Asmph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

despair

semi-charmed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. Insights? Comments?

I got accepted to UST, UERMMC, St. Luke's and ASPMH. Now that I'm at the verge of deciding, I want all comments and insights. I hope no bashing this time. Thank you!

For those who will go to ASMPH, what are your reasons? (I know the strengths of the school, I'm just a little hesitant).

Members don't see this ad.

hay... i'm having a similar problem... the difference is that my choice is leaning to asmph, but my family is insisting i go to SLCM, because they have the best facilities, but they can't seem to comprehend it is the school that has the problem and not the hospital... i know SLH is well equipped with the most hi-tech facilities, but from what i have heard from my classmates, the school has unstable administration, changing policies within semesters, and has a fairly average board-passing percentage. i dunno if the school have their own board topnotchers. they even spend a lot of money just to invite students to enter their school (such as lunches, catered hospital tours, etc). as for asmph, the fact that they're new means they haven't proven anything yet in the medical field. of course, it also stands as a problem if you want to practice abroad since they're still not a recognized school... we still have to wait and see what asmph graduates can do. haaay..... :(

I think ASMPH will be a good school. It is a combined MD/MS (management) program. If you will practice in the Philippines, it will be a good choice.
The drawbacks maybe that it's a 5 year program (you have to finish 5 years to get your degree- not a big deal as UP and St. Luke's have the same length of study) and if you are planning to practice in the US (most states will not recognize a school unless it is 5-7 years old).

Members don't see this ad :)
yun nga eh. what to do kaya? confirmation for slots is only up to wednesday, btw, for asmph. so unless we're willing to throw away 15k, then we better decide na. My family is leaning towards asmph, simply because lahat ng lalaki atenista.

yun nga eh. what to do kaya? confirmation for slots is only up to wednesday, btw, for asmph. so unless we're willing to throw away 15k, then we better decide na. My family is leaning towards asmph, simply because lahat ng lalaki atenista.

S- recieved notes with client verbalizing the statement above indicating ambivalence over med schools

O- see facial icons used, with a down payment of 15k in ASMPH to be settled on Wednesday

A- R/T absence of medschool experience

P/I- From a forum I once attended, they will pretty much use students (and perhaps their credentials as well). ASMPH will be using their students to say how good a med school they are, not the facilities nor the teachers but the students. Its a business game for them. According to their speaker, it is not just a med school- it is not the medschool you go to because you didnt get accepted to the medschool of your choice. First of all, the school has not proven anything yet- how dare they even say that. Parang ganito yung sitwasyon, sa bernakular na wika. Ikaw ang nagbayo, ikaw ang nagsaing pero sila ang kakain. They chose students ranking in the upper 80 percentile- these students are fairly smart and intelligent when it comes perhaps to their premed courses. These students have the potential to make it (with colors) not only in medschool but also in the medical field. Once they do, they will perhaps own the credit for the students being able to achive such accolades whence it was more of the innate characteristic of the student (either he or she is really smart or hardworking to compensate for any knowledge deficit). Furthermore, who are going to teach the students? New graduates from UP, UST, FEU, UERM? Id rather stick with the terror professor who is very knowledgeable with the medical problems ill be asking him or her rather than a newbie teaching in a school whose curriculum is not even finished yet. Yes, they still dont have the curriculum for the higher years (said by a source in this site). It may be a good school someday but, as people say, medschool is no joke- so why compromisen (this on the basis of statistics)?

E- Either way, there wouldnt be a chance nor reason to regret- say that you enter ASMPH, you wont be able to compare any experience youll be getting because you wont be able to enter UST or UP or anyother school anyway- ther is really no point in regretting. You can perhaps make a rough estimate of how good ASMPH when it comes to internship or hospital experience with other schools of which you can compare your performance. There is no other way to do so- too bad if you chose ASMPH, you will be the pilot class.

what's with the whole SOAPE thing? I was just looking for practical advice, which, in all probability, is already in my head. Geez. Over analysis is just as dangerous, you know? Anyway, i'm sorry. I'm not sure if you've been in a situation like mine, so I really shouldn't expect empathy from you- kind of like your analogy of not being able to compare because I'm not in a another medical school.

its suppose to be a nursing talk for subjective, objective, assessment, and plan.

i would still advise sticking to the older schools UST, UE and St lukes.

I do not question the capabilities of the professors at ASMPH. Most likely they are also very experienced doctors working at other medical schools. The only problem is that as a new school,
ASMPH is very very prone to abrupt changes in their curriculum unlike in the other much older schools where sudden changes are minimal and is easily resolved, simply because the faculty members and administrators know their colleagues at the school and problems therefore are settled easily.

advantages of ASMPH
- probably a very good support from the university because its a new college and they want to build a very good reputation.
- combined degree in management

disadvantage
- new
- may encounter problems if you plan to leave the country for specialization/residency training.
- i really don't see any advantage the MS management offers. Medicine has a highly rigid, highly organized hierarchy that is very difficult to penetrate unless you start at the bottom. Postgraduate education as masters of public health, masters of hospital administration are already in existence and is probably a better option than Masters in management.
-base hospital is the Medical City which caters specifically to the class A and B patients. And as such, do NOT expect to be able to perform physical examination on these patients whenever you want, or expect them to disclose private information to a medical student.
- being a medical student you will have to face very unsanitary hospital environment, patients without any means of payment, patients who cannot afford even a basic blood count etc.. which are the realities of the Philippine health care system. You cannot be a doctor in this country if you only get to see patients who flash their HMO cards and expect immediate hotel style service.

