Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi!
I'm 21 year old foreign trained dentist.actually i've graduated at this year, so i have no experience in dental field. if i have permanent residency ("green" card) do i have a chance to get scholarship from navy for foreign trained dentist program?

Members don't see this ad.

hi!
I'm 21 year old foreign trained dentist.actually i've graduated at this year, so i have no experience in dental field. if i have permanent residency ("green" card) do i have a chance to get scholarship from navy for foreign trained dentist program?

No. You cannot join the Navy (or any other branch of the U.S. military) as a commissioned officer unless you obtain your U.S. citizenship.

del Sol DOHC
thank you for replying.
for examle: if i'm US citizen (with non ada accredited diploma) and i've enrolled to foreign trained dentist program to get US dds or dmd, do i have get loan at first and then navy will pay for my loan after i'll complete my study? or do they pay for my education before and i don't have to get loan?
p.s. sorry for my bad english=)

Members don't see this ad :)
del Sol DOHC
thank you for replying.
for examle: if i'm US citizen (with non ada accredited diploma) and i've enrolled to foreign trained dentist program to get US dds or dmd, do i have get loan at first and then navy will pay for my loan after i'll complete my study? or do they pay for my education before and i don't have to get loan?
p.s. sorry for my bad english=)

My guess would be that you could do either one. All the guidance I have seen just said that eligible programs had to be at an accredited U.S. dental school and lead to a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree. That does not seem to exclude advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists. You may want to get official guidance from someone that runs the program: Naval Medical Manpower, Personnel, Training, and Education Command contact info

If you are indeed eligible for either program (as I believe you are), here is something to think about: it will likely take you years to obtain your U.S. citizenship, and in that time you may already have completed an advanced standing program by then. I doubt you would be willing to wait until you are a citizen to start a dental program just so that the military will pay for it. You will probably just have to take out loans and then get loan repayment from the Navy.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many 4-year HPSP scholarships are offered by the Navy each year?

Anyone know how many 4-year HPSP scholarships are offered by the Navy each year?

It changes based on funding and need. This year it was somewhere between 40 and 60 I believe...That has been discussed on the Army dental thread.

When do you usually start the application? Can you start it before you are accepted to a school or at least find out what the components are so that you can write a personal statement, ask for letters, etc.? Could anyone give me a complete breakdown of the components and process?

What percentage of students who want to do residencies in the Navy have to do an AEGD or a GPR before they can do their other program (OMFS, ortho)? How hard is it to get accepted into an Oral Surgery program immediately after dental school?

I have some questions about the FAP. I have just been accepted into an endo residency and am exploring options to pay for it.

1. Is endo an eligible specialty (what specialties are eligible)?
2. Where are endodontists stationed in the Navy (more specifically, are there any on ships)?
3. When is the application process?
4. Are you also eligible for the signing bonus, LRP?

Thanks

I have some questions about the FAP. I have just been accepted into an endo residency and am exploring options to pay for it.

1. Is endo an eligible specialty (what specialties are eligible)?
2. Where are endodontists stationed in the Navy (more specifically, are there any on ships)?
3. When is the application process?
4. Are you also eligible for the signing bonus, LRP?

Thanks
I asked for a friend who is entering a prosth residency, and supposedly FAP is usually for OMFS, but if there are spots left over, and a need for prosth (I guess in your case endo) it may be possible. Check with your local Navy Healthcare recruiter, and try to get in touch with the endo specialty leader.

What percentage of students who want to do residencies in the Navy have to do an AEGD or a GPR before they can do their other program (OMFS, ortho)? How hard is it to get accepted into an Oral Surgery program immediately after dental school?

The Navy typically has 10 spots available for OMFS. 6 are FTIS (in-service) and 4 are FTOS (out-service). 3 students were straight out of dental school this year, I believe there were around 21 applications. The competition is fierce, all are highly qualified.

hi. My name is Thomas.

I am 3rd year dental student.

