Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 4 users
Do you recommend getting uniforms before attending ODS? Army and AF students are wearing theirs for the promotion ceremony.
Yea, that’s a big ole boot move. Don’t do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you recommend getting uniforms before attending ODS? Army and AF students are wearing theirs for the promotion ceremony.
As my colleagues above have said, no.

Here is why:

If you going during dental school, you’ll have to buy all new rank tabs and shoulder boards when you become an O-3. You’ll also have to get a another gold stripe added to your dress blues
Don’t be the clown who is wearing Line officer O-1 or O-3 shoulder boards, I’ve seen it happen. You’re a dentist :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t be the clown who is wearing Line officer O-1 or O-3 shoulder boards, I’ve seen it happen. You’re a dentist :lol:
My LT friend showed up at his first dress blues uniform inspection wearing LCDR shoulder boards. I guess he was dressing for the job he wanted, not the job he had. The actual LCDRs at the clinic couldn’t have been more offended, what a bunch of prima donnas.
69E36BDD-5D4D-49D6-922C-973234C65ABF.png

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Quick question. Is it true that it is too late to apply for the hpsp scholarship as a D1? I was accepted to school already, and the recruiter I talked to said that the navy doesn’t consider D1 applications because the 3 year is exclusive to those on the alternate list from the previous year. It’s not that I didn’t believe him, I just wanted to double check.

Also, if true, anyone have any idea if this applies to the army/ AF ? Thanks

That may be how the Navy manages the HPSP now. Even several years ago the 3-year for the Navy was very limited. Best chance would probably be AF, because I think they mostly offer a 3-year (but they trap you with a 4-year payback by requiring a GPR/AEGD).

Big Hoss

Hey guys,
I've been selected for the 4 year Army HPSP, but also applied to the Navy (preferred branch). However, I'm a bit hesitant to be on a ship for up to 7 months given I develop motion/sea sickness pretty easily. Can someone shed light on the possibility of being on a boat and the experience?

I can tell you that the larger the ship the less rocking. Almost unable to tell on carriers. Only 20+ ft seas was there a gentle sway. If your motion sickness is that bad, I don’t think the Navy would be a good idea. You might have a larger issue with the haze gray color and ship temp. than motion sickness.

Hey guys,
I've been selected for the 4 year Army HPSP, but also applied to the Navy (preferred branch). However, I'm a bit hesitant to be on a ship for up to 7 months given I develop motion/sea sickness pretty easily. Can someone shed light on the possibility of being on a boat and the experience?
If this is genuinely a concern then don’t join the navy?

The navy needs dentists on ships. As a junior officer, your chance of going to a ship or somewhere undesirable is very high.

I’ve heard all sorts of excuses from other dentists about not doing a ship or operational platform. Don’t join and take out your loans.

Hi guys! I'm a D2 and recently decided to pursue OS after dental school. I am currently Navy HPSP and was thinking of doing OS in the military. I heard you apply for Navy OS a bit earlier than civilian residencies and I was wondering, if you don't get accepted, are we still allowed to apply to Civilian residencies? Also, if someone wanted to pursue a 6 year program is a civilian residency the only way to go? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! I'm a D2 and recently decided to pursue OS after dental school. I am currently Navy HPSP and was thinking of doing OS in the military. I heard you apply for Navy OS a bit earlier than civilian residencies and I was wondering, if you don't get accepted, are we still allowed to apply to Civilian residencies? Also, if someone wanted to pursue a 6 year program is a civilian residency the only way to go? Thanks in advance!
No you cannot.

You can only apply to civilian residencies if you are selected for it, thru FTOS.

Second, that is correct, b/c there is no 6 year program in the navy.

Hey Guys, If I received a 3 year HPSP through the Navy and decide to do a credentialing tour for my first year on active duty, how likely/often is it to be deployed for my last two years?

• Haha
Hey Guys, If I received a 3 year HPSP through the Navy and decide to do a credentialing tour for my first year on active duty, how likely/often is it to be deployed for my last two years?
Needs of the Navy…

If you aren’t prepared to be deployed or at a minimum be stationed in the middle of nowhere for years at a stretch, don’t take the HPSP.

Big Hoss

If you aren’t willing to take that risk, I’m sure there’s someone on the hpsp waiting list who will happily spend 2 years on the ship.

It’s fine to have reservations but you need to realize the navy is all about ships and marines; where dentists are needed the most as these are where your deploying populations are.

whats your motivation to serve in the navy if you want nothing to with ships/deployments/undesirable locations?

You’re getting free dental school so that you can serve the warfighter anywhere/anytime. Remember that.

Reactions: 1 users