These are of course problems a new school always faces. The system will most likely improve and stabilize after 3 to 4 years.

St lukes right now is still undergoing major shifts. They really want to be the best medical school by 2010 that from what i've heard its causing problems among the faculty members and putting a heavy strain on their students. If ASMPH will face the pressure of having a good performance on the board exam (kasi ateneo sila and they have this notion to be the "best"), expect the same kind of pressures and problems soon.

My advice would be to stick to the more stable and older school for now... goodluck :)

its suppose to be a nursing talk for subjective, objective, assessment, and plan.

i would still advise sticking to the older schools UST, UE and St lukes.

I do not question the capabilities of the professors at ASMPH. Most likely they are also very experienced doctors working at other medical schools. The only problem is that as a new school,
ASMPH is very very prone to abrupt changes in their curriculum unlike in the other much older schools where sudden changes are minimal and is easily resolved, simply because the faculty members and administrators know their colleagues at the school and problems therefore are settled easily.

advantages of ASMPH
- probably a very good support from the university because its a new college and they want to build a very good reputation.
- combined degree in management

disadvantage
- new
- may encounter problems if you plan to leave the country for specialization/residency training.
- i really don't see any advantage the MS management offers. Medicine has a highly rigid, highly organized hierarchy that is very difficult to penetrate unless you start at the bottom. Postgraduate education as masters of public health, masters of hospital administration are already in existence and is probably a better option than Masters in management.
-base hospital is the Medical City which caters specifically to the class A and B patients. And as such, do NOT expect to be able to perform physical examination on these patients whenever you want, or expect them to disclose private information to a medical student.
- being a medical student you will have to face very unsanitary hospital environment, patients without any means of payment, patients who cannot afford even a basic blood count etc.. which are the realities of the Philippine health care system. You cannot be a doctor in this country if you only get to see patients who flash their HMO cards and expect immediate hotel style service.

These are of course problems a new school always faces. The system will most likely improve and stabilize after 3 to 4 years.

St lukes right now is still undergoing major shifts. They really want to be the best medical school by 2010 that from what i've heard its causing problems among the faculty members and putting a heavy strain on their students. If ASMPH will face the pressure of having a good performance on the board exam (kasi ateneo sila and they have this notion to be the "best"), expect the same kind of pressures and problems soon.

My advice would be to stick to the more stable and older school for now... goodluck :)

SOAPIE- Subjective, Objective, Analysis, Planning, Intervention, Evaluation

Dapat pala ganito na lang yung inabiso ko; nagiging dangerous lang naman ang over analysis pag wala kang literature or sources na talagang dapat mong pinagbabasehan ng mga sinasabi mo. Otherwise, wala kang dapat ikatakot. May sources naman ako, paano naging delikado yon? Hindi naman objective ko ang i degrade ka- mas sanay lang ako sa ganitong charting. Mas mabuti para sa akin kung may makakakita dahil alam kong maiintindihan nila ang ibig sabihin ng SOAPIE (kung may mag rereact man, alam kong nurses yong mga yon, malamang, mga nurses na nagdodoktor o magdodoktor)- it has nothing to do with you really, yung part lang talaga ng P/I yung para sayo.

Isa pa, bakit ka nagtatanong ng comments and insights sa start ng thread- diba yon yong ginawa ko? Tapos sasabihin mong meron ka na palang nasa isip mo and to accuse me from this na wala akong empathy for you, naisip mo ba na pareho lang tayo ng sitwasyon?... sige nga, ano ba sa palagay mo ang ibig sabihin ng "insights" o "comments" man lang?

Sa lahat sa inyo, mali ba yung sinabi ko sa kanya?

mr. hentaisocrnmdph, can u please edit your post and remove the quote on my quote. :D

Despair just wanted an answer on why or why not UST/UE/St lukes and why or why not ASMPH.

you don't have to mention about his "facial icons", his "ambivalence", his "absence of med school experience" not do you refer him as your "Client". You don't have to analyze everything specially when you have never been to med school before. :D

mr. hentaisocrnmdph, can u please edit your post and remove the quote on my quote. :D

Despair just wanted an answer on why or why not UST/UE/St lukes and why or why not ASMPH.

you don't have to mention about his "facial icons", his "ambivalence", his "absence of med school experience" not do you refer him as your "Client". You don't have to analyze everything specially when you have never been to med school before. :D

yes, thank you. And make that "her facial icons."

Chocopinipig, thank you! Now, I'm rethinking everything tuloy. I know about the major shifts at St. Luke's. It's been mentioned to me by my friends, and that it's causing a lot of strain on their students. Thank you for your comments and insights. That's what I needed, not a sermon-like application of a standard protocol (I presume) that makes me feel like a patient or a "client" and further demeans my present confusion.

yes, thank you. And make that "her facial icons."

