Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you think is the single post important factor in an application for fellowship? grades(step3,don't know what else)?LORs?connections?diversity of location/applicant?

Connections. Go to the place that has the best residency in the location you want to live your life. It is a lot better to have a phone call from someone that the fellowship director knows than having gone to a much better place. I found that out when I applied to Ortho and one program took people who rotated there over me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you could go back, would you still pick medicine?

If so, if you could go back, would you still pick radiology?

Yes. I am about 30% more attractive as a doctor than any other profession.

I don't know.

i sprained my ankle two years ago and managed it conservatively - in the future if i make friends with the folks in the rad cave can i get a free after hours MRI when theres nothing going on just because im curious what it looks like

is that something that can be done without getting in trouble

A question must include a question mark.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats my point...you were a pre med too. You asked stupid questions too. You probably clung to advice you got on here as well....but now that you are 1-2 years removed from that environment, its "pfff, stupid pre med. Why do you ask such stupid questions."

You can either give advice to those 'stupid' questions knowing that you probably thought the same thing at some point in your life, or you can join the likes of the OP, and ridicule anybody who happened to be born a few years later than you and hence is a few years behind in the same education that you are getting. It doesnt make any sense....except that it gives your ego a nice pat on the back. In additin, if the pre allo forum really gets on your nerves........stop VOLUNTARILY going to it.

Yes, my ego does feel a little bit bigger. And I still thought they were stupid questions when I was a pre-med.

Aren't you tired of training yet bro?

Long time no exist dong. I have fallen off the wagon :( tears. Not living on the beach stops my incentive from running 12 miles a day.

Take your pick or answer them all!

1.) From your experience just how important are the objective factors like grades and Steps as compared to the subjective ones like personality, interviewing and practical skill?

2.) Why did you choose radiology?

3.) What was the most idiotic thing you witnessed from a premed / MS? How about the most impressive?

4.) If you could have a do-over for anything that happened in your career, what would it be?

1. USMLE is the key to every little thing. Personality and interviewing comes second. Spend every day of your first two years studying for that test and nothing else.

2. It choose me.

3. A guy who planted listening devices in another medical students room that he liked. And most impressive goes to the douchebags who dated some of the hottest girls in my class.

4. Not try to be a football player as a freshman in college so I would have studied more and not had a 2.7 in my first two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok since me and jalby are homies, have the same step 1 score, his advice helped get into derm, I'm derm and have more free time then him, finishing residency soon and gonna be balling banging models. I'll step in for him until he comes back. Ask away.

Me and Dong do go waaaayyyyyy back.... I think my advice was more usefull back in the day. Now I am a jaded spitfull person.

If I don't want to do derm, does that make me an idiot?

The people at my program who wanted to do derm with one or three exception were the most cut throat ruthless annoying people in the school. So if you want to do derm, that most likely means you are a douchebag. Actually a smart douchebag, because really, every med student should be trying to do derm. But just don't be evil.

Reactions: 1 user
Which field of medicine will be making the most money per hour 10 years down the road?

I have no idea. If you know, tell me and I will do another residency. I think everything will go down, what matters will be what goes down the least.

LD is awesome. I remember reading his old posts when I was studying for Step 1. Dude is a beast.

I remember Dong reading my posts while he was studying for step 1....

ok, srs question ld. Do you feel any stigma for being a male in derm? Do you get 5hit from your non-derm colleagues?

what the f!*@#$& is the title of this thread!!!!! Just because i actually do have a life banging models doesn't mean long dong gets to take over the thread!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I've always wanted to pick a specialty like g-surg, but now have Long Dong envy. What is the cure?

Alright, if you have long dong envy, the first thing you should do is buy a new sports care. If that doesn't cure it, get a gym membership and a personal trainer. Wait 3 years. Then get tight shirts and go to the clubs and spend $300 on bottle service. That should cure your problem.

I don't know if I'll be superstar-enough to be able to match in dermatology. I might have to weep bitter tears and pick something else. What might that be?

If you can't do Derm consider PM and R

Where is ApacheIndian when you need him? That would make this thread much more epic.

You remember that can you threw in the sewer that had clearly marked signs saying it drained to the Ocean???? That was the last straw and ApacheIndian died. Actually, I killed him. That is why I have been gone.

I don't get all this crap about pick up lines? Walk up and say hi....

It doesn't matter what you say to a girl, it matters how hot you are while saying it.

Alright, real question, Long. Let's talk about the ROAD to happiness? How valid is it still? Now, no one would argue that rads and derm still are great specialties to go into. But why does ophtho make the cut while ENT and urology don't? What's so special about it? And isn't gas going down the toilet quickly? Is there gonna need to be a new acronym created to reflect the changing times?

This questions requires to much thought for me at 12:34 in the morning. Try again when I give a...

What about Emergency medicine LD? 12-15 shifts a month, around 250-275K? Not that same money as ROAD, but seems like a legit field.

