Ask an OMS-1 anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.sartorius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As this website was a great help for me when I was in the process of applying I wanted to give back and answer any questions of incoming first years and pre-meds. I'm currently finishing up on my first year and have some free time finally haha. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
856252183.jpg

I'm going to ask you a critical question I ask of all AMA posters:

Paper or plastic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to not answer any of these if you want the anonymity or something:

What school do you go to?

What type of curriculum?

Any areas you felt your school's M1 curriculum was lacking?

What texts would you recommend (if any)?

How many legit hours of studying would you average a day?

Any tips on how to adjust to the workload?

Do you use anything to supplement your studying?

It did take me a few months to figure out how I should study considering it was a ton of material, in undergrad I barely studied and took an average of 12 units/semester so i didn't really have a "routine" or good method to study and didn't have a large workload. It's definitely an adjustment, and it takes time to get used to studying 12+ hours/day sometimes, but you'll eventually get to the point where that's normal for you and you don't mind it. I usually study anywhere from 5hours to 12 hours just depending how close the exam is. So far we have averaged around 30-60 hours of lecture material per exam (given every 2-3 weeks usually). It takes time, you will feel frustrated at times, but eventually it gets easier to manage and becomes second nature.

For anatomy I found study groups extremely helpful, for the other sciences, not so much. I use the minimum to study with, class slides/lecture, sometimes first aid (very helpful), and lately pathoma (also VERY good). For anatomy I used Netters and Board Review Series, and on the very rare occasion I opened Gray's.

What school do you go to?
Can be found in my history of posts.

What type of curriculum?
System based.
Any areas you felt your school's M1 curriculum was lacking?
Overall I'm pretty happy with the curriculum, if anything it's too much information lol rarely lacking anything. But if I had to say one class, the biochemistry could have been better.
What texts would you recommend (if any)? Netters/BRS for anatomy. First Aid is a must (take notes in it so when board studying begins it's all familiar), Pathoma is great, and I've also hear great things about Goljan audio (for long drives) & his book.

How many legit hours of studying would you average a day? My school allows us to stream lectures, typically I 2-3x speed them, I'd say if theres not an exam near I do around 3-5 hours/day. If the exam is around the corner (4-6 days away) its more around 12 hours/day up until the exam.

[/QUOTE]

856252183.jpg

I'm going to ask you a critical question I ask of all AMA posters:

Paper or plastic?

What type of a morally bankrupt person are you!? FFS use the reusable bags that cost like $1. It will make you look like a grandmother but at least it's good for the environment.

Do you have any idea how much gas is used to produce those plastic bags!? I sure hope to GOD you don't because I don't know either...

What type of a morally bankrupt person are you!? FFS use the reusable bags that cost like $1. It will make you look like a grandmother but at least it's good for the environment.

Do you have any idea how much gas is used to produce those plastic bags!? I sure hope to GOD you don't because I don't know either...
hE88D0186

Reactions: 1 users
Well I'm currently in the application process. Anything you wish you did differently? What has been the most challenging thing for you in your first year? What has your social life been like? What are your plans for the summer.

Also your profile is limited I can't see your post history!

Well I'm currently in the application process. Anything you wish you did differently? What has been the most challenging thing for you in your first year? What has your social life been like? What are your plans for the summer.

Well I'm currently in the application process. Anything you wish you did differently?
- I think it did everything the right way tbh because of SDN, applied early, checked in with the schools if I didn't hear from them in a given amount of time, updated them with new LOR ECs grades whenever possible, wrote a letter of intent when it was appropriate, sent thank-you's after interviews. The one thing I highly recommend is checking in with the school, show them your interest and don't be afraid to call/email/write a letter because many applicants stay quiet and being proactive aids you in the long run.

What has been the most challenging thing for you in your first year?
- Adjusting to the volume of material/class time. It takes time and some days I just don't feel like leaving my bed, there's a lot of ups and downs, overall I'm happy but there's been a lot of times I've been upset, frustrated, felt like giving up. It's normal to feel like you're on a roller coaster of emotions, I think sometimes we forget that.

