Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just read over my extracurricular descriptions and realized they sound very vague. I guess in my attempt to describe both my accomplishments and activities I didn't get to be as specific. as I wanted. For example, as VP of an organization, I didn't have space to name the events I organized and just had to put "strengthened the presence of my fraternity by planning events with other on campus organizations". Anyone else experience this? Is this going to be a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just read over my extracurricular descriptions and realized they sound very vague. I guess in my attempt to describe both my accomplishments and activities I didn't get to be as specific. as I wanted. For example, as VP of an organization, I didn't have space to name the events I organized and just had to put "strengthened the presence of my fraternity by planning events with other on campus organizations". Anyone else experience this? Is this going to be a problem?
Nobody expects you to write a novel. What you wrote is fine.

For the disadvantaged essay do I have to give specific examples or keep it somewhat generalized? Like if i grew up in a country with a lot of violence do I say something like that or say what kind of violence like family member dying, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm seeing that most dental schools require 6 credits of english composition. I only took one composition class but I took another english class (it was british literature though). are they strict about it being 2 classes of composition or can they be english classes? What do you guys recommend doing because most of the schools I want to apply to have this requirement. Specifically, does anyone know about the English requirements at University of Maryland and Midwestern-Arizona? They both require 6 credits of composition/writing but would a literature or speech class count for one of these?

Last edited:
I'm seeing that most dental schools require 6 credits of english composition. I only took one composition class but I took another english class (it was british literature though). are they strict about it being 2 classes of composition or can they be english classes? What do you guys recommend doing because most of the schools I want to apply to have this requirement. Specifically, does anyone know about the English requirements at University of Maryland and Midwestern-Arizona? They both require 6 credits of composition/writing but would a literature or speech class count for one of these?
British literature should be fine. I got into Maryland without any "composition" classes

In my masters program, I took courses with dental students in the dental school and on AADSAS I have the option to list it as a "Professional" course, rather than "Graduate."

Q: Will the dental courses still be calculated in my graduate GPA if I list them as professional courses?

In my masters program, I took courses with dental students in the dental school and on AADSAS I have the option to list it as a "Professional" course, rather than "Graduate."

Q: Will the dental courses still be calculated in my graduate GPA if I list them as professional courses?
Why wouldn't you list it as a graduate course? That's what a Master's program is.

I've been doing some light reading (aka stalking all of your posts/threads) since this app cycle started and I think a lot of you are severely underestimating how long everything takes. So here is a super basic timeline of how this whole shebang goes.

1. You log into AADSAS, get your transcript matching form, send them off to your CCs/undergrad/grad schools, and then AADSAS gets them and tells you that they have them.
    1. Time: depends on how fast your CC/undergrad/grad school moves. Even so, expect at least a week - 2 weeks... especially as you start getting later into the application cycle.
  2. Your application is done and you click "esubmit". Your GPA now needs to get verified.
    1. Time: 4-6 weeks. Again, the further you are in the application cycle, the closer it will be to the 6 weeks. If your transcripts are not in, it will also take longer
  3. You get the message from AADSAS that your GPA is verified and your app is ready to be mailed! It is then mailed.
    1. Time: they seem to be mailed mostly on Fridays. So expect a week or so.
  4. Your app is mailed by AADSAS and now you are getting supplementals/secondaries (take your pick on the name).
    1. Time: depends on the school you are applying to. Some schools have you send them stuff first, some schools send you something right away, some schools will take some time to review your app before sending you supplemental. So expect anything from 0 days to months. In my personal experience, I had all of my supplementals within 3-4 weeks of my app being mailed.
  5. Your supplementals are in and you are now waiting for interviews.
    1. Time: no way to tell. Just relax and hope for the best

Edit:
LPT: Make an excel sheet to keep track of everything
This is similar to what I used last year
xKQZ2sb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I've been doing some light reading (aka stalking all of your posts/threads) since this app cycle started and I think a lot of you are severely underestimating how long everything takes. So here is a super basic timeline of how this whole shebang goes.

