Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey im not sure if anyone would know the answer to this, but ive been curious because the recruiter is always really vague. Anyways, when i was younger I had all my teeth crowned and about a few years ago i had all my permanent work finished. I was curious as to what I can expect to hear the dentists say at the RTC dental exam. is the exam fairly passive or will they give me a hard time about the fact that i have so many crowns?

at RTC, The exams are comprehensive. I should know. lol
But the only time they would make an issue is if the work is inadequate. I.e. Defective margins, chips, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who could answer,

What are the odds that the Navy would allow a new-dental graduate apply and attend to non-navy OMS programs either four or six year?

Do they allow AD dentists to take the six-year MD programs as well?

thank you for the help.

What are the odds that the Navy would allow a new-dental graduate apply and attend to non-navy OMS programs either four or six year?

thank you for the help.

SELECTEES FOR RESIDENCY TRAINING IN ORAL & MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY
1. LT Christopher Beale 2D Dental BN/NDC, Camp Lejeune
2. LT William Burke Naval Hospital Beaufort
3. ENS Drew Havard University of Mississippi
4. LT Christopher Henninger USS Boxer (LHD 4)
5. ENS Ricardo Ortiz-Rodriquez University of Puerto Rico
6. ENS David Rasmussen University of Louisville
7. LT Rhonda Roberts Naval Hospital, Bremerton
8. LT Andrew Tellington Naval Medical Center, San Diego

According to your question the odds that the Navy would ALLOW a new dental graduate to apply are 100%.

The odds of attending depend on your selection by the DUINS board and matching if it is outservice. According to last yrs DUINS results the odds were 3/8 selected right out of school. We will see what the results are for this yr at the end of the month.

I saw somewhere in this yrs application that they are allowing people to apply for a 6 yr program. I dont know all the details....

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Does anyone know the dates for 2010 ODS class? Thanks in advance!

So I have been researching all the AEGD and GPR locations and am leaning towards going to the AEGD in Camp Lejeune. My question is that would it be better to do an AEGD at Bethesda if I'm thinking about specializing later on? Would my opportunity to make connections with program heads be an advantage to me later on when I was applying to a residency?

Any thoughts or advice???

I was on the west coast and got selected so I don't think by being in Bethesda will make you any more competitive.

You sure you want to go to Camp Lejuene from UCLA?

I friend of mine got selected for Endo out of Miramar in his first year without even doing an AEGD. Albeit he was a prior MSC officer.

Also someone got selected for Ortho out of 29 Palms without an AEGD/GPR or even deploying.

It was an interesting selection this year.

Good Luck.

So I have been researching all the AEGD and GPR locations and am leaning towards going to the AEGD in Camp Lejeune. My question is that would it be better to do an AEGD at Bethesda if I'm thinking about specializing later on? Would my opportunity to make connections with program heads be an advantage to me later on when I was applying to a residency?

Any thoughts or advice???

thank you for the help.

Hey i just got picked up for OMS and I will be graduating dental school May 2010. I know at least one guy that was selected who will be training out of service at civilian school. Things to remember though: The navy has not been too encouraging about 6 year programs lately and the payback if you go into a civilian program is consecutive and not concurrent

Since I wasn't getting any replies to my orig post, I'll post it here.. hopefully with more luck.. To the Mods, if this cross post is not allowed, please delete my orig in the main forum.. thanks..

Hello all,

I just finished dental school and I'm set to do a 1 yr AEGD with the Navy at Norfolk. For some unforeseen and personal reasons (some health related, but I will be ok), I may not be able to make my report date of 31JUL, with a program start date of 03AUG. Its a long, private, and USN approved story, so I'll simply leave it at that. I've been in touch w/ various ppl (CO's, HPSP, etc) and the option of doing a credentialing tour w/ an open report date has surfaced.

My question simply is, for those of you that did an AEGD (and for those that just did a credentialing tour), what did you think of these "first yr experiences"? I know my level of competence now and I also know what type of dentistry I like. I'm not into full mouth reconstruction and super artistic stuff - I like the bread and butter (S.O., routine endo, extractions, some cr/br).. I really do not enjoy removable pros or complex fixed prosth cases. I think it's impt to realize our strengths and weakness and if we don't enjoy or feel comfortable doing something, we either need to take more formalized training or point our patients twds someone who can better care for them.

