Asking retired professor for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I graduated last year and just found out that one of my professors (who was also my pre-med advisor) retired. I knew him for 4 years, constantly met with him, and took one of his classes. He even helped me get my current job. I kept in touch with him a little bit after I graduated but he never mentioned he was retiring. Before I graduated, he had agreed to write LOR content in my committee letter for med school, but now that he retired he's obviously not on the committee and I feel like I should ask if he could just write a regular LOR instead. The LOR would be written as one of my professors, and not as my pre-med advisor.

But is that rude to ask of someone who just retired?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's rude to ask. Just be polite about it and leave room for him to say no if he's too busy or whatever.

I don't think it's rude to ask. Just be polite about it and leave room for him to say no if he's too busy or whatever.

I guess I'm also concerned whether he somewhat abruptly retired because he was sick or because of a personal issue. That would explain why it wasn't really made public -- and I would hate to ask someone who is in that situation for a LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all, I plan to ask my retired PI for a LOR. There's no harm in asking.

I think it would only be an issue if there was a huge public scandal.

Last edited:
I guess I'm also concerned whether he somewhat abruptly retired because he was sick or because of a personal issue. That would explain why it wasn't really made public -- and I would hate to ask someone who is in that situation for a LOR.

I can see your worry, but since you don't what the reason/situation was, I think you'll be ok in just asking. Worst case - he doesn't respond/denies to write the letter. I doubt he would feel bad, especially if you knew him well/were close to him.