Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great suggestions...thank you @mcl.
Another day, I will ask about the "courtesy invitation". Not really understanding why a program will waste time, resources, and most importantly give false hope if they are not interested in a candidate. Anyway, thank you for your time.
Because if you are a student, or rotated there, and didn’t get an interview, you (the royal you, not necessarily you specifically, but probably) would complain just as loudly about NOT getting an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Because if you are a student, or rotated there, and didn’t get an interview, you (the royal you, not necessarily you specifically, but probably) would complain just as loudly about NOT getting an interview.
I totally get that. I tend to view auditions as nothing but a long interview. I think after putting all that time in, a candidate either deserves a legit interview or a face to face, "sorry, here is why you aren't for us". But PDs are humans and we all hate conflict so courtesy interviews it is ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I am too old for tantrum if didn't get interview...and old enough for a legit interview or face to face explanation....but not for the courtesy crap.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I don't know much about SDN but wanted to ask...I know applicants get screened out below a certain step 1 threshold. (like 230 or 240 or whatever). I was going through a seriously rough time in which I almost lost my soul and got mid 220s. There were a few other issues but I would rather not go into detail because they are extremely unique and I applied this cycle. I'm concerned right now. I have a strong application minus step 1 score. I am terrified that no one is going to look at my application because I will be filtered out. I feel lost and honestly really scared. I'm not an idiot. I had serious life issues that I had to confront for the first time that broke me in a really terrifying way. Can someone familiar with this process tell me how I can get past this filter? I am in between cases and cant read the whole thread. I don't want to hear "you're screwed"...please only respond if you have a suggestion for a way forward for me. If I need to call schools I will. I will do anything, all I want is for programs to just look at my application before they throw it into the garbage.

My administration is a little useless in offering guidance and my heart is sinking so I'm turning here.

Hi guys, I don't know much about SDN but wanted to ask...I know applicants get screened out below a certain step 1 threshold. (like 230 or 240 or whatever). I was going through a seriously rough time in which I almost lost my soul and got mid 220s. There were a few other issues but I would rather not go into detail because they are extremely unique and I applied this cycle. I'm concerned right now. I have a strong application minus step 1 score. I am terrified that no one is going to look at my application because I will be filtered out. I feel lost and honestly really scared. I'm not an idiot. I had serious life issues that I had to confront for the first time that broke me in a really terrifying way. Can someone familiar with this process tell me how I can get past this filter? I am in between cases and cant read the whole thread. I don't want to hear "you're screwed"...please only respond if you have a suggestion for a way forward for me. If I need to call schools I will. I will do anything, all I want is for programs to just look at my application before they throw it into the garbage.

My administration is a little useless in offering guidance and my heart is sinking so I'm turning here.

what specialty are you going into?

I desperately need advice but am too good to read a thread full of advice, and if your assessment isn't something I'd like don't you dare share it?

Sincerely brother/sister, you need to reevaluate your entire approach to self assessment

I am too old for tantrum if didn't get interview...and old enough for a legit interview or face to face explanation....but not for the courtesy crap.

"Courtesy" interview, for my program anyway, only means that the full review process isn't necessary. Of course we're going to interview all of our own students. Of course we're going to interview our externs unless something is drastically wrong (i.e., personality conflicts to the point that current residents would leave if we matched with that person or academics so far below our targets that we would never rank that person). Of course we're going to interview the Chair's college roommate's nephew.

There is no announcement that "This is a Courtesy Interview" so most of the time it's not apparent to the applicant. From the applicant's perspective, it's an interview--which means it's an opportunity. Make the most of all of them.

I desperately need advice but am too good to read a thread full of advice, and if your assessment isn't something I'd like don't you dare share it?

Sincerely brother/sister, you need to reevaluate your entire approach to self assessment

I was in between cases and didn't have the opportunity to read the whole thread. As mentioned. But thanks anyways for your judgment.

