Asking professor to bump my grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may end up receiving an 89 in my communications class. I am only taking to class because i have to. Any advice how to do this? I would pass/fail this class, but I can't. Can I prove to him my previous exam scores are anomalies?

Members don't see this ad.

I may end up receiving an 89 in my communications class. I am only taking to class because i have to. Any advice how to do this? I would pass/fail this class, but I can't. Can I prove to him my previous exam scores are anomalies?
Ask him if he rounds then aim for at least a 89.5

Ask him if he rounds then aim for at least a 89.5
Thats what I'm hoping for. The problem is, I wasn't expecting his exams hard. I mean, the average for the first exam was a 66 for a communications class. This is the first social science class where I took the average is this low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't be yet another grade grubbing pre-med! And the bolded is completely asinine.

Reactions: 23 users
Thats what I'm hoping for. The problem is, I wasn't expecting his exams hard. I mean, the average for the first exam was a 66 for a communications class. This is the first social science class where I took the average is this low.
Rule #1 as a premed, always expect every exam to be hard/detailed

Reactions: 7 users

Your exam scores aren’t anomalies if you’ve scored similarly on every exam in his course. By definition, an anomaly is something that deviates from the norm. At this point, an excellent grade on an exam would be the anomaly. Sorry if that sounds harsh. Maybe you’re not taking it seriously enough?

You could always ask if he can offer the class some extra credit. Or you could bust your ass and aim for an 89.5.

Edit: the first paragraph doesn’t apply if you have extenuating life circumstances like a new baby or a death in the family or something that would make your performance in the whole course anomalous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Please don't be yet another grade grubbing pre-med! And the bolded is completely asinine.
I just think it's unfair. I shouldnt even be in this class. I would take a W. But I do not want to take a W for a B+

Your exam scores aren’t anomalies if you’ve scored similarly on every exam in his course. By definition, an anomaly is something that deviates from the norm. At this point, an excellent grade on exam would be the anomaly.

You could always ask if he can offer the class some extra credit. Or you could bust your ass and aim for an 89.5.
I'll aim for the 89.5. I calculated I can get a 89.7 as the highest.

I'll aim for the 89.5. I calculated I can get a 89.7 as the highest.

Rock that **** out then. Are you blowing it off because you don’t think you should have to take it? It sounds like a required course, and the prof is probably used to people blowing it off, so he grades strictly to force people to focus.

I just think it's unfair. I shouldnt even be in this class. I would take a W. But I do not want to take a W for a B+

The fairness really doesn’t matter. You’re in the class, so whatever could have been never was. Feeling bad for yourself helps nobody, especially you.

Shoot for the 89.5.

The conversation between me and my professor was, literally:
“Hey Dr. P, you round, right?”
“Yup.”
“Great, see you next week!”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rock that **** out then. Are you blowing it off because you don’t think you should have to take it? It sounds like a required course, and the prof is probably used to people blowing it off, so he grades strictly to force people to focus.
Well, it's a required course for me specifically. I guess for others who chose it as well. I have to take some sort of pathway course, and this was one of the available options. So I though it's better than taking Engineering courses as a course that fulfill my degree requirement. I tried looking into dance history, or other easy classes, and none were offered. So I thought this sounded like the best option.

You’ll get whatever you deserve. Communications isn’t going to keep you out of med school.

You’re more likely to get in your own way by being so neurotic I can feel your anal retentive tension through my keyboard when I read your posts. Just chill and learn to be humble, you’re not too good for anything.

Reactions: 10 users
Well, it's a required course for me specifically. I guess for others who chose it as well. I have to take some sort of pathway course, and this was one of the available options. So I though it's better than taking Engineering courses as a course that fulfill my degree requirement. I tried looking into dance history, or other easy classes, and none were offered. So I thought this sounded like the best option.

I had to take a course like that on diversity (we could choose from one of four courses, and the diversity course seemed the least annoying—I was wrong). Like you, I ended up with a prof that took that **** seriously, and I ended up having to put a lot of work into to course to get an A.

You’re going to have to devote more time to than course than you currently are, because I’m sure you’re not giving it your best effort. Treat it like a med school prereq from here out.

Turkishking delivers yet again. 10/10 cringe thread. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 16 users
Turkishking delivers yet again. 10/10 cringe thread. Keep up the good work.
I just want to see if I can get an A- instead of a B+ in a stupid communications class. I don't understand the issue here

I just want to see if I can get an A- instead of a B+ in a stupid communications class. I don't understand the issue here

If your numerical grade translates to a B+ on the scale in your syllabus, then you earned a B+. If your numerical grade translates to an A- on the scale in your syllabus, then you earned an A-.

If you earn a B+ but decide to beg your professor for an A-, then you're not acting in accordance with standards of basic decency. It's petty, and it's totally out of line.

Reactions: 5 users
If your numerical grade translates to a B+ on the scale in your syllabus, then you earned a B+. If your numerical grade translates to an A- on the scale in your syllabus, then you earned an A-.

If you earn a B+ but decide to beg your professor for an A-, then you're not acting in accordance with standards of basic decency. It's petty, and it's totally out of line.
So if I get a 89.6 it's petty and out of line to ask do you round grades?

If I was a professor and you came to my office asking for an 89 to be rounded to an A- I would round down and give you an 86. You just have to deal with some things. There were a lot of classes where I had a 92.6 something and it was an A-

If I was a professor and you came to my office asking for an 89 to be rounded to an A- I would round down and give you an 86. You just have to deal with some things. There were a lot of classes where I had a 92.6 something and it was an A-
A- is still fine. I am not worried about a 3.67-3.7. I do not like a 3.3. I feel terrible thinking about it. I can't help it.

Don't be pathetic. Man up and take the grade you earn without whining that it's not fair.

Reactions: 14 users
You didn't say you wanted to ask if the professor rounds, you said you wanted to ask if the professor would bump your grade despite consistently B level work. The former is fine, the latter is not.
I'll talk to him tomorrow.

Don't be pathetic. Man up and take the grade you earn without whining that it's not fair.
I would PASS/fail. I passed failed a B before. But I think it's past the deadline at this point. I'll go to registrars and find out.

You could try but I think your odds of success are quite low. Most of my college courses had a very strict number of points and even if you were one point below the cutoff they wouldn't bump you no matter what. Also, you don't want to be "that guy."

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully he can do something. I'll see him tomorrow. Oh well.

If you get an 89 and an 89 is a B+, then that's what you deserve.. why do you feel so entitled??
I don't feel entitled. I feel defeated. Have you ever felt defeated?

Am I having deja vu or are all your threads basically the same?

Reactions: 9 users
The last thread was about answering every question to fast, which I resolved the issue. Now this one is about a bumping my grade up. Essentially, they both have to do with grades but from different directions, so I guess, yes?

Didn't you just say you were only going to ask him if he rounds? You didn't earn an A. Why should he give you one and not the other people in the class who didn't earn an A? You're not going to help yourself, and frankly you're just going to make yourself look bad. Don't do it.

Agreed. You can ask if he rounds, but that's where I'd stop.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm guessing that last thread about getting a 94% on a bio test didn't help you out much?

I think I may have came off the wrong way, all I'm going to do is see if he rounds grades. That's all! Big issue for some people here

I think I may have came off the wrong way, all I'm going to do is see if he rounds grades. That's all! Big issue for some people here

to be fair, the thread is titled "asking professor to bump my grade"

But hopefully you just meant to inquire if he/she rounds. I hope they do, and I hope you get the grade you want. Cheers

Reactions: 3 users
to be fair, the thread is titled "asking professor to bump my grade"

But hopefully you just meant to inquire if he/she rounds. I hope they do, and I hope you get the grade you want. Cheers
Thanks

What does the syllabus say about grading? If it doesn’t meantion rounding then don’t count on anything. I don’t see anything wrong with asking about rounding provided there isn’t something already in writing.

So if I get a 89.6 it's petty and out of line to ask do you round grades?
Yes. It's petty to shamelessly whine to a busy professor with a large workload to see if he'll give you a grade you didn't earn just because you really, really want it.

Have you ever felt defeated?
No. But I'm a winner.

What good could possibly come of asking that? Either he rounds grades or he doesn't, and you asking about it isn't going to change his policy. You're being absolutely unreasonable and overly neurotic about the minuscule GPA effect of a B+ vs an A- in this single course. Rather than wasting time worrying about such a minor thing -- and one over which you have no control -- you'd be better served by learning how to relax about this stuff. It won't just go away when you start med school; if anything, it'll get worse unless you get a handle on it now.

Last edited:

Life is unfair, get a helmet.

Reactions: 5 users
Life is unfair, get a helmet.
Can't agree with this more. If you wanted an A, study hard and get the A. A B+ won't hurt your chances, but don't blame it on the professor or class.

I find it funny that everyone is jumping on a bandwagon. I’ll ask the professor if he rounds that’s all. Why is there a dilemma with 50 responses on a thread that pertained to HOW TO ASK? I agree, the title was very vague. Regardless, I find it funny. Congrats, hope I could have ammused you all during the last night. /thread

I find it funny that everyone is jumping on a bandwagon. I’ll ask the professor if he rounds that’s all. Why is there a dilemma with 50 responses on a thread that pertained to HOW TO ASK? I agree, the title was very vague. Regardless, I find it funny. Congrats, hope I could have ammused you all during the last night. /thread

Well, now I'm curious what he says.

Lol guys I think Turk gets the message

I got a 89.1 in my bio 101 class and my teacher rounded me up :3. Just ask politely and if she sees you made a honest effort and you have good attendance, I dont see why she wouldn't bump your grade up