I have couple of question. Could you please explain

1. Can I apply Navy dental corp? Isn't it too late?

2. Could you explain the sequence of application?

3. Do Navy select people yearly base?
So when will be starting?

4. the housing? I have my wife and 2 years old baby.

Thank you in advance..

Members don't see this ad :)
I had (2) shoulder surgeries (rotator cuff and labrum repairs) over 5 years ago. My recruiter has told me that I will need to be medically cleared before being considered for the HSPS. My shoulder is fully functional, and I'm in pretty good shape (read: no problem doing 15-20 pull ups, throwing a football, lifting weights, ect.) Does anybody have any experience with the medical clearance process? I'm trying to gauge whether or not the HSPS is still an option for me. :confused:

I had a neurological disorder that I had to have cleared. I think my condition would be more of a dis-qualifier than yours. Just be honest when you go to MEPS and they will make you (and everyone else) demonstrate if your joints are up to par. In short: you can get a medical clearance for anything so don't just give up on it until you get a definitive no. Your recruiter is probably just trying to prepare you.

I am an HPSP student in my fourth year of dental school and I hope to be accepted into an AEGD program next year. After that, I was thinking about applying to a prosthodontic residency. My understanding is that there are a certain number of slots for FTOS and FTIS.

If I were to be accepted as FTOS and accepted into a civilian program, would I still be eligible to pay back my remaining dental school years and my residency years concurrently? Or is this only an option for FTIS?

Additionally, how competitive is the Navy Prosthodontic Program? Do they typically accept younger dentists or are most spots reserved for those who have been in the Navy for a number of years? Any other information would be appreciated.

Is it too late already to apply for the HPSP? If it is too late to apply for the 4 year scholarship, could I apply for the 3 year scholarship now?

Is it too late already to apply for the HPSP? If it is too late to apply for the 4 year scholarship, could I apply for the 3 year scholarship now?
I spoke to my recruiter today (first discussion). He told me that the Navy won't decide until June for their HPSP recipients. I would love to know what others have been told because I want to have some type of confirmation regarding this. From a different source, I heard late January is when decisions are made.

Regardless, I am sending all of my material in asap.

I spoke to my recruiter today (first discussion). He told me that the Navy won't decide until June for their HPSP recipients. I would love to know what others have been told because I want to have some type of confirmation regarding this. From a different source, I heard late January is when decisions are made.

The earlier you get your material in the better. Packets are sent to boards every six weeks or so. If you get everything in within the next couple of weeks, you should know something by mid to late February. Your recruiter might have been talking about doing ODS in June (or knowing whether or not you'll be allowed to go by june. I got all my material in last January and was sent to the boards in March...then put on the OML and finally selected for the scholarship in August and commissioned in September. It takes a while to go through the process so the earlier you get it in, the better. Also, the earlier you get it in the easier it is to get the scholarship because there is less competition right off the bat and it builds as time goes on.

Good luck!:thumbup:

What are some examples of stuff a dentist is forced to do, that is not dental related?

Dental officers are often in charge of the walking blood bank when deployed overseas with Marines. Their job is to coordinate, screen, and transport patients to medical if they had an urgent need for whole blood donations when casualties came in. The dental assistants often drew blood, etc for medical when they were short handed.

One of the oral surgeons that deployed to Afghanistan ended up running one of the aid stations, medical side.

Dental officers can also serve as the primary triage officer during mass casualty events.

But more routinely, as an officer, you might be tasked to coordinate dinners, special events, be in charge of clinic and facility safety inspections, work on projects, or handle military-related admin and training.

There has been some talk/rumors that the Navy is no longer going to offer a $20,000 signing bonus for the 2011 applicants. Is there any truth to this? Anybody hear it straight from the source? Thanks

I am an HPSP student in my fourth year of dental school and I hope to be accepted into an AEGD program next year. After that, I was thinking about applying to a prosthodontic residency. My understanding is that there are a certain number of slots for FTOS and FTIS.

If I were to be accepted as FTOS and accepted into a civilian program, would I still be eligible to pay back my remaining dental school years and my residency years concurrently? Or is this only an option for FTIS?

