Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any general tips for students on rotations? Some do's, don'ts, or amusing stories from your own personal experiences? Anything really...you must have some interesting stories from when you were doing rotations as a student...

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, elaborate on your inability to match into ortho. Why couldn't you? Did you try again/would you be able to ameliorate your application to get in had you applied again? Thanks.

Then what is all this talk of clinical IR like at BCVI or is that the exception and not the norm?

They are the exception. They are what IR used to be. Really, they dominate their hospital and are absolutely amazing, but that is not what it is like in the real world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any general tips for students on rotations? Some do's, don'ts, or amusing stories from your own personal experiences? Anything really...you must have some interesting stories from when you were doing rotations as a student...

Well, sometimes you will end up on rotations with other med students who are extremely shy. You will try to be sure they don't get cheated out of going to surgeries and the surgery residents will see that as a sign of weakness.

Another thing. Whatever rotation you are on, you should say you are going into that rotation. At USC the only people who got honors in OB/gyn were the peopel who went into OB/gyn (or said they were considering it)

If you can, elaborate on your inability to match into ortho. Why couldn't you? Did you try again/would you be able to ameliorate your application to get in had you applied again? Thanks.

1. Didn't have any research.

2. I was told I would get into a better program than USC. I took that at it's word and didn't apply to to many places.

did you have any research at all, or just no ortho research?

Guessing that was a dumb question. I legitimately do not know though, just curious.

He means read the thread and not just come to the last page and post a question without doing any legwork on your own. He has answered this question before, you lazy slut. This is the second time in two threads which I am following that you have been so recklessly lazy or just arrogant.

He means read the thread and not just come to the last page and post a question without doing any legwork on your own. He has answered this question before, you lazy slut. This is the second time in two threads which I am following that you have been so recklessly lazy or just arrogant.

internet tough guy huh. little confusing that he had 5 pubs but later says he didnt have any research, just trying to clarify here.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadava Reviva
Dear Jalby
Should I fake my orgasms?
Thanks!

Sometimes I do. It's just easier and you get bored. So in short, yes, especially if you are a girl. Then if you are mad at a guy, you can fake a lot less of them and he will think that he is not as good anymore or his unit isn't functioning as well. You can play great mind games with that.

Thanks!
I guess I'll just moan and spit on her back, then.

What wine do you recommend to go with bacon and eggs?
I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Don't mention Mimosas; I don't dillute my wine with anything but brandy.

What wine do you recommend to go with bacon and eggs?
I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Don't mention Mimosas; I don't dillute my wine with anything but brandy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfz4jdXjjs[/YOUTUBE]

skip the first minute

(answer: buttery chardonnay)

Members don't see this ad :)
They are the exception. They are what IR used to be. Really, they dominate their hospital and are absolutely amazing, but that is not what it is like in the real world.

What's your take on the DR job market present and future (I like rads a lot but not enough if I don't have a job)? Appreciate all the insight.

Hey Jalby, do you have any advice, words of encouragement/caution, etc for students who failed Step 1 or are just trying to get by?

I've heard everything from "just do better next time and have a perfect 3rd and 4th year and you'll be okay", to "even if you score high on your retake, pg's will think your high score is an anomaly", and "you can still get a residency but probably only in BFE".

It's hard to get a perspective on what I can still do or look forward to.

What's your take on the DR job market present and future (I like rads a lot but not enough if I don't have a job)? Appreciate all the insight.

It is pretty bad right now. I have a lot of friends who can't find jobs. I don't really expect it to improve much with all the reform coming through.

Hey Jalby, do you have any advice, words of encouragement/caution, etc for students who failed Step 1 or are just trying to get by?

I've heard everything from "just do better next time and have a perfect 3rd and 4th year and you'll be okay", to "even if you score high on your retake, pg's will think your high score is an anomaly", and "you can still get a residency but probably only in BFE".

It's hard to get a perspective on what I can still do or look forward to.

I'm not exactly the person to give overly sunny opinions (see above)

Honestly, you can still be a good doctor, but your fields will be limited. Every single fellowship asked for my USMLE scores. I would just study only from first aid and do questions and nothing else. All you need to do is pass, not get all the little small details. Be sure you know the big stuff and know that well.

Family Med, pathology, internal medicine are all great fields in and of themselves.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfz4jdXjjs[/YOUTUBE]

skip the first minute

(answer: buttery chardonnay)

Wow! :eek: So fast! You truly earned my respect.
I now revere you.
'tis true we can really ask you anything.
Well, you sure passed my test. :thumbup:
Thank you! I will no longer have to go to morning classes sober.
Regards.