1. You log into AADSAS, get your transcript matching form, send them off to your CCs/undergrad/grad schools, and then AADSAS gets them and tells you that they have them.
    1. Time: depends on how fast your CC/undergrad/grad school moves. Even so, expect at least a week - 2 weeks... especially as you start getting later into the application cycle.
  2. Your application is done and you click "esubmit". Your GPA now needs to get verified.
    1. Time: 4-6 weeks. Again, the further you are in the application cycle, the closer it will be to the 6 weeks. If your transcripts are not in, it will also take longer
  3. You get the message from AADSAS that your GPA is verified and your app is ready to be mailed! It is then mailed.
    1. Time: they seem to be mailed mostly on Fridays. So expect a week or so.
  4. Your app is mailed by AADSAS and now you are getting supplementals/secondaries (take your pick on the name).
    1. Time: depends on the school you are applying to. Some schools have you send them stuff first, some schools send you something right away, some schools will take some time to review your app before sending you supplemental. So expect anything from 0 days to months. In my personal experience, I had all of my supplementals within 3-4 weeks of my app being mailed.
  5. Your supplementals are in and you are now waiting for interviews.
    1. Time: no way to tell. Just relax and hope for the best

Edit:
LPT: Make an excel sheet to keep track of everything
This is similar to what I used last year
xKQZ2sb.jpg
But I want my interview in July! I'm first batch!

Seriously though, I agree.

If I had to send an updated transcript because of an error should I wait to esubmit until AADSAS receives it or is the processing time so long that I will be fine? I'm going to call them tomorrow just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience.

If you have a question that probably doesn't need its own thread but you still want someone to answer it, ask it here! I'm sure many SDN folk will be happy to answer, and this way people will be able to see previous questions without searching through lots of old threads.
Questions can be super specific and there is no such thing as a dumb question here! Ask whatever you want, especially if it will calm your nerves about this cycle.
Have fun :writer:

P.S. Here's another informative thread for guidance! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...7-application-cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/

P.P.S And another http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aadsas-faq-compilation.1020426/
Hello! I am just starting to take my prerequisites to get into a dental hygiene program in California. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone have recommendations on where to look for the best programs? I would like to go to a school that offers both an associates as well as a bachelors, where I can work in California with an option to travel eventually. How much does the school/program attended affect my job opportunities?
Thank you all in advance for your help!

QUESTION:

Do the computers automatically weed out the applications below the cutoff line in terms of GPA and DAT? Then whatever applications pass the automatic system will be looked at holistically by the committee?

For example: Midwestern requires minimum of GPA of 2.75. If I apply with 2.70GPA, the system will reject my application automatically?

Members don't see this ad :)
QUESTION:

Do the computers automatically weed out the applications below the cutoff line in terms of GPA and DAT? Then whatever applications pass the automatic system will be looked at holistically by the committee?

For example: Midwestern requires minimum of GPA of 2.75. If I apply with 2.70GPA, the system will reject my application automatically?
Who knows, but probably?

QUESTION:

There is a difference between a school looking at applicants slightly below their average, and them looking at applications under their minimum cutoffs. Though I don't know the answer for sure, I would bet money that they would weed you out automatically.

Hello! I am just starting to take my prerequisites to get into a dental hygiene program in California. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone have recommendations on where to look for the best programs? I would like to go to a school that offers both an associates as well as a bachelors, where I can work in California with an option to travel eventually. How much does the school/program attended affect my job opportunities?
Hello! This is actually a forum for those looking to go into DDS or DMD programs. I'm not sure anyone here would know about the best dental hygiene programs. Good luck though!

QUESTION:

Probably depends if you have a graduate GPA too or just that undergraduate GPA

I know USC does dual degree for dental hygienist with a BS. Whether or not that is cheap or the best program, I do not know.

I saw that you shouldn't apply to ASDOH unless you have 500+ volunteer hours, Does extracurricular activities count or just volunteer specifically?

Also I seen responses that Temple and Howard don't accept Community College credits but other people have said that they got in with CC credits, Should I apply to these two or pick to other schools?

I saw that you shouldn't apply to ASDOH unless you have 500+ volunteer hours, Does extracurricular activities count or just volunteer specifically?

Also I seen responses that Temple and Howard don't accept Community College credits but other people have said that they got in with CC credits, Should I apply to these two or pick to other schools?
I think anything that is volunteering would count for that.
If you have a few CC credits it's probably fine. If you have 2 years worth, I'd pick 2 other schools

Does sending in a regular mailed vrecommendation letter slow down the application process or no?

Does sending in a regular mailed vrecommendation letter slow down the application process or no?
If your GPA isn't verified yet it doesn't really matter. Online uploading is faster, though, since it doesn't have to be processed, just uploaded

Quick question... Do most schools prefer a letter of evaluation from a basic sciences professor?