Additionally, how competitive is the Navy Prosthodontic Program? Do they typically accept younger dentists or are most spots reserved for those who have been in the Navy for a number of years? Any other information would be appreciated.

There is currently a shortage of prosthodontists in the navy. If you're interested, apply!

As far as FTOS and FTIS go, concurrent payback is only available if you go inservice. If you do outservice, your payback is tacked onto whatever obligation you already owe. Generally the military requires you to apply to the military residency first, then if you get their blessing to go outservice, they will let you apply. That being said, all of the navy's programs are pretty good. You'll receive an excellent education.

I am a dental student in Las Vegas. Do you know who is in charge of the HPSP scholorship students in Las Vegas and what is their contact info? Do you also know who the recruiter is for that area and their contact info? Do you know who I would need to contact about doing externships durring my active duty time

How are AEGD selections made? Do you apply directly to the AEGD, and then program directors make the selections, or does the detailer ultimately decide?

I'm interested in doing a clerkship, and am curious if where I do my clerkship affect AEGD location.

I am a dental student in Las Vegas. Do you know who is in charge of the HPSP scholorship students in Las Vegas and what is their contact info? Do you also know who the recruiter is for that area and their contact info? Do you know who I would need to contact about doing externships durring my active duty time

As for a recruiter, try this search: http://www.navy.com/navy/locator.html

Anything else I'd try someone on this page: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Hope that helps, though after an entire month I assume you already figured this stuff out on your own? :)

It changes based on funding and need. This year it was somewhere between 40 and 60 I believe...That has been discussed on the Army dental thread.

I was told that there are 52 spots this year (for Dental).

As soon as your file is complete (physical, background check, officer app, interview), you will be reviewed and eligible to be conditionally accepted. This means that you go on their list of pre-dents that are deemed fit to receive the HPSP scholarship pending acceptance into a school. As soon as you are accepted to a school (doesn't need to be the school you end up going to), you are asked to have the school fill out some info and send it to your recruiter. After this, you will be told if they have a spot left for you. This is because it is first come first served. You can be the first person to get your file complete and gain conditional acceptance, but if 52 people receive acceptances and get their schools to send in the form before you (regardless of whether they received their conditional acceptance after you), they will not have a spot for you. Now even though I've been told I have my spot locked up, I will not receive my official commission contract until ~July. That being said, I've been told I'm good to go. Good luck everyone!

The Navy typically has 10 spots available for OMFS. 6 are FTIS (in-service) and 4 are FTOS (out-service). 3 students were straight out of dental school this year, I believe there were around 21 applications. The competition is fierce, all are highly qualified.

Do you by any chance know how many of the 3 that were straight out of dental school got FTIS spots?

Also, how does the FTOS work? Are you still paid as a Naval Officer while you are doing a civilian residency? Is the year-for-year payback the same for FTIS vs. FTOS? Thanks in advance ClassVII (or anyone else capable of answering!)

I know that at least one "straight-through" was accepted into FTIS. While on out-service training you are paid as an active duty naval officer. FTOS: payback is year for year. I believe that if you do in-service training you do not have to pay back those years, may be wrong on that point.

I am currently in my first year of dental school and am almost finished with my application for the 3 year schlorship for my 2-4 year. Should I be ok as far as timing? Any additional info would be great!!!

I am a 3rd year Navy HPSP dental student and I need some info about what programs I should be applying to soon. I want to stay in the Navy until I retire. I am not interested in a specialty and would like to be a general dentist. For those of you in the Navy and know the programs, how would I maximize my pay for my career in the Navy?

I am a 3rd year Navy HPSP dental student and I need some info about what programs I should be applying to soon. I want to stay in the Navy until I retire. I am not interested in a specialty and would like to be a general dentist. For those of you in the Navy and know the programs, how would I maximize my pay for my career in the Navy?

