Asking for H1b and its effect on ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mightyfruitfight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the interview season, programs asked me if I wanted h1b vs j1. I answered H1b.

Now with the h1b situation becoming unclear, should I contact the programs and tell them that a J1 is fine also? In my common ERAS application, I indicated both J1 and H1B.

Im just worried because it's ranking period now and all these issues about visa is stressing me out.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
During the interview season, programs asked me if I wanted h1b vs j1. I answered H1b.

Now with the h1b situation becoming unclear, should I contact the programs and tell them that a J1 is fine also? In my common ERAS application, I indicated both J1 and H1B.

Im just worried because it's ranking period now and all these issues about visa is stressing me out.

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation with one of my programs but then I thought in Eras it's H1b and J1 so I'm clearly fine with either one although I choose H1b when asked which one will you need in the interview.

I'm in the same situation with one of my programs but then I thought in Eras it's H1b and J1 so I'm clearly fine with either one although I choose H1b when asked which one will you need in the interview.
Do u think it's wise to contact the PD over this concern?

Do u think it's wise to contact the PD over this concern?

I don't think it matters.

They know you're fine with either visa.

If you want only H1b then you would've selected only H1b in Eras.

I didn't contact my program regarding this.
But if you won't rest until you do then I don't see any harm in a short email to PC.

Are you talking about Cook county in any chance?

I don't think it matters.

They know you're fine with either visa.

If you want only H1b then you would've selected only H1b in Eras.

I didn't contact my program regarding this.
But if you won't rest until you do then I don't see any harm in a short email to PC.

Are you talking about Cook county in any chance?
No, this is in a NY program.

Do u think our ranking will be affected by all these visa uncertainties? I feel like people are not talking enough about it.

No, this is in a NY program.

Do u think our ranking will be affected by all these visa uncertainties? I feel like people are not talking enough about it.

I don't know.

I'm worried also.

Hopefully it won't be affected.

I'd definitely clarify with your PD, if you only want the H1b, that you only want the H1b. That may be a problem if the GME or your department only wants to sponsor the J1. Better to address it earlier than later.

I'd definitely clarify with your PD, if you only want the H1b, that you only want the H1b. That may be a problem if the GME or your department only wants to sponsor the J1. Better to address it earlier than later.

Yes I know. Actually both visas are fine with me though I said that I preferred an H1b more than a J1 during the interview. (For programs that offer both visas, of course)

Usually though, isn't it that programs sponsor J1 more than H1B? Problem is, when they asked me about what visa I wanted, Trump wasnt the president then so I answered that I wanted H1B, if possible.

Now, there are news that H1B will be harder to get, that's why I'm asking people here if I should message the PD's or PC's that Im ok with either visas even if I already incdicated this in my ERAS Application.

Yes I know. Actually both visas are fine with me though I said that I preferred an H1b more than a J1 during the interview. (For programs that offer both visas, of course)

Usually though, isn't it that programs sponsor J1 more than H1B? Problem is, when they asked me about what visa I wanted, Trump wasnt the president then so I answered that I wanted H1B, if possible.

Now, there are news that H1B will be harder to get, that's why I'm asking people here if I should message the PD's or PC's that Im ok with either visas even if I already incdicated this in my ERAS Application.

Any insights, @aProgDirector? Thanks!

will H1B be harder to get though? Usually hospitals/nonprofit are not under the H1B cap

This is a really volatile issue, so it's hard to answer. We really have no idea what changes Team T plan for visa policy.

That said, there are currently multiple bills proposed to muck with the H1b system. Remember, first, that these are BILLS. They need to be passed by both houses of congress and signed by the pres before anything changes, and most bills go through a complex editing process before being passed. So what's in them now may be edited / combined / totally rejiggered. But at present, none of them would change GME all that much. I haven't read the bills myself, all of the following is from online summaries:

ISSA Bill HR 170 - this one would have no effect on GME. It changes the income "cap" where H1b visas are counted towards a total that defines whether an employer is H1b dependent or not. For any employer of >50 employees, 15% need to have H1b's before this happens. Chances of any hospital system hitting this threshold (when you include all employees) is really small, so changing the way this is counted will not matter at all.

The Grassley/Durbin bill will also have no effect on GME. It adds a cap such that no company can have more than 50% H1b's (again, not a problem for a hospital / health system), and changes the way that H1b visas inside the cap are allocated in such a way that would actually benefit GME, but isn't really an issue since most hospitals get H1b's outside the cap anyway.

There are a couple of other bills that have been introduced. Most change the way H1b's are allocated, remove country limits, or prioritize H1b's to employers that pay more than the prevailing wage. Again, as most hospitals get their H1b's outside of the cap (and hence how they are prioritized would be meaningless), I don't think these will have much effect. That I can tell, none of them mandate that H1b visa holders are paid a higher-than-prevailing wage, which would definitely seriously affect GME.

Trump is also (apparently) planning an EO in this sphere. Rumor is that he may change H1b, J1, L1, and OPT visas. No clear details have emerged, and I expect it will just be signed and released without debate as appears standard for President T. Since no details are available, it's impossible to predict effects.

The biggest risks to GME would be changing the cap exemptions for H1b, limits on J1's, or OPT changes. None of the bills sponsored muck with the H1b exemptions for non-profits so far. J1 visas are very complicated because they come in many different flavors -- alien physicians, Au Pairs, camp counselors, and others are all on J visas, so it's possible that one part of the program could be changed leaving the alien physician piece alone. Changes to the OPT program are my biggest worry, to be honest -- simply because any knife (or axe, your choice) that Pres T uses to change the program will affect everyone -- so changes made to "fix problems" in the IT industry may have unintended blow back into GME.

As far as this match is concerned, the biggest problem is uncertainty. I have no idea whether the residents who need visas who are on my rank list will be able to get them or not. I'll need to decide between now and Feb 22 what I will do. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't want to make any changes -- I want to rank people based on merit. But if someone can't start, that has a huge ripple effect upon everyone else in the program, and it's my job to be their advocate. So it's a tough balance.

Last, it will be interesting to see what happens after the match. I could imagine an unmatched US citizen (perhaps a US-IMG) being angry that they did not get a spot, where a non-citizen does. I could imagine that person (or a group of them organized) complaining to someone in Congress. And I can imagine an administration whose mantra is "America First" being upset about the situation. I can see that side of the argument, especially for H visas. H visas are supposed to be for foreign workers where a US citizen can't be found to fill the spot -- so if there is a US citizen, it seems like an abuse of the visa system. If the gov't insists on a change, the match would need major changes. Note that programs couldn't just pull out of the match and take those that need visas -- the same problem would arise.

This debate was going to happen at some time. The growth of US-IMG's and offshore schools was almost certain to create a situation where US IMG's can't find spots, while visa holders can. Once this happens to enough people, or happens to a single person who is important/connected/finds a way to get their story out there, changes are likely. It looks like it's going to happen in the near future. Some change is probably good -- I do think that US citizens should get some priority, or the rules regarding US citizens going to Med School outside the US should be changed (esp Federal Loans). How to do this is the challenge.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as this match is concerned, the biggest problem is uncertainty. I have no idea whether the residents who need visas who are on my rank list will be able to get them or not. I'll need to decide between now and Feb 22 what I will do. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't want to make any changes -- I want to rank people based on merit. But if someone can't start, that has a huge ripple effect upon everyone else in the program, and it's my job to be their advocate. So it's a tough balance.

If I don't need a visa, (I'm US-IMG), should I be contacting programs anyways to let them know that? I don't want to bother the programs but I don't want to be removed from the rank list either.