Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You've posted a variant of this question multiple times now. I don't think there's anything that we can say at this point that is going to ease your concerns.

There is no one answer when someone asks "will I be screened out for X," because each program decides on their own how to screen their applications. Some programs may screen you out because of a failed clerkship. Others won't and will give you an interview based on how strong the rest of your application is. All you can do is do your best going forward, and maybe apply slightly more broadly than you would have without having a fail on your transcript.

Finally, as others have said in your thread, when you're asked about this in an interview setting definitely don't say that you failed for "nothing outrageous at all." You may well be correct that you just got screwed by a subjective evaluation, but taking that stance really does not come across well. The only answer is, "I had X problem on my peds rotation, I took it as a learning experience, and I performed much better on the rest of my rotations with glowing evaluations."

I appreciate the input. I know i've asked about this multiple times, but after doing some more reading on residency applications I was curious about what criteria specifically could be screened.

Regarding my "nothing outrageous at all" comment. I'm aware that it's not an appropriate thing to say when explaining the failure during an interview, and I plan on providing a more constructive explanation. I just stated that responding to the person who asked about it.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

@SimonGuyman133 the programs can screen for anything they want to. There are filters that catch a lot of it, and then review by the committee/PD/PC will screen for everything else.

Now, if that will hurt you or not is not possible for us to determine. Are you applying to Pedi? Then it might be a flag. Are you applying to a specialty that does not ever treat kids? Then not so much of a flag. Is this something that might delay your graduation? Then a flag.

So, Stop panicking. Work on what you are going to say if you are asked about it during an interview. Being flippant or too casual is not good. You need to show that you have learned from that experience, and have applied that lesson.

Reactions: 1 user
PDs and PCs thanks again for your help this year and in previous years.

I have had small interactions with a few PDs at regional conferences that I've attended in the past 2 years and have been memorable enough that they always recognize me and greet me. At the last conference I attended earlier this year I mentioned to some of the PDs individually that I was going to be in this year's match and interested in their program. A few told me to email them directly, and have given me their cards/emails, when I put my application in. While I haven't reached out directly (yet), I have not been offered interviews at their programs or been rejected, I'm assuming they are still reviewing applications, my applications were submitted on time. Should I reach out to these PDs directly now, especially now that my ECFMG certificate has arrived as of a few days ago? Also, I may see some of them in an upcoming regional conference, would it be better to wait and approach them in person if they are there? Both? Thank you.

@killerleaf @GoSpursGo @rokshana

I contacted the PDs I had interacted with and was offered interviews most are on waitlists, I know spots will open up so I'm very happy. Thank you again for your replies and advice.

Dear PD/PC,

I had asked initially about the timing of sending out the emails of interest.
Taking into account the advice I received here, I haven't sent any till now. I only have 1 interview so far.
I am planning to send them now, assuming that now is an appropriate time for it.
I have an LoR from my observership in September due. The letter should be uploaded on Monday hopefully but for it be released, it will still take a day or two more.
So my query is do I wait for the letter to be uploaded and released and then send my LOI's - this would be around 6th or 7th of November?
Or do I just go ahead and send emails irrespective of the LOR without mentioning it.
I am concerned that if I delay in sending the emails anymore, it might be wasted as a lot of people have already sent their emails and I might miss my chance to get any interviews in the second round.
Thank you in advance for your help!

What would happen if I withdraw out of the match now and applied next year?

Which programs 'remember' or have a record of me applying? All programs I applied to, those that I was invited to interview with, or those who I actually interviewed with this cycle?

If I withdraw, would these programs see that I withdrew when they get their match list this March? I was reading something that they can see where every person that they ranked was matched.