Chocopinipig, thank you! Now, I'm rethinking everything tuloy. I know about the major shifts at St. Luke's. It's been mentioned to me by my friends, and that it's causing a lot of strain on their students. Thank you for your comments and insights. That's what I needed, not a sermon-like application of a standard protocol (I presume) that makes me feel like a patient or a "client" and further demeans my present confusion.

:D you are most absolutely welcome :D

incidentally i've heard that a number of professors at st lukes will be resigning/or threatening to resign.

The administrators want ABSOLUTE loyalty to St lukes. This has caused a lot of rifts within the faculty since most of them teach at other schools too.

incidentally i've heard that a number of professors at st lukes will be resigning/or threatening to resign.

The administrators want ABSOLUTE loyalty to St lukes. This has caused a lot of rifts within the faculty since most of them teach at other schools too.

really? :eek: many PGH faculty practice at St. Luke's too.

yes, i heard. They increased salary to 500% (or so the dean told me) but in exchange they want 100% dedication to St. Luke's--- something that doctors practicing medicine cannot do.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know if it will succeed. They are pretty determined to be the best medical school by 2010. Its very hard to leave your "original" school. I guess thats why most opt to resign.

i passed in ateneo school of medicine and public health.. but unfortunately i hav to give up my slot becoz the reservation is too early mar.28 and im still w8ng for UST's waiting list becoz i ddnt make it to the 500..

im really hoping that ateneo shud have extended their reservation until april becoz a lot of pipol are still w8ng 4 ust..

i think ateneo med skul wil do gud because its ateneo HELLO!! plus they said that its 10 years in the making so i think it will be good..

but the thing that makes me a bit on defense wid asmph is that its 5 years?? 5 yrs. of paying 4 tuition come on!! plus i dont know if there will be clerkship in 4th yr because of the management program..

plus i dont know the tuition fee and curriculum they wont give it unless uve reserved!! hello!! that is so wrong?? how can i compare it to other schools??

plus plus!! you cant take USMLE becoz its only new!!

plus plus plus!! wat public hospitals is it affiliated??!! there shud be many becoz public hospitals gives the best training!!

plus plus plus plus!! its new which makes it so vulnerable to mistakes and students will be like guinea pig.

but u know wat? asmph interests me bcoz ul be part of ateneo's rich history..

but now that i dont get to reserve my slot.. ateneo will juz be a thing of the past.. (anyways il still choose feu ithan asmph f not accepted in ust..)

any replies??:)

yes, i heard. They increased salary to 500% (or so the dean told me) but in exchange they want 100% dedication to St. Luke's--- something that doctors practicing medicine cannot do.

that's bribery! :eek: pero, they can afford to e.

Hello... I am an incoming student of ASMPH. The reason for the early confirmation is because of the summer transition program (transumm) that will be required of the students who have not completed the requisite cognates (for the management degree) during their undergraduate education. The program will run from April 23 to June 1. I think it's pretty intensive.

I believe to many of us who chose to go to ASMPH, our main goal was really to remain in the Philippines; to be doctors for the Filipinos. Yes, seeking ample livelihood for one's family is reason enough for the decision of many to practice their craft overseas (especially the US). However, here's some good news for the country, there are still many others who have hope for our nation. I'm personally very optimistic about it (no one can change that, and i think no one should even try to). Why stop them from having hope, right?

More relevant this holy week, i want to ask you who say you believe in Christ... Knowing their situation seemed beyond despair during His time, imagine yourself discouraging Jesus from being "idealistic for God". I ask you, what's your position? And do you think the hope carried by Christianity can still exist if not for Jesus' love and belief that we can be saved? Personally, by "wasting a year" to wait for ASMPH, with its outright vision set, I believe I'm simply choosing Christ's path and example that i myself be an example for others. While now it still is the path least taken, I would say, at least there are still some willing souls.

Now as for certainty, yes, we acknowledge the possibility of instability in governance, system and academic curricula, but i have to admit that it's the dedication and sincerity (and maybe also the sheer talent) of my batch-mates that puts me at peace. I know for a fact that we will do our best to ensure that the teachers perform as well as we ourselves would motivate each other to do well.

Eventually, if our batch does perform in the boards, then it's only fair that we all (students, faculty, and administration) share the fruits of that success. What for take all the credit? To blame your school would be to taint your own credentials since graduating from that very school.

Here's some news... I have some friends who have already completed their 1st year in UST but who have decided to apply to ASMPH, despite knowing they'll have to start from scratch. This perhaps is the power of idealism?

Here's my advice, if you intend to work in another country, i would say, ASMPH may not be the best choice for you (with all sincerity). But if you have high hopes for [the abandoned in] our nation, and you are not afraid to have less than you could, then maybe, even without the best academic credentials, you may well be what the school is looking for. The school's program is what's needed for THIS country, and not elsewhere.

It's only in accepting death that one starts to live.

Btw, we are affiliated with public hospitals as well, one of which for certain is the Quezon Memorial Medical Center. And the seeming 1 year delay in getting your MD is not really a delay coz the 5th year is merely your internship.