2 year AEGD gets you specialty pay as a general dentist. You need to do a 1 year AEGD first. If you only want to do the 1 year AEGD, then I believe there is something called ASP or ACP pay that you would have to qualify for, but really to make the $50k bonuses you have to specialize or do the 2 year AEGD.

First off, plan on taking a board exam. There are those who chose to receive licensure through PGY-1, and as a result were ineligible for their annual ASP bonus for their first year, until they finished their AEGD/GPR through the Navy and obtained their CA/NY license. That was about $10K they were giving up. Yes, taking a board exam is expensive, but think of it as the Navy giving you 2 shots at the board for free. Or, if you pass the first time, $5000 extra in your pocket in the first year.

Secondly, if you are fluent in a second language, you can get additional bonus pay for languages in demand. Farsi, Arabic, Persian, Dari, Korean, and Chinese are among the languages they will give you a monthly bonus for. You will have to take a proficiency test to get the $ though.

Thirdly, rent below your means. Consider sharing a house/apartment with someone and pocketing the difference between rent and BAH.

If you would like to be a general dentist for the entire navy career, then you really are looking at Operative specialty or the Comprehensive Dentistry residency (aka 2-year AEGD). Talk to the recruiter about applying to Comp straight out of school. It is uncommon for people to get in straight out of school, but that's one way to do it. Another good route to take is Prosthodontics, as the coordination between different departments closely mimics GD in real life. I've had classmates get into Navy prosth straight out of school, and prosth is always in demand in the navy.

The way the pay works with specialization/comp is that you only get the Dental Officer Multi-Year Retention Bonus (DOMRB) only after you've finished paying off all other Active Duty obligations. This becomes an important factor for the following reason:

If you do specialty training through the Navy, at a civilian institution, whatever # of years you spend training will be tacked on to the end of your ADO. However, if you do training through the Navy at the NPDS in Bethesda, then you are eligible for concurrent payback, and you can start collecting your DOMRB.

Comp is only offered through the NPDS, though, so the above paragraph really applies to other specialties.

Please keep in mind that things may change every year... this is just what's current right now.

TL;DR: Pass the board exam before coming in, apply to specialties straight out of school, and get training in Bethesda to collect your bonus sooner.

Hi,

I'm a former Navy dentist, in private practice.

Considering going back in, I see that the Navy allows dental students to apply for specialty training, that wasn't an option when I went in (I got a 2 year HSCP, none of the services offered a full ride back then). You could only apply for a GPR or AEGD.

Does anybody know if a dentist (versus a dental student already obligated to the Navy), can apply for specialty training, and then agree to come back on active duty once/if selected?

Thanks!

Right now, the Navy is looking for endodontists, OS, and general dentists. I'm not sure how it would work for them paying for your specialty training (a la HPSP or some other arrangement), but I can ask the dental recruiter for you.

I know they will give direct accession bonuses for in-demand specialties -- some of the up front bonuses are very VERY generous.

However, if you do training through the Navy at the NPDS in Bethesda, then you are eligible for concurrent payback, and you can start collecting your DOMRB.

Comp is only offered through the NPDS, though, so the above paragraph really applies to other specialties.

Please keep in mind that things may change every year... this is just what's current right now.

TL;DR: Pass the board exam before coming in, apply to specialties straight out of school, and get training in Bethesda to collect your bonus sooner.

Thanks for the great info! I have been looking into the comp dent program in Bethesda and I will apply for that, but it looks like that I will not get in till I do an AEGD. Now, you were talking about doing training at NPDS. How does that differ than doing an AEGD in San Diego or Pendleton, then applying to the Comp Dent program at NPDS? Can you explain that a big further. Thanks!

Thanks for the great info! I have been looking into the comp dent program in Bethesda and I will apply for that, but it looks like that I will not get in till I do an AEGD. Now, you were talking about doing training at NPDS. How does that differ than doing an AEGD in San Diego or Pendleton, then applying to the Comp Dent program at NPDS? Can you explain that a big further. Thanks!