Dear PD/PC,

I had asked initially about the timing of sending out the emails of interest.
Taking into account the advice I received here, I haven't sent any till now. I only have 1 interview so far.
I am planning to send them now, assuming that now is an appropriate time for it.
I have an LoR from my observership in September due. The letter should be uploaded on Monday hopefully but for it be released, it will still take a day or two more.
So my query is do I wait for the letter to be uploaded and released and then send my LOI's - this would be around 6th or 7th of November?
Or do I just go ahead and send emails irrespective of the LOR without mentioning it.
I am concerned that if I delay in sending the emails anymore, it might be wasted as a lot of people have already sent their emails and I might miss my chance to get any interviews in the second round.
Thank you in advance for your help!
While it's certainly fair to send letters now, the difference between 11/3 and 11/6 or 11/7 is essentially nil. I would wait until the letter is uploaded, but if you let them know the letter is coming out shortly that's fine too.
What would happen if I withdraw out of the match now and applied next year?

Which programs 'remember' or have a record of me applying? All programs I applied to, those that I was invited to interview with, or those who I actually interviewed with this cycle?

If I withdraw, would these programs see that I withdrew when they get their match list this March? I was reading something that they can see where every person that they ranked was matched.
As is often the case, each program is different about what information they keep from prior years. But what you said about programs seeing where the applicants they ranked matched is true--any program that ranks you would see that you withdrew (I think). Either that or they won't be able to rank you because you've withdrawn.

Either way... if you've gone on interviews, it seems completely insane to me that you would consider withdrawing for any reason other than you want to apply to a different specialty.

Dear PD/PC,

Thank you for your time in reading this question. May I ask if a candidate should be hopeful if one is called back again to the same program for an interview after not being ranked to that program the previous season? Is it safe to say that the program saw improvements in the CV and might reconsider ranking that candidate to match for this current season? Thank you very much!

Dear PD/PC,

Thank you for your time in reading this question. May I ask if a candidate should be hopeful if one is called back again to the same program for an interview after not being ranked to that program the previous season? Is it safe to say that the program saw improvements in the CV and might reconsider ranking that candidate to match for this current season? Thank you very much!
They're not going to invite you back if they didn't see something on your application that would make them consider you for a position. It would be a massive waste of their time to invite you if they already aren't planning to rank you.

Who knows why you weren't ranked last year or what they see that has them thinking differently this year, but you have another opportunity and you just need to make the best of it.

ddmd, how do you know you were not ranked? Could it be that you were, say, #7 on their list, and they actually matched 6 for 6? It is possible that they did like you very much, but they filled before they got to you. Take the opportunity to interview, and shine!

BTW, that happens more often than you think. The program is like, "we normally go down to about position 20 on our list" so they put all of their top picks in the top 20...and then have their jaws drop to the floor when they match 10 for 10. It is a weird feeling. You want to be proud, and then you are so sad that the next person on the list did not make it. (because you really would love for all of them to come to your program)

Yeah I agree. They are making it much more difficult for me I believe in an attempt to protect their own reputation and make me look worse. There’s only so much I can do regarding her support. I was targeted for removal early on as I didn’t come into residency already finishing step 3 or a foriegn medical grad practicing in another country previously. I’m a very trusting person and I took all feedback to heart. I believed everyone wanted me to succeed but could tell there were some very bitter apples. I made common mistakes and I didn’t get along with the folks here and their program didn’t have my special interests. I can and want to do much better.

Are you applying to the same specialty? Do you mean your PD won't write you a LOR or she won't actively help you get a new position? because those are two very different things... What specialty are you applying to this time and are you getting any interviews?

Dear PD/PC,
Thank you for your time answering questions.
Me and my wife told programs that we will not do couples mtach, and we did not mention that on ERAS, but now we considering it, so my question is " will program be able to see if you decided to go for couples match from the NRMP website ?" Cause I am afraid that this will affect their ranking of us.
Thanks

@L.Messi this is difficult. When we initially review applications, couples matches get extra attention. We coordinate with the other specialty, to see if they are going to invite the other half; and after, if they are going to rank them or not. There have been times that one half of the equation is awesome, and the other half is meh...but negotiations ensue, and the other program agrees to rank the other high enough to match. It is a process, and one that takes a little finesse.

To go on interviews, and then decide that you are couples matching...that can be tougher, because the "leg work" is done beforehand. This may put some programs in an awkward spot.

With this in mind....my advice would be for you and your other half to notify all of the programs at the institutions you BOTH got interviews at that you are now couples matching. Because even though you change this status in ERAS, if I have already interviewed you, I am not going to go back and look until right at Rank List time, and that is probably too late to do any negotiations.

@L.Messi this is difficult. When we initially review applications, couples matches get extra attention. We coordinate with the other specialty, to see if they are going to invite the other half; and after, if they are going to rank them or not. There have been times that one half of the equation is awesome, and the other half is meh...but negotiations ensue, and the other program agrees to rank the other high enough to match. It is a process, and one that takes a little finesse.

To go on interviews, and then decide that you are couples matching...that can be tougher, because the "leg work" is done beforehand. This may put some programs in an awkward spot.

With this in mind....my advice would be for you and your other half to notify all of the programs at the institutions you BOTH got interviews at that you are now couples matching. Because even though you change this status in ERAS, if I have already interviewed you, I am not going to go back and look until right at Rank List time, and that is probably too late to do any negotiations.
Thank you for your reply, but my question is that "when programs log in to nrmp to start ranking, will they be able to see the status of couples match from the NRMP website or they can only see it from ERAS ?"

Thank you for your reply, but my question is that "when programs log in to nrmp to start ranking, will they be able to see the status of couples match from the NRMP website or they can only see it from ERAS ?"
Wow...just wow...

Killer leaf , an actual PC, have you a very nice answer to how a program deals with couples matching and your passive/aggressive answer is this...just wow.
And she actually answered you original question that you so pointed out to her, is yes they do, not of she doesn’t know about it when they first interviewed you, then it may show up too late for them to help y’all out...

Couples matching in and of itself doesn’t change how a program will rank you or your chances of getting match since you both rank every possible combination , but obviously...at least at Killerleaf’s program, they will work with the other specialty to maximize a good candidate’s chance....if they know about it in advance...

Reactions: 1 users
On the NRMP site, all that is noted is name, rank, AAMC number, USLME number, and medical school. The only place we would see if you are or if you are not couples matching is on ERAS.

What are some reasons to invite an applicant back for 2nd interview with PD?

On the NRMP site, all that is noted is name, rank, AAMC number, USLME number, and medical school. The only place we would see if you are or if you are not couples matching is on ERAS.
I am really sorry if my reply looked like passive/aggressive, as I am really thankful for your reply, I just wanted to clarify things as very little is known regarding the couples match.
Again I am very grateful for you taking the time to answer my question, have a wonderful holiday

Wow...just wow...

Killer leaf , an actual PC, have you a very nice answer to how a program deals with couples matching and your passive/aggressive answer is this...just wow.
And she actually answered you original question that you so pointed out to her, is yes they do, not of she doesn’t know about it when they first interviewed you, then it may show up too late for them to help y’all out...

Couples matching in and of itself doesn’t change how a program will rank you or your chances of getting match since you both rank every possible combination , but obviously...at least at Killerleaf’s program, they will work with the other specialty to maximize a good candidate’s chance....if they know about it in advance...
This is not the first time I see you doing this with applicants on this forum, and I do not want get into an argument with, so please say something useful or mind your business.

• Wow
@doctorKAT We always state at the interview to let us know if you wanted to come back for a second look. and stressed that if you did or if you did not, it would not affect your ranking. Second looks are for YOU. To see how we are on a "normal" day. We used to be able to let you observe in the ORs, but that is no longer allowed, due to all the wonderful privacy laws...but you get a chance to talk to residents, and we usually try to free a couple up and take you to lunch. There have been times when arrangements were made where the interviewee and their SO stayed with a resident overnight...to see what it is really like as a resident, without any administration around. We want to make sure that you AND your SO will be happy here--otherwise, it is 4 miserable years.

This is not the first time I see you doing this with applicants on this forum, and I do not want get into an argument with, so please say something useful or mind your business.
Likely you waited too long to decide on doing a couples match...as killerleaf made mention it would have been more beneficial to have decided on it BEFORE you went through the match...do every
Permutation of matches including one of you not matching to make sure one of you matches.

If one of you is a better applicant, you may not want to couples match so you don’t drag the other one down.

And I’m sure the faqs on the nrmp website could answer this simple question.

What point put that posters here are not being appreciative of the postings of these PCs do...since they volunteer to post here?

This thread was close to being closed until killerleaf and her colleagues decided to take up the mantle of answering questions here...they stop posting and this thread no doubt will be closed.

Just following up here,
I’ve heard that the ideal length for a personal statement is a page, or around 750 characters. I was wondering if writing a longer PS would be fine if part of it explains a failure on a clerkship. I estimate 1.5 pages

Just following up here,
I’ve heard that the ideal length for a personal statement is a page, or around 750 characters. I was wondering if writing a longer PS would be fine if part of it explains a failure on a clerkship. I estimate 1.5 pages
Pare it down. If your explanation of the clerkship failure and your successful remediation is more than 3 or 4 sentences you've lost that battle.

Pare it down. If your explanation of the clerkship failure and your successful remediation is more than 3 or 4 sentences you've lost that battle.

I appreciate the response. I find that explaining the reasons in a couple sentences, along with the lessons I learned takes up a nice fat paragraph. I'm still on my first draft and of course plan on condensing it down, but I just wanted to get your input. Thanks!

I appreciate the response. I find that explaining the reasons in a couple sentences, along with the lessons I learned takes up a nice fat paragraph. I'm still on my first draft and of course plan on condensing it down, but I just wanted to get your input. Thanks!
Then those sentences are too long. Frankly, the recommendations on length are there for a reason. No matter how important your story is to you, nobody really has an attention span to read much more than a page when they have hundreds to get through.

Honestly, the odds that the reasons and lessons are anything that a PD hasn’t read before is extremely small. You need to address it, but it should be more like a footnote than it’s own paragraph. Something like, “During my IM rotation i struggled with learning how to integrate myself effectively into the team as a medical student, and my evaluations resulted in me failing the rotation. I learned how to work effectively as a member of the team and have performed much better since.” Insert your own reason and lesson, but this isn’t something you want to dwell on.

Last edited:
Then those sentences are too long. Frankly, the recommendations on length are there for a reason. No matter how important your story is to you, nobody really has an attention span to read much more than a page when they have hundreds to get through.

Honestly, the odds that the reasons and lessons are anything that a PD hasn’t read before is extremely small. You need to address it, but it should be more like a footnote than it’s own paragraph. Something like, “During my IM rotation i struggled with learning how to integrate myself effectively into the team as a medical student, and my evaluations resulted in me failing the rotation. I learned how to work effectively as a member of the team and have performed much better since.” Insert your own reason and lesson, but this isn’t something you want to dwell on.

That’s very solid advice! It makes sense not to dwell on the matter because it’ll create a negative tone.

I tried to apply to pgy2 same field by sending emails and making phone calls. They all told me they would ever take someone who quit only someone transferring for a “good reason.” So I’m trying to start over on a new path which is very difficult bc I left in October so my eras applications were late and my lor are outdated and for my previous specialty,and my personal statement was quite mediocre. No interviews so I have to soap to stop my loan payments from toppling over me. I’m looking for researchabd other jobs to stay afloat on the money situation. I don’t know what my chances are in soap and what spots to apply to since I’ll take anything right now.

What specialty are you planning to soap into? All programs will call your former PD since you quit in middle of year, did you talk to him/her to see what she will say if they call ? And what kind of repayement plan are you on? If you are on income based payment plan, you dont need to pay while you are unemployed?

ddmd, how do you know you were not ranked? Could it be that you were, say, #7 on their list, and they actually matched 6 for 6? It is possible that they did like you very much, but they filled before they got to you. Take the opportunity to interview, and shine!

Sorry had been gone for so long. well to answer the question, I was assuming I was not ranked because it was my only interview so they are the only program. Either I was not ranked or I was not ranked high enough and the positions were filled with applicants that was ranked higher than me.

Good morning Program Directors and Coordinators,
Thank you for your time and effort in answering our endless queries. It is only now that I became aware of CMS Residency Funding. My question is, if an applicant who is in a preliminary IM position applies to a 3 year categorical position, will there be a problem in getting into a 3 year program because of CMS funding? From my research, if one is entering a prelim year, his or her clock starts on the prelim year and after that, that resident will only have 2 years 100% funding. The 3rd year will be 50%. Is that something that a program looks out and affects their decision to accept a resident or no? If anyone can give information about this, it will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Usually, if you complete a prelim IM year, you often will be able to transfer into an open PGY-2 position. In that case, there is no funding issue. If you actually have to reapply again / start as a PGY-1, then yes your last year is funded 50%. Whether or not that is an issue for a program is hard to say. In general, larger programs tend to be above their residency caps, so some resident slots are unfunded and it doesn't matter at all. Smaller programs esp those that have only an IM residency will definitely feel an impact and may (or may not) consider it when considering your application. I know that's a vague answer, but it's the best I've got.

See this thread for further discussion: Applying to categorical medicine after completing a prelim year

Usually, if you complete a prelim IM year, you often will be able to transfer into an open PGY-2 position. In that case, there is no funding issue. If you actually have to reapply again / start as a PGY-1, then yes your last year is funded 50%. Whether or not that is an issue for a program is hard to say. In general, larger programs tend to be above their residency caps, so some resident slots are unfunded and it doesn't matter at all. Smaller programs esp those that have only an IM residency will definitely feel an impact and may (or may not) consider it when considering your application. I know that's a vague answer, but it's the best I've got.

See this thread for further discussion: Applying to categorical medicine after completing a prelim year

Thank you very much Doctor for your response. I really do appreciate it. This information is really very essential for me. I was offered a preliminary IM position. I accepted the offer. I was at a crossroads because having been unmatched for 4 years, it was a miracle to me that I got a position now. I was confused if I will take it because I had other interviews as well that I felt good. But then again, the match is unpredictable. I was too scared to gamble and end up with no position like how it always has been in the last 4 years. I am so thankful for this prematch position and whats good is, its my home city and i do not have to relocate. I asked the PC if I am allowed to reapply this September as PGY-1 through the match and she said I can only apply as PGY-2 in the event that a first year resident doest not continue to second year.

Now my concern is, I am thinking if i should spend again all that money on September applying to Categorical programs since I want to be in primary care knowing that programs will have a potential issue with my funding. Or should I just wait till next year and look for PGY2 position out of match. At this point, I am planning of doing both. Applying as a PGY-1 again this September, at the same time looking for PGY-2 positions. What are your thoughts Doc? Thank you very much once again. I want to believe in my heart that I had made the right decision accepting the prelim position.

Thank you very much Doctor for your response. I really do appreciate it. This information is really very essential for me. I was offered a preliminary IM position. I accepted the offer. I was at a crossroads because having been unmatched for 4 years, it was a miracle to me that I got a position now. I was confused if I will take it because I had other interviews as well that I felt good. But then again, the match is unpredictable. I was too scared to gamble and end up with no position like how it always has been in the last 4 years. I am so thankful for this prematch position and whats good is, its my home city and i do not have to relocate. I asked the PC if I am allowed to reapply this September as PGY-1 through the match and she said I can only apply as PGY-2 in the event that a first year resident doest not continue to second year.

Now my concern is, I am thinking if i should spend again all that money on September applying to Categorical programs since I want to be in primary care knowing that programs will have a potential issue with my funding. Or should I just wait till next year and look for PGY2 position out of match. At this point, I am planning of doing both. Applying as a PGY-1 again this September, at the same time looking for PGY-2 positions. What are your thoughts Doc? Thank you very much once again. I want to believe in my heart that I had made the right decision accepting the prelim position.
Frankly, after going unmatched 4 years running I don't think you can reasonably turn down any offer, prelim or otherwise. I think you definitely made the right choice.

There is no "right" answer to your question going forward. Obviously you'd prefer to just find a PGY-2 spot for the summer of 2021, graduate on time, and not spend thousands more dollars on ERAS. But clearly applying to PGY-1 positions next year in the match would maximize your chances of landing SOMEWHERE, and you may even find that you're more successful than in prior application cycles after you're able to successfully complete your first few rotations as an intern and get new letters. Nobody but you can make that decision.

Frankly, after going unmatched 4 years running I don't think you can reasonably turn down any offer, prelim or otherwise. I think you definitely made the right choice.

