Quantcast

Ask a second year anything thread - (for upcoming first years)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehoneybadger

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey everyone,

I am a new second year student in the D.O. and just finished my first year of medical school successfully. For all you upcoming first year D.O. students if you have any questions about the whole first year process of medical school feel free to ask me!

Hope I can be of service to pay back my debt of having the honor of being a future osteopathic physician.

Reactions: 1 user

rzoo14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a question that has several threads dedicated to it but its something i'm worried about and haven't seen a possible answer to it. i've alway been the pen and paper type of note taker. its how i prefer to learn and am good at it. although i've tried typing my notes during lecture, i don't have a lot of experience with it. i feel that's going to slow me down during lectures. i'm guessing with the amount of material we'll have to pick up during the first year, it would be hundreds of pages of powerpoints/pdfs i would have to carry around. that also doesn't seem like a smart idea. how would you recommend going around this?

if anyone else has suggestions, i'm very open to ideas!

much thanks for doing this in your free time!

abolt18

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is better? Shawn Spencer? Or Burton Guster?

Reactions: 1 users

thehoneybadger

Reaction score
You pose a very good question, one that I had myself when I first started. I was always a pen and paper guy in undergrad, so when I transitioned to iPad in my first year of med school I was optimistic about what to do. My advice is this: everyone learns differently, period. This won't be the first time nor the last time that we as future physicians will have to adapt to changes in our careers. Some people have used electronic notes all their careers, others are pen and paper. It will take time to find out what works best for you, but the learning curve is fast in the first week or two. For example, here is what I do:
Personally, I now love electronic notes via tablet and actually prefer it now over pen and paper. For me, this is what I did. I downloaded the notability app from the app store, an app which lets you download powerpoints and pdfs and you can annotate them directly, save your edited notes, and upload them to cloud servers such as google drive. In class, I download the lecture and follow the professor. If something the professor says that is very good for clarification or not on the slides I would write it down on the slides on my iPad. Then I will go back later that afternoon/evening and study my lectures for the day from my modified class slides. I like to backup my notes onto Google drive and study from my laptop for example. This is where the pen and paper comes in to play. After quickly determining the most high yield points from each lecture (most likely to be tested on) I will write those high yield points into a notebook so when I study on the weekends or before exams I will just have to study from my high yield notebook that I wrote myself (unless where visual pictures in the lecture are important, like anatomy, histology, or pathology where I will study back from the slides themselves). This way I keep up with the professors in class and still use pen and paper. I will admit at first it seems like it may take too long, but the first couple of weeks is transition for everyone.
Some people only take notes in a microsoft document format, others print everything out. Do what is best for you to pass the first time and excel to make your dreams come true. Whatever has worked best for you continue to do it, med school doesn't have the luxury of free time to learn many new methods of studying.

Reactions: 1 user

thehoneybadger

Reaction score
Lol, Burton Guster to me, but I am just biased from him playing Sam the Onion Man in Holes

Reactions: 2 users

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a new second year student in the D.O. and just finished my first year of medical school successfully. For all you upcoming first year D.O. students if you have any questions about the whole first year process of medical school feel free to ask me!

Hope I can be of service to pay back my debt of having the honor of being a future osteopathic physician.

" You jerk off???"

thehoneybadger

Reaction score
Oh EMDO2018, if you knew the physiology behind the process you would think twice about this action...