Well, first off, I haven't seen anyone get into Comp straight out of dental school. Usually the people I've seen who have gone into Comp have done a PGY-1 (AEGD/GPR) first, or have been in the navy for a while, and have decided to become a Comp dentist. However, I have seen Prosth and OS applicants get in straight out of school.

Any PGY-1 program is considered a neutral year. You don't tack on an extra year of active duty obligation (ADO). So you graduate in 4 years, with everything paid for, and you owe the military 4 yrs. But if you do the AEGD/GPR, then you will be in the military for a total of 5 years.

For specialty training, say you have 4 yrs ADO and you get into Prosth (3 yr program) straight out of school. If you get selected to do it outservice (i.e., civilian program), you collect your normal pay while living as a civilian, but after you are done with your training, you owe the military 3+4=7 yrs of service.

If you get selected for in-service training @ the NPDS, the 3 yrs ADO you accrue from taking the prosth program get paid back concurrently with your HPSP ADO.

This is where it gets fuzzy, but my understanding is that your total ADO is 4 years (because the first 3 yrs of ADO from HPSP get paid back concurrently as the 3 yrs of prosth). You have 1 year of ADO remaining, after which, you are free to go. However, if you decide to sign on for another stint, then you can start collecting the specialty pay and the dental officer multiyear retention bonus once you pass the end of your original ADO date.

See? Simple. As clear as mud.

Hatchet,

FYI... for the current first year residents, there were 4 different individuals who were selected for residencies representing endo, OMS, prosth and COMP dentistry programs. So, you can get into the comp program right out of school. I know 2 of the 4.

Well, first off, I haven't seen anyone get into Comp straight out of dental school. Usually the people I've seen who have gone into Comp have done a PGY-1 (AEGD/GPR) first, or have been in the navy for a while, and have decided to become a Comp dentist. However, I have seen Prosth and OS applicants get in straight out of school.

Any PGY-1 program is considered a neutral year. You don't tack on an extra year of active duty obligation (ADO). So you graduate in 4 years, with everything paid for, and you owe the military 4 yrs. But if you do the AEGD/GPR, then you will be in the military for a total of 5 years.

For specialty training, say you have 4 yrs ADO and you get into Prosth (3 yr program) straight out of school. If you get selected to do it outservice (i.e., civilian program), you collect your normal pay while living as a civilian, but after you are done with your training, you owe the military 3+4=7 yrs of service.

If you get selected for in-service training @ the NPDS, the 3 yrs ADO you accrue from taking the prosth program get paid back concurrently with your HPSP ADO.

This is where it gets fuzzy, but my understanding is that your total ADO is 4 years (because the first 3 yrs of ADO from HPSP get paid back concurrently as the 3 yrs of prosth). You have 1 year of ADO remaining, after which, you are free to go. However, if you decide to sign on for another stint

Hatchet,

FYI... for the current first year residents, there were 4 different individuals who were selected for residencies representing endo, OMS, prosth and COMP dentistry programs. So, you can get into the comp program right out of school. I know 2 of the 4.

Has anyone ever gotten into the Navy Ortho res. right out of school?

Hi Deep Impact,

I will be attending Case's school of dental medicine in the Fall and am now considering either Navy or Army HPSP or Navy HSCP. My questions to you are:
which of these 2 branches do you think will be easier to get matched for an OMS residency?
In which of these two branches will it be easier to request a deferment to attend OMS residency on the civilian sector. As you may already know, OMS in the military (probably bethesda, MD) is a 4 year program with no MD awarded and on the outside there are some programs (like Case) that offer a 5 year residency program which award an MD degree.
Thank you for your time.

Anyone, please help.

I am an active duty Navy Corpsman recently accepted to Case Western School of Dental Medicine and I am applying to both the Navy and Army HPSP programs and Navy HSCP. My question to you, based on your experience, is in which of the 2 branches (Navy or Army) will it be more likely to receive a deferment to attend a civilian OMFS/MD residency if accepted to that program? Although my research shows both the 4 years and 6 years programs are similar (Case Western offers the OMFS/MD in 5 years), I feel obtaining the MD degree opens more doors in the future if a subsequent fellowship is desired. What are your thoughts?
In a nutshell, how does the process work when applying to the residency program if attending school via HPSP? Does the Army or Navy obligate you to attend their residency program or do you have a choice on whether to attend the civilian program (deferment) or the military program?
Thank you so much for your time and help.