What has your social life been like?
-social life in school is decent (lots of opportunities to spend with classmates), as far as friends and family, expect to miss out on important events for the most part like bdays, some holidays (3 day weekends) wedding, parties, etc. It's hard seeing all your Facebook friends having a blast every weekend while you're stuck studying in a library for hours on end, but like everything else in med school, you get used to it. You start to appreciate the littler things, and when you finally do have a moment to breath, you appreciate it soooo much more. Any time off I get now I cherish and it makes me happy to just be able to do absolutely nothing but enjoy myself.

What are your plans for the summer.
-Planning some trips and family time! Everyone keeps reminding us that it's out last summer ever :(

- sorry! School in socal, hope thats a big enough hint.

I will be attending your school :)

1. Did you do the summer anatomy course? If you did, knowing what you know now, would you have done it?

2. When you say you study on average 3-5hrs/day, do you also include the time spent on watching the streamed lectures and attending labs (anatomy/OMM/ECM/etc.)?

3. Over the past year, have you done any board preparation?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm currently in the application process. Anything you wish you did differently?
- I think it did everything the right way tbh because of SDN, applied early, checked in with the schools if I didn't hear from them in a given amount of time, updated them with new LOR ECs grades whenever possible, wrote a letter of intent when it was appropriate, sent thank-you's after interviews. The one thing I highly recommend is checking in with the school, show them your interest and don't be afraid to call/email/write a letter because many applicants stay quiet and being proactive aids you in the long run.

What has been the most challenging thing for you in your first year?
- Adjusting to the volume of material/class time. It takes time and some days I just don't feel like leaving my bed, there's a lot of ups and downs, overall I'm happy but there's been a lot of times I've been upset, frustrated, felt like giving up. It's normal to feel like you're on a roller coaster of emotions, I think sometimes we forget that.

What has your social life been like?
-social life in school is decent (lots of opportunities to spend with classmates), as far as friends and family, expect to miss out on important events for the most part like bdays, some holidays (3 day weekends) wedding, parties, etc. It's hard seeing all your Facebook friends having a blast every weekend while you're stuck studying in a library for hours on end, but like everything else in med school, you get used to it. You start to appreciate the littler things, and when you finally do have a moment to breath, you appreciate it soooo much more. Any time off I get now I cherish and it makes me happy to just be able to do absolutely nothing but enjoy myself.

What are your plans for the summer.
-Planning some trips and family time! Everyone keeps reminding us that it's out last summer ever :(

- sorry! School in socal, hope thats a big enough hint.

Speaking to a friend of mine who is a ms1 he is doing research this summer to get in his speciality of choice. Are you doing that as well? Why or why not? Any idea of speciality?

Thanks for the response!

Speaking to a friend of mine who is a ms1 he is doing research this summer to get in his speciality of choice. Are you doing that as well? Why or why not? Any idea of speciality?

Thanks for the response!

A few of my friends are spending their last summer doing research, I've done research in the past and it's not something I want to spend my last summer doing if it's going to take up a lot of my time, I may look into it during the school year if I get a chance to do something clinical but that's a slim chance. A lot of my friends are also traveling for most of the summer, doing missions, internships, which is cool too. The specialties i'm looking into are not super competitive: ER, PM&R, IM, but keeping all options opened. In the end your board scores are the thing they look at first so I'm focusing my energy on that.

Same here. My question: How OMM-gushing is our faculty? Will I have to deal with a lot of quackery? I once shadowed a crazy that teaches for TUCOM-CA that was telling me all the benefits of homeopathy, acupuncture for allergies and prayer healing. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with this at the "socal" school.

1. Did you do the summer anatomy course? If you did, knowing what you know now, would you have done it?

2. When you say you study on average 3-5hrs/day, do you also include the time spent on watching the streamed lectures and attending labs (anatomy/OMM/ECM/etc.)?

thanks

1) No I wanted to enjoy my summer, and I'm glad I got the chance to do that because first year takes all the energy out of ya, I was actually wishing I did funner things over summer because it's your last big break before you begin the rest of your life, from here on out it's all work. Friends of mine did it, they seemed happy with their choice, I just don't think it was the right one for me.