Also, regardless of your first yrs work (credentialing, AEGD, or GPR), ALL Navy dentists go operational for their next 2 yrs, right? I personally think I would like to be assigned to the marines. There's places near VA where I could hope to be assigned (Little Creek in VA or LeJune in NC), and the Marines deploy for 6 months (plus I've heard it's a rewarding experience).

So any input from you first yr grads or other folks that have some first hand experience - I would appreciate it... Thanks a lot..

Cheers.. :thumbup:

My question is in regard to military decorum.

1) do you refer to military dentist and physicians by rank or as Dr so in so

2) if some one is selected for advancemendo you use old rank or new rank(sel)

can you tell me around how many applicants do the Navy accept for this scholarship every year?.. are they super competitive like getting into dental school?

can you tell me around how many applicants do the Navy accept for this scholarship every year?.. are they super competitive like getting into dental school?

I assume you are talking about the HPSP or the HSCP. I am not sure on the actual numbers but I do not think they are incredibly competitive. If you are a well qualified student who is accepted to dental school and are otherwise qualified for military service you should be a good candidate. If you are willing to give your country 4 years of service in your profession Uncle Sam will pick up the bill for your education.

1)In my experience you can call military dentists and physicians either by their rank or Dr. Some you can call them by their first name.

2) I always go by the old rank until they put the new one on which could take a year or so. CAPT(select) is not an official rank.

My question is in regard to military decorum.

1) do you refer to military dentist and physicians by rank or as Dr so in so

2) if some one is selected for advancemendo you use old rank or new rank(sel)

I was on the west coast and got selected so I don't think by being in Bethesda will make you any more competitive.

You sure you want to go to Camp Lejuene from UCLA?

I friend of mine got selected for Endo out of Miramar in his first year without even doing an AEGD. Albeit he was a prior MSC officer.

Also someone got selected for Ortho out of 29 Palms without an AEGD/GPR or even deploying.

It was an interesting selection this year.

Good Luck.

Well, its obvious by my user name, but I am a prior service Marine, and was on the west coast the whole time. Camp Pendleton, San Diego, Okinawa, Iraq, etc. Plus D-school at UCLA. I really think I'd like to try the east coast for a while. Plus I am married now with a couple of kids and you can rent 4 bedroom houses on an acre of land in NC for around a grand a month.

Do you think that because I'm on the west coast they'll only offer me a AEGD at Pendleton or San Diego? When I apply for it do I tell them where I'd like to go? I'd be ok with Norfolk or Lejeune, but I'd prefer to stay on the green side. Any thoughts or knowledge of the selection process is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, its obvious by my user name, but I am a prior service Marine, and was on the west coast the whole time. Camp Pendleton, San Diego, Okinawa, Iraq, etc. Plus D-school at UCLA. I really think I'd like to try the east coast for a while. Plus I am married now with a couple of kids and you can rent 4 bedroom houses on an acre of land in NC for around a grand a month.

Do you think that because I'm on the west coast they'll only offer me a AEGD at Pendleton or San Diego? When I apply for it do I tell them where I'd like to go? I'd be ok with Norfolk or Lejeune, but I'd prefer to stay on the green side. Any thoughts or knowledge of the selection process is greatly appreciated.

It really depends on the detailer. When I was coming out of USC, I wanted San Diego as my first choice, CP as my second, I think Norfolk as my third. The detailer sent me an email and said he was thinking about sending my to Camp Lejuene. Hello, it wasnt even on my list. Needless to say I ended up at San Diego 32nd St.

I doubt there will be a problem getting Camp Lejuene if that is where you want to go.

So I just spoke to a recruiter and they are no longer accepting the kits for dental. Seems like all the spots are filled for this year and not sure if any will open up next year. Is this true? I feel so lost and not sure what to do... Please help

So I just spoke to a recruiter and they are no longer accepting the kits for dental. Seems like all the spots are filled for this year and not sure if any will open up next year. Is this true? I feel so lost and not sure what to do... Please help

Heard the exact same thing...haven't been able to track down the real reason why spots are already filled besides a vague "ran out of money" reason...anyone else hear about this extremely early lack of dental spots...

Heard the exact same thing...haven't been able to track down the real reason why spots are already filled besides a vague "ran out of money" reason...anyone else hear about this extremely early lack of dental spots...