God bless you all... :)

to pinoydoctor i am stil curious about ateneo's curriculum and tuition.. since i think u already reservd ur slot in ateneo.. myt as well tell us a bit of info about der curriculum and tuition.. my sister is graduating public health in UP in 2008, she wants to apply to ateneo so info regarding this will be really helpful to weigh her options..:D

reply is needed.. hehe

Let's just leave hentaiscornmdph alone, and better yet let's all wish him good luck in becoming a doctor!!!!

... who knows, he might be the one to discover the cure to
CRAB MENTALITY!:)

Goodluck to ASMPH!

to pinoydoctor i am stil curious about ateneo's curriculum and tuition.. since i think u already reservd ur slot in ateneo.. myt as well tell us a bit of info about der curriculum and tuition.. my sister is graduating public health in UP in 2008, she wants to apply to ateneo so info regarding this will be really helpful to weigh her options..:D

reply is needed.. hehe

Tuition: in the 80k+ range...it's a double-degree course... MD/MM

Curriculum: for First Year (YL5, because YL1-4 is denoted for the four years of the Loyola Health Science BS program), similar to most of the top medical schools...

Anatomy, Physiology and Biochem taught whole year, broken into systemic topics and synchronized...

Management subjects as they relate to medical practice will be included (but for YL5 these will be very basic, emphasis will still be in building your medical knowledge foundations)

OT: SLMC (the school) is the one asking for single loyalty from FACULTY... obviously, SLMC (the hospital) cannot and is not asking for this from their medical staff (aba, rebolusyon na yan!!! heheheh!)

i passed in ateneo school of medicine and public health.. but unfortunately i hav to give up my slot becoz the reservation is too early mar.28 and im still w8ng for UST's waiting list becoz i ddnt make it to the 500..

im really hoping that ateneo shud have extended their reservation until april becoz a lot of pipol are still w8ng 4 ust..

i think ateneo med skul wil do gud because its ateneo HELLO!! plus they said that its 10 years in the making so i think it will be good..

but the thing that makes me a bit on defense wid asmph is that its 5 years?? 5 yrs. of paying 4 tuition come on!! plus i dont know if there will be clerkship in 4th yr because of the management program..

plus i dont know the tuition fee and curriculum they wont give it unless uve reserved!! hello!! that is so wrong?? how can i compare it to other schools??

plus plus plus!! wat public hospitals is it affiliated??!! there shud be many becoz public hospitals gives the best training!!

plus plus plus plus!! its new which makes it so vulnerable to mistakes and students will be like guinea pig.

but now that i dont get to reserve my slot.. ateneo will juz be a thing of the past.. (anyways il still choose feu ithan asmph f not accepted in ust..)

any replies??:)
it saddens me that many of the posts here are concerned with the fact that you can't take the USMLE because of the new school. Do we even make the decision to be a doctor just because we could take the USMLE? I definitely hope not.

to hentaisocrnmdph, i respect your ideas but as you've said, and i quote "nagiging dangerous lang naman ang over analysis pag wala kang literature or sources na talagang dapat mong pinagbabasehan ng mga sinasabi mo. Otherwise, wala kang dapat ikatakot." Just be sure that your sources are reliable enough for you to make judgments.

I think that the pioneer class of ASMPH took a big risk in joining the school. It would be safer choice to go with the "tried and tested" schools but taking that big risk will also mean that we want change in the system. We aspire for good changes and just hope for the better.

Just a thought: If the pioneer class of UP, UST, UE and others did not take the risk of applying to a new school would they be as successful as they are now?

It may be idealistic of me to say this but differences in schools aside, aren't we all here to be a doctor? I'm just hoping that you include your country in that dream. Smiles everyone! :D

it saddens me that many of the posts here are concerned with the fact that you can't take the USMLE because of the new school. Do we even make the decision to be a doctor just because we could take the USMLE? I definitely hope not.

Just a thought: If the pioneer class of UP, UST, UE and others did not take the risk of applying to a new school would they be as successful as they are now?

It may be idealistic of me to say this but differences in schools aside, aren't we all here to be a doctor? I'm just hoping that you include your country in that dream. Smiles everyone! :D

Good observation. A lot of people who post in forums that have a tendency to compare schools end up puffing out a lot of "my-school-is-the-best" air. Not that they're not justified, or that they don't have the right, but sometimes it's all argumentative and doesn't help address the issue of the thread starter.

Yes, it's a relatively big risk to enter ASMPH because its just starting. But then, you have to consider that you have to start somewhere. And the people teaching in ASMPH won't be "just starting." These are people who have lots of clinical and/or teaching experience.

And you have to start sometime. Why not now, when doctors keep leaving the country? I don't blame MD's who leave for the US or Australia. If you enter med school with the full intention to take the USMLE, I don't blame you, and MAYBE you shouldn't enter ASMPH (you never know, maybe we do get accredited in 5 years time). But then, ASMPH will be here to help show the way for MD's who do want to stay here for the country.

