Asking current semester professor for recommendation letter (applying this cycle)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sleepyturtle

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping to ask one of my current professors this semester for a recommendation letter, but I'm not sure if I should wait to ask until final grades are posted? I want to give them enough time to write a letter but also be able to comment on my academic performance.

Alternatively, I could ask my previous semester prof whose class I did really well in but know fairly little (likely a weak letter). I'm worried that if I wait too long to ask, then the previous professor will be tied up writing everyone else's letters and I will be 1 letter short. >__<

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A LoR from a professor who you've kind of known for one semester (or not even one semester) is probably not a great choice.
 
@gonnif - thanks for the clarification!

@JustAPhD Yeah I know it's not ideal 🙁 I currently have 3 rec letters which I think will be much stronger (from research supervisor for 2 yrs, small class professor that I completed a big project for, etc). my major problem is my school's committee letter requires the faculty letter writers to have actually taught you in a class (my profs recommended me for the TA position with a different teacher teaching the following semester -- so they technically can't count for my committee letter req and also research credits don't count as a class).

I go to a big state school.. unfortunately I haven't gotten to know many of my prereq profs well. I know it's my own fault, but I am trying to scramble now to get things in order.

thanks for the input guys
 
By 2 "nonscience" letters, does it have to be a professor or is that where you can substitute a PI, supervisor,etc.?
 
n=1 but I got two science letters both from professors who I barely knew for 1 semester. I popped in every once and again to office hours just to say hi. I mentioned that I would be asking for LORs and they both said they would write one pending my final grade. OP, as long as you get an A and can get at least 1-2 glowing recommendations from other people you know very well (manager, PI, non-science, etc.) you should be fine.

Not everyone goes to small schools where they can be BFFs with their professors so it isn't really a huge deal to get 1 or 2 generic LORs to satisfy the requirements.
 
Yeah I go to one of the biggest universities in the country so half my classes are literally like 400 person and even going to office hours, there's always a ton of other people there, so it's usually pretty difficult to form a good relationship
 
n=1 but I got two science letters both from professors who I barely knew for 1 semester. I popped in every once and again to office hours just to say hi. I mentioned that I would be asking for LORs and they both said they would write one pending my final grade. OP, as long as you get an A and can get at least 1-2 glowing recommendations from other people you know very well (manager, PI, non-science, etc.) you should be fine.

Not everyone goes to small schools where they can be BFFs with their professors so it isn't really a huge deal to get 1 or 2 generic LORs to satisfy the requirements.
ok cool! thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to poke my head into office hours throughout the rest of the semester

Yeah I go to one of the biggest universities in the country so half my classes are literally like 400 person and even going to office hours, there's always a ton of other people there, so it's usually pretty difficult to form a good relationship

yeah it kinda stinks going to a big school, especially since a bunch of classes are taught by TAs and absentee professors!