I was able to track down the real reason. 5 days ago, I e-mailed the individual who up until the last year was responsible for getting the funding put together for the HPSP and HSCP scholarships regarding this topic because people a few people have asked me if I didn't know, but I knew who to talk to. He said he is no longer in the billet, but is in close contact with the person who took his job and they have discussed this very topic. The HPSP and HSCP programs are still funded at 100% of what they were planned. SO, the Navy did not run out of money early. They filled their quota of HPSP and HSCP slots for the year very early. The reason why they filled so early this year is because they had a HUGE applicant pool for FY 2008 (Oct 2007-Sep 2008). Because there were so many qualified applicants, they rolled them over into FY 2009 (OCT 2008-SEP 2009). With a large number of qualified applicants this year along with the roll over of last years applicants, they were able to fill the slots early. He anticipates this to be the same next year unless something changes drastically.

So now my question is what about the direct accession dentist. Why don't they take my application and submit it since I finished everything and roll it for the FY10....makes sense?

I was able to track down the real reason... The reason why they filled so early this year is because they had a HUGE applicant pool for FY 2008 (Oct 2007-Sep 2008). Because there were so many qualified applicants, they rolled them over into FY 2009 (OCT 2008-SEP 2009). With a large number of qualified applicants this year along with the roll over of last years applicants, they were able to fill the slots early. He anticipates this to be the same next year unless something changes drastically.
I was thinking about this:
The beginning of the US economic crisi(recession) started somewhere in late summer 2008 (peak oil price, slow decline in stock market) with huge decline in November, 2008 and peaking out in March, 2009. This timeframe coincides with Navy meeting their quotas so quick.

My idea is: people applied to these scholarships because they got scared of financial instability, and decided to choose guaranteed paid tuition and work spot for next 3-4 years after graduation. If my idea is true and Navy got so many applicants because of people being scared of crisis, I feel kinda sad for their future. Most analytics think that we reached bottom, thus after 3-4 years then these students graduate, there is huge chance that everything will be normal. So if they chose to serve because of money, many future Navy dentists can get very disappointed and that also gives nothing good to the Dental Corp.

I don’t think that this huge poll of applicants came because of patriotism. I don’t think that so many people suddenly got so patriotic that decided to serve their country. But lets hope I am wrong...

I was thinking about this:
The beginning of the US economic crisi(recession) started somewhere in late summer 2008 (peak oil price, slow decline in stock market) with huge decline in November, 2008 and peaking out in March, 2009. This timeframe coincides with Navy meeting their quotas so quick.

My idea is: people applied to these scholarships because they got scared of financial instability, and decided to choose guaranteed paid tuition and work spot for next 3-4 years after graduation. If my idea is true and Navy got so many applicants because of people being scared of crisis, I feel kinda sad for their future. Most analytics think that we reached bottom, thus after 3-4 years then these students graduate, there is huge chance that everything will be normal. So if they chose to serve because of money, many future Navy dentists can get very disappointed and that also gives nothing good to the Dental Corp.

I don't think that this huge poll of applicants came because of patriotism. I don't think that so many people suddenly got so patriotic that decided to serve their country. But lets hope I am wrong...

I agree that more people are taking the scholarships because of the idea of being out of debt when graduating. But, I don't think it is as bad as you make it sound. There are more people who would serve there country and be fine with it, but based on past history of the financial status of our country they chose to not join since the'd lose a lot of money potentially. Now, with the economy in an uncertain status, there is an attraction to a stable income and a lack of debt coming out of school. Sure, some will be disappointed if the economy makes a rebound that quickly. But, no one knows what it will be like 4 years form now.

One major thing that you failed to point out is that ALL 3 branches filled up fast this year - even the AF filled faster than in recent years. My point is that you made it sound like the status of the Naval dental corps will be the ones hurt by this. You are applying to the Army, they have been hurt in recent years even worse than the Navy. Do you not that the Army dental corps will be better off if your scenerio is accurate? I feel it would be worse off and that is the branch of servince you are trying to join now.

What is the zip code using for HSCP NYU students to calculate housing allowance?

What is the zip code using for HSCP NYU students to calculate housing allowance?

You'll be making out like a bandit--I can tell you that, but PSD would give you the exact rate...

I understand that the required gpa for HSCP is 3.0. what are the consequences of dropping below this gpa?

Will you be so kind as to possibly answer the 3 posts I made recently? I am a new member and just posted them. You'll see my name JaySea and they are titled "navy orders" "navy exodontia" and "navy orders, homesteading"?