Couldn't find the answer to this question on this forum. Sorry if its in here somewhere.

Has anyone gotten into the Navy HPSP with a 17 DAT score? Assuming your GPA is fine and you have a dental school acceptance already. Thanks in advance.

I was reading about the different locations for the AEGD's and a couple of them said you get a two year assignment, one for the AEGD and the other assigned to the marines. Another said one year AEGD then two additional years at the same base. Are all the Navy AEGD programs set up like this?

I was reading about the different locations for the AEGD's and a couple of them said you get a two year assignment, one for the AEGD and the other assigned to the marines. Another said one year AEGD then two additional years at the same base. Are all the Navy AEGD programs set up like this?

According to Capt Hartzell who presented at our school a few weeks ago, he stated that if you get assigned to a Marine base, then you get stationed there for 2-3 years. The AEGD would add a year at that base beforehand in most instances.

These are what I was referring to, two of the program descriptions specifically mention your orders after the program will be directly tied to participating in that program. I was wondering if this is the case with each AEGD or could you do one year and then receive a different set of orders not tied to the 1 year AEGD program.

"Camp Pendleton has 5 residents for the upcoming year. All five residents are currently assigned to the "green" side with two year orders - one year in the program and the following year assigned with the operational side of the Fleet Marine Force."

"2D Dental Battalion/Naval Dental Center, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina will train 4-8 residents each year. Currently, residents are assigned a three year tour at Camp Lejeune with the first year solely dedicated to the AEGD Program."

http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/careers/postgraduate_dental_school/AEGD_1_Yr/

These are the only two out of the six that specifically mention what will happen to you after the 1 year AEGD.

These are what I was referring to, two of the program descriptions specifically mention your orders after the program will be directly tied to participating in that program. I was wondering if this is the case with each AEGD or could you do one year and then receive a different set of orders not tied to the 1 year AEGD program.

"Camp Pendleton has 5 residents for the upcoming year. All five residents are currently assigned to the "green" side with two year orders - one year in the program and the following year assigned with the operational side of the Fleet Marine Force."

"2D Dental Battalion/Naval Dental Center, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina will train 4-8 residents each year. Currently, residents are assigned a three year tour at Camp Lejeune with the first year solely dedicated to the AEGD Program."

These are the only two out of the six that specifically mention what will happen to you after the 1 year AEGD.

This is how it was explained to me: If you do an AEGD at Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, or Okinawa (if it ever reopens), expect to stay there for a 1 or 2 year operational tour with the Fleet Marine Force after you graduate from the AEGD. Now let's say you do an AEGD elsewhere, like Norfolk for example. You may get follow-on orders for an operational tour on a ship homeported at Norfolk, or you may do your operational tour on a ship or with Marines at some other base. If they send you to a different base, you probably won't go far and will likely stay on the same coast, since the Navy is going to want to spend the least amount of money possible to move you after only one year.

Last edited:

If you do an AEGD at Camp Pendleton then you will spend one year at the AEGD and then two years operational with the Marines at Camp Pendleton. Same goes for Camp Lejeune.

If you do a GPR at Camp Pendleton, you could go anywhere but you will not stay at CP at the completion of the residency because those billets are reserved for AEGDers at CP. Does that help?

If you do an AEGD at Camp Pendleton then you will spend one year at the AEGD and then two years operational with the Marines at Camp Pendleton. Same goes for Camp Lejeune.

If you do a GPR at Camp Pendleton, you could go anywhere but you will not stay at CP at the completion of the residency because those billets are reserved for AEGDers at CP. Does that help?

So the whole "do a GPR/AEGD year and then apply for specialties" path isn't really possible, then? I mean you'll have to finish a two year operational tour before you can move onto anything else...?