2) So class runs from about 8-5 almost every day during anatomy, I'd come home and study those 3-5 hours after a long exhausting day. Then spend my weekends in the lab, study groups, watching lectures. After anatomy it's not as often that you need to be at school, but I still spent a quarter-half my day studying (watching lectures, taking notes). In anatomy expect to have no life, no time for working out, friends, long phone conversations, it almost feels like a bootcamp. After anatomy your schedule frees up and there is time for all that other stuff you neglected for 12 weeks.

3) Learning in class is "board prep" anything outside of learning the current material will just be forgotten anyway, and there's really no time to learn other things during a current class in first year. The best thing you can do is use a board prep book to study for your classes and just takes notes in that, along with your other notes.

Same here. My question: How OMM-gushing is our faculty? Will I have to deal with a lot of quackery? I once shadowed a crazy that teaches for TUCOM-CA that was telling me all the benefits of homeopathy, acupuncture for allergies and prayer healing. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with this at the "socal" school.

I am very impressed with our OMM curriculum, it really all does make sense and have a physiological background that we are taught before learning the techniques, it's always reinforcing anatomy and other things we have learned in the core science courses. And since we work on each other, it's nice since studying takes a toll on your body, we fix each other right back up again in OMM. As far as "benefits of homeopathy, acupuncture for allergies and prayer healing" I don't believe that is even OMM, so no there is none of that.

I am very impressed with our OMM curriculum, it really all does make sense and have a physiological background that we are taught before learning the techniques, it's always reinforcing anatomy and other things we have learned in the core science courses. And since we work on each other, it's nice since studying takes a toll on your body, we fix each other right back up again in OMM. As far as "benefits of homeopathy, acupuncture for allergies and prayer healing" I don't believe that is even OMM, so no there is none of that.
I agree it is not, but a lot of people like to go on tangents. I hope that doesn't happen.

3) Learning in class is "board prep" anything outside of learning the current material will just be forgotten anyway, and there's really no time to learn other things during a current class in first year. The best thing you can do is use a board prep book to study for your classes and just takes notes in that, along with your other notes.
Do you use Firecraker or Picmonic? If yes, how related are these to how classes are taught? Will I have to do a lot of outside stuff that isn't covered in programs like that?

Class 8-5? How do you stay awake/energized?! Waking up for my 8am was a war each day and that class was just an hour. 'Crappy' days for me were like 4-5 hours of class in a day (but fragmented)...

Class 8-5? How do you stay awake/energized?! Waking up for my 8am was a war each day and that class was just an hour. 'Crappy' days for me were like 4-5 hours of class in a day (but fragmented)...

Most programs are 8-5. Sucks… It's like a full time job where you're paying someone else. -_-

Do you use Firecraker or Picmonic? If yes, how related are these to how classes are taught? Will I have to do a lot of outside stuff that isn't covered in programs like that?

I don't have time to use either of those, there is simply too much material and too many resources available to even have the time to use. Most people keep it simple, the class slides are sufficient for all classes after anatomy, First Aid is a huge help, and Pathoma as well. Any more resources and you're gonna go crazy trying to figure out where to study from and lose time.

Luckily we have the option of streaming lectures so I don't always have to go to class if I don't feel up for it (unless its mandatory/ has a quiz). It's extremely draining and takes some getting used to, eventually your brain will adjust to learning high volumes of material and paying attention for longer periods of time, it's amazing the changes that occur after just a few short months. Coffee, coffee is my best friend too.

Luckily we have the option of streaming lectures so I don't always have to go to class if I don't feel up for it (unless its mandatory/ has a quiz). It's extremely draining and takes some getting used to, eventually your brain will adjust to learning high volumes of material and paying attention for longer periods of time, it's amazing the changes that occur after just a few short months. Coffee, coffee is my best friend too.
Do you know anyone doing it without coffee or any other types of stimulants?