It is pretty bad right now. I have a lot of friends who can't find jobs. I don't really expect it to improve much with all the reform coming through.

Is that because they are limiting their choices to coastal cities (i.e. la, sf, nyc, dc, boston) and are not even considering the southeast, south, midwest, and great plains or is it just bad all over?

Jalby, As a current Carib student, what are your observations (if any) on how we portray ourselves (may, it be through our work ethic, competency, and personality) on rotations, residency and/or internships.

Wow! :eek: So fast! You truly earned my respect.
I now revere you.
'tis true we can really ask you anything.
Well, you sure passed my test. :thumbup:
Thank you! I will no longer have to go to morning classes sober.
Regards.

No problem. I am just here to help.

Is that because they are limiting their choices to coastal cities (i.e. la, sf, nyc, dc, boston) and are not even considering the southeast, south, midwest, and great plains or is it just bad all over?

There are jobs out there, but none in anyplace that anybody wants to live. If you want to go to Big Stone gap viriginia, you can totally be a radiologist. If you want to be in the suburbs of any major city, it is rough.

Jalby, As a current Carib student, what are your observations (if any) on how we portray ourselves (may, it be through our work ethic, competency, and personality) on rotations, residency and/or internships.

The only Caribs i know were surgery interns, and they were gunners who would stab anybody in the back and were not as good or competant as other residents. Someone I know who went to Ross said his third 3 surgery rotation sonsisted of one gallbladder and a peri-rectal abcess. Nothing more.

Jalby,

I am going to my first two interviews next week. I am preparing by mock interviews, video recording myself, covering all the general questions, and reading about Obama care. Any tips you have that I might have not covered?

whats your take on med students fornicating with the nurses? a no-no?

Jalby,

I am going to my first two interviews next week. I am preparing by mock interviews, video recording myself, covering all the general questions, and reading about Obama care. Any tips you have that I might have not covered?

Approach every interview thinkinking about why the person interviewing you might like that school (i.e. an attending might like it because of the research, a black female medical student might like the diversity. I personally liked USC b/c of Los Angeles) If it is not to ackward, try to mention these things as the reason you like the school. i.e. in my time I would have said I am applying to Keck because they just got a lot of great research money and I think there will be lots of opportunities to do great research or something like that.

whats your take on med students fornicating with the nurses? a no-no?

Just know that the nurses are all a lot better friends with the residents than with you. If you fornicate and then hurt feelings, they will try to be sure that the residents know that the nureses hate you and you shouldn't get the position. Other than that, I am all for it.

Jalby, I have gone overboard on the cocaine again and have another hooker corpse to dispose. What chemical liquifies bones again?

Jalby, will doctors, as a whole, ever unite and man-up to say f*ck you to the government and/or private insurance and take back medicine? Ever?

(note: personal optimism, on a scale between 1-10, with 10 being "Muthaf***in' right we will", and 1 being Charlie Sheen someday NOT winning, is somewhere near the average January temp. in Yakutsk, Russia)

Ok, but do you know how to get to Sesame Street?

Jalby, I have gone overboard on the cocaine again and have another hooker corpse to dispose. What chemical liquifies bones again?

Wow. This ask anything really is turning into anything.

What you are looking for is called alkaline hyrolysis. It is a process that uses lye, 300 degree heat, and 60 psi. It is normally used to get rid of animal carcasses and done in a specially designed steel machine. Unfortunately, you cannot do this at home or in the motel where the body currently is. I would recommend checking out your local big cities animal control center.

BTW, Dexter comes back in about 3 weeks. I am sure you are looking forward to it.

Jalby, will doctors, as a whole, ever unite and man-up to say f*ck you to the government and/or private insurance and take back medicine? Ever?

(note: personal optimism, on a scale between 1-10, with 10 being "Muthaf***in' right we will", and 1 being Charlie Sheen someday NOT winning, is somewhere near the average January temp. in Yakutsk, Russia)

Never. What are we going to do??? strike??? The only thing I can see doctors doing is forming their own insurance companies so that they will cut out that middle man. i.e. 100 doctors buy a hospital, go to the local residents, and offer them plans at this hospital.

I know a lot of doctors don't like Obamacare because it cuts reimbursements for a lot of things MD's shouldn't have been charging for, but having an individual mandate would be one of the best things for medicine. That would make it so there is no such thing as a free visit to the ED.