The problem with ED is people get burnt out. Try finding a 50 year old ED doc. The oldest in my ED is about 45.

LongDong, I'm a third year who came to Derm late. I have a Step I score between 250-260, all preclinical Honors (if that's even worth much), and all A's during third year but no "Honors", and non-AOA unfortunately. I have two non-derm pubs pending, and am hopefully starting to work with a dermatopathologist on some research, but I'm a little worried that this won't lead to anything publishable in the near future. I also did a case report write up/presentation recently in Derm.

I know you're a big proponent of "who you know." I'm definitely trying to get to know the Derm faculty at my school now, but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compared to people who knew the wanted Derm from day 1. Additionally, my amount of research pales in comparison to a lot of successful matches, even though I'm still working on that. I know you got into Derm late in the game as well . . . what advice do you have to maximize my chances of matching into Derm in the upcoming cycle?

Thanks.

Kiss ass. AOA and step 1 will make up for your lack of prior kissing. I think you would still get a spot without a problem.

And to piggyback off this, how do you go about getting to know faculty? Show up and say hi?

Ask to meet with the program director. Set up an appointment. Ask him if there is anybody who could mentor you or has research.

I started by emailing the head of the Derm program and asking him if I could meet with him to discuss my interest in the field. I think that's a reasonable way to start off, no?

Nailed it...

10 days later and still no Jalby.

I got busy with interviews, then I forgot you guys existed. I honestly only logged on to look at my Georgetown post.

LD, I noticed in other posts you mentioned using review books right off the bat during med school rather than focusing too much on text books. Do you still think that's a good way to go?

Also, I never really enjoyed the movie Sixteen Candles. Will this affect my Step 1 performance?

I wonder where Long Dong got this idea???

So you think you are neurologically incapable of getting a high Step 1 score?

You don't know how to get into contact with people for research opportunities?

You don't have enough social skills to do well on rotations?

Not everybody was meant to be astronauts. Some people were made to make McDonalds french fries.

I still find this whole thread to be quite humorous. Jalby comes in saying "ask anything!" and then never returns. I wonder what happened...

I showed up the next day and couldn't find the post. I figured there was some analretentive moderator who deleted it. I moved on with life.

Man, whatever happened to good old fashioned past tense education? Do kids not learn "-ed" = past tense anymore?

That's what the little red lines underneath misspelled words are for. People evolved, with the help of computers.

You know I was wondering... if you're really into derm and say, don't have the scores or pubs, why don't people consider doing IM and then doing a fellowship into derm instead? I know it takes more time but you're still going to be making the same amount of money and living a fairly cush life afterwards. It's interesting cause no one seems to mention this route and make it seem like if you don't match out of med school you pretty much can't make it into derm at all. What say you LD?

Because the people who try and take this route wern't smart enough to get into derm in the first place.

Dear Jalby
Should I fake my orgasms?
Thanks!
:)

Sometimes I do. It's just easier and you get bored. So in short, yes, especially if you are a girl. Then if you are mad at a guy, you can fake a lot less of them and he will think that he is not as good anymore or his unit isn't functioning as well. You can play great mind games with that.

Not at all. They gave me a fellowship interview and it is a great fellowship. Can't we all let bygones be bygones???

No. At least not for the Georgetown Admissions department.

So you did research for another year, and then matched the next year?

I did research for Ortho for a year, didn't match into ortho, scrambled into radiology.

48 minutes wasted when I should have been sleeping. You guys are welcome. I'm just here to help. See you in a couple of months.

What's the plan to study for Step I during the first two years (which books), if your classes don't follow the review books too closely (eg too much detail thats not in the books according to future classes).

The problem with ED is people get burnt out. Try finding a 50 year old ED doc. The oldest in my ED is about 45.
Hey I've been reading this thread. I am a DO student, I am looking forward to getting 250+ on step1(I think it will be much easier for me than doing well on 3rd year rotations and interviews), but I am not aiming for any competitive specialties. I guess radiology might be a reach but I do not see what's the appeal if the compensation drops. I mean for some people it's easy, but anatomy is my least favorite subject and I prefer to read texts that have no pictures.

So I've been looking into ER. And I am confused why people keep saying that PMR is closer to derm than ER? I mean if you look at salaries and flexibility ER definitely beats PMR. Also some people in PMR are chronically sick and I guess I am aspie. I feel guilty "taking care" of people where you cant do something real like give them drugs for diabetes or remove skin cancer or suture lacerations. I understand PMR has "procedures" and "sports injuries" but they also have people with congenital defects or things like ALS where the doctor does "small talk" and sends them to a physical therapist. To me that is as stressful as telling someone that he has cancer and 2months to live. ER on the other hand does not deal with this type of stress just like Derm.

Is it possible that you dont see 50yo ER doctors because they find it more lucrative to avoid academic hospitals? And perhaps they are so cool that they also choose to work part-time because they have so many other things to do outside of medicine?

The path forum on this board is not exactly the most optimistic place in the world.

What do you think about orthodontists?