ASDOH vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDentist@98

Reaction score
  • ARIZONA:
    • Class size 73
    • Living expense cheaper
    • Tution is the same
    • 4 clinical rotations during the 4th year. Each rotation is for 1 month. School gives $2000 stipend.
    • More difficult procedures due to not having specialties. Well-prepped dentist upon graduation.
    • They didn’t talk about research. I don't think they do much research if any.
    • The faculty-student ratio is low
    • Hot weather
    • Will need a car for sure because apartments are at least 10 mins
    • School is mostly brand new. Since 2003
    • They have 1 specialty (Ortho).
    • Due to the class being small, not much help can be gotten from the student.
    • Far from home
  • TUFTS
    • Class size 200 and 250 after D2 because of Advanced standing.
    • Living expense higher (A student said he pays 1800 for the studio)
    • Tuition is the same
    • 1 external rotation during 4th year. 5 weeks
    • No difficult procedures because there are almost all specialties
    • Big in research
    • The faculty-student ratio is high
    • Cold weather
    • No need for a car
    • School is well known due to being 150 years.
    • Due to classes being big, I can get more help from students. More friendships between students due to greater class size.
    • Far from home

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with Arizona.

Cost of living will be much cheaper. Also, consider the small class size a huge plus. Better student to faculty ratio and you'll have plenty of help from the other students. You don't need a class of 200+ to get good notes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  • ARIZONA:
    • Class size 73
    • Living expense cheaper
    • Tution is the same
    • 4 clinical rotations during the 4th year. Each rotation is for 1 month. School gives $2000 stipend.
    • More difficult procedures due to not having specialties. Well-prepped dentist upon graduation.
    • They didn’t talk about research. I don't think they do much research if any.
    • The faculty-student ratio is low
    • Hot weather
    • Will need a car for sure because apartments are at least 10 mins
    • School is mostly brand new. Since 2003
    • They have 1 specialty (Ortho).
    • Due to the class being small, not much help can be gotten from the student.
    • Far from home
  • TUFTS
    • Class size 200 and 250 after D2 because of Advanced standing.
    • Living expense higher (A student said he pays 1800 for the studio)
    • Tuition is the same
    • 1 external rotation during 4th year. 5 weeks
    • No difficult procedures because there are almost all specialties
    • Big in research
    • The faculty-student ratio is high
    • Cold weather
    • No need for a car
    • School is well known due to being 150 years.
    • Due to classes being big, I can get more help from students. More friendships between students due to greater class size.
    • Far from home

Just want to clarify that although the research is sparse, due not being funded by the state, there is actually a robust research program here if you are willing to get into it. There were a handful of D2's and D3's that had meaningful research and it was pretty interesting to hear their presentations.

Hot weather: Yes. omg yes. summer was killer. Starting october up until now has been amazing though. Also to note: it's arid heat, so even though it's hot during the day, the heat at night isn't too bad.

Apartments available are less than 5 minutes away.

We have two specialties: ortho and AGD.

"Due to the class being small, not much help can be gotten from the student."
I really don't think this is an issue at all. The D2's are immensely helpful. Quality over quantity. I see some of the upperclassmen helping out in sim lab after hours to help us D1s. There's no shortage of help from our whole school since it's very close nit here.