Hey guys,

As the title says, if you have any questions for an active duty Navy dentist, please ask away. I'm not sure if I'm the best source for HPSP/HSCP related questions, but if you want to find out what it's like for a typical Navy dentist, I may have that answer for you. Many on the forum are potential HPSP/HSCP scholars or those already accepted who may want to find out more about what it really is like to be a Navy dentist. I may not have all the answers, but I will try my best to steer you in the right direction (It help that I work with about 30 Navy dentists). Other active duty guys, please help out and chime in. Thanks!

As for my background:
HPSP 3 yr scholar
Graduated dental school 2003
Navy GPR trained
OCONUS tour
OMFS resident

Will you be so kind as to possibly answer the 3 posts I made recently? I am a new member and just posted them. You'll see my name JaySea and they are titled "navy orders" "navy exodontia" and "navy orders, homesteading"?

i will toss my $.02 into the ring on this one. by way of credentials, i am a 2007 dental school grad from UT-Memphis, AEGD trained at Norfolk and currently stationed on 4.5 acres of sovereign US real estate that can be parked off the coast anywhere in the world.

orders: you should have been working on a packet for PGY-1 this past spring. if you arent interested in AEGD or GPR, then CAPT George, the junior dental corps detailer will be writing your orders for a credentialing tour. that will be taking place this fall and your recruiter or the folks administering your scholarship program can help you make contact with him in the right way.

exodontia: i wouldnt get too worried about trying to figure out exodontia this far in advance. you are a good 3 years from beginning any sort of ACP program and will have plenty of time to seek advice from the OMFS specialty leader and your immediate superior officers. worry more about learning the lessons available on your credentialing tour and preparing your family for an operational tour.

homesteading: if you want to try to arrange your order cycle to homestead in an area, never let on to anyone else what your plan is. if you want to be in the same area, you should just be a civilian. the needs of the Navy come first and that doesnt change. by the way, other dental officers are not idiots -- your career progression is always of interest and i can guarantee at least some resentment of your plan amongst your compatriots.

Hey guys,

As the title says, if you have any questions for an active duty Navy dentist, please ask away. I'm not sure if I'm the best source for HPSP/HSCP related questions, but if you want to find out what it's like for a typical Navy dentist, I may have that answer for you. Many on the forum are potential HPSP/HSCP scholars or those already accepted who may want to find out more about what it really is like to be a Navy dentist. I may not have all the answers, but I will try my best to steer you in the right direction (It help that I work with about 30 Navy dentists). Other active duty guys, please help out and chime in. Thanks!

As for my background:
HPSP 3 yr scholar
Graduated dental school 2003
Navy GPR trained
OCONUS tour
OMFS resident

I posted this as a separate blog; however I wanted to pass it by you as well...
Does anybody know if you can be eligible for loan repayment after your payback requirement of the hscp/aegd? I'm only asking because I could refinance my loan to 30 years and pay the minimal fee for those 5 years then possibly be eligible for the LRP to pay the rest off. Also, the LRP requires you to have 12 or less years of service to be eligible and I'll be at my 14 year mark after the 5 years; therefore I might not qualify unless it means 12 or less years in the dental corps, then I'd only be at my 5 year mark... so, I'm not sure if this ultimately means I can't do it or I can do it via a waiver, the time meaning dental corps time, or some other method around it. Can anybody elaborate on this or possibly give me some info on where I can find out?

dude. stop it with the carpetbombing of your posts. we can read threads!

to answer your current pressing issue: if you take the HPSP or the HSCP scholarship programs, you are not eligible for loan repayment. that would be a serious double dip and you better believe some number cruncher is going to catch it. for a definitive answer though, you need to contact the folks running the scholarship programs up in bethesda.

I’m not sure that I completely understand what a deployment actually consist of. Let’s say that I’m attached to a ship in Norfolk and we get deployed. I’m assuming that means that we get on the ship and set up shop in Persian Gulf for 6 months, right? Do you live and work on the docked ship during that time or do they set up some kind of place for you to work? I really have no concept of the process. If you have an apartment in Norfolk, do they continue to give you a housing allowance for it?

What about when you're assigned to a ship that isn't currently deployed? Do you just go to work everyday on the docked ship or do you go out to sea a few days a month?

This is a great question for someone like me about to graduate dental school and enter the Navy. I'm applying for an AEGD, but a part of me just wants to go straight in. Any advice??