I enjoy coffee, but after undergrad I pretty much just have a coffee every once in a while, otherwise I get the hardcore jitters. I also hated being reliant on coffee and essentially having to increase my coffee dose to have any effect.

Sorry this is kinda specific to your school... I was wondering how the commute is? If I get accepted I will be commuting from Anaheim Hills and was wondering if this is feasible.

Do you know anyone doing it without coffee or any other types of stimulants?

I enjoy coffee, but after undergrad I pretty much just have a coffee every once in a while, otherwise I get the hardcore jitters. I also hated being reliant on coffee and essentially having to increase my coffee dose to have any effect.

Yeah a ton of people don't use caffeine at all, some use tea instead of coffee, I've slowly been cutting out coffee myself. Getting good sleep and working out are better than any stimulant, you wake up energized and ready to do work.

Sorry this is kinda specific to your school... I was wondering how the commute is? If I get accepted I will be commuting from Anaheim Hills and was wondering if this is feasible.

I guess it depends on the reason you're choosing to live farther away, if you're single I think it will get very annoying for you, if its for a significant other or family I don't think you will mind it as much. A lot of people (in relationships) make the drive and don't mind it, they listen to Goljan audio or even lecture on the drive. It can be bad when there is random traffic and you're trying to get to an 8am quiz, a lot of friends have missed quizzes bc of this. And a lot of people who have no ties to living that far end up moving closer for convenience is what I noticed.

I guess it depends on the reason you're choosing to live farther away, if you're single I think it will get very annoying for you, if its for a significant other or family I don't think you will mind it as much. A lot of people (in relationships) make the drive and don't mind it, they listen to Goljan audio or even lecture on the drive. It can be bad when there is random traffic and you're trying to get to an 8am quiz, a lot of friends have missed quizzes bc of this. And a lot of people who have no ties to living that far end up moving closer for convenience is what I noticed.

Thank you for the reply. It is SO-linked, so I am glad to hear it isn't terrible (I will leave super early for quiz/test days!)

[QUOTE="dr.sartorius, post: 15330502, member:

What texts would you recommend (if any)? Netters/BRS for anatomy. First Aid is a must (take notes in it so when board studying begins it's all familiar), Pathoma is great, and I've also hear great things about Goljan audio (for long drives) & his book.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

What exactly is "First Aid" ?

Do you use the First Aid for USMLE, COMLEX, or both?

I'm an incoming OMS-1 and both are on my Amazon wish list right now.

First Aid isn't that relevant until you start doing the systems. A new edition comes out around Christmas, wait until after then to get it so you at least have a recent edition for your board studying. Also, don't worry about boards yet, focus on balancing doing well in your classes and staying sane. Medical school is a marathon, if you come out sprinting you are going to end up projectile vomiting by mile marker 3.

Do you use the First Aid for USMLE, COMLEX, or both?

I'm an incoming OMS-1 and both are on my Amazon wish list right now.

First Aid for USMLE step 1. As stated it won't be useful in anatomy but starts getting useful when you begin the other sciences, depending on the school that might be in conjunction with anatomy or system based. For the sake of saving money i'd buy an older version (2012 is sufficient to supplement lectures) and buy a newer one the winter of your second year when it comes out for boards.

With the new merger between ACGME and AOA residencies, in your opininon, do you think it'll be necessary for DO students to take the USMLE in the future? obvi, its just an opinion

With the new merger between ACGME and AOA residencies, in your opininon, do you think it'll be necessary for DO students to take the USMLE in the future? obvi, its just an opinion

I think the DOs definitely benefit from this, as we have more options, MDs would need to take OMM (as far as I know) to even apply to DO type residencies. The international students will definitely suffer from this. Not sure how they are going to implement everyone taking the USMLE, my prediction is one day we will all take the same exam and those wanting to use OMM/do a fellowship, going into residency locations that utilize OMM, may have an extra part of the exam they can pay for that tests OMM. That's just my opinion and the only way I see them making everyone take 1 exam, or they can keep it separate and just accept COMLEX scores. But who really knows..

