'm very bad at math.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine were 100% tests, but 30% of the questions were directly from the lecture (not recorded, no powerpoints provided), which forced attendance.

That being said, I got an A in every prereq except physics, which I think I landed two A minuses because I'm very bad at math.

I'd think having concrete examples like physics problems would make the math easier. My physics prof didn't care too much about arithmetic, so long as your process was correct. A dropped sign can easily be found and corrected. If you don't know how to get from A to B, you don't understand it.