I have never been with the marines so I cannot tell you how that would be.
If you take marines, you only deploy if your marine unit deploys.

I was a on a ship for 2 years.
Biggest advantage are the port calls when the ship deploys. If you are going towards the Middle East, you will go to several ports (to/from) the Middle East.

If you are on an East Coast ship, you will go to Europe. If you are on a west coast ship, you will go towards Asia. You go to ports about once every 45 days or so.

The ward room and comraderie are great on ships. You will get to know almost all the officers on the ship.

The biggest con is that you will be away from your family quite often.
Depending on what cycle the ship is in, you could be away from your family
about 50-60% of the time.

Ships usually prepare for deployment for a few months, deploy for 6 months, then do post deployment exercises. It may go to the yards for repairs for a few months afterwards (it is only during this period where you will be mostly shore duty). You will spend around 19 months out of 24 months at sea. Of course you will be away from the US for the six months in the Persian Gulf. The other months, you will go out to sea about 3-5 days at a time. I was at sea for at least 4 days each month for 15 straight months with 180 days straight while I was in the Persian Gulf.

The USS Comfort and USS Mercy are hospital ships and they usually do not go to the Persian Gulf. They tend to do more humanitarian work in South America or Asia. I do not know if you can request these ships.

The majority of ships will go to the Persain Gulf.

What kind of dental work is done on the ships(large carriers vs smaller ships) ? I imagine nothing too extensive and probably more routine; cleanings, exams, prophys, restorative. Did you ever feel like you weren't being worked to your potential or challenged? Did you do an AEGD or GPR? Personally I am nervous about learning such great things in an AEGD and not putting them to use and losing my skills because we all know if you don't use it you lose it! Which if that is the case no thank you on the AEGD.

Hello Everybody,
I hope this is right thread in which I am asking this question. I am a dentist and I graduated from BU this year from the advanced standing program. I wanted to join navy for work purposes. I am also interested to do my OMS residency in the future. Could anybody give me any suggestions as to how tough is it to get a job into navy or to get into OMS residency. Do I really need very high scores. I do have some work experience behind my back. Can I also directly apply for OMS residency in the navy or do I have to work for the navy and only then join residency

1. I wanted to join navy for work purposes.
2. how tough is it to get a job into navy
3. do I have to work for the navy and only then join residency

1. Wrong reason to "join" the Navy.
2. Navy is not a job.
3. You don't "have to work for the navy"--there's no draft.

You serve in the Navy, which is a branch of the Armed Forces of the United States of America; and, first, you have to get yourself squared away before you do.

Also, the Navy is spelled with a capital "N"...

Carry on!

Ok... I think over here my question is kind of misunderstood. I did not mean to say that joining the navy is just working for the navy as if I am working for the private practice. I am currently working for a private practice and the reason I wanted to join the military was to serve the nation and do something different not what I do for private practice, but for that I would have to work.
I know that there is no compulsion on anybody to work for anyone. If I choose to serve the nation thats my own wish and i want to do this as I dont get the satisfaction by what I am doing in private practice and as far as my decision goes I am well squared up in what i wanna do.

Sorry for a long response. Just wanted to clarify

1. Wrong reason to "join" the Navy.
2. Navy is not a job.
3. You don't "have to work for the navy"--there's no draft.

You serve in the Navy, which is a branch of the Armed Forces of the United States of America; and, first, you have to get yourself squared away before you do.

Also, the Navy is spelled with a capital "N"...

Carry on!

Anyone know when the AEGD/GPR board meets, and when will we hear where we're going?

Is there a source of information on what a 'credentialing tour' is and where it is done at?

I've not been getting any information from my recruiter and no one else from the Navy has been in contact with me.

I do not plan to do a AEGD or GPR.

Thanks!

DentistDevilDog,
I think by now everyone should know where they are going! The board met on 11/23, and the detailer called me about a week later. I'll be stationed up at Great Lakes. Is anybody else going to Great Lakes for an AEGD next year?

I have a pretty unique situation and was wondering how flexible the Navy was in co-locating a joint military family.

To provide a little background. I am a Lieutenant in the Marine Corps and currently in flight school while my wife is finishing dental school (May 2010 graduate). Her civilian job hunt has not been going well, since I only have about 15 months left in the Pensacola area, before I PCS to a squadron. Hence, the interest in the mlitary route. I was hoping someone on here would have some contacts of dual military families, especially on both the blue and green sides of the house.