Reactions: 1 users
My program doesn't send invitations out until every applicant that meets criteria has been given a review, then we send invitations out in batches. We don't send out more invitations than we have interview slots, but some interview dates are more popular than others. If we send an invitation to someone who isn't available on an open date, we use a wait list for their preferred date. I guess as an applicant you just have to trust that programs have systems and the systems work. Yes, there are always more people who qualify than we can possibly interview--but the invitations are never sent arbitrarily in a way that disadvantage applicants whose last name start with letters S-Z.
May I know what do you mean by "in batches"? How many days apart? How many batches? Thanks!

At our program, if you are rotating with us, we give you an interview outside of our "normal" interview days. This saves the students money, because then they don't have to come back. And we view their rotation as a long interview, anyway. They appreciate it, it is more intimate than being lost in a normal interview day crowd. They still interview with the same people, and we feed them; we don't give them a tour, because they have already seen it all!! It works out well, for us, and them.

Yeah actually, I am asking for some details. Thx
Every single program will have a different answer to those questions. And the answer is likely going to be different this year than it was last year, or the year before that...or what it will be next year.

You have the most precise answer that you will get.

Meaning, some, then some more, then some more.

Some number between 1 and X

Some number between 1 and X

This about sums it up. I'm committed to not sending out more invitations than I have spots in any one batch so there's not a specific number of batches and not a particular number of invitations within each batch. Applicants don't need to fixate on programs' processes--we're all different and each one finds the way that works best for it. My answer is true for my program, but doesn't reflect the process of countless others across specialties.

Honest answer: If a program uses filters, it's not easy for an applicant to get around them since the purpose is to make our review lists more manageable. As an individual, you can definitely contact programs to express interest and let them know you'll be available to attend an interview of short notice. A phone call from a faculty member at your institution who has connections to a particular place will almost always yield results.

Of course, not all programs use filters or use them indiscriminately. It takes more time to find the people who just miss the criteria and do a deeper dive to see if they might be a good fit after all.

I don't think we're in the crazy/concerned time frame yet--MSPEs just became available today (well, technically yesterday but I that's not how I wanted to spend my Sunday). Good luck!

Hello, yesterday I was invited to one of my top choices. I immediately (within 10 minutes) logged into my ERAS account to schedule the interview but all the slots were already filled (there were only two available dates, both in October, even though they state on their website that their interviews run through January).
I already e-mailed the PC about that with no response, I tried to call today but no one answered. What else should I do? Should I e-mail the PD or try to call the other contact number they have on their website, or should I just wait for a response or for them to offer more dates on ERAS? I don't want to come across as the anxious/harassing type of candidate but it is one of my top choices and I would not want to look like the procrastinator/laid-back type either.

Thanks in advance for your input on this matter.

Last edited:
Hello, yesterday I was invited to one of my top choices. I immediately (within 10 minutes) logged into my ERAS account to schedule the interview but all the slots were already filled (there were only two available dates, both in October, even though they state on their website that their interviews run through January).
I already e-mailed the PC about that with no response, I tried to call today but no one answered. What else should I do? Should I e-mail the PD or try to call the other contact number they have on their website, or should I just wait for a response or for them to offer more dates on ERAS? I don't want to come across as the anxious/harassing type of candidate but it is one of my top choices and I would want to look like the procrastinator/laid-back type either.

Thanks in advance for your input on this matter.

It happens, probably a glitch if it filled that quickly. You’ve done what you can do (e-mail, call ONCE). You’ve gotten an invitation, just relax and wait for a response over the next few days. Don’t be that guy that calls 20 times in a day.

If you haven’t heard back by Friday or so, maybe try contacting once more but don’t expect immediate results.

Hi guys, i wanted some advice: I have had only two interviews since i submitted and getting worried especially considering my peers going into the same field have been getting multiple interviews. I applied to 29 programs with a mix of reaches and non reaches.

Will it help to submit more apps at this time or do PDs overlook it because i applied so late to these programs?

Thanks!

I applied to 90+ IM programs. I've received 2 invites from community programs, and two rejections. I'm a DO. I'm an American citizen.

When should I consider applying to FM programs as a back-up? Worst case, maybe I can SOAP into an IM program? Trying not to be an alarmist. From what I hear, it's still early.

