Asked to Voluntarily Withdraw and Looking for Advice for Next Steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YJ2022

Reaction score
Was required to sign a "Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)" and put on probation after retaking several COMATs, failing COMLEX Level 2, and not passing an elective rotation. While about to attempt Level 2 for the third time (previous scores 395 and 370) recently, my school's Student Promotion Committee (SPC) met me as I unfortunately did not email a specific faculty member every 2 weeks, which is required by the MOU. As the document mentions that students failing to satisfy any of its stipulations is subject to voluntary withdrawal with no right to appeal, the SPC and Dean both agree that I should quit the DO program immediately.

Later I had appointments with some SPC members and the Dean individually to provide further explanations (e.g. that I remain regular communications with other faculty members, whom the person I should email recommended me to contact; that I was busy attending an in-person board prep program; mental problems, family issues, etc.), yet their decision remains unchanged.

The school offers a Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program that starts in September and takes around 200 hours. Currently I am planning to secure a master degree first, and then hopefully transfer to another medical school. Any advice (e.g. schools where I could have some hope) would be sincerely appreciated.

Some sidenotes: 1. Per that MOU I should have already violated the stipulation about emailing in early January, though it seems that both SPC and Dean had neglected it until this month, despite having had several Zoom meetings with me in between.
2. I fortunately did not fail any pre-clinical course with a GPA around 3.6 and obtained passing scores for Step 1 and 2 first time. The school still allowed me to take Level 2 and the score will be available in two weeks.
3. So far I have not signed the withdrawal paperwork and I wonder if remaining my enrollment status as long as possible would be beneficial for transfer, though I have to do so in around a month according the SPC member I met.
4. That SPC member also clarified the anything related to the MOU would not show up on my transcript, whose unofficial version for some reason did not reveal that I failed rotation and was on probation. However, I am uncertain if the Dean would do a letter of good academic standing or mention anything related to probation or MOU incompliance in her writing.
5. I am in my last year of the program and have about 8 months' rotations to finish when receiving the school's decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
sounds extremely unfair. why are they doing this to you? sorry to hear

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m just going to tag @Goro @operaman @GoSpursGo (and everyone else) here. Maybe I’m getting a little jaded after seeing a lot of these dismissal threads lately, but I don’t think transferring is a viable option.
Thanks very much for the tagging. I am thinking about transferring as the Dean mentioned that there was a third-year student from my school who also voluntarily withdrew after being deemed incompliant with her MOU but successfully transferred to another DO school this year. The Dean said she forget which school actually accepted that student, however.

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

Your Dean gives a previous example of successful transfer, and if you can get any further information, it may be helpful for potential transfer.

With that being said, there are multiple red flags here for any medical school considering you for transfer into their program. Being on probation will likely be concerning for any program looking at your application. Failing COMPLEX 2 will also be concerning. Not emailing a specific faculty member as required by an MOU is also concerning. When put together in totality of the circumstances, it will likely be challenging to transfer to another program. Longer term, there are very real hurdles to get into residency with these identified challenges.

I will defer to the individuals that Lawpy identified, but perceive very serious challenges to transferring.

Goro, GoSpursGo thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Wook

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

Your Dean gives a previous example of successful transfer, and if you can get any further information, it may be helpful for potential transfer.

With that being said, there are multiple red flags here for any medical school considering you for transfer into their program. Being on probation will likely be concerning for any program looking at your application. Failing COMPLEX 2 will also be concerning. Not emailing a specific faculty member as required by an MOU is also concerning. When put together in totality of the circumstances, it will likely be challenging to transfer to another program. Longer term, there are very real hurdles to get into residency with these identified challenges.

I will defer to the individuals that Lawpy identified, but perceive very serious challenges to transferring.

Goro, GoSpursGo thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Wook
There's a LOT to unpack in the OP, but on first glance, I think that the OP's medical career is over. Tons of red flags.

Will comment more tomorrow.

Very tough spot, especially since you were relatively close to graduation. I think the easiest path is that if you get a passing score on level 2 to convince your school to let you stay. Transferring with two level 2 failures and a rotation failure seems like a long shot.

Not to kick you while you’re down, but life (ie mental problems, family issues) happens in medicine. You have to be able to continue to function. These are generally not going to be an excuse for subpar performance. I would focus on a passing level 2, if you get the chance

Last edited:
I’m not sure if there are many or any moves left here other than simply begging for mercy.

I think your excuses are pretty flimsy. You neglect one of the stipulations of your MOU for 7 months and you think you should get a mulligan on that simply because the Dean didn’t notice until now? I’m sure the dean didn’t think anyone would be stupid enough to blow off something so important and so easy. That’s gonna be a tough sell. You weren’t in a board prep course that went from January to now.

The dean is not going to commit fraud and say you were in good standing when you weren’t. And I can’t imagine any school taking you without a letter from your deans office saying that you’re in good standing.

It definitely sucks to have this happen so close to the finish line. Sounds like they gave you a lot of second chances but you just never fulfilled your end of the bargain. I think this may be the end of the road.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m not sure if there are many or any moves left here other than simply begging for mercy.

I think your excuses are pretty flimsy. You neglect one of the stipulations of your MOU for 7 months and you think you should get a mulligan on that simply because the Dean didn’t notice until now? I’m sure the dean didn’t think anyone would be stupid enough to blow off something so important and so easy. That’s gonna be a tough sell. You weren’t in a board prep course that went from January to now.

The dean is not going to commit fraud and say you were in good standing when you weren’t. And I can’t imagine any school taking you without a letter from your deans office saying that you’re in good standing.

It definitely sucks to have this happen so close to the finish line. Sounds like they gave you a lot of second chances but you just never fulfilled your end of the bargain. I think this may be the end of the road.
I think my last meeting with the Dean after receiving the decision already counts as begging for mercy. The Dean seems to be open for another appointment, though I do not think I have any new stories to move her.

My apologies for any previous miscommunication, but I never tried using the school's late reminder about the stipulation as an excuse for my negligence. The reason why I brought the delay up is beacuse I found it strange and coincidental that they seemed to not care or recall that stipulation until about one week before my Level 2 test. Also, it should be a naive and egocentric point but I sometimes think had I been notified to withdraw in early January and choose to end the road, then I would not bother spending additional six months trying to pass the board and being compliant with other stipulations. The prep course lasted between late April to late June, by the way.

Speaking of the letter, if what the dean told me is true, then she should be the person writing the letter for that successfully transferred student, despite that the student was deemed incompliant with her MOU and asked to voluntarily withdraw as well. If the transfer never really happened, I am curious about why she tried to give me some false hope.

They did give me a second chance and modifified the MOU when I failed my second attempt for Level 2 (the MOU has stipulations requiring me to not fail Level 2 or any other rotation), probably that is something I should have unpacked. Between signing the MOU and receiving the decision I presented my board study plan, obtained approval, and regularly updated with multiple faculty members (including the person I should contact, though again not every 2 weeks) regarding my progress (e.g. Step 2 first-time pass, finishing UWorld, COMBANK, and AMBOSS with above average persentiles, attempting all available COMSAEs with highest score of 597, finishing all Catalysts). I also passed a PBI education course recommended by the school to address the rotation failure. Meanwhile, I still meet with a psychiatrist monthly and a therapist biweekly for anxiety and/or depression, which is also suggested by multiple faculty members. Not sure if any of those qualifies as fulfilling something on my end.

I am open to end the DO path and move on if options like asking for reconsideration with a passing Level 2 score and transfer do not work. The dean offers to have me admitted to the school's pharmacy program, though I have to start all over. I feel like I probably cannot or do not want to be a PA or nurse after browsing other SDN threads. Otherwise I am willing to try practicing some form of medicine outside US as an immigrant living in the states by myself with all my family in China.

Last edited:
I think my last meeting with the Dean after receiving the decision already counts as begging for mercy. The Dean seems to be open for another appointment, though I do not think I have any new stories to move her.

My apologies for any previous miscommunication, but I never tried using the school's late reminder about the stipulation as an excuse for my negligence. The reason why I brought the delay up is beacuse I found it strange and coincidental that they seemed to not care or recall that stipulation until about one week before my Level 2 test. Also, it should be a naive and egocentric point but I sometimes think had I been notified to withdraw in early January and choose to end the road, then I would not bother spending additional six months trying to pass the board and being compliant with other stipulations. The prep course lasted between late April to late June, by the way.

Speaking of the letter, if what the dean told me is true, then she should be the person writing the letter for that successfully transferred student, despite that the student was deemed incompliant with her MOU and asked to voluntarily withdraw as well. If the transfer never really happened, I am curious about why she tried to give me some false hope.

They did give me a second chance and modifified the MOU when I failed my second attempt for Level 2 (the MOU has stipulations requiring me to not fail Level 2 or any other rotation), probably that is something I should have unpacked. Between signing the MOU and receiving the decision I presented my board study plan, obtained approval, and regularly updated with multiple faculty members (including the person I should contact, though again not every 2 weeks) regarding my progress (e.g. Step 2 first-time pass, finishing UWorld, COMBANK, and AMBOSS with above average persentiles, attempting all available COMSAEs with highest score of 597, finishing all Catalysts). I also passed a PBI education course recommended by the school to address the rotation failure. Meanwhile, I still meet with a psychiatrist monthly and a therapist biweekly for anxiety, which is also suggested by multiple faculty members. Not sure if any of those qualifies as fulfilling something on my end.

I am open to end the DO path and move on if options like asking for reconsideration with a passing Level 2 score and transfer do not work. The dean offers to have me admitted to the school's pharmacy program, though I have to start all over. I feel like I probably cannot or do not want to be a PA or nurse after browsing other SDN threads. Otherwise I am willing to try practicing some form of medicine outside US as an immigrant living in the states by myself with all my family in China.

I suspect they didn’t notice you failing to meet your obligations because they’re busy faculty with a lot going on and didn’t think they needed to micromanage that part of things. Then toward the end they see you still struggling and realize you’ve failed to keep up a big part of your agreement despite multiple chances.

I don’t know what to make of the Dean letter for the other student. I suspect it was honest though and detailed their struggles, painted a positive picture of their earlier performance and detailed their end of the road issues such that another school felt they could succeed where the first school had not. I doubt the dean would have lied though and said everything is wonderful but this student just happens to want to transfer and spend their last few months of Med school somewhere else.

I think the biggest issue is failing to pass the major exam - the rest is just icing on the cake. The lack of updates is killer though because it makes it look like you’ve been farting around for months wasting time rather than keeping up with your studies so you can pass on the third try.

If you finally pass level 2 then maybe you could swing some mercy. I’d keep trying simply because you have nothing to lose. Focus on showing all the things you did to keep people notified of your progress. I’d print out every email you sent to any faculty and show the date/time stamps. I’d admit to failing to keep my end of the bargain but ask for mercy because you did seem to keep up with the spirit of the agreement. Of course if there’s a huge multi-month gap in there, you’re probably hosed, but worth a shot if you can show proof that you’ve adhered to the spirit of the agreement even if you clearly didn’t meet the requirements. Maybe there’s room for some additional mercy there, especially if you do finally pass the big test.

• Love
How did you pass Step 1 and 2 on the first try and still couldn't manage to pass Level 2 twice? That's very weird and unheard of. I hope with a pass this time you do get to stay in your program and graduate though. Good luck convincing your Dean to grant you mercy. I can't ever imagine getting this far in the game and have to quit.

Lots to unpack, but bottom line I would focus on one clear argument--you've already taken Level 2 and they've already sunk 6 months into helping you remediate. There is very low cost to the school at this point to give you two weeks to find out if you passed Level 2 before passing final judgement.

Again apologize profusely for not fulfilling this part of the MOU. If this was one month into your remediation, it would make perfect sense to just dismiss you for failing to uphold the MOU. But now that they've sunk 6 months into helping you remediate, unless there is some new complaint or concern that has been raised about you, this would seem to be an odd time to bring down the hammer.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How did you pass Step 1 and 2 on the first try and still couldn't manage to pass Level 2 twice? That's very weird and unheard of. I hope with a pass this time you do get to stay in your program and graduate though. Good luck convincing your Dean to grant you mercy. I can't ever imagine getting this far in the game and have to quit.
First I got to say I only have 201 and 210 for the two Steps. For my two previous failed Level 2 attempts the first time most questions were pretty traditional, short, and simple, so I guess I was not as well as others in terms of recall of facts. Second time majority of questions need to be scrolled to be displayed completely and I did not know what many of them were testing about, with lots of ethics questions where the scenarios seemed completely unforseen and confusing to me. In addition, it took 1-2 more seconds to switch between questions for the second attempt. All these factors made me more or less panic and scored that 370 with a COMSAE of 597 around two weeks before the test date. The tutor from the prep course also mentioned seeing multiple students scoring much higher or lower in the real exam than their last COMSAEs.

Several things not yet commented upon:

You mentioned you failed an elective rotation. This seems a new concern -- there are plenty of people who do well clinically but don't do well on exams. But an elective rarely has an exam, so failing that is often a totally different problem. If the failed elective is new, that may be why the dean is now taking action.

Very interesting is this idea that in your MOU you have somehow become "subject to voluntary withdrawal with no right to appeal". This seems a bit twisted -- it's a "mandatory" "voluntary withdrawal". Which makes little sense. What would be more reasonable is a choice -- you can voluntarily withdraw or decide to appeal. if you voluntarily withdraw then you forfeit all appeals, but you also get you final paperwork from the school labeled as a withdrawal. If you appeal, perhaps you win and get to stay in the school, or you lose and then you end up with a dismissal on your record. I don't think they can actually force you to withdraw, and they certainly can't force you to withdraw "voluntarily". All that said, withdrawing is likely your best option here.

I would not recommend spending more money to get a "masters". Some medical schools will give you a masters if you complete the basic sci parts of the curriculum and drop out. if they are willing to give you one for "time served" and for no additional tuition, then that's fine. But I would not spend more money on yet another degree -- what would you do with such a masters? What career would it prep you for?

Getting into a new school is not going to be easy. Even if you do find one, eventually matching to a program will also be difficult with this type of history. Even if the school hides the fact that you didn't uphold the terms of your MOU, you'll end up needing to explain why you left the school just as you passed L2. If you fail L2 a third time, I doubt many schools will consider you.

Since you do have passed steps, one option would be a carib school. If you could get one to take you, when you apply to residency you would not need to include your COMLEX transcripts. But applying from a lower tier carib school (the only option with your history) and having to disclose that you left your DO school in your 4th year is going to raise serious questions and greatly limit your options. I don't recommend this.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Was required to sign a "Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)" and put on probation after retaking several COMATs, failing COMLEX Level 2, and not passing an elective rotation. While about to attempt Level 2 for the third time (previous scores 395 and 370) recently, my school's Student Promotion Committee (SPC) met me as I unfortunately did not email a specific faculty member every 2 weeks, which is required by the MOU. As the document mentions that students failing to satisfy any of its stipulations is subject to voluntary withdrawal with no right to appeal, the SPC and Dean both agree that I should quit the DO program immediately.

Can't sugar coat this OP, at my school, 2x COMLEX failures would lead to dismissal. A 395 score is still failing. You not only failed to show content mastery, you didn't even show baseline competence.

In my 20+ years of being of being a faculty member, this is the first time I've heard of someone failing an elective.

Later I had appointments with some SPC members and the Dean individually to provide further explanations (e.g. that I remain regular communications with other faculty members, whom the person I should email recommended me to contact; that I was busy attending an in-person board prep program; mental problems, family issues, etc.), yet their decision remains unchanged.

Let me get this straight. You were supposed to be in regular email contact with a faculty member, and you blew that off? Or did you somehow forget?

And why were you expecting the school to contact you about the app'ts? This is a professionalism issue in and of itself, much less about not fulfilling the requirements of the MOU, which you violated.

The school offers a Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program that starts in September and takes around 200 hours. Currently I am planning to secure a master degree first, and then hopefully transfer to another medical school. Any advice (e.g. schools where I could have some hope) would be sincerely appreciated.

What's the point of getting the MS degree? Is this an SMP? Or an honest-to-God research/thesis-driven MS? If the former, what's the point? You've already shown that you can handle the pro-clinicals, which is what SMPs are for. If the latter, it's a good springboard into a research career. Good techs or lab mgrs are hard to come by.

I can't see any US medical school accepting you as a transfer student with so many red flags. This is on top of the fact that transfers are rare. Very rare

Some sidenotes: 1. Per that MOU I should have already violated the stipulation about emailing in early January, though it seems that both SPC and Dean had neglected it until this month, despite having had several Zoom meetings with me in between.

But you did violate the MOU on this, correct? So what if the Deans didn't mention it. You already broke the terms of the MOU!

2. I fortunately did not fail any pre-clinical course with a GPA around 3.6 and obtained passing scores for Step 1 and 2 first time. The school still allowed me to take Level 2 and the score will be available in two weeks.

I suspect that a pass on the third try may not save you

3. So far I have not signed the withdrawal paperwork and I wonder if remaining my enrollment status as long as possible would be beneficial for transfer, though I have to do so in around a month according the SPC member I met.

You're looking at a dismissal now with this. I can see that you're in denial...you're in a rough place. But you have to move on with your life now. There's no transfer coming

4. That SPC member also clarified the anything related to the MOU would not show up on my transcript, whose unofficial version for some reason did not reveal that I failed rotation and was on probation. However, I am uncertain if the Dean would do a letter of good academic standing or mention anything related to probation or MOU incompliance in her writing.

I wouldn't put all my hopes on the bolded. And even if the Dean wrote that you "left in good standing" (which I can't see happening, because that would be out and out lying), I can guarantee you that any other med school in the US considering you would be calling your school to find out what really happened.

You mentioned mental health and family issues. Did these occur before all your troubles started? If so, why did you not take a LOA?

Reactions: 8 users
Several things not yet commented upon:

You mentioned you failed an elective rotation. This seems a new concern -- there are plenty of people who do well clinically but don't do well on exams. But an elective rarely has an exam, so failing that is often a totally different problem. If the failed elective is new, that may be why the dean is now taking action.

Very interesting is this idea that in your MOU you have somehow become "subject to voluntary withdrawal with no right to appeal". This seems a bit twisted -- it's a "mandatory" "voluntary withdrawal". Which makes little sense. What would be more reasonable is a choice -- you can voluntarily withdraw or decide to appeal. if you voluntarily withdraw then you forfeit all appeals, but you also get you final paperwork from the school labeled as a withdrawal. If you appeal, perhaps you win and get to stay in the school, or you lose and then you end up with a dismissal on your record. I don't think they can actually force you to withdraw, and they certainly can't force you to withdraw "voluntarily". All that said, withdrawing is likely your best option here.

I would not recommend spending more money to get a "masters". Some medical schools will give you a masters if you complete the basic sci parts of the curriculum and drop out. if they are willing to give you one for "time served" and for no additional tuition, then that's fine. But I would not spend more money on yet another degree -- what would you do with such a masters? What career would it prep you for?

Getting into a new school is not going to be easy. Even if you do find one, eventually matching to a program will also be difficult with this type of history. Even if the school hides the fact that you didn't uphold the terms of your MOU, you'll end up needing to explain why you left the school just as you passed L2. If you fail L2 a third time, I doubt many schools will consider you.

Since you do have passed steps, one option would be a carib school. If you could get one to take you, when you apply to residency you would not need to include your COMLEX transcripts. But applying from a lower tier carib school (the only option with your history) and having to disclose that you left your DO school in your 4th year is going to raise serious questions and greatly limit your options. I don't recommend this.
Failing that elective was part of the reason why they initially required to do the MOU. Following one of its stipulations, I have not done any rotation since signing that document.

Regarding voluntary withdrawal, the original corresponding stipulation says "In the unfortunate event that XXX (my name) fails to complete or perform as stated in this MOU, then by executing this MOU, and without any further action on his part, XXX shall be deemed to have voluntarily withdrawn from the COM, effective immediately, and with no right of appeal." I find the statement more or less arbitrary as well.

Fortunately the master program is free for any student who voluntarily withdraws after first two years, though a tuition waiver has to be signed by the dean. The school believes that the master degree would be helpful for teaching, technology, and research positions. However, because the program was just recently set up for students who withdrew (it was originally established as a post-baccalaureate program), they do not have data or information showing how many student obtain employment at what company or institution with the degree.

Could you recommend any lower tier carib school?

but....the dumbest part is that you passed Step 2 which is a superior exam to level 2.
I'm Really sorry... ='(
DO requirements and all......

Regarding voluntary withdrawal, the original corresponding stipulation says "In the unfortunate event that XXX (my name) fails to complete or perform as stated in this MOU, then by executing this MOU, and without any further action on his part, XXX shall be deemed to have voluntarily withdrawn from the COM, effective immediately, and with no right of appeal." I find the statement more or less arbitrary as well.
That's far from arbitrary. It's an agreement between you and the school, and it says" if I fail to live up to the contract, I will voluntarily withdraw."

At least they're giving you a chance to withdraw and not be dismissed, which as you know looks worse.

But here's the thing: you did NOT live up to your part of the contract. Therefore you're going to be listed as voluntarily withdrawing.

Can't sugar coat this OP, at my school, 2x COMLEX failures would lead to dismissal. A 395 score is still failing. You not only failed to show content mastery, you didn't even show baseline competence.

In my 20+ years of being of being a faculty member, this is the first time I've heard of someone failing an elective.

Let me get this straight. You were supposed to be in regular email contact with a faculty member, and you blew that off? Or did you somehow forget?

And why were you expecting the school to contact you about the app'ts? This is a professionalism issue in and of itself, much less about not fulfilling the requirements of the MOU, which you violated.

What's the point of getting the MS degree? Is this an SMP? Or an honest-to-God research/thesis-driven MS? If the former, what's the point? You've already shown that you can handle the pro-clinicals, which is what SMPs are for. If the latter, it's a good springboard into a research career. Good techs or lab mgrs are hard to come by.

I can't see any US medical school accepting you as a transfer student with so many red flags. This is on top of the fact that transfers are rare. Very rare

But you did violate the MOU on this, correct? So what if the Deans didn't mention it. You already broke the terms of the MOU!

I suspect that a pass on the third try may not save you

You're looking at a dismissal now with this. I can see that you're in denial...you're in a rough place. But you have to move on with your life now. There's no transfer coming

I wouldn't put all my hopes on the bolded. And even if the Dean wrote that you "left in good standing" (which I can't see happening, because that would be out and out lying), I can guarantee you that any other med school in the US considering you would be calling your school to find out what really happened.

You mentioned mental health and family issues. Did these occur before all your troubles started? If so, why did you not take a LOA?
I respect your judgment if you believe I am sugar coating. I unpack the scores just in case anybody needs more information, otherwise I probably would not disclose the other 370. In a hindsight, I think scoring much lower than the first attempt after months of board study could support their decision to have me withdraw.

At the bottom of this message I present the corresponding preceptor's evaluation and my original appeal about the failed elective.

The MOU required me to contact a specific faculty member every two weeks. I forgot that stipulation and did not email her that often.

Probably I somehow miscommunicated again and I apolgize for that. I was trying to say between signning the MOU and receiving the decision I the SPC met me several times via Zoom and there is no mention of the "every two weeks" stipulation during any of the meetings, for which I never forget and were always punctual.

I am not sure how to categorize the master program, as my reply to NotAProgDirector says, the program is like a post-baccalaureate plus around 200 hours of research, for which students do need to do a paper and presentation. I am interested in the degree because if I end up returning to China and choose to continue my medical career there, a medicine-related master degree is definitely much better than a B.S. bioglogy one.

According to the SPC member I met if I did not do the paper in a month or two the school would automatically label me as "voluntarily withdrawn." I was delaying the withdrawal paperwork because enrolled students seem to have higher chance of transferring. If there is indeed zero likelihood of begging for mercy with a passing score or transfer, then it would not hurt too much to acknowledge that status.

As for carib schools, I am curious about how they would kick me out, by intentionally making me fail a rotation or something else?

To my perception the mental and family problems already exist before signing the MOU but significantly worsened afterwards. It could also at least partially be a mental thing why I forgot the "2 weeks" stipulation. Every time I read the MOU I feel ashamed and stigmatized. So later I chose to put it aside, thinking that as long as I end up passing level 2 things will get back on track. The false assumption was strengthened as SPC never contacted me for anything other than COMLEX, and one SPC member once said "If SPC do not reach you, you are doing fine. SPC only meet students when they did something wrong." Again I am not using those as excuses, but to reflect on how come I did not remember to do something that would has a decisive impact on my DO career. I did not do LOA because the MOU already placed me on probation, and according to a faculty member I cannot schedule any standardized test while on LOA. Plus the probation was like a LOA because I arranged my own schedule, as long as I do not spend more than 6 years in total as an enrolled student.

Copy of the evaluation of the preceptor who failed me.

I have precepted numerous trainees in various stages of their education. I am clinical faculty to physician assistants during their clinical years, precept medical students, residents at (program name) program as well as program name's HIV fellowship. (My name) did have some improvement during our month together, though I do have concerns he is below the level of what I would expect from a clinical 4th year medical student. I base this also on his fund of knowledge in comparison to the 2nd year PA students I precept and encourage (My name) to read more. I shared resources with him including MKSAP, UptoDate, USPSTF guidelines, American Thoracic Society handouts to support him and his learning. It is unfortunate he could not differentiate or recall H1 vs H2 blockers, and suggested cetirizine as a treatment for dyspepsia. I would also expect a fourth year medical student to have more of a plan for a routine check up beyond blood work. He was unable to articulate vaccines or age appropriate cancer screening such as cervical cancer screen etc which should been learned in your 3rd year. His presentation needs to be more succinct, and he needs to evolve from being a data gatherer to formulate a differential diagnosis and formulate an assessment and plan if he is to be a rising 4th year and soon to be intern.

Early in the rotation it was apparent that (My name) was fatigued or disengaged as it could be seen by his shifting about during the patient encounter. Additionally he fell asleep during one encounter where the patient was in fact a physician himself and we both stopped talking to stare at (My name) as he had his eyes closed with head propped on his hand leaning against the exam room sink. It was not only uncomfortable for (My name), but myself as well as he represents my alma mater. (My name) presented disheveled and sloppy to the rotation, with his white coat being several sizes too large and his hair consistently disheveled. I do give him praise as he shared he had lost 30 pounds which is not an easy feat, and credit for spending the weekend finding a white coat that fit him. He also did cut his hair during the rotation. I shared the importance to present professionally, not only for the fact that patients entrust their care to us, but also as you are under the scrutiny of attendings and future colleagues. I did allow him to optionally come to clinic in scrubs, or preferably alternating outfits--I do know finances can be difficult as a student. Unfortunately (My name) wore the same outfit of blue/white striped tie, pinstriped button up shirt and black pants during the entire 1 month rotation. Although patients would not know this to be the same outfit, it would certainly be noticed by residents and attendings on an audition rotation and would present poorly. (My name) also has the habit of cracking his knuckles very frequently against his own hands or on his face, even during patient encounters which is off putting. I commented upon this and he is actively trying to limit this distracting behavior.

In general, (My name)'s documentation is adequate and he did make improvements. Early in the rotation we had a patient with prior medical history of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, whose chief complaint was carpal tunnel. This was the predominant focus of our visit, though in review of (My name)'s documentation he only documented hypertension and hyperlipidemia as topics addressed. This was because I had dragged over these two diagnoses on our EMR but had yet to code for carpal tunnel. Although I had not yet had time to complete charting and code all diagnoses, I would expect an MS4 to be able to address in their note all topics discussed in the patient encounter--especially if carpal tunnel was the main crux of the visit. The situation where I do not have time to code all diagnoses in the EMR until the end of the day is common and other students have not omitted diagnoses in their note. I did bring this to (My name)'s attention and he did make improvements as accurate documentation in the clinical note is important not only for continued patient care but in the interest of the medical center for billing as well.

I do want (My name) to succeed. It is incredibly brave to see immigrants embarking to a foreign country where English is a second language. It is a story of my parents as well, and I want to see him do well. I hope these comments are not seen as overly harsh, but solely for the purpose of providing clear areas of improvement so that we may have more bilingual and culturally competent clinicians in our community.

Copy of my original email appealing the rotation failure.

I recently noted that Dr. L failed the internal medicine elective I did with him. Strongly disagreeing with the failing decision for reasons below, I have talked to Miss D during the virtual CED office hours this Tuesday regarding the matter (by the way, the Zoom links for office hours did not work for me yesterday and today). According to Miss D, a report would be submitted to the Dean and updates regarding the investigation would be available Wednesday. Yet I have not received any related emails. Thus, I am wondering if any CED faculty could please let me know whether any progress regarding the issue has been achieved at this point. Thanks very much and wish the CED team wonderful holidays. As a side note, I have not contacted Dr. L since noticing the failure and according to SPC I should not "chase after preceptors" negative comments on CPE. However, if by any chance Dr. L is willing to interact with me again to discuss his evaluations, I am more than happy to in any means he prefers, with or without the involvement of any (school name) faculty. Please also feel free to let Dr. L view whatever I put down here if he is interested.

Reasons why I think I should not have failed the elective:
1. Though Dr. L frequently shared with me his opinions about my performance regularly, he did not start working the CPE by the end of the last day of my elective with him. However, in the evaluation, he selected "Yes" for the question asking if he has reviewed the evaluation with me. Considering that Dr. L seemed very busy with both work and family during that last week. I am afraid that he might not have the energy to accurately, objectively, and comprehensively recall my strengths and weaknesses when deciding to fail me.

Also, I could clearly recollect that the cetirizine Dr. L referred to was not about dyspepsia but GERD. We were going over antihistamines for reflux management and then naming first vs second generation antihistamines. I could hear or remember it wrong but Dr. L might have said that cetirizine belongs to the first generation.

As for the age appropriate vaccine and screening, the context is that we were discussing the management plan for a middle-aged female presenting for an annual physical exam. I was saying “what about basic labs like CBC?” Dr. L then took over the conversation, listing the vaccines and screening exams in his mind. Had I been given more time to fully elaborate my thoughts or been asked more specific pertinent questions, I would have provided a more satisfying answer.

2. For more than one time Dr. L had asked me to self-evaluate, agreeing with me and reassuring me that I did fine overall when I made statements like "at least I think I have not failed this rotation."

3. Despite my relative weakness in medical knowledge, I still managed to pass all previous rotations, USMLE Step 1, COMLEX Level 1, and all COMATs. Even Dr. L himself mentioned he was impressed by my understanding of SSRIs, skin and eye pathologies, and HIV medical management. Another physician that Dr. L recommended me seeing on my last day of the elective verbally praised my recollection of the vaccine schedules for AIDs patients as well.

4. Throughout the 4 weeks Dr. L's feedback was more positive versus negative to my perception and never did he raise the forewarning that I should fail the elective for not perfectly satisfying his expectations.

5. I have made my best attempts to address the problems Dr. L pointed out in CPE, including but not limited to purchasing multiple white coats, cutting hair super short, and refraining from nodding my head and touching knuckles, which Dr. L himself appreciated verbally and literally in his evaluation.

6. Dr. L expressed in CPE and verbally that he wanted me to succeed and positively represents (school name) alumni and Asian immigrants. I truly value his comments but I am afraid that his determination to fail me may impact me more seriously than he might have anticipated. SPC has already reached out to me about dismissal after recognizing the failure and changed my rotation schedule. I am confronting the risk of not being able to graduate and moving forward to residency in time, and failing an elective of the specialty I am applying to could be a red flag for program directors. Additionally, I cannot help but spare time from preparing for board exams to work on this matter given concerns about its effects. Personally speaking, I think this failure has harmed me much more than it could benefit me in any ways I can imagine, and honestly now I feel the need to think carefully before choosing to do work with a (school name) alumni preceptor, worrying that I might end up unexpectedly failing the corresponding rotation.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
First, I'd like to thank you for being as open and honest with us as you can be. I'm sure it's difficult to share these details with a bunch of internet strangers.

I'm going to assume you want our honest, unvarnished thoughts and opinions. It would be easy to tell you that "I'm sure this will all work out". The truth is going to be much more complicated than that.

Starting with the MOU contract -- it's very interesting. In many ways it's "horribly brilliant" much like the oft discussed abortion law in Texas. Because they state in the MOU that any failure triggers a "voluntary withdrawal", you lose all options to appeal the decision. The school leaves you with what is essentially a Hobson's choice -- you can either sign the MOU to continue in school but forfeit all appeals, or you can appeal immediately but then perhaps end up just getting kicked out for refusing the MOU. It's also similar to contracts where you agree in advance to settle differences with an arbitrator, only to discover that the arbitrator is paid by the other party and hence has a built in interest in keeping them happy. It's probably legal and binding, yet unfair and exploitative of them to force it upon you. I agree with you that it's arbitrary - yet you signed the contract and so it's binding on you. In any case, trying to fight this in court is a losing battle for you -- both in time and money.

If the MS is free, then it may be worth pursuing. You mention that it might be helpful in China -- and if that's the case then it may be worth the time investment. I was worried that the reason you were considering it was that it would make you more competitive for a new MD/DO spot -- which it will not.

Which brings us to the failed rotation evaluation. It's an incredibly detailed, helpful evaluation of your performance and the issues involved. I am so used to reading DO MSPE's that have "Good job!!!!!" as the only comment for an 8 week rotation. The evaluator really seems to care about you and about your success.

Summarizing the evaluation, there are two main themes:

Medical knowledge. Your exam scores were low, suggesting poorer levels of knowledge. Sometimes students do poorly on exams, but actuaclly have a good knowledge base. In this case, they clearly delineate multiple deficiencies. Perhaps you have good knowledge in some areas, but your overall knowledge was felt to be lacking. In your appeal letter (which I will get to later) you mention an example where they didn't give you enough time to answer fully -- but that's part of having good medical knowledge, to answer the exact question asked and not diddle daddle around with random factoids. And there were documentation issues.

Professionalism / communication skills -- honestly, this is probably the bigger issue. Documented is a mix of problems from being disheveled, poor habits (cracking knuckles), and falling asleep in an exam room. I have no idea what personal or health issues you were facing, but if they impact your clinical performance like this then your only choice is to take an LOA to address them.

As to your appeal, I hate to tell you this but it was exactly the wrong way to appeal something like this, and almost certainly made your situation worse. You blamed your preceptor for most of the problems, rather than accepting any responsibility. you use the fact that you passed exams (albeit by a few points, and still having failed L2 several times) as proof that there is no problem. You state that you said "at least I'm not failing this rotation" and that no one disagreed with that as proof you should have passed -- I do agree with you here that it's unfortunate, one of the most meaningful experiences I have had as an educator was once telling a medical student after 2 days (of a 7 day week together) that if their performance continued at the same level that I would assign them a failing grade. Up until that time I had tried to be "nice" and give them constructive feedback. I thought it was done in such a way that anyone could see that their performance was a huge problem. But they missed all those subtle signs, and it took being 100% honest to help get them on track. They didn't fail.

But then, there's #6 in your appeal. I want you to take a good, close look at that. You basically say that your preceptor has it out for you (which he/she doesn't given the content of their eval), that failing isn't going to "help" you, and that you have more important things to do like study for L2. You then declare that you will no longer work with alums from the school. I cannot begin to tell you how damaging this all is. It makes you sound incredibly entitled, without humility, and lack introspection.

So, next steps:

This is the end of the road at this school. You could choose to not voluntarily resign -- sounds like they have paperwork they want you to sign to do so, and you could refuse. That would then leave them to expel you instead, and then you might be able to appeal or sue in court. But all this is a horrible idea, you will lose, just that evaluation alone will be catastrophic (along with your appeal). And then you lose any chance at an MS or any clean break from your school. So you really have no choice.

A low tier Carib school is a terrible option. You can look on the Carib section of SDN, there's a recent thread about one of them where less than 10-20% of student who started actually ended up graduating. Given the issues in the eval above, I worry that your issues are much more than just passing tests. And even if you did OK in a carib school, trying to match from a low tier carib school after "resigning" (which everyone will know you were actually terminated, as who would resign voluntarily in their 4th year?), your chances of getting a residency spot will not be good.

You're talking about moving to China, and my guess is part of that decision is to elope from your educational debts. It's a reasonable plan, assuming you'd actually be happy in China forever. if so, one could argue that going to a Carib school doesn't actually make anything any worse -- if it doesn't work out (you fail out, or you don't get a residency spot) then you go to China and it doesn't matter how much debt you have. This assumes all the debt is in your name -- if you have cosigners they will be on the hook for everything. This plan may limit your ability to visit or ever come back to the US.

Even if you're in lots of debt, repayment plans will limit how much you'll have to pay and ultimately it will all get discharged. But you can't discharge it in bankruptcy (usually) and it will stay with you for decades at least.

Personally, I think the best plan is to move on from DO or MD school. Take your talents and find something else to focus on -- whether that's research, being involved with managing clinical trials, or something health care adjacent (like tech/EMR, insurance, etc). Pursuing this further is only likely to yield more heartache. I can;t speak to moving to China -- I'm sure that has lots of challenges also.

Best of luck

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
Do you have to report complex scores to ACGME residencies if you report Step1/step2? Maybe ACGME residencies focus on the steps and the failures wouldn’t be a huge barrier

First, I'd like to thank you for being as open and honest with us as you can be. I'm sure it's difficult to share these details with a bunch of internet strangers.

I'm going to assume you want our honest, unvarnished thoughts and opinions. It would be easy to tell you that "I'm sure this will all work out". The truth is going to be much more complicated than that.

Starting with the MOU contract -- it's very interesting. In many ways it's "horribly brilliant" much like the oft discussed abortion law in Texas. Because they state in the MOU that any failure triggers a "voluntary withdrawal", you lose all options to appeal the decision. The school leaves you with what is essentially a Hobson's choice -- you can either sign the MOU to continue in school but forfeit all appeals, or you can appeal immediately but then perhaps end up just getting kicked out for refusing the MOU. It's also similar to contracts where you agree in advance to settle differences with an arbitrator, only to discover that the arbitrator is paid by the other party and hence has a built in interest in keeping them happy. It's probably legal and binding, yet unfair and exploitative of them to force it upon you. I agree with you that it's arbitrary - yet you signed the contract and so it's binding on you. In any case, trying to fight this in court is a losing battle for you -- both in time and money.

If the MS is free, then it may be worth pursuing. You mention that it might be helpful in China -- and if that's the case then it may be worth the time investment. I was worried that the reason you were considering it was that it would make you more competitive for a new MD/DO spot -- which it will not.

Which brings us to the failed rotation evaluation. It's an incredibly detailed, helpful evaluation of your performance and the issues involved. I am so used to reading DO MSPE's that have "Good job!!!!!" as the only comment for an 8 week rotation. The evaluator really seems to care about you and about your success.

Summarizing the evaluation, there are two main themes:

Medical knowledge. Your exam scores were low, suggesting poorer levels of knowledge. Sometimes students do poorly on exams, but actuaclly have a good knowledge base. In this case, they clearly delineate multiple deficiencies. Perhaps you have good knowledge in some areas, but your overall knowledge was felt to be lacking. In your appeal letter (which I will get to later) you mention an example where they didn't give you enough time to answer fully -- but that's part of having good medical knowledge, to answer the exact question asked and not diddle daddle around with random factoids. And there were documentation issues.

Professionalism / communication skills -- honestly, this is probably the bigger issue. Documented is a mix of problems from being disheveled, poor habits (cracking knuckles), and falling asleep in an exam room. I have no idea what personal or health issues you were facing, but if they impact your clinical performance like this then your only choice is to take an LOA to address them.

As to your appeal, I hate to tell you this but it was exactly the wrong way to appeal something like this, and almost certainly made your situation worse. You blamed your preceptor for most of the problems, rather than accepting any responsibility. you use the fact that you passed exams (albeit by a few points, and still having failed L2 several times) as proof that there is no problem. You state that you said "at least I'm not failing this rotation" and that no one disagreed with that as proof you should have passed -- I do agree with you here that it's unfortunate, one of the most meaningful experiences I have had as an educator was once telling a medical student after 2 days (of a 7 day week together) that if their performance continued at the same level that I would assign them a failing grade. Up until that time I had tried to be "nice" and give them constructive feedback. I thought it was done in such a way that anyone could see that their performance was a huge problem. But they missed all those subtle signs, and it took being 100% honest to help get them on track. They didn't fail.

But then, there's #6 in your appeal. I want you to take a good, close look at that. You basically say that your preceptor has it out for you (which he/she doesn't given the content of their eval), that failing isn't going to "help" you, and that you have more important things to do like study for L2. You then declare that you will no longer work with alums from the school. I cannot begin to tell you how damaging this all is. It makes you sound incredibly entitled, without humility, and lack introspection.

So, next steps:

This is the end of the road at this school. You could choose to not voluntarily resign -- sounds like they have paperwork they want you to sign to do so, and you could refuse. That would then leave them to expel you instead, and then you might be able to appeal or sue in court. But all this is a horrible idea, you will lose, just that evaluation alone will be catastrophic (along with your appeal). And then you lose any chance at an MS or any clean break from your school. So you really have no choice.

A low tier Carib school is a terrible option. You can look on the Carib section of SDN, there's a recent thread about one of them where less than 10-20% of student who started actually ended up graduating. Given the issues in the eval above, I worry that your issues are much more than just passing tests. And even if you did OK in a carib school, trying to match from a low tier carib school after "resigning" (which everyone will know you were actually terminated, as who would resign voluntarily in their 4th year?), your chances of getting a residency spot will not be good.

You're talking about moving to China, and my guess is part of that decision is to elope from your educational debts. It's a reasonable plan, assuming you'd actually be happy in China forever. if so, one could argue that going to a Carib school doesn't actually make anything any worse -- if it doesn't work out (you fail out, or you don't get a residency spot) then you go to China and it doesn't matter how much debt you have. This assumes all the debt is in your name -- if you have cosigners they will be on the hook for everything. This plan may limit your ability to visit or ever come back to the US.

Even if you're in lots of debt, repayment plans will limit how much you'll have to pay and ultimately it will all get discharged. But you can't discharge it in bankruptcy (usually) and it will stay with you for decades at least.

Personally, I think the best plan is to move on from DO or MD school. Take your talents and find something else to focus on -- whether that's research, being involved with managing clinical trials, or something health care adjacent (like tech/EMR, insurance, etc). Pursuing this further is only likely to yield more heartache. I can;t speak to moving to China -- I'm sure that has lots of challenges also.

Best of luck
Sincerely appreciate that you read my previous lengthy thread and provided honest and detailed feedback.

As for the MOU, I would like to add that I was given two weeks to consider signing it. Not returning the document in time would result in automatic dismissal. Beliving that two weeks were two short for going to court and that it should be more likely and effective time, energy, and finance-wise to graduate through signing the MOU than winning a lawsuit against the school, I chose to sign the document and return it immediately. Regardless, I feel it does not hurt me much to get a lawyer's consultation given my situation, though I do not think I would puruse lawsuit at this point. I am working with my county's bar association to be referred to a lawyer.

Something also to add regarding that rotation. My school did meet that preceptor after reviewing my appeal, and the SPC said he felt strong anguish about yet remained his decision. The context for me saying "at least I think I have not failed this rotation." is that I passed the previous elective but SPC later inform me that some preceptors of the program thought my performance was around borderline for passing. Therefore, I tried getting confirmation from that evaluator to avoid a potential failure. Before that "at least," I acknowledged that I had A, B, C, weakness but also emphasized that I have applied D, E, F methods to achieve improvements of G, H, I. Meanwhile, I mentioned my strengths of J, K, L, before concluding that I felt confident in meeting the minimum passing standards for that rotation. The preceptor showed agreement throughout and he himself later also said "so far you are doing good and I have no problem with you pass this rotation." The context for the affirmation is that by the very end of that rotation I learned and told him that I had failed Level 2 (not sure if I should ever mention that in a hindsight) as I found him to be a close friend after working together for almost 4 weeks. To learn more from this incident, I wonder if you could let me know whether you wound do anything different if you were in my situation for that rotation (e.g. not saying the "at least," appealing in a different manner, or just not appealing, etc.)

Speaking of next steps, so far the school have not provided me a date but if I do not sign the paperwork in a month or two I would be automatically considered "voluntarily withdrawn" and lose my school email account, according to an SPC member.

For schools I now wonder what if I am only looking for a medical degree to transition to practice medicine in China or somewhere else. It is much easier to obtain and complete residenies and be licensed in China with an approved degree, though I got to research now if China accepts Carribean MDs. Also, though it may sound I am trolling or bragging but to get more objective advice I would like to add that I am not in any debt currently and can possibly afford another couple of years of medical schools without counting on any loan. As for the eloping, I am just curious if the situation would be different considering that I am a citizen instead of permanent resident. Would States bother chasing a citizen in a foreign country to pay his educational debts?

Do you have to report complex scores to ACGME residencies if you report Step1/step2? Maybe ACGME residencies focus on the steps and the failures wouldn’t be a huge barrier
OP is at a DO school, he must release a COMLEX score since it's a graduation requirement for all DO schools. No residency program will take you if they don't know for sure you will graduate. Additionally, OP won't be able to participate in ERAS or the Match without being currently in good standing since the school has to verify him before he can participate.

Reactions: 2 users
As for the eloping, I am just curious if the situation would be different considering that I am a citizen instead of permanent resident. Would States bother chasing a citizen in a foreign country to pay his educational debts?
Don’t you need a co-signer to get US educational loans though?

OP is at a DO school, he must release a COMLEX score since it's a graduation requirement for all DO schools. No residency program will take you if they don't know for sure you will graduate. Additionally, OP won't be able to participate in ERAS or the Match without being currently in good standing since the school has to verify him before he can participate.
Very true, and to further unpack I was applying for residency through ERAS last year, did not obtain any interview, thought it was because of my lack of a passing Step 2/Level 2 score, took Level 2 in Oct., and learned that I failed in Nov. After the match date this year my school recognized that I did not have enough time to complete the remaining 8 months' rotations before starting residency in July, so I was withdrawn from the match and did not participate in the SOAP/Scramble. Technically speaking I am in my fifth year presently. Not sure if any new red flags pop up.

OP is at a DO school, he must release a COMLEX score since it's a graduation requirement for all DO schools.
If he transfers to Caribbean would he still have to? This may make that option more attractive than it normally would.

OP says he has enough money to not worry about debt, has passed both steps, and could fall back to China if he goes to the Caribbean but doesn’t match. I feel like this may be one of the few rare instances in which it may be good to go to the Caribbean, try out matching, and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work.

Very true, and to further unpack I was applying for residency through ERAS last year, did not obtain any interview, thought it was because of my lack of a passing Step 2/Level 2 score, took Level 2 in Oct., and learned that I failed in Nov. After the match date this year my school recognized that I did not have enough time to complete the remaining 8 months' rotations before starting residency in July, so I was withdrawn from the match and did not participate in the SOAP/Scramble. Technically speaking I am in my fifth year presently. Not sure if any new red flags pop up.
OP, I'm sorry... your journey to be a physician is over. Your hopes were a very long shot even before you revealed that you already failed to match last year/graduate on time.

You have been given multiple extra chances, and have failed to capitalize on them. The school used this failed elective/broken MOU as a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. You're going to be dismissed, you can't transfer to another MD/DO school, and going to the Caribbean is only going to leave you with more debt or at least waste your time if your alternate plan is to elope and escape payment.

• Love
The additional details about the MOU confirm the picture I described. Your choices were to simply be expelled, or accept the MOU as written. Not a real choice. But it is what it is. This is a Hobson's choice -- two apparent options, but one is so horrible that there's really only one choice.

The "voluntary withdrawal" still seems messy. So you can sign some paperwork and voluntarily withdraw. Or, you can not sign the paperwork, and they will "voluntarily" withdraw you anyway. This is actually called a Morton's fork -- two apparent choices that lead to the same result. If you're going to talk to a lawyer, then definitely don't sign anything. once you resign you lose any sort of legal leverage that might exist.

Regarding what you could have done differently, rather than trying to convince your preceptor that you were passing because of ABCDEFGHIJ, you could simply state "I've gotten marginal evaluations in the past regarding my clinical skills. If you think my skills are marginal or below the passing threshold, please tell me. I want the feedback so I can work on improving".

I can't speak to how a medical degree in the US will help you in china. I think it's important to note that you were not doing well clinically here in the US. Transitioning to China where the culture is very different may be quite difficult. Or, perhaps you're actually more familiar with the medical culture in china than here.

I worry that your lack of interviews was both the failed L2 and poor clinical evaluations. Passing L2 will only address one of those problems (and programs will still see the prior fails).

The fact that you have no debt does change the math here. It's your money to gamble with. If you want to spend it on a school in the Carib as a last ditch effort, then that's really up to you. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, you still don't have huge debt to deal with, you can choose to continue with a career in the US or consider changing to China. I personally don't think it's a good investment / risk, but your opinion may be different. And if your family is quite wealthy so, even if it doesn't work out, you would still have funds to invest in some other start of a career, well then you're lucky in that arena and it's your money to gamble.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
OP, I'm sorry... your journey to be a physician is over. Your hopes were a very long shot even before you revealed that you already failed to match last year/graduate on time.

You have been given multiple extra chances, and have failed to capitalize on them. The school used this failed elective/broken MOU as a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. You're going to be dismissed, you can't transfer to another MD/DO school, and going to the Caribbean is only going to leave you with more debt or at least waste your time if your alternate plan is to elope and escape payment.
Really appreciate the follow ups but please allow me to clarify the timeline again. My first L2 attempt was in Oct.; I did the elective and learned about failing L2 in Nov.; I received the evaluation indicating that I failed the rotation and later signed the MOU in Dec.; I failed L2 again with the MOU modified in March of this year, then finally in July school required me to voluntarily withdraw because I did not email the faculty member every two weeks. I doubt your advice would be different anyways but just want to summarize here for clarity.

Really appreciate the follow ups but please allow me to clarify the timeline again. My first L2 attempt was in Oct.; I did the elective and learned about failing L2 in Nov.; I received the evaluation indicating that I failed the rotation and later signed the MOU in Dec.; I failed L2 again with the MOU modified in March of this year, then finally in July school required me to voluntarily withdraw because I did not email the faculty member every two weeks. I doubt your advice would be different anyways but just want to summarize here for clarity.
Thanks for clarifying as it was a little difficult to follow. but indeed, I stand by what I said.

For completeness, what specialty did you previously apply for?

The additional details about the MOU confirm the picture I described. Your choices were to simply be expelled, or accept the MOU as written. Not a real choice. But it is what it is. This is a Hobson's choice -- two apparent options, but one is so horrible that there's really only one choice.

The "voluntary withdrawal" still seems messy. So you can sign some paperwork and voluntarily withdraw. Or, you can not sign the paperwork, and they will "voluntarily" withdraw you anyway. This is actually called a Morton's fork -- two apparent choices that lead to the same result. If you're going to talk to a lawyer, then definitely don't sign anything. once you resign you lose any sort of legal leverage that might exist.

Regarding what you could have done differently, rather than trying to convince your preceptor that you were passing because of ABCDEFGHIJ, you could simply state "I've gotten marginal evaluations in the past regarding my clinical skills. If you think my skills are marginal or below the passing threshold, please tell me. I want the feedback so I can work on improving".

I can't speak to how a medical degree in the US will help you in china. I think it's important to note that you were not doing well clinically here in the US. Transitioning to China where the culture is very different may be quite difficult. Or, perhaps you're actually more familiar with the medical culture in china than here.

I worry that your lack of interviews was both the failed L2 and poor clinical evaluations. Passing L2 will only address one of those problems (and programs will still see the prior fails).

The fact that you have no debt does change the math here. It's your money to gamble with. If you want to spend it on a school in the Carib as a last ditch effort, then that's really up to you. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, you still don't have huge debt to deal with, you can choose to continue with a career in the US or consider changing to China. I personally don't think it's a good investment / risk, but your opinion may be different. And if your family is quite wealthy so, even if it doesn't work out, you would still have funds to invest in some other start of a career, well then you're lucky in that arena and it's your money to gamble.
I mentioned the marginal evaluation during that rotation, but as usual sincerely appreciate your feedback.

As for the no interview matter, just for clarification my dean's letter was submitted prior to that failed rotation so I think PDs should not know about the failure when reviewing my application. Also for curiosity I wonder suppose that I passed L2, achieved admission by a residency program, and successfully graduated in the same cycle, should I disclose to the corresponding PD that after submitting my application I failed this rotation? Would the disclosure cause a typical PD change his or her mind accordingly and make me lose my spot in that case?

Thanks for clarifying as it was a little difficult to follow. but indeed, I stand by what I said.

For completeness, what specialty did you previously apply for?
You are more than welcome. I applied for IM only. The 80+ programs I picked then included DO friendly ones, those where either my Step 1 or Level 1 could be around average, and a few reach ones with histories of DO admissions.

Wait, does going to China really negate the debt incurred in the US or the caribeans?
If it does, then yeah, do caribean. If you fail and you don't have to pay the debt, that's a win.

Wait, does going to China really negate the debt incurred in the US or the caribeans?
If it does, then yeah, do caribean. If you fail and you don't have to pay the debt, that's a win.
Don’t think it negates it legally or officially. It’s more a matter of enforcement.

The MOU required me to contact a specific faculty member every two weeks. I forgot that stipulation and did not email her that often.

Did you carefully read your MOU? If you did, then forgetting about the frequent contact stipulation is a professionalism violation in my eyes. OR, was their no mention of this requirement? If not, where did it come from?

Reactions: 1 users
Passing both Levels of COMLEX (not COMPLEX!), is required to graduate from a DO school.

ALL residencies in the USA are ACGME residencies now.

Did you carefully read your MOU? If you did, then forgetting about the frequent contact stipulation is a professionalism violation in my eyes. OR, was their no mention of this requirement? If not, where did it come from?
The requirement was clearly mentioned in the MOU, otherwise the school would not have asked me to withdraw mainly based on that stipulation. It is professionalism violation in my eyes as well.

What that preceptor did to you was absolutely horrible. Seems like very minor violations. Horrible that one person cal ruin someone's life for no good reason.

• Dislike
What that preceptor did to you was absolutely horrible. Seems like very minor violations. Horrible that one person cal ruin someone's life for no good reason.
Falling asleep while in the room with a preceptor and he/she is talking to a patient is a minor violation?

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
^This is why we are in trouble with people who think like this, SMH....poster believes they were "minor violations."

• Love
I mentioned the marginal evaluation during that rotation, but as usual sincerely appreciate your feedback.

As for the no interview matter, just for clarification my dean's letter was submitted prior to that failed rotation so I think PDs should not know about the failure when reviewing my application. Also for curiosity I wonder suppose that I passed L2, achieved admission by a residency program, and successfully graduated in the same cycle, should I disclose to the corresponding PD that after submitting my application I failed this rotation? Would the disclosure cause a typical PD change his or her mind accordingly and make me lose my spot in that case?

You are more than welcome. I applied for IM only. The 80+ programs I picked then included DO friendly ones, those where either my Step 1 or Level 1 could be around average, and a few reach ones with histories of DO admissions.
Again, just to be clear, I think you're about to be dismissed (or "voluntarily" withdrawn, or whatever), so this is all moot.

To specifically address your question, in the unlikely event that your program allows you to apply to residency, they're going to have to make a new dean's letter/MSPE. They will be under an ethical obligation to disclose that you failed this elective and share some of the concerns raised by your preceptor. If two L2 failures and a failed elective were not enough to dissuade potential programs from interviewing you, I suspect the content of that preceptor eval would. I suspect your school believes this to be the case as well, thus rendering the whole question of waiting for your L2 score pretty moot.

But just hypothetically, if you managed to convince your school to give you two weeks to find out if you passed L2, you find that you did indeed pass, and then they decide to give you one last shot and not force you to "withdraw" (many many "ifs"), you could theoretically apply for FM and at least try your hand in a field that hasn't already declined to interview you. I really do not think you would get a different outcome, because if you didn't get any interviews WITHOUT the L2 failure or this elective failure, I can't imagine you getting interviews with these additional red flags... but since we are talking about unlikely hypotheticals at this point, that would probably be my suggestion.

• Love
Always remember that there are two sides for every story.

And if you stick around here long enough, when you you look at the "help! I've been dismissed from med school/residency!" posts, you find that the OPs are all lacking in info, making it seem like they're the victims. BUT, when you go through the thread, then it gets revealed that the OPs all omit important info.

No one person can ruin a medical student's life except the medical student, as we see here.

Reactions: 10 users
No one person can ruin a medical student's life except the medical student, as we see here.
This reminds me of the Archer episode "Coyote Lovely" (S4E8):

Moreno: "And to you, doctor. You truly have the gift of healing."
Doctor: "Boy, I wish you'd tell that to the licensing board."
Archer: "You don't even have a vet license?!"
Doctor: "Thanks to one petty local politician...and one petty barn full of dead horses."

I don't have anything else productive to add to the conversation that hasn't already been said, but just trying to provide some comedic perspective to anyone else reading this to help encourage them to prevent themselves from falling into a similar scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
OP - Will not elaborate on my story publicly here but I left a DO program a few years ago (didn't finish). You can PM me with questions/what your situation is and I can give you some insight.

Always remember that there are two sides for every story.

And if you stick around here long enough, when you you look at the "help! I've been dismissed from med school/residency!" posts, you find that the OPs are all lacking in info, making it seem like they're the victims. BUT, when you go through the thread, then it gets revealed that the OPs all omit important info.

Will agree with this. I voluntarily withdrew and the main Deans I spoke to were very helpful when making my decision. Heck, one even offered to meet me after I left to discuss my future plans. Only had one off-putting interaction with the school when one of the "student life" admin question my decision in a somewhat rude way. Felt like they thought I was dumb for wanting to leave but it was more so their facial expression than their word choice.

Again, just to be clear, I think you're about to be dismissed (or "voluntarily" withdrawn, or whatever), so this is all moot.

To specifically address your question, in the unlikely event that your program allows you to apply to residency, they're going to have to make a new dean's letter/MSPE. They will be under an ethical obligation to disclose that you failed this elective and share some of the concerns raised by your preceptor. If two L2 failures and a failed elective were not enough to dissuade potential programs from interviewing you, I suspect the content of that preceptor eval would. I suspect your school believes this to be the case as well, thus rendering the whole question of waiting for your L2 score pretty moot.

But just hypothetically, if you managed to convince your school to give you two weeks to find out if you passed L2, you find that you did indeed pass, and then they decide to give you one last shot and not force you to "withdraw" (many many "ifs"), you could theoretically apply for FM and at least try your hand in a field that hasn't already declined to interview you. I really do not think you would get a different outcome, because if you didn't get any interviews WITHOUT the L2 failure or this elective failure, I can't imagine you getting interviews with these additional red flags... but since we are talking about unlikely hypotheticals at this point, that would probably be my suggestion.
Hypothetically speaking, is there anything I need to be careful about when asking for mercy, or just lettting the dean know I got a passing score and requesting for a Zoom appointment to discuss the matter of reconsideration? Should I say anything special when asking about a letter? What about addressing the reason of transfer in transfer and residency applications (i.e. if I should be 100% transparent about all red flags including but not limited to failed L2, not passing a rotation, and MOU execution)?

As always, thanks very much for your advice and willingness to follow through.

Will agree with this. I voluntarily withdrew and the main Deans I spoke to were very helpful when making my decision. Heck, one even offered to meet me after I left to discuss my future plans. Only had one off-putting interaction with the school when one of the "student life" admin question my decision in a somewhat rude way. Felt like they thought I was dumb for wanting to leave but it was more so their facial expression than their word choice.
Hello there. It seems that I cannot start a private conversation with you now but thanks very much for your willingness to connect and sincerely hope that things have already worked out perfect for you.