Here are a few general questions:
What is the current deployment rotation? Has it died down since we our transitioning out of Iraq?

Is there any special deployment consideration given to dual military families (as a helo pilot I will be on nearly a 1:1 rotation and would like my wife to not deploy as frequently)?

Will she be able to move as frequently as my flight training requires?

What are the current incentives being offered?

How long does the entire application process take?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The Navy may work with you on this to some extent, but I doubt if they would be willing to rotate a new dental officer as frequently as your flight training would require. Just as your career requires a certain path for training and duty assignments, so does a dental officer's. PCS moves cost money and 3 year accompanied tours, with some exceptions for shipboard assignments, etc., are the norm for dental officers.

Your wife (and you) should contact a Navy recruiter as soon as possible. Request to talk to the Navy's senior dental officer recruiter. He's an O-6 dental officer (I forget his name at the moment) but anyone in medical/healthcare recruiting should be able to point your wife in the right direction.

i think you might want to get ahold of CAPT Phil Rinaudo up at BUMED. He is the dental corps' career planner and could probably do a great job of answering these questions.

lucky for you that the Navy provides all the healthcare for the USMC and there should always be a dental clinic nearby for your wife to be stationed at. as long as the detailers work with you...

i am considering a vasectomy, any pointers

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Is it possible to get shore duty at the Great Lakes Naval Base? If I do an AEGD there, will it increase my chances of getting shore duty there? As a general question, how much of a say do we have on where we will be operational and doing shore duty?

Thanks! It's just a thought I have. I know it ultimately comes down to the "needs of the Navy."

I am recently having medical issues and need somebody to answer some questions in regards to my issue and how it relates to my deployability and if it will get me kicked out. I am extremely worried that it will make me get medically discharged. Can somebody direct me to the right person to confide in and to talk about the specifics?

i would think you should start with the folks in Bethesda that are administering your scholarship. from there, you might have to report to a MTF for evaluation. if you need any further guidance, feel free to PM and i will be glad to provide any help i can.

Does anyone know any HSCP dental students in either Oklahoma, Kansas, or Texas?

Do the HSCP scholars also go through ODS after graduation?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been answered, because I'm sure it has, but I have a few simple questions. I just got accepted into dental school and this seems pretty appealing to me. So here they are:

1) I think the active duty is year-for-year in dental school, so that means 4 years active correct? If so, you do active duty before or after you graduate dental school?
2) Is there an inactive duty requirement?
3) Where are you stationed during active duty? Are there different options?
4) What is the likelihood of getting deployed now, and possibly in the next 4 years (if that's possible to decipher)? To where?
5) Your education is on a naval base, correct? So theoretically, 4 years of education plus 4 years active means a total of 8 years in the Navy?

Again, my apologies for repeating questions, but I didn't have a chance to go through everything and I figured they are easy enough to answer for anyone who has a clue what they're talking about in regards to military dentistry. Clearly, I don't, but I really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know any HSCP dental students in either Oklahoma, Kansas, or Texas?

Do the HSCP scholars also go through ODS after graduation?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I am.

Yes.

I didn't have time to read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been answered, because I'm sure it has, but I have a few simple questions. I just got accepted into dental school and this seems pretty appealing to me. So here they are:

1) I think the active duty is year-for-year in dental school, so that means 4 years active correct? If so, you do active duty before or after you graduate dental school? Year for year, correct for 3 and 4 year scholarships. 2 year scholarships still require a 3 year committment. Do you think the military is going to pay for your dental school if they aren't going to get you to pay the time back as a dentist? It would be very stupid for them to do otherwise. So, to answer your question, you serve your active suty time AFTER dental school.
2) Is there an inactive duty requirement? Only if you serve your committment and get off active duty. If you take a 3 year scholarship, you serve 3 years active and 5 years inactive - after dental school. If you take the 4 year, you serve 4 yeras active and 4 years inactive. If you stay in for 8 years, then there is no inactive obligation.
3) Where are you stationed during active duty? Are there different options? You can be stationed all over the world at any Naval or Marine base or on a ship.
4) What is the likelihood of getting deployed now, and possibly in the next 4 years (if that's possible to decipher)? To where? Right now, for tose just graduating there is a very good chances of getting deployed at least once. In the next 4 years, you will be in dental school, so you cannot get deployed then. After dental school when you are a dentist, that is another story. We have no idea what is in store for us. In 4 years, probably not Iraq because of the drawdown. But Afghanistan is still uncertain. Obama recently said he wants us out in 2011, but who knows. After that, with the fragile state the world security is in these days, anything can change. We could be done with the conflicts or we could be in the next world war. Who knows?
5) Your education is on a naval base, correct? So theoretically, 4 years of education plus 4 years active means a total of 8 years in the Navy? Your undergraduate dental education is at a any dental school. the military doesn't have dental schools like they have the medical school system. Now, as far as residencies go, you usually go to a military dental residency, but if there is a need, you get accepted to a civilian residencya nd not a military one and there is funding for it, there is a chance you could go a civilian residency program. Decisions are case by case only. 4 years education plus 4 years active means 8 years service - NO!!! The payback for the 8 years committment starts once you graduate. When in dental school, you do nothing, so why wold that count towards your committment time????

Again, my apologies for repeating questions, but I didn't have a chance to go through everything and I figured they are easy enough to answer for anyone who has a clue what they're talking about in regards to military dentistry. Clearly, I don't, but I really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

first of all, I will answer your questions, but it doesn't take much time to do a search. There is so much more to what you need to know about the requirements and such than your questions can answer in order to make an educated decision before signing!!! If it takes too long to read through this thread, then really think again about going to dental school because the volume of material you are required to read and know is sooooo much greater than this.

Look for answers above in bold.

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all, I will answer your questions, but it doesn't take much time to do a search. There is so much more to what you need to know about the requirements and such than your questions can answer in order to make an educated decision before signing!!! If it takes too long to read through this thread, then really think again about going to dental school because the volume of material you are required to read and know is sooooo much greater than this.

Look for answers above in bold.

Thanks for all the information. Obviously, since you're doing the program, you're going to know more than people who know nothing about it....So I'm not sure why you got so worked up about everything, but thanks for answering regardless.

LOL at the fact that you think I need to reconsider dental school because I didn't have time ONE DAY to read through an entire thread :laugh:

Thanks for all the information. Obviously, since you're doing the program, you're going to know more than people who know nothing about it....So I'm not sure why you got so worked up about everything, but thanks for answering regardless.

LOL at the fact that you think I need to reconsider dental school because I didn't have time ONE DAY to read through an entire thread :laugh:

c'mon man... classy of you to ask for a regurgitation of everything this board is about then pick at the guy who gives it to you. Navy DDS is right and then some.

if the military (and specifically, the Navy) is something that interests you, there are many of us glad to answer questions, but you have to be willing to do you own legwork. the military has its pros and cons, but it will most assuredly steamroll those who do not read carefully and ask the right questions.

find your local Navy health services recruiter (probably just call the recruiting office for a reference) and start with them. bring your questions back for corroboration and expansion. that's why I still frequent this board - I had tons of questions when I was a scholarship recipient in dental school and was forced by necessity to navigate rather blindly into the labyrinth that is the DoD. make use of this resource! read what has been previously written! toss your $0.02 in and make it worthwhile for others!

Reactions: 1 user
c'mon man... classy of you to ask for a regurgitation of everything this board is about then pick at the guy who gives it to you. Navy DDS is right and then some.

if the military (and specifically, the Navy) is something that interests you, there are many of us glad to answer questions, but you have to be willing to do you own legwork. the military has its pros and cons, but it will most assuredly steamroll those who do not read carefully and ask the right questions.

find your local Navy health services recruiter (probably just call the recruiting office for a reference) and start with them. bring your questions back for corroboration and expansion. that's why I still frequent this board - I had tons of questions when I was a scholarship recipient in dental school and was forced by necessity to navigate rather blindly into the labyrinth that is the DoD. make use of this resource! read what has been previously written! toss your $0.02 in and make it worthwhile for others!
I know. I totally hear you. But if you read my post, you will see that I mentioned that I realize it was repetitive but the information was easy enough for someone who knew what they were talking about. You didn't have to answer anything that was in the thread already, and I would have found it had you not. I do appreciate the response though, so thanks.

I wanted to know the basics so I would know how interested I really am before talking to a recruiter. That was the next step. I figured I should know some basic information before going to someone like that, which is precisely why I asked the questions here first. I also thought that a recruiter's job is to recruit, whereas the information here should be much more objective.