My app: 250+ Step 1/Step 2 score pending/Passed COMLEX CS, 3 LORs uploaded on ERAS since late September, some pubs. To the best of my knowledge, I have no red flags.

[/QUOTE] JamminAndDammin said:
I received my first interview invite, today. Except I am a bit skeptical. There was no invite through ERAS or my email (gmail) address provided on my application (on ERAS). The program coordinator emailed me with another email (school edu) address, in which I used to email the program, before ERAS cycle started. Also the email has a date for my interview already selected.

I also have a very common name, ex) John Smith. In the email, my first name is mentioned.

Should I be concerned? I have responded back to the Program Coordinator's email, which confirms my date for the interview, information about the Interview day and hotel info. Basically replied saying I look forward to meeting the program.

Should I straight up ask the Program Coordinator, whether the interview was meant for me? I don't want to sound like I don't deserve the interview or am surprised by them selecting me. [/QUOTE]

You are being paranoid. You contacted them pre ERAS. They must have liked what you said. They looked for your app, and were happy. They responded to your initial email. That's all, folks.

Hey all, after all, the program replied today: "Dr. (my name), Our Coordinator (her name), has told me of her error, for which she feels very bad, and indeed, so do us all. You received a confirmation of an interview in error, as your name closely resembled that of another applicant we had invited. I have reviewed your application again just now. I want to be clear and not leave you with false hopes. Your academic record and USMLE performance are not close to the criteria we use for invitations to interview, and are even further below the caliber of individuals who match with us. Your chances of matching with us are essentially zero. I am sorry to say this, and am very sorry for our error. I recommend that your save the time and expense of coming, and accept our sincere apologies." Sincerely, Distroyer of your Jugular, MD

How do I go about, asking for financial compensation for my non refundable flight/car rental? Also can I report this to ERAS??? It's ridiculous how students are held to so many professionalism standards, while this kind of stuff occurs.

Last edited:
Hey all, after all, the program replied today: "Dr. (my name), Our Coordinator (her name), has told me of her error, for which she feels very bad, and indeed, so do us all. You received a confirmation of an interview in error, as your name closely resembled that of another applicant we had invited. I have reviewed your application again just now. I want to be clear and not leave you with false hopes. Your academic record and USMLE performance are not close to the criteria we use for invitations to interview, and are even further below the caliber of individuals who match with us. Your chances of matching with us are essentially zero. I am sorry to say this, and am very sorry for our error. I recommend that your save the time and expense of coming, and accept our sincere apologies." Sincerely, Distroyer of your Jugular, MD

How do I go about, asking for financial compensation for my non refundable flight/car rental? Also can I report this to ERAS??? It's ridiculous how students are held to so many professionalism standards, while this kind of stuff occurs.

Well that royally sucks. And it's my 4th time being wrong in 2 weeks here on SDN.

I misunderstood the situation, somewhat. You mentioned that you received your first "interview invite". I assumed that was an email saying "Hey, we'd love to interview you, here are our dates, what would you like?". If instead it was an email saying "Your interview on Oct 4th is confirmed" or otherwise had the date selected where you had no choice, then that's a different story and sadly my advice in that case would have been to contact the program and inquire.

Unfortunately, you probably have limited options for recovering any lost money. You can certainly ask them nicely, and if they were stand-up people, they will refund your costs (or perhaps contact the airlines and see if they can get some/all of your refund). You might as well start there. Send them an email back, thank them for admitting the error and being honest, but explain that you already bought non-refundable tix, etc. (Also check they are really non-refundable. On Southwest, for example, you can cancel and then just apply the credit to a flight in the future). Perhaps they will help defray your costs.

If they don't, I don't think you have many options. Sure, you could try to force them to do so -- but in that case I'd just offer to interview you, and then not rank you. You could try to sue me for bad advice, but that would probably get you just as far.

I don't think there's anything to report to ERAS. They made a mistake. They didn't violate any ERAS policy that I know of.

So, my advice, ask nicely and see what happens. But my advice last time seems to have been incorrect, so take that into account.

Well that royally sucks. And it's my 4th time being wrong in 2 weeks here on SDN.

I misunderstood the situation, somewhat. You mentioned that you received your first "interview invite". I assumed that was an email saying "Hey, we'd love to interview you, here are our dates, what would you like?". If instead it was an email saying "Your interview on Oct 4th is confirmed" or otherwise had the date selected where you had no choice, then that's a different story and sadly my advice in that case would have been to contact the program and inquire.

Unfortunately, you probably have limited options for recovering any lost money. You can certainly ask them nicely, and if they were stand-up people, they will refund your costs (or perhaps contact the airlines and see if they can get some/all of your refund). You might as well start there. Send them an email back, thank them for admitting the error and being honest, but explain that you already bought non-refundable tix, etc. (Also check they are really non-refundable. On Southwest, for example, you can cancel and then just apply the credit to a flight in the future). Perhaps they will help defray your costs.

If they don't, I don't think you have many options. Sure, you could try to force them to do so -- but in that case I'd just offer to interview you, and then not rank you. You could try to sue me for bad advice, but that would probably get you just as far.

I don't think there's anything to report to ERAS. They made a mistake. They didn't violate any ERAS policy that I know of.

So, my advice, ask nicely and see what happens. But my advice last time seems to have been incorrect, so take that into account.

Thanks for the advice, I avoided contact with the program, today, as I was busy with other work. And didn't want to send an unprofessional message. I will send them my receipts and see what can be done. I don't have ill feelings towards them, as I understand errors occur, just wish I can get some compensation. Also, you are still in the top 3 for giving advice on these forums, we appreciate your advice.

Hello!

Thank you for this forum. I was sent an email from current number 1 program that stated they would review my application pending receipt of MSPE. IT is now 4 days post MSPE release; at what point is it acceptable to reach out and inquire whether I warrant an IV?

Hello!

Thank you for this forum. I was sent an email from current number 1 program that stated they would review my application pending receipt of MSPE. IT is now 4 days post MSPE release; at what point is it acceptable to reach out and inquire whether I warrant an IV?

In my opinion, a week or so. The PD may not review things until the weekend when they aren't working, for example.

Do you guys think it's worth emailing programs that I just received a passing Step 3 score? Updated the USMLE transcript already on ERAS but was just wondering if you guys think it's worth letting programs know about that. Still sitting on 0 interviews so kinda freaking out here.

Thanks for the advice, I avoided contact with the program, today, as I was busy with other work. And didn't want to send an unprofessional message. I will send them my receipts and see what can be done. I don't have ill feelings towards them, as I understand errors occur, just wish I can get some compensation. Also, you are still in the top 3 for giving advice on these forums, we appreciate your advice.

I might not send actual receipts -- at least not yet. Send them a professionally worded email saying it's unfortunate it was a mistake, because you were very interested in the program, but that you understand their decision and appreciate their honesty. However, because of the interview offer, you went ahead and arranged travel which now is non-refundable. This is really unfortunate, as their inadvertent error has a financial cost to you. You ask them to consider at least partially defraying your loss, as the error was their responsibility. You're happy to forward receipts or other documentation as necessary. Yada yada. Sending receipts directly can come across as demanding, and I think you're better off taking the high road here (at least to start) and see what they say.

If they decline, then you can decide whether you want to get more aggressive about it.

Hello!

More than 4 days. There's many applications to review.

Hey everyone!
I looked back at last year's IM residency interview invite thread and saw that most people reporting in invitations for various institutions all seem to report them on the same day for a given school, especially if post-MSPE release.

Previous threads seem mixed about whether all the interview invites for a given institution go out on one day (and those who get a later date usually got someone else's cancellation) or whether they're sent out in multiple batches.
Is there a general answer or is it really program dependent?
Thank you!

Do you guys think it's worth emailing programs that I just received a passing Step 3 score? Updated the USMLE transcript already on ERAS but was just wondering if you guys think it's worth letting programs know about that. Still sitting on 0 interviews so kinda freaking out here.
I don't think emails like this are helpful. Passing S3 isn't a huge bump for your application. Any program who is interested will filter based upon it, and will see your application. That said, emailing programs is unlikely to hurt you -- anyone who is "annoyed" by your email probably wasn't going to interview you anyway.

Bottom line: I don't think it will make any difference. I might wait until early next week -- if no news then, reach out and see what happens.

Hey everyone!
I looked back at last year's IM residency interview invite thread and saw that most people reporting in invitations for various institutions all seem to report them on the same day for a given school, especially if post-MSPE release.

Previous threads seem mixed about whether all the interview invites for a given institution go out on one day (and those who get a later date usually got someone else's cancellation) or whether they're sent out in multiple batches.
Is there a general answer or is it really program dependent?
Thank you!

It's program dependent. Programs using an electronic system (ERAS, InterviewBroker, etc) might do it all at once, because why not? Programs using old fashioned "call us to schedule" will probably release in waves. The thread (esp last year's) is probably the best way to know for any specific program, although a program might change what they did last year.

It's program dependent. Programs using an electronic system (ERAS, InterviewBroker, etc) might do it all at once, because why not? Programs using old fashioned "call us to schedule" will probably release in waves. The thread (esp last year's) is probably the best way to know for any specific program, although a program might change what they did last year.

Makes sense. Thank you very much for answering my question!

Couple questions regarding letter of interest:

1) after you received an interview invite from a program, is it ok to send a letter of interest to another program that is in the same health system (for example Mount Sinai at St Luke's-Roosevelt & Mount Sinai)? not sure if there's communication among PDs/PCs/faculty between the two programs about their applicants? I don't want make the program that sent the invite feel like it is a backup/second choice or something

2) how long should the letter of interest be ideally? obviously not another PS type of thing...but what about 1/4 of it (like a paragraph long or is that too long as well)? I would like to know how much can PDs/PCs tolerate - definitely do not want them to get annoyed

3) for me personally, i am writing the letter to programs where I do not have connection or tie to, but I truly love the area/city (like want to live there for years). most of those programs are pretty well-respected with good reputation that i am sure i will get good training one way or another, so i don't have huge preferences among those programs (aka the location is more important to me). So in my letter, how much should I focus on that I like the location of the program vs. the program itself? I don't know if PDs/PCs will get annoyed if I show a lot more interests in the location compared to all the other aspects of the program.

Thanks in advance!

1) after you received an interview invite from a program, is it ok to send a letter of interest to another program that is in the same health system (for example Mount Sinai at St Luke's-Roosevelt & Mount Sinai)? not sure if there's communication among PDs/PCs/faculty between the two programs about their applicants? I don't want make the program that sent the invite feel like it is a backup/second choice or something

2) how long should the letter of interest be ideally? obviously not another PS type of thing...but what about 1/4 of it (like a paragraph long or is that too long as well)? I would like to know how much can PDs/PCs tolerate - definitely do not want them to get annoyed

3) for me personally, i am writing the letter to programs where I do not have connection or tie to, but I truly love the area/city (like want to live there for years). most of those programs are pretty well-respected with good reputation that i am sure i will get good training one way or another, so i don't have huge preferences among those programs (aka the location is more important to me). So in my letter, how much should I focus on that I like the location of the program vs. the program itself? I don't know if PDs/PCs will get annoyed if I show a lot more interests in the location compared to all the other aspects of the program.

Thanks in advance!

I would not be sending a letter of interest, particularly if you already have an invite. Use the invite to show your interest.

Thanks in advance!

It's perfectly OK to let other programs in the geographic region know that you'll be interviewing in the area and are very interested in their program. Give the date or date range, and add that you'll be available on short notice--you might very well pick up an interview from a late cancellation. It definitely doesn't need to be a formal letter, or more than a couple of sentences long. Think of it as a fishing expedition.

Are residency coordinators or directors able to see that you rescheduled your interview for their program to a later date on thalamus than what you originally signed up for? Does this reflect negatively on an applicant?

Are residency coordinators or directors able to see that you rescheduled your interview for their program to a later date on thalamus than what you originally signed up for? Does this reflect negatively on an applicant?

My program uses Thalamus. As far as I can tell, I don't get a separate notification when someone changes--I have to be proactive and check. No, it does not reflect negatively. Since no one has a crystal ball, it's impossible to know with certainty what your travel schedule is going to look like and when the most convenient date will be to interview. If you need to reschedule and there's space on a preferred date, there's no harm in making the change.

If you cancel interviews do you also withdraw your eras application?

For our program, if you are canceling your interview, and not planning on interview at all, as opposed to wanting to reschedule, I ask that you please mark your application as "withdrawn by applicant". If you do not, then the stupid filters still pop you up as "selected to interview, invited to interview, not scheduled". It just makes my life easier.

Great suggestions...thank you @mcl.
Another day, I will ask about the "courtesy invitation". Not really understanding why a program will waste time, resources, and most importantly give false hope if they are not interested in a candidate. Anyway, thank you for your time.

I totally get that. I tend to view auditions as nothing but a long interview. I think after putting all that time in, a candidate either deserves a legit interview or a face to face, "sorry, here is why you aren't for us". But PDs are humans and we all hate conflict so courtesy interviews it is ;)

Along these general lines, if a student's grades/step/etc falls below what a program typically interviews/matches, would the program still accept said student for audition? It seems that it would be a waste of time for the student to audition at a place where he/she had no chance to begin with, and that time would be better served auditioning at a program that the student could match to?
Is there a way to figure this info out before scheduling aways? I was looking at FREIDA, but not all programs report their interview/match statistics.

Along these general lines, if a student's grades/step/etc falls below what a program typically interviews/matches, would the program still accept said student for audition? It seems that it would be a waste of time for the student to audition at a place where he/she had no chance to begin with, and that time would be better served auditioning at a program that the student could match to?
Is there a way to figure this info out before scheduling aways? I was looking at FREIDA, but not all programs report their interview/match statistics.
In many (most large?) programs, med student rotations and residency applications are run by completely separate groups of people and being selected to rotate there as an M4 by Dr. X the clerkship director will have no bearing on being selected to interview there by Dr. Y, the program director. In a perfect world, the two would be in sync (and often are), but not always.

And no, there's no real way to know this ahead of time. Life is full of risks...you (the royal you, not necessarily you specifically) need to get more comfortable with that.

Reactions: 4 users
In many (most large?) programs, med student rotations and residency applications are run by completely separate groups of people and being selected to rotate there as an M4 by Dr. X the clerkship director will have no bearing on being selected to interview there by Dr. Y, the program director. In a perfect world, the two would be in sync (and often are), but not always..

Our program actually merged the residency education office and the med student clerkship office into the same space so that conversations like this (and others) can happen.

Still, I don't think we'd ever stop somebody from coming out to rotate based on their CV; if somebody wants to come see our place for a month, and we can accomodate, then nobody will stop them. And really, it shouldn't matter what a program thinks before you show up --- you should go rotate where you want and show them what you've got to offer! It can only help if you didn't have a "chance to begin with" -- We've matched plenty of folks who didn't have the "numbers" but rotated with us and impressed whoeever they worked with.

I forgot to assign my photo to programs until today. Luckily, I was notified before my first interview next week. I was wondering if some programs were not reviewing my application because it is “incomplete” during this time. Everything else was uploaded before MSPE went out.

I forgot to assign my photo to programs until today. Luckily, I was notified before my first interview next week. I was wondering if some programs were not reviewing my application because it is “incomplete” during this time. Everything else was uploaded before MSPE went out.

We interview people without photos, but they stand out more on interview day because we have to seek them out since we haven't seen their faces before. So you're probably fine now that you have yours up.

Silly question, I know, but:

So, I have received an interview invitation from my number 1 prelim program. I didn’t really answer to their confirmation email because I thought the PC would not like receiving a thank you email along with the really important emails. Now the PC emailed me saying: you may or may not have received this information, so this is to make sure you did. Already sent and email acknowledging it, but should I send another one saying I’m sorry I didn’t reply at first?