ASA Meeting Info for Med Student's who Don't Want a Debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EW1779

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those med students contemplating Anesthesiology as a specialty....I am re posting this, because it was being overshadowed by the "discussion" in the other ASA meeting thread...no ASA flaming please.

If you're a med student interested in anesthesiology, the ASA is becoming a great resource, all the polititcal mumbo jumbo in this thread aside.

I'm the current chair of the ASA Medical Student Delegation, and on behalf of our organization I'd like to invite all med students to come take part in the meeting in New Orleans. The MSD was started relatively recently, and we now have about 200 members, 5 of which are official ASA Board of Delegate members. We will be voting at the annual BoD meeting for the first time ever this October.

If you're interested, or want further information, please visit

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/20...eview08_04.html
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/20...tsNew03_05.html

You can email me directly at [email protected] for more information. Hope to see you all there!

E

Members don't see this ad.

bump. gotta keep this above the squabbles.

Thanks for making a new thread, since mine went bye bye...

i'm down for the ASA this year...who else med/res wise?

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an ms4 and I will be going. Are there any meetings/programs aimed toward students - or any that might be recommended for students to attend? It will probably be a little late for me, but is there a residency fair during the weekend? I haven't actually ever been to a professional organization meeting - maybe you can tell some of the 147 lurkers to this post what to expect or what the student experience was last year for you EW

EW1779 said:
For those med students contemplating Anesthesiology as a specialty....I am re posting this, because it was being overshadowed by the "discussion" in the other ASA meeting thread...no ASA flaming please.

If you're a med student interested in anesthesiology, the ASA is becoming a great resource, all the polititcal mumbo jumbo in this thread aside.

I'm the current chair of the ASA Medical Student Delegation, and on behalf of our organization I'd like to invite all med students to come take part in the meeting in New Orleans. The MSD was started relatively recently, and we now have about 200 members, 5 of which are official ASA Board of Delegate members. We will be voting at the annual BoD meeting for the first time ever this October.

If you're interested, or want further information, please visit

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/20...eview08_04.html
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/20...tsNew03_05.html

You can email me directly at [email protected] for more information. Hope to see you all there!

E
the links dont work.
maybe a typo??

Personally, I think it is fantastic to see med student interest in my profession. You guys have made excellent progress in garnering the Med Student Delegation. Not that it was all that long ago, but when I was an MS-3/MS-4, I had to get the Chair of Anesth at my med school to "sponsor" my application (she had sign off in approval of it) to join the ASA as a student. I am thankful the ASA has seen & appreciated the value of med student interest & desire to become involved.

I hope to meet some of you in New Orleans!

I tried the links and they work.

I'm an ASA medical student member and I've visited this site often to read the excellent advice here. Having never posted, I'm one of those "lurkers". But not anymore.

I plan on attending the ASA meeting in NO and I'm all for a MSD meeting. Hope to see many of you there.

How would one go about becoming an ASA student member without having a "dept. of anesthesiology" at their school. I am assuming the chair needs to sign off on this, unfortunately NYCOM is one of those schools without a dept.
any advice would be much appreciated.

dblr516 said:
How would one go about becoming an ASA student member without having a "dept. of anesthesiology" at their school. I am assuming the chair needs to sign off on this, unfortunately NYCOM is one of those schools without a dept.

I am a MS3 at LECOM and I had to get the Dean to sign off on it. Obviously we don't have a Dept. of Anesthesia either. I have been a member since last year. I highly recommend it. I would also recommend getting some research projects going if you can as well.

you can really have any anes faculty sign the form. they don't check it or anything. that procedure is in place so that the faculty at each institution can get an idea of who's interested in anesthesia.

in fact u can get a surgeon to sign it off, tell them that you'll be making more money than them in the future as well ;)

but just like EW said, I think anyone can sign that sheet off

OldManDave said:
Personally, I think it is fantastic to see med student interest in my profession. You guys have made excellent progress in garnering the Med Student Delegation. Not that it was all that long ago, but when I was an MS-3/MS-4, I had to get the Chair of Anesth at my med school to "sponsor" my application (she had sign off in approval of it) to join the ASA as a student. I am thankful the ASA has seen & appreciated the value of med student interest & desire to become involved.

I hope to meet some of you in New Orleans!

Today's med students are the gas passers of tomorrow. So if the ASA wants anesthesiology to survive, it serves it well to support those of us who are willing and ready to take on the challenge to become part of this great specialty. I just had the chair of my dept signed my membership form and sent it along with my 10 bucks. A well-spent 10 bucks.

Hey y'all,
I'm a 4th year med student at LSU-New Orleans. I will be attending the conference starting the 24th. (I will be on an out-of-town rotation for the first half.) If you have any questions about the city or places to stay, I've lived here most of my life...
As far as the convention, I hope the students could get together for a "discussion" or something.
See y'all in October.

dblr516 said:

My school is ghetto too, I'm going to have to get the Dean's signature as well!