Jalby, what ever happened to ApacheIndian? Has he stopped drinking the radiology kool-aid?

Jalby, should personality play a major role in deciding which specialty you want to go into? I'm interested in surgery/surgical subspecialties, but every attending I've talked to so far just looks at me and says "I don't see you as a ____, but I can see you as an Anesthesiologist"...

I guess I'm a pretty easy going guy, so I don't really mind working with odd personalities as long as I get to be in the OR and cut/suture stuff. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to become meaner in order to be a good surgeon...?

Never. What are we going to do??? strike??? The only thing I can see doctors doing is forming their own insurance companies so that they will cut out that middle man. i.e. 100 doctors buy a hospital, go to the local residents, and offer them plans at this hospital.

I know a lot of doctors don't like Obamacare because it cuts reimbursements for a lot of things MD's shouldn't have been charging for, but having an individual mandate would be one of the best things for medicine. That would make it so there is no such thing as a free visit to the ED.

South Korean physicians went on strike in 2000. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11075783
Maybe we should do the same to get what we want. :cool:

Jalby, will residency spots increase significantly in the future? (I'm an IMG)

Wow. This ask anything really is turning into anything.

What you are looking for is called alkaline hyrolysis. It is a process that uses lye, 300 degree heat, and 60 psi. It is normally used to get rid of animal carcasses and done in a specially designed steel machine. Unfortunately, you cannot do this at home or in the motel where the body currently is. I would recommend checking out your local big cities animal control center.

BTW, Dexter comes back in about 3 weeks. I am sure you are looking forward to it.

You just need some HF and a PTFE or teflon garbage can.

Jalby, will residency spots increase significantly in the future? (I'm an IMG)

I doubt it. There are plenty of Family Med and Internal medicine spots out there. The specialties job markets are saturated.

Jalby, should personality play a major role in deciding which specialty you want to go into? I'm interested in surgery/surgical subspecialties, but every attending I've talked to so far just looks at me and says "I don't see you as a ____, but I can see you as an Anesthesiologist"...

I guess I'm a pretty easy going guy, so I don't really mind working with odd personalities as long as I get to be in the OR and cut/suture stuff. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to become meaner in order to be a good surgeon...?

Personality does matter a lot. They need to see that you are willing to work hard, do all the things required, and a lot more. Certain specialties have certain pluses and minuses, and peoples personalities tend to dovetail nicely into those things. So a surgeon really needs to be high strung and always pushing or they won't be an effective resident at all.

Jalby, is it polite to tell my roommate and his new-found girlfriend to stop being so ****ing loud in the living room or should I buy earplugs and/or go sleep in the library?

Personality does matter a lot. They need to see that you are willing to work hard, do all the things required, and a lot more. Certain specialties have certain pluses and minuses, and peoples personalities tend to dovetail nicely into those things. So a surgeon really needs to be high strung and always pushing or they won't be an effective resident at all.

Isn't the academic setting very different?

I think the difference in personality between academic and PP physicians is probably as big as inter-specialty differences.

Hey thanks for the reply. I can definitely see the "high strung and always pushing" personality in surgeons, now that you mention it. When they want something, they always want it done right away and done the way they want it. And when something doesn't happen the way they want, they'll call you out and set you straight right then and there (I know from experience haha).

Anyway, so far I've just let it roll off my shoulders and stuck with it because I think surgery is really something I want to do. But, personality wise, maybe I'm not cut out for it. I think I'm too easy going, whatever happens happens, if something doesn't work out the way I want then I'll find another way... etc.

Jalby, do you have any suggestions on specialties that might fit my more laid-back personality? I like procedures, but Anesthesiology isn't really appealing to me at the moment. Anything else I should check out?

Jalby, do you know of any female physician's who give prostate exams?

Jalby, is it polite to tell my roommate and his new-found girlfriend to stop being so ****ing loud in the living room or should I buy earplugs and/or go sleep in the library?

Get yourself a girlfriend or get yourself some lube. Don't hate on another person just because they are getting some. The only exception is if it is after midnight or something like that.

One thing you can do to help the situation. Whenever they are getting busy, turn up your radio to Nine Inch Nails song "Closer." That is the song with the line "I want to **** you like an animal"

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't the academic setting very different?

I think the difference in personality between academic and PP physicians is probably as big as inter-specialty differences.

Absolutely not.