Dr. Sartorius,

Do you prefer medial rotation of the hip or flexion of the knee?

First Aid for USMLE step 1. As stated it won't be useful in anatomy but starts getting useful when you begin the other sciences, depending on the school that might be in conjunction with anatomy or system based. For the sake of saving money i'd buy an older version (2012 is sufficient to supplement lectures) and buy a newer one the winter of your second year when it comes out for boards.

Thanks. I'll be in a PBL curriculum. Of course I'm not really planning on starting to study for boards from the very beginning, but I thought First Aid might be useful for determining what's relevant.

thanks
I'm doing a summer course and I can tell you first hand that while there are things to give you a leg up and get comfortable, it's not worth missing out time with your family. (This is also what everyone who I asked about it told me).

1) No I wanted to enjoy my summer, and I'm glad I got the chance to do that because first year takes all the energy out of ya, I was actually wishing I did funner things over summer because it's your last big break before you begin the rest of your life, from here on out it's all work. Friends of mine did it, they seemed happy with their choice, I just don't think it was the right one for me.

2) So class runs from about 8-5 almost every day during anatomy, I'd come home and study those 3-5 hours after a long exhausting day. Then spend my weekends in the lab, study groups, watching lectures. After anatomy it's not as often that you need to be at school, but I still spent a quarter-half my day studying (watching lectures, taking notes). In anatomy expect to have no life, no time for working out, friends, long phone conversations, it almost feels like a bootcamp. After anatomy your schedule frees up and there is time for all that other stuff you neglected for 12 weeks.

Following this up... You said how during anatomy it is "8-5" and intense. Do the summer school people feel a lot more relaxed because they are going through everything for the second time (except brain I think)?

Starting this upcoming Monday, I will be commuting daily from Anaheim. Ask me if few weeks, and I will let you know how it is.

Starting this upcoming Monday, I will be commuting daily from Anaheim. Ask me if few weeks, and I will let you know how it is.
Congrats! Look forward to the answer... Are you going to FastTrac it? 91->71? Luckily you are against traffic both ways, so a ~30 min commute isnt bad at all

Congrats! Look forward to the answer... Are you going to FastTrac it? 91->71? Luckily you are against traffic both ways, so a ~30 min commute isnt bad at all

Thanks.

Nope, I'm not. I will be taking the regular 91->57 route. I drove yesterday at 11am to the campus and it took me 25-30mins to get there.

Thanks.

Nope, I'm not. I will be taking the regular 91->57 route. I drove yesterday at 11am to the campus and it took me 25-30mins to get there.
Ah cool, wave to me as you drive by haha, I work in the office park at the 91/57 =). Anyway, I will be bugging you about the summer program in a few months if Western honors me this cycle.

Following this up... You said how during anatomy it is "8-5" and intense. Do the summer school people feel a lot more relaxed because they are going through everything for the second time (except brain I think)?

The summer ISAC student who pass don't need to take any of the first 3 exams with the rest of the class, but if they score high enough they TA the lab during the fall, then they join the rest of the class for head & neck (last exam). ISAC is basically 9 weeks crammed into 6, they cut everyday, those in the normal semester are split into different groups and cut every other day, giving us more time to study while the other groups are in lab. It was tough enough surviving the semester course, I couldn't imagine doing it all in less time.

I don't have time to use either of those, there is simply too much material and too many resources available to even have the time to use. Most people keep it simple, the class slides are sufficient for all classes after anatomy, First Aid is a huge help, and Pathoma as well. Any more resources and you're gonna go crazy trying to figure out where to study from and lose time.
do you feel that class slides and Netter's as a reference are enough for anatomy (I'm starting ISAC next week, yayy!)

do you feel that class slides and Netter's as a reference are enough for anatomy (I'm starting ISAC next week, yayy!)

Yes! Those and board review series questions (BRS anatomy) and you'll be good to go! Congrats and good luck :)