YES, aren't we all here because there are people who want to become doctors? I hope you eventually serve your country, whether it's because of service or remittance dollars! :laugh: And I do hope everybody encourages everyone else, instead of being haters.

well, for what it's worth... first day of class is on June 18! see you all there (those going to ASMPH)

well, I go for ASMPH!!!.. For it's better to be a multi-rounded clinician someday.. You can function in various areas, as well as in the community setting(with such a great emphasis), with full medical competence and management skill.. Ateneo's med program is boltin' out from the blue and it is aimed to summon future docs, that our "El Filipinas", badly need..

email me at:
[email protected]
[email protected]
09218422676:spam:

any replies??:)[I'll have your slot then..hehe..I wanna be in ASMPH someday, whatever the risk is..]

hi guys. read all the good and bad things about ASMPH in this thread. i really appreciate it, which leads my decision on applying in ateneo. :D just took the nmat last dec9, and it was miserable. :eek: although i really didn't study because... i know it would not a big deal (atleast i know my alma mater would not let me down) hehehe. ;-)

what i like about ateneo is their program of emphasizing on public health which is what our country really needs. :thumbup: im proud to say that i have no plans of working in USA rather i would like to study there then continue my work here in the Philippines. ;)

plus, i really like their campus; its new, lots of restaurants around, near robinsons galleria, metrowalk....etc! :p

although it's new, but i believe all med schools started just like ASMPH :) the difference is, it is well planned (imagine 10years - whow, its a lot of preparation), their dual degree, their concern on the community and teaching to be SERVANT LEADERS. i guess that's the biggest/grandest role i could be in the near future. :)

i just hope i can get qualified. ill make good on my essay and on the interview. :cool:

oops, my another problem is, the tuition fee! does anybody know here what's the real deal? :confused: of course tuition fees increases every year... arrrggH!!

anyway, thanks for reading my comment about ASMPH. ;) For those who all ready got in, CONGRATULATIONS! i'll be expecting great! it doesn't matter whether you top the boards exams, or be in the top schools, it's all in the PERFORMANCE as they say it. hope you all do well and prove the others that you made the right decision, at least i hope i did. :)

bye!

Hello... I am an incoming student of ASMPH. The reason for the early confirmation is because of the summer transition program (transumm) that will be required of the students who have not completed the requisite cognates (for the management degree) during their undergraduate education. The program will run from April 23 to June 1. I think it's pretty intensive.

I believe to many of us who chose to go to ASMPH, our main goal was really to remain in the Philippines; to be doctors for the Filipinos. Yes, seeking ample livelihood for one's family is reason enough for the decision of many to practice their craft overseas (especially the US). However, here's some good news for the country, there are still many others who have hope for our nation. I'm personally very optimistic about it (no one can change that, and i think no one should even try to). Why stop them from having hope, right?

More relevant this holy week, i want to ask you who say you believe in Christ... Knowing their situation seemed beyond despair during His time, imagine yourself discouraging Jesus from being "idealistic for God". I ask you, what's your position? And do you think the hope carried by Christianity can still exist if not for Jesus' love and belief that we can be saved? Personally, by "wasting a year" to wait for ASMPH, with its outright vision set, I believe I'm simply choosing Christ's path and example that i myself be an example for others. While now it still is the path least taken, I would say, at least there are still some willing souls.

Now as for certainty, yes, we acknowledge the possibility of instability in governance, system and academic curricula, but i have to admit that it's the dedication and sincerity (and maybe also the sheer talent) of my batch-mates that puts me at peace. I know for a fact that we will do our best to ensure that the teachers perform as well as we ourselves would motivate each other to do well.

Eventually, if our batch does perform in the boards, then it's only fair that we all (students, faculty, and administration) share the fruits of that success. What for take all the credit? To blame your school would be to taint your own credentials since graduating from that very school.

Here's some news... I have some friends who have already completed their 1st year in UST but who have decided to apply to ASMPH, despite knowing they'll have to start from scratch. This perhaps is the power of idealism?

Here's my advice, if you intend to work in another country, i would say, ASMPH may not be the best choice for you (with all sincerity). But if you have high hopes for [the abandoned in] our nation, and you are not afraid to have less than you could, then maybe, even without the best academic credentials, you may well be what the school is looking for. The school's program is what's needed for THIS country, and not elsewhere.

It's only in accepting death that one starts to live.

Btw, we are affiliated with public hospitals as well, one of which for certain is the Quezon Memorial Medical Center. And the seeming 1 year delay in getting your MD is not really a delay coz the 5th year is merely your internship.

God bless you all... :)

It's been over a year. I'm a 2nd year med student at the ASMPH now, and all i can say is, I made a wise decision by entering this school. I can't see myself thriving and enjoying med school life (academically and socially) anywhere else than here :)...

In fact, i can't express enough how excited i still am about everything in this school. And if you have fears about the professors and mentors, oh man, i can promise you that you won't get as large a pool of highly qualified physician-instructors as you would here (except for a couple other schools maybe :)).

I also don't want to miss out on the point that we had a lot of clinical exposure in our first year and learnt most physical examination procedures that other schools teach only in 3rd year or 2nd year at best. In fact we did physical examinations on real OB patients at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center already. Most others of course were with volunteers at school. For history taking, we had our experience at the Medical City hospital in our first month or so of med school :).