I have one from my physics professor and one from a professor in my major (Biochem 493). Assuming both are strong letters and I only have 1 slot left on AADSAS, which would you upload and why?

Quick question... Do most schools prefer a letter of evaluation from a basic sciences professor?

I have one from my physics professor and one from a professor in my major (Biochem 493). Assuming both are strong letters and I only have 1 slot left on AADSAS, which would you upload and why?
Either is fine. Look at the schools you're applying to and see if any need a "biology" letter. I used a physics one I think and I had no issues.

Already have 1 bio professor letter. Will double check schools websites, though.

So. UConn requires 3 professor's LOR's.

My AADSAS has

1.) My Bio Professor
2.) My Chem Professor
3.) An orthodontist I shadowed who also teaches at Maryland Dental
4.) A professor & department chair at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences -- I was mentored by him while he held a different title.

I tried to call UConn, but the admissions lady is apparently gone until 06/20, and I couldn't find my answers on their website or SDN:

Does UConn accept additional LORs? I have 2 more from professors that I could send.
Or, would the above LORs count as from 3 professors?
Or, do I just submit and call them saying i'll send my committee letter when it comes (Not till August/September)?
Or do I just not apply there? It's a kinda expensive school as it is.

Thanks fam!

So. UConn requires 3 professor's LOR's.

My AADSAS has

1.) My Bio Professor
2.) My Chem Professor
3.) An orthodontist I shadowed who also teaches at Maryland Dental
4.) A professor & department chair at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences -- I was mentored by him while he held a different title.

I tried to call UConn, but the admissions lady is apparently gone until 06/20, and I couldn't find my answers on their website or SDN:

Does UConn accept additional LORs? I have 2 more from professors that I could send.
Or, would the above LORs count as from 3 professors?
Or, do I just submit and call them saying i'll send my committee letter when it comes (Not till August/September)?
Or do I just not apply there? It's a kinda expensive school as it is.

Thanks fam!
Letters from professors are meant to be from people who have taught you. 1 and 2, as I'm sure you guessed, definitely count. I would say submit to Uconn, which is actually pretty cheap because you get in-state tuition after 1 year, and contact them later about the third letter. They might even contact you about it. Many schools have different requirements about letters, so if they don't accept a third one, they might take your application as is if they like the rest of it.

Silly question, but we should just check the "Submit a supplemental application and fee directly to the dental school?" checkbox in AADSAS even if we haven't, yes (and then just submit the supplemental stuff afterwards like normal)?

Silly question, but we should just check the "Submit a supplemental application and fee directly to the dental school?" checkbox in AADSAS even if we haven't, yes (and then just submit the supplemental stuff afterwards like normal)?
Yep

Should I wait till my transcripts actually get received (not verified) before e-submitting? Don't want to e-submit only to find out that 1 of my 3 transcripts never got sent because of some physical mailing issue

"Other science" courses count towards science GPA.

My University's committee says that dental schools don't consider math classes as part of your sGPA!

edit: I just called ADEA, i stand corrected, math courses count

Last edited:
My University's committee says that dental schools don't consider math classes as part of your sGPA!

edit: I just called ADEA, i stand corrected, math courses count
Rule 1 is don't listen to your school committee. They are usually completely out of touch with this process.

Can anyone log in to the mobile portal? It says my username/password are wrong even though they're the ones I use to login to the regular application

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can anyone log in to the mobile portal? It says my username/password are wrong even though they're the ones I use to login to the regular application

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
The mobile portal has a lot of problems. I remember it only worked for a limited time.

For the colleges attended part, it says "(Paid)" next to names of the colleges I have attended. Does that mean that AADSAS received my transcripts even though my status doesn't show it?

For the background part of the app where they ask you if your education was ever interrupted, why do they only allow for 600 characters? It's barely a few sentences :bang:

For the background part of the app where they ask you if your education was ever interrupted, why do they only allow for 600 characters? It's barely a few sentences :bang:
So you don't give TMI and ramble on lol. The whole application has character limits. Imagine if you were reading thousands of these

Do my upper level math courses such as "Differential Equations" and "Calculus III" go under the other science category?

So I do have a course with a "W" on my transcript that I withdrew from. What do I put as special classification when entering grades?

Edit: Nevermind, found where I put the W.

Last edited: