Asking a fellow for a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cole10101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like many other people, my plans for shadowing a DO fell through due to COVID and I honestly don't think I could find the time right now to shadow a DO for a meaningful time to get a LOR. However, I was a scribe in an ED a few years ago and worked with a few DOs and since that time I have scribed at a trauma center in an academic hospital and worked with multiple residents and fellows that are DOs. I have been trying to get in touch with the physicians I worked with in the ED but so far I am not having much luck. One of the fellows on the team I work on currently is a DO and extremely friendly. I also worked with them for a month last year as well (fellows rotate through the hospital I work at multiple times over a few years). Would it be appropriate to ask them for a LOR? I obviously know I could never ask a med student for a LOR and even asking a resident would seem inappropriate to me, but I'm not sure if a fellow would also be an inappropriate person to ask.

Also, I know many DO schools waived the DO LOR requirements and I already have 2 great MD LORs, but I figured it couldn't hurt to add a DO LOR to my application.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I forgot to mention that though I have only worked with this physician with them in the position of a fellow, they have been an attending before and decided to go back to do another residency and fellowship in the field I work with.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2 MD letters is plenty. My instinct says a fellow is not good source for a LOR but I’m not an authority on the matter.

2 MD letters is plenty. My instinct says a fellow is not good source for a LOR but I’m not an authority on the matter.

At least one DO school I applied to straight-up put me on a hold list until I could get a LOR from a DO. I've also heard that some schools really won't consider you unless you get a DO letter, but of course there are always exceptions! Also, something I forgot to mention that I should add, is that this particular physician is a fellow in the specialty I work with them in, but they have been an attending before. They just decided to change specialties so they had to do a fellowship in this field.

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea how DO admissions work but if you need a token DO letter to even be considered this may be your only shot. This sounds like a silly and prideful requirement on the school's part though.

if you get the letter, you can choose to not submit it to programs who do not have a stringent DO letter requirement. Perhaps the DO could play up his previous work as an attending to make sure everyone knows this isn't a PGY-4 writing for you. You can even offer to draft the letter for the DO fellow to ensure this is included.

No idea how DO admissions work but if you need a token DO letter to even be considered this may be your only shot. This sounds like a silly and prideful requirement on the school's part though.

if you get the letter, you can choose to not submit it to programs who do not have a stringent DO letter requirement. Perhaps the DO could play up his previous work as an attending to make sure everyone knows this isn't a PGY-4 writing for you. You can even offer to draft the letter for the DO fellow to ensure this is included.

Thank you, I appreciate it! That is a good idea and I will definitely propose it to them. Also, yes, I agree it is a little silly, especially considering the pandemic and how hard it is to shadow right now. I feel bad even asking anyone I work with for a letter because I know how insanely busy everyone is as well, but it is what it is! I appreciate the suggestions!