There is no "right" answer to your question going forward. Obviously you'd prefer to just find a PGY-2 spot for the summer of 2021, graduate on time, and not spend thousands more dollars on ERAS. But clearly applying to PGY-1 positions next year in the match would maximize your chances of landing SOMEWHERE, and you may even find that you're more successful than in prior application cycles after you're able to successfully complete your first few rotations as an intern and get new letters. Nobody but you can make that decision.

Thank you Doc for your input. I am very thankful for this offer. It is indeed a miracle to me. I do agree with your view. I could apply in the match for a categorical position at the same time be in the look out for PGY 2 positions as well. Being in a prelim program is one step ahead of fulfilling my goals.

Thank you! :)

FYI, there are some PGY-2 positions in the match. I can't promise how many of them are IM (they are often for advanced specialties), but some of them may be.

FYI, there are some PGY-2 positions in the match. I can't promise how many of them are IM (they are often for advanced specialties), but some of them may be.

Thank you for the information Doc. I will research on this more

None of them are IM. The only PGY-2 spots that are in the match are fields that match Advanced PGY-2 spots -- if one of those is open a year early, they go into the match as an "R" position rather than an "A" position.

IM PGY-2 spots are found by contacting programs and word-of-mouth. Your IM PD can help you with this, reaching out to outher programs to help find spots.

None of them are IM. The only PGY-2 spots that are in the match are fields that match Advanced PGY-2 spots -- if one of those is open a year early, they go into the match as an "R" position rather than an "A" position.

IM PGY-2 spots are found by contacting programs and word-of-mouth. Your IM PD can help you with this, reaching out to outher programs to help find spots.

Thanks a lot Doc for all your inputs!

Thanks for the correction :)

Good day everyone,
Please I will like to know if there is any possibility of a late invite coming in this last week of January/early February before I send my letter of intent to my number one program on my ROL. I received my Step 3 score (226/mean score) a few days back which I forwarded to all the programs I applied to and I am wondering if this has any potential to generate a late invite?
On that note, should I wait until the first week of February (upper week) before sending the intent letter to my number one program or should I take a preemptive step by sending the intent letter tomorrow?
Final question before I exit,
how valuable is Step 3 to programs in making their rank order lists?

Your inputs will be much appreciated!

Thanks...
Since programs really put no weight on those letters, send it whenever you want...if it makes you feel better.

Good day everyone,
Please I will like to know if there is any possibility of a late invite coming in this last week of January/early February before I send my letter of intent to my number one program on my ROL. I received my Step 3 score (226/mean score) a few days back which I forwarded to all the programs I applied to and I am wondering if this has any potential to generate a late invite?
On that note, should I wait until the first week of February (upper week) before sending the intent letter to my number one program or should I take a preemptive step by sending the intent letter tomorrow?
Final question before I exit,
how valuable is Step 3 to programs in making their rank order lists?

Your inputs will be much appreciated!

Thanks...
You’re not getting an interview at this point. As outlined in multiple other active threads, those letters largely are irrelevant and only serve to make you feel better, but don’t hold back on sending one if your only concern is you might get a last minute interview.

Each program will be different in how they value step 3. Passing it helps for sure but it’s just one piece of information.

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie
Hey if I set up a meeting through a coordinator to talk with the PD about how they view my application and whether or not I should do something more, how is that viewed? I messaged a coordinator and they have not responded. Do you think I should email again or will this be looked at negatively? I honestly just want to make the most of the time I have and form some new connections since I have none.

Hey if I set up a meeting through a coordinator to talk with the PD about how they view my application and whether or not I should do something more, how is that viewed? I messaged a coordinator and they have not responded. Do you think I should email again or will this be looked at negatively? I honestly just want to make the most of the time I have and form some new connections since I have none.
Looking at your prior posts, it looks like you're a 3rd year DO student who also has some research connections at some prestigious institution.

If you're asking about your home program, I'd ask the 4th year students what they did. It may be that the PD has a big meeting for everyone interested in this specialty in March-April to give general advice, and they don't plan to have one-on-one meetings before that.

If this is at an outside program, then you have little to lose by sending another message. But the answer you get could be no.

In any event, give them at least a week or two. Rank lists are due on 2/26, so they're super busy with current applicants flooding their inbox right now.

Looking at your prior posts, it looks like you're a 3rd year DO student who also has some research connections at some prestigious institution.

If you're asking about your home program, I'd ask the 4th year students what they did. It may be that the PD has a big meeting for everyone interested in this specialty in March-April to give general advice, and they don't plan to have one-on-one meetings before that.

If this is at an outside program, then you have little to lose by sending another message. But the answer you get could be no.

In any event, give them at least a week or two. Rank lists are due on 2/26, so they're super busy with current applicants flooding their inbox right now.
I have a research experience in a prestigious institute but not in the specialty I desire to go into. Because of lackluster response from neighboring university programs, I have kind of given up forming any connections with them. This new query is concerning a program that is not even in my region and so I thought it appropriate to introduce myself and get to know what the program thinks. I am worried by the lack of strong connections I have and it is actually during this time when match rankings are due that I was planning an appointment. I will adhere to your advice and will appreciate any acknowledgement from the program's side as I think it'll be slim chance of response provided the circumstances. Thank you.

I have a research experience in a prestigious institute but not in the specialty I desire to go into. Because of lackluster response from neighboring university programs, I have kind of given up forming any connections with them. This new query is concerning a program that is not even in my region and so I thought it appropriate to introduce myself and get to know what the program thinks. I am worried by the lack of strong connections I have and it is actually during this time when match rankings are due that I was planning an appointment. I will adhere to your advice and will appreciate any acknowledgement from the program's side as I think it'll be slim chance of response provided the circumstances. Thank you.
Reaching out to PDs at neighboring institutions that you have no connection to... isn't a thing. PDs don't have time to give personalized application advice to just anyone who reaches out.

The PD at your home institution, and perhaps at the institution that you've done research at, are the only ones who may be invested enough to give you advice on your application. If you want to make connections, go to a conference and introduce yourself in person, but a cold email is not going to get you anything.

Reaching out to PDs at neighboring institutions that you have no connection to... isn't a thing. PDs don't have time to give personalized application advice to just anyone who reaches out.

The PD at your home institution, and perhaps at the institution that you've done research at, are the only ones who may be invested enough to give you advice on your application. If you want to make connections, go to a conference and introduce yourself in person, but a cold email is not going to get you anything.
sorry I meant research faculty not responding. I completely agree that PDs outside of my home institute won't respond. I have met with one outside PD but not without a strong referral and not in the field I will ultimately pursue. This is what I find strange in my approach because anytime I have tried to collaborate without referrals, it hasn't been as inviting (I'm talking specifically about research). I find your advice understandable in regards to the conference part. There are a number of conferences coming up where I won't have a poster necessarily to present during the conference but I would like to go just to learn. In this situation, if my field of interest is a fellowship after residency, does it become necessary that I should instead try going to the "residency" based conference?

sorry I meant research faculty not responding. I completely agree that PDs outside of my home institute won't respond. I have met with one outside PD but not without a strong referral and not in the field I will ultimately pursue. This is what I find strange in my approach because anytime I have tried to collaborate without referrals, it hasn't been as inviting (I'm talking specifically about research). I find your advice understandable in regards to the conference part. There are a number of conferences coming up where I won't have a poster necessarily to present during the conference but I would like to go just to learn. In this situation, if my field of interest is a fellowship after residency, does it become necessary that I should instead try going to the "residency" based conference?
Honestly, the most important thing is probably that you find yourself a mentor at your home institution who can take you to conferences and introduce you to other people. Just go to whatever conferences people from you home institution are going to.

@killerleaf @GoSpursGo @rokshana (and anyone else who contributed replies to this thread)
just wanted to say thanks for the insight, I matched at my top choice in my preferred specialty.
stay healthy, and I hope you keep doing this for future match candidates.

Hi all,
Currently an IMG applying for radiology this year.
I received some advice to consider emailing/calling programs pre-application cycle to express interest
Has anyone got any opinions on this / know exactly what kind of things to say to not come off completely entitled/pushy

Thanks