Anyway, just to inform everyone, we are obtaining an MBA degree, and not an MM. I assure you, management education will make a huge difference to your medical careers. In fact, if you look at many renowned/successful doctors, they have a masters degree as well (it's harder to get this in the middle of your medical career). By the way, we also just had our summer internship for management (I had mine at the American Eye Center) from May to June 2008... so many things we gained!

Anyway, I hope to see many more of you in the future! Our country has more hope than you may perceive it has :)...

God bless everyone!

Last edited:
Hi guys. Im a 4th year Biology student who will be graduating this March and I'll be taking the NMAT in December.. so really nervous :scared:...
Anyways i'd like to know what's the cut-off score to get in ASMPH...
Im actually torn between ASMPH and St. Luke's... :confused:
what are the pros and cons of the two (especially on tuition, faculty and curriculum) and how many applicants are admitted in freshman year??

Insights/opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Im from ASMPH, and I gotta say, ITS WORTH IT!! i mean, you really see where your money goes. We have great facilities, equipments, and 95% of professors are from UP (so we're like the extension of UPCM, hehe:laugh:). Plus, We have superb environment for learning (The Medical City for some patient exposures, and Labor Watch). Furthermore, we already have clinical rotations and patient exposure as early as FIRST YEAR (we already had clinical rotation on Quirino Medical Center for our Normal Obstetrics course :laugh:).The school offers an MD-MBA degree, and it really is very challenging in terms of studying to become a Doctor and a Manager at the same time, especially in med school. For me, super hard work is the key. Hehe..

BTW, ASMPH is already accredited by IMED,the link's here if you want proof

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp?...=Asia&psize=25

NOTE: MEDICAL CITY IS NOT OUR PERMANENT TRAINING HOSPITAL. Clerkships (4th yr) and Internships (5th) are already incorporated in the 5 year course, after that, we go straight to the boards! and we shall be Rotating to different hospitals to GET EXPOSED TO DIFFERENT PATIENTS.. not just patients belonging to Class A and B. Just ask UPCM students about their curriculum.. then that's OUR curriculum too (Modular; kinda) PLUS, an MBA course.

Last edited:
Im an incoming med student this june 2010, and im torn between USTFMS and ASMPH... I want to go to Ateneo, but my family thinks it would be wiser if I go to UST instead. What do you guys think?

It's been over a year. I'm a 2nd year med student at the ASMPH now, and all i can say is, I made a wise decision by entering this school. I can't see myself thriving and enjoying med school life (academically and socially) anywhere else than here :)...

In fact, i can't express enough how excited i still am about everything in this school. And if you have fears about the professors and mentors, oh man, i can promise you that you won't get as large a pool of highly qualified physician-instructors as you would here (except for a couple other schools maybe :)).

I also don't want to miss out on the point that we had a lot of clinical exposure in our first year and learnt most physical examination procedures that other schools teach only in 3rd year or 2nd year at best. In fact we did physical examinations on real OB patients at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center already. Most others of course were with volunteers at school. For history taking, we had our experience at the Medical City hospital in our first month or so of med school :).

Anyway, just to inform everyone, we are obtaining an MBA degree, and not an MM. I assure you, management education will make a huge difference to your medical careers. In fact, if you look at many renowned/successful doctors, they have a masters degree as well (it's harder to get this in the middle of your medical career). By the way, we also just had our summer internship for management (I had mine at the American Eye Center) from May to June 2008... so many things we gained!

Anyway, I hope to see many more of you in the future! Our country has more hope than you may perceive it has :)...

God bless everyone!

3 years have passed; it seems all too quick. I'm going into clerkship (YL8) in about a months time. If there was anything that i felt upon realizing that the last few days of my school year was nearing, it was that of nostalgic gratitude. I learnt so much in those classrooms... from my professors, my patients, my peers...

I never would have imagined that i would look back 3 short years, and see on hindsight how much i have grown in so many ways. Most importantly, i feel i really am on my way to becoming the doctor i hope to be, holistic in approach to patient care, and always with mindful concern about the patients' interests, and utmost desires and needs.

Year after year, it felt as if it only got better for us students. Definitely, from YL5-YL7, its gotten only more exciting for us, with increasingly more exposure to patients, and more management classes as well, it really has given most of us enough confidence to go out into the field, with more excitement than fear. In fact, to culminate our YL7 (3rd Year), we had one-on-one preceptorials with consultants, where we each had to go through a complete history and physical examination on patients up to diagnosis and management (similar to UST's Revalida). It was comforting to see most of my peers at ease, maybe even eager, to show what they were capable of. We had to pass 2 of 3 patient encounters to be promoted. Most, if not all, probably made it. :)

I must admit, it was more this year that i really got to appreciate full well the "spiral curriculum" the school had intended for us. Learning what was normal in an organ system basis at first year (YL5). Again, the abnormal in an organ system basis in YL6. And again, both the normal and abnormal, ingrained deeper and more meaningfully, as applied in the diagnosis and management of our patients in YL7. Our experience of the clinicals was made even richer with our added knowledge about ethics and medical jurisprudence. It was completely exhilarating to have one of the cases (about medical negligence) reenacted in our class. An actual judge, some lawyers, and 2 doctors (acting as witnesses) reenacted a moot court scene.

I can go on an on about the many fruitful events in my life in the ASMPH thus far, but suffice it to say, i simply want to reiterate what i have said year after year in this forum, that i made the right decision to go into this institution.

One final note, for our clerkship rotations, we will be rotating in at least 7 hospitals, TMC, being the only private hospital, the others (without being specific), perhaps some of the best government hospitals in their fields :)... believe me, there would be more than enough exposure and clinical experience to gain from.

To all those considering their Med School: When deciding your school... always ask what your primary goal is in becoming a doctor. When you read through the history of the school, and the various commentaries about the ASMPH, and by the end of it you are able to tell yourself that "this school is for me", then perhaps it might just be for you.

Congratulations to all the newly accepted medical students of ASMPH, Batch of 2015! :)

Im from ASMPH, and I gotta say, ITS WORTH IT!! i mean, you really see where your money goes. We have great facilities, equipments, and 95% of professors are from UP (so we're like the extension of UPCM, hehe:laugh:). Plus, We have superb environment for learning (The Medical City for some patient exposures, and Labor Watch). Furthermore, we already have clinical rotations and patient exposure as early as FIRST YEAR (we already had clinical rotation on Quirino Medical Center for our Normal Obstetrics course :laugh:).The school offers an MD-MBA degree, and it really is very challenging in terms of studying to become a Doctor and a Manager at the same time, especially in med school. For me, super hard work is the key. Hehe..

BTW, ASMPH is already accredited by IMED,the link's here if you want proof

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp?...=Asia&psize=25

NOTE: MEDICAL CITY IS NOT OUR PERMANENT TRAINING HOSPITAL. Clerkships (4th yr) and Internships (5th) are already incorporated in the 5 year course, after that, we go straight to the boards! and we shall be Rotating to different hospitals to GET EXPOSED TO DIFFERENT PATIENTS.. not just patients belonging to Class A and B. Just ask UPCM students about their curriculum.. then that's OUR curriculum too (Modular; kinda) PLUS, an MBA course.

YES, recognized by IMED (FAIMER). But NOT APPROVED by the State of CA Medical Board, follow this link: http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

ASMPH is marketed towards those who want to stay in the Philippines. Will it be in the California list eventually? It is a legit school and it will be eventually. The youngest school in the List is California is St. Luke's.
If you are planning to practice in California within the next few years, of course it is not the place for you.

* huge BUMP (2 years)

Can any student provide an update on ASMPH's California approval? It's been 5 years.

Also, if approval happens after you enroll, does it not apply to you? I heard somewhere that if you enroll before a school is approved, you are not able to get licensed in that state, even the school has approval by the time you graduate. ???

I'm a Fil-am and I do share the same desires to serve the Philippines in the future. But being a current med student, I had every intention of beating up the USMLE. I am interested in ASMPH's program (will be starting over, since the curric. is so different), but just being real, I need to be able to take US boards and do some post graduate medical education there. I plan on practicing both state side and in the PI (and YES, this is possible, depending on specialization/sub-specialization)

Any updates? Thanks in advance.

lmesina,

PM inbound.

War Machine,

PM responded. lol.

** for those incoming to PI.. try to AVOID riding jeepneys post-10pm if possible. There are many robbers (called hold-uppers) here. It's easy to get confident when you've ridden them for a couple months, but it's best to always stay vigilant.

* huge BUMP (2 years)

Can any student provide an update on ASMPH's California approval? It's been 5 years.

Also, if approval happens after you enroll, does it not apply to you? I heard somewhere that if you enroll before a school is approved, you are not able to get licensed in that state, even the school has approval by the time you graduate. ???

I'm a Fil-am and I do share the same desires to serve the Philippines in the future. But being a current med student, I had every intention of beating up the USMLE. I am interested in ASMPH's program (will be starting over, since the curric. is so different), but just being real, I need to be able to take US boards and do some post graduate medical education there. I plan on practicing both state side and in the PI (and YES, this is possible, depending on specialization/sub-specialization)

Any updates? Thanks in advance.

hi! i was also wondering the same thing. im planning on practicing in both countries but i'm not sure if i'll be able to do that if i study in ASMPH. Ateneo's actually my first choice tied with UERM. the only 2 reasons why im still second guessing ASMPH is not being able to take the USMLE and the pioneer class is only about to graduate so they don't have a track record yet on the PI boards and noone's sure if they'll do well.

you can take the USMLE since ASMPH is listed in FAIMER, whether you'd be able to get a license in California and some of the states is the question.

you can take the USMLE since ASMPH is listed in FAIMER, whether you'd be able to get a license in California and some of the states is the question.

yes i know, but what i mean is why would i take the USMLE if i cant get licensed anyway?

well not all states follow the same list as Cali, it really depends on where you're trying to go. Ateneo is a very solid school and the facilities are really nice. i have a cousin that goes to UERM and she really likes it. do you need to stay in Manila? I have a bunch of top notch former classmates that ended up going to St. Louis in Baguio, again, very solid school and recognized in all states in US, good board pass rate in PI boards too plus they cater to foreigners (Indians, Fil-Ams...), and Baguio is a neat city.

glad to see some dialogue on ASMPH going.. I too really liked what I saw when I visited ASMPH, and having visited all the schools in Manila, there's really no comparison. Both the school and Medical City hospital are beautiful (but of course, the best hospitals to do training are the ones that provide good cases and patient exposure, i.e. Querino, PGH, etc..) Maybe only St. Luke's in Global city (A hospital much nicer than any American hospital I've seen) could top it.

My question still remains unanswered though: is a future CA approval retroactive? As in: if I start now, and somehow ASMPH gets CA approval during my 3rd year.. will I be able to be licensed in CA?

I've heard before that if you enroll during a time when a school is not approved, you don't get those licensing privileges.. can anyone verify?

I too, am torn between what school to go to, and knowing this info will really help out

Last edited:
well not all states follow the same list as Cali, it really depends on where you're trying to go. Ateneo is a very solid school and the facilities are really nice. i have a cousin that goes to UERM and she really likes it. do you need to stay in Manila? I have a bunch of top notch former classmates that ended up going to St. Louis in Baguio, again, very solid school and recognized in all states in US, good board pass rate in PI boards too plus they cater to foreigners (Indians, Fil-Ams...), and Baguio is a neat city.

yes i'm only considering schools in manila, i dont think i can survive anywhere else :)

if i go to the states naman, i'm only considering going to CA and NY because thats where most of my family are. so right now, looks like UERM would have to be my first choice

yes i'm only considering schools in manila, i dont think i can survive anywhere else :)

if i go to the states naman, i'm only considering going to CA and NY because thats where most of my family are. so right now, looks like UERM would have to be my first choice

are you already accepted to asmph and just need to choose between the two now? if so, have you inquired about CA licensure from them?

are you already accepted to asmph and just need to choose between the two now? if so, have you inquired about CA licensure from them?

interviews are still ongoing, mine is tomorrow actually. i dont want to ask during the interview because that might lessen my chances of getting in if they know that i'm interested in practicing abroad

btw, if you dont mind me asking, are you also an incoming freshman or are you already a med student?

interviews are still ongoing, mine is tomorrow actually. i dont want to ask during the interview because that might lessen my chances of getting in if they know that i'm interested in practicing abroad

btw, if you dont mind me asking, are you also an incoming freshman or are you already a med student?

Yea makes sense..

I'm already a med student, however; not transferring. I'm actually doing relatively well in my institution- but the nature of asmph is just different as you already know so can't transfer cuz its so different (business + med classes). I did one semester only, plus asmph starts in April actually, so not really losing time.

I believe the MBA will be worth it.. it takes a certain type of person to want to pursue classes that take into account other physician roles other than primarily treating individual patients.. I know of med students at other schools that transferred from asmph because they realized the curriculum wasn't for them. As for not having that CA approval, it's gonna hurt, but we have to weigh our potential benefits..
I've been in PI for 5 months, and I'm completely committed to practicing both here (PI) and abroad.

I also am hoping for St. Luke's, as there might be a possibility that I could pursue their MS Molecular Medicine degree when I reach 3rd yr med (thereby grad. w/ MD/MS).. SO there you have it, the reason I'm moving schools - anything that gets me more than the MD.. of course- I'm genuinely interested in research and public health. Also, SLCM is CA approved..

Last edited:
hi guys! the list of accepted applicants was released earlier today :)

yes it was released.. =) and judging from your " =) " I take it you've been accepted.. I have been as well.. and as of now, leaning towards this 75%.. I really don't think that lack of CA approval should be a deciding factor, but I am still considering that UERM allows for US Clinical experience.. and pursuing an M.Sc.(St. Luke's) from ASMPH would probably be impossible since it already has the MBA with it.. (Uerm said it would be okay to pursue the MS mol.med. from there)

Will try to speak with someone from the CA m.board about retroactive/specific approval. I believe the ADMU has linkages to the University of California system already which is a positive thing.

Last edited:
yes ive been accepted! im leaning more towards ASMPH now because ive been reading some bad stuff about UERM in another forum. plus i do like the feeling of being among a selected few in ASMPH unlike with UERM where i think they have about 700 names in their list (and theyre only taking in 400) with a second list still coming. ASMPH will still only be taking 150 students so confirmation will probably on a first come first served basis like most schools. and with ADMU being affiliated with a number of schools outside the country, im sure in time ASMPH will be as well.

see you soon then :)

yes ive been accepted! im leaning more towards ASMPH now because ive been reading some bad stuff about UERM in another forum. plus i do like the feeling of being among a selected few in ASMPH unlike with UERM where i think they have about 700 names in their list (and theyre only taking in 400) with a second list still coming. ASMPH will still only be taking 150 students so confirmation will probably on a first come first served basis like most schools. and with ADMU being affiliated with a number of schools outside the country, im sure in time ASMPH will be as well.

see you soon then :)

Curious as to where you heard bad things about UERM. Mind hooking me up with the website (if it's not pinoy.md). You can PM me, because I like to know where I stand when I go to "